The Town (Book 1, Lonstino...

By moudenes

Ximena Gaytan moves temporarily to the coastal town of Lonstino to work on her newest romance book and mend h... More

Chapter 1 - Writer's Block
Chapter 2 - The Mechanic
Chapter 3 - The Dreamer
Chapter 4 - The Professor
Chapter 5 - The Candy Maker
Chapter 6 - Moving In
Chapter 8 - Fresh Bread
Chapter 9 - Sweet as Candy
Chapter 10 - Appearances
Chapter 11 - Julio's
Chapter 12 - Heart to Heart
Chapter 13 - An Unexpected Call
Chapter 14 - Double Trouble
Chapter 15 - Breaking the Ice
Chapter 16 - Bad Memories
Chapter 17 - Assumptions
Chapter 18 - Saved
Chapter 19 - Letters
Chapter 20 - Confessions
Chapter 21 - Brainstorm
Chapter 22 - Paragraph
Chapter 23 - Encounter
Chapter 24 - Pastry Box
Chapter 25 - Raincheck
Chapter 26 - Bitter
Chapter 27 - Realization
Chapter 28 - Options
Chapter 29 - Truth
Chapter 30 - Hope
Chapter 31 - Date
Chapter 32 - Boys
Chapter 33 - Deirdre
Chapter 34 - Hannah
Chapter 35 - Justice
Chapter 36 - Evening
Chapter 37 - Solutions
Chapter 38 - Catfight
Chapter 39 - Bail
Chapter 40 - Sea Rose
Chapter 41 - Plans
Chapter 42 - Ideas
Chapter 43 - Fire
Chapter 44 - Meeting
Chapter 45 - Oliver
Chapter 46 - Suspect
Chapter 47 - Gone
Chapter 48 - Frustration
Chapter 49 - Regret
Chapter 50 - Welcome Party
Chapter 51 - All for Ximena
The Town - The Playlist

Chapter 7 - The Entrepreneur

14.3K 628 26
By moudenes

GREG

My only hope is that I didn't leave a bad impression on Ximena. She touched my knee and I freaked out momentarily. Only my parents and close friends know the extent of my injuries after the accident. She looked embarrassed by my reaction and I didn't mean to take such a defensive stance. It's a pity because I spent most of my days by myself and I was enjoying her company. She's easygoing and I think we could become good friends if she forgets what happened last night.

Going up the stairs has not been easy for me in the past years and now balancing a tray it's an even bigger challenge. I knock on her door and she smiles when she sees me.

"Hey, Greg. Good morning."

"Good morning to you too. I was fixing breakfast for myself and assumed that you packed no groceries," I motion with my head to the tray in my hands.

"That's so kind! I just woke up. Breakfast wasn't even in my radar yet. What's this?" She picks one of the cookies from the tray and examines it.

"One of Lewis' specialties, peanut brittle cookies. He always spares some inventory for me."

She closes her eyes while savoring the first bite. I know how good they are and need to control myself to not eat the whole box in one go.

"This is seriously delicious! What kind of store does he have?" She picks the tray from my hands and sets it on the coffee table.

"He has a confectionery called Candy Pier and also sells some small baked goods. It's on the street parallel to Main. I swear it is the most beautiful business in Lonstino. You should check it out when you have some time."

"I definitely will. And what time does the fairgrounds open?" She motions for me to sit on the couch while she nests in an armchair.

"Today at six. Saturday and Sunday from noon."

"I think I will go there this evening. I've been looking at the Ferris wheel all evening."

"Do you want me to call Charlie to go with you? I have a late class today."

"Thanks for the offer, but I like to explore on my own. Once I get my car back it will be even easier for me to go on adventures."

"If that's what you like then you can take the bus at the corner of Harbor and Main. It makes a stop close to the fairgrounds. I'm going to the supermarket in a few minutes. Would you like to go with me or do it on your own?"

"I can use a ride there. I don't know how long it will take to get my car fixed. Let me put on some shoes."

Ximena goes to find her shoes and I look around the apartment. She's definitely made it her own already; books, notebooks, trinket boxes and candles lie everywhere. She moved an armchair next to the window where she's currently using the bench as a desk. She wasn't joking when she said she liked the view.

XIMENA

Greg and I had a fun time together this morning. During our car ride he kept pointing at buildings for me to use as reference points when I go out on my own. He also told me about his family. His parents are also college professors and decided to move away to be closer to the institutions where they teach, after Hannah married Lewis, and left the house to Greg.

The rest of the afternoon I spent organizing my notes and I have a good idea of the direction I want my story to take. I've allowed myself a few days to settle in and will soon begin my writing sprints. I hope I don't get disappointed by what I find at the fairgrounds and that I can eat a candied apple. I've never had the pleasure of eating one as my mother wouldn't allow it. If I get my hands on popcorn and cotton candy, I'll consider that my dinner. The bus ride gives me another glimpse of Lonstino and the rocky coast and the early evening colors on the sky, purples, pinks and oranges, become my transition to the colorful lights at the entrance of the fairgrounds.

I feel like a child again as I approach the striped front tent. The tent houses a small souvenir shop and a convenience store and in the middle is the entrance booth. I love trinket stores and after getting some attraction tokens, I browse the souvenir inventory from the outside. Music and happy sounds call my attention and I follow them. The attractions are spread out on the grounds and I don't know where to begin. There are tea cups, a caterpillar, bumper cars, a space shot, and even a tunnel of love. Unfortunately, the carousel seems to be out of service. It's almost a work of art. The horses look hand carved and their paint is fading in places, the sign of too many little hands touching them and holding fast.

My first choice becomes the caterpillar as it brings good memories about a time when life with my parents was simpler. My dad loved carnival rides and games too. I felt so proud watching him beat the odds at the prize stands and getting beautiful toys for me. I take a seat on the ride and realize how small I was then as I take almost all the space now. The ride starts and everything spins. I love how the lights dance to the music and enjoy the tickle in my belly. The ride finishes and I find it too bad when I need to give my seat to the people next in line. As I make my way down the small staircase, I see him.

He holds a little girl by her hand. She sobs while he looks around the crowd. Then he goes down on his knees and talks to her. She nods and he cleans her tears with his thumbs. His smile widens as he waves at someone, a woman parting the crowd. She hugs the girl and shakes hands with this man who then walks in the opposite direction. Interested in finding out more about him I follow from a distance. He talks to some elderly visitors and points them to places, talks with the attraction attendants and picks up trash from the floor. He turns his head while disposing of it and our eyes lock. I'm frozen to my spot as he walks towards me, obviously caught red handed. His eyes are very pale, even in the dim light of where we stand.

"You must be Ximena," he offers me a hand to shake and a friendly smile.

"How do you know my name?" I take a step back, feeling surprised.

"Walker called me to say you might come around today. Also, our crowd is usually a lot older than you look," he chuckles.

"Oh! You are Brian!"

"That's my name. Welcome to the Lonstino Fairgrounds."

"Thank you. I'm enjoying the place very much."

"What were you planning on doing next? Maybe I can give you some tips."

"I wanted a candy apple," I laugh.

"Ah, those are good, although I favor the caramel nut ones."

"I'm open to one of those as well."

He motions with his head to follow him and he escorts me to the apple stand. While his staff member assists other customers, he gets behind the counter, grabs two apples and prepares them. He hands me a candied one and keeps the caramel apple.

"This is really good!" I say after biting greedily into the apple. "I always wanted to try one."

A candy thread escapes onto my chin and Brian wipes it with a small napkin.

"Oh, I'm really sorry," he laughs. "It was pure instinct. My friends say I'm constantly cleaning stuff."

"Connor!" Someone shouts behind us.

"Jaden..." Brian mumbles.

"I've been looking all over this fucking place for you. Your mom said you were at your office. I see you are getting acquainted with the new little toy in town."

"Excuse me?"

"This is nonsense," Brian takes a step in front of me. "Yes, I was at my office and now I'm doing my rounds. I met Ximena minutes ago."

"What the fuck gives you the right to call me a little toy?" I stand in front of Jaden while Brian looks alarmed.

"Chill, Ximena. It was a joke," Jaden smirks.

I come inches away from his face. "You better watch your fucking mouth."

I turn around and leave, throwing my apple in the nearest trash can. What a dick! The little note I made on the bus times doesn't make my mood any better. I'll have to wait 20 minutes while I boil with annoyance. Suddenly, I feel a hand on my arm and lift my fist, landing a punch.

"Ow!" Brian holds the side of his face.

"Oh my God! I'm so sorry!"

"You pack a heavy punch!"

"Oh, shit. I'm really sorry. It's instinct."

Brian stares at me and lowers his hand. I can see the exact spot where my fist came in contact with his face. He laughs.

"Save this for Jaden."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.9K 803 35
You work the night shift at your family Cafe. it's boring and you've always felt lonely, until someone special walks into your life and flips it upsi...
18 2 12
In the heart of the city, Sophie's life takes an unexpected turn when she meets two intriguing individuals who represent her dreams and her doubts. A...
3.9K 536 39
Michael Redmont returns to Greenwood after three years of traveling and receives a reality check when his book manuscript gets rejected, yet his bigg...
10.9K 133 18
18 year old Emily and her mom moves to a new city. She has to face new challenges by finding new friends, going to a new school and finding a job. A...