Hood » LotR ((ON HOLD))

By when-they-write

❝ Hood. Robin Hood, at your service. ❞ Robin wasn't sure how he managed to get caught in the middle of a war... More

A/N ~ Teaser ~ Cast
Chapter One: Hood
Chapter Two: I Sold It
Chapter Three: The Avari
Chapter Four: To Imladris
Chapter Six: Darkness Not Defeated
Chapter Seven: Welcome to Gondor
Chapter Eight: Elessar
Chapter Nine: The Execution of Robin Hood
Chapter Ten: Not Quite Dead
Chapter Eleven: A Deal
Chapter Twelve: Frenemies and Enemies
Chapter Thirteen: Sewage and Angry Kings Don't Mix
Chapter Fourteen: Gwath
Chapter Fifteen: The Dead Marshes
Chapter Sixteen: On the Verge
Chapter Seventeen: Don't Follow the Lights
Chapter Eighteen: The Plan
Chapter Nineteen: Desert Battle
Chapter Twenty: Captive
Chapter Twenty-One: Sacrifice
Chapter Twenty-Two: Welcome to Dorwinion
Chapter Twenty-Three: The Slave Market
Chapter Twenty-Four: Unexpected
Chapter Twenty-Five: How the Tables Turn
Chapter Twenty-Six: Fate
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Silothrien
Chapter Twenty Eight: Familiar Eyes

Chapter Five: The Road to Gondor

819 65 155
By when-they-write

It was the clanging of keys that awoke Robin from his restless sleep.

He jolted with a start, sitting up from his position slumped in the corner. Sleep clouded his eyes, his stomach rumbling as it was awoken.

For the love of all things orcish, he was starving. 

It took him a moment to realize that a lithe figure stood in the door of his cell, flanked by two elven guards. As Robin blinked into reality, he realized it was one of the twins.

Elladan... he narrowed his eyes. Or was is the other one... Elrohir?

"I didn't expect a visit," Robin grumbled, pushing himself to his feet. "Or I would have cleaned up my lovely abode."

The twin scowled-- it was Elrohir, Robin realized. He would never forget that look; from so many months ago, leaving the ellon in the very same cell they stood in now.

"I cannot believe Estel wants anything to do with your stench," Elrohir muttered, gesturing the guards forward. "He needs to fix his priorities."

The other two elves grabbed his arms and before Robin could blink, his wrists were secure in a thin, silvery rope. Elven rope, he realized with a silent curse.

"I should start charging for my presence," Robin gave the rope a useless tug. "I bet I could live like a king with all of this demand."

Elrohir's eyes narrowed until they were dark, menacing slits. Robin gulped, cursing his quick tongue.

Then the elf turned, stalking from the cell. Robin stumbled as he was pushed after him, biting hard on his tongue.

They went back up the stairs, toward the outside dining hall beyond where they had entered the day before. Passing Noldor stared as Robin moved by, whispering among themselves.

He stared back, fighting the urge to wink at the wide-eyed elleths.

Upon arriving at the great hall, he first noticed Elanor, with her back to him at the table. Gimli sat beside her, Thralor fast asleep in his chair across from the two of them.

Gimli and Elanor picked at piles of crisp green lettuce on plates, with golden goblets in front of them. But Elrohir moved past the two, and Robin then noticed Legolas sitting at another table with Elladan.

"Here he is," Elrohir muttered as they approached.

"Here I am indeed," Robin smirked. "So what is this, my own little welcoming party? Do I get a citywide tour? A cake, perhaps?"

"Have you considered gagging him?" Elladan groaned. "I don't think I can take this for the rest of the way to Gondor."

Robin's attention snapped to the elf. "You're coming?"

Elladan returned his stare with a hard look, the dark blue of his eyes flashing. "Is that a problem, Hood?"

Robin resisted the urge to curse the Valar above. His chances of escape just took a flying leap into the grave. "Only a couple hundred."

"Is the poor thief scared of my brother dearest?" Elrohir flounced down beside Legolas, resting an eblow on his shoulder. "Don't worry, I argued against him accompanying us as well."

Robin's eyes snapped to the younger twin. Oh, this was just getting better and better.

As if to relieve the tension, Legolas chuckled lightly, taking a sip of his goblet. "Estel will be gladdened to see both of you."

Eru, Robin rolled his eyes, withholding a huff. "So, there's no party?"

A footstep sounded behind him, and Robin whirled around.

Elanor stood with the dwarves, her bright red hair pulled over her shoulder in a braid. She looked like she had washed up, her face clean of dirt and her boots shining.

She still wore her Dunedain cloak though. "When are we departing?"

Elladan stood abruptly, brushing off his tunic. "When your companions are packed and ready."

"I'm quite ready," Thralor burped, then made a strange face. "Durin's beard, why don't you elves have anything other than lettuce? My breath tastes like leaves."

Elrohir stared at the dwarf, a look of wonder and slight distaste in his eyes. Then he turned to Legolas. "We leave now then?"

"Are you sure you wish to accompany our group?"

Elladan chortled, waving a hand through the air. "Lord Erestor would love us gone, and he can watch father's chair."

"Anyway," Elrohir chimed in. "I haven't seen my little brother in months. It is time we discuss his rule and remind him of all his past mistakes."

Robin rolled his eyes, breaking from the group. He didn't have time to chat-- he blinked. "Aye, you Noldo drink wine, correct?"

Elrohir broke off from his tale of Aragorn's childhood, arching a brow. "Why?"

"I need a bloody drink," Robin sighed. "Listening to you all gabber like old ladies is taking its toll on my mental health."

"I think it would be the drinks themselves taking such a toll, laddie," Gimli rumbled.

Robin rolled his eyes, giving his bonds another useless tug. Already, they were starting to irritate his wrists. "And I thank you for that lovely input. So can I order a flask?"

"I changed my mind," Elladan grumbled. "I don't think I will be able to handle him longer than a day."

Robin scowled as the others started away. Elrohir signaled a few guards, who vanished for a few moments, then returned with horses.

The guards let loose of the reins and the horses threw their manes, trotting to their chosen rider, one for each group member.

Robin eyed the horse that approached him-- a black mare with a single white hoof.

He tilted his head, holding out his bound hands and clicking his tongue. The mare snuffled at his palm for a moment and Robin grinned. "Suil, mellon-nin."

"You're giving Hood a horse?" Thralor narrowed his dark eyes distrustfully in Robin's direction.

Elladan looked at the dwarf, then regarded Robin with narrowed eyes. "Gilroc will be tethered to mine. He won't be going anywhere."

"I appreciate the concern," Robin smirked. "Truly, it actually seems like you care. I'm touched."

He swung atop the mare, shifting on the saddle. He never used a saddle.

"You said you were hunting orcs?" Legolas mounted his own white horse. "Are there any others close to here?"

Elrohir shrugged, securing a rope from Robin's horse to the back of his brother's saddle. Robin's face burned and he scowled.

"I thought we had killed the entire group. It was a hunting pack, which is strange, judging by the few numbers left of orc. Usually, they are just fleeing Estel's men."

Legolas's brow furrowed and he nodded, but didn't say a word.

"We were attacked on the way here," Elanor muttered, leading her horse beside Legolas. "They tracked us like prey."

"That is strange indeed," Elrohir murmured. "I wonder why the sudden retaliation? Their numbers only dwindle."

Robin leaned back on his horse-- Gilroc, as Elladan had called him. 

He couldn't help but be slightly interested by their conversation. He had encountered few orcs in his travels, but none of them hunting packs. Plus, the few run-ins he'd had were more than easily dealt with.

Often times, a stab in the gut took out the problem.

Elrohir sighed, gazing around the elven city. Then he turned toward Legolas. "Very well. Shall we?"

"Lead the way, mellon-nin." 

Robin sighed, slumping back. As Elladan started forward, Gilroc followed obediently, hooves clopping as they rode out of the city's vale.

He clenched his jaw, grasping at the ring under his shirt. Valar.

"And then there was the time he first met our sister."

Robin started as his chin hit his chest, sitting straight up in Gilroc's saddle and blinking hard. 

The sun beat down, melting the snow that was still left. The greening spring days were gradually getting warmer-- soon summer season would be upon Middle Earth.

The others had fallen into laughing and joking as Robin lagged behind, dragged behind Elladan's horse. If anything, he had become more and more irritated as the days stretched on, still with no chance of escape.

He had attempted days ago to distract himself by memorizing their path, then by counting every time Thralor grumbled his contempt and obvious dislike for the elves.

But he lost count around thirty-six and eventually fell asleep, almost falling off Gilroc every time his eyes closed.

Yawning, Robin peered up at the slowly setting sun. Mordor, this was taking forever.

He had never quite thought the ride to his impending execution would be quite so long and excruciatingly boring.

Shocking.

"Estel's face was a mix of gaping awe and wide-eyed drool. I swear to the Valar, I almost fell into the riverside laughing."

Robin rolled his eyes, huffing. His stomach rumbled loudly, his parched throat grating in protest as he tried to swallow.

"Are you sure this is Aragorn we're talking about?" Elanor chuckled. Robin blinked-- he hadn't known she had the ability to laugh.

"Only my little brother could have stumbled over his attempt at words, yet somehow looked like a dashing hero at the same time," Elladan snorted. "Twas most certainly him.

"I am curious," Elrohir turned on his horse, looking at Elanor. "How are you acquainted with Estel?

Robin looked up at that, suddenly a little more interested in the conversation. He watched as Elanor's shoulders tensed, her posture turning rigid under her cloak.

"I-- I was but a child when he came among the Dunedain. My parents were killed in an orc raid and he was by my side from the day he learned of their fate. Taught me how to fight, how to shoot."

"Elanor here is one of the best I know," Gimli rumbled. "Could probably even match with Estel in a battle."

Elanor snorted again at that, seeming to relax slightly. "Funny, Gim. But that is very untrue."

"No, he is right," Legolas interjected, casting the girl a sideways smile. "I have seen them spar and it is always close."

Elladan turned on his horse, regarding the Ranger with a look of respect in his dark blue eyes. "I would have to see that sometime."

She laughed again, although this time it only seemed half felt. "Perhaps, elf lord."

"Elf lord?" Elrohir snorted. "My lady, brother dearest here is an orc lord before anything else."

"Then I would be no more than a simple Ranger than a lady," Elanor chuckled. "You may call me Elanor, elf--"

"Elrohir," the twin interrupted. "Then you shall call me Elrohir."

Behind the group of six, Robin faintly wondered how hard he would have to fall off of his horse to knock himself out. Maybe if he hit the dirt at a right angle...

He smacked his lips together, then lifted his head. "Ai, orc lords, I've got a question."

Elladan turned on his horse, regarding Robin with an irritated look. "You can call me elf lord, thieving scum."

"Of course, your orcish majesty," Robin narrowed his eyes. "So when exactly is dinner?"

"You're not getting any dinner with that attitude," Elrohir scoffed. 

Robin fixed his irritation on the other twin. "Oh, I'm sorry, mum. Should I apologize to the nice little orc?"

"By the Valar," Elanor muttered, her voice drifting back. "You never cease to antagonize those around you, do you Hood?"

"I told you, love," Robin's stomach rumbled again. "It's my specialty."

Legolas turned his head to the horizon, then sighed. His eyes looked heavy and he rubbed his face. "Perhaps we should stop for the night. Before his complaining draws all the orcs to our direction."

"How much longer is the road?" Thralor grumbled. 

The blonde elf's brows furrowed as he considered it, then shook his head. "On elvish horses? Three more days perhaps. Four if we run into any trouble."

Robin resisted the urge to groan. For the love of all things--

"Very well, let us rest," Elladan swung off his horse, causing Gilroc's to trod to a sudden stop. Robin rolled his eyes, sitting back in his saddle. "My stomach calls for dinner any way."

Elrohir snorted at that. "Your stomach always call for dinner, brother."

They moved off the road,  deeper into the thick of the trees where they couldn't be easily spotted. 

When they finally halted, Elladan moved over, dragging Robin off his horse. He stumbled slightly as his feet hit forest floor, his legs numb from hours of riding.

"Ai," Robin yanked away. "That's no way to treat an honored guest."

"That is funny," Elladan shot back, turning his back. "But there is no honor to be found any where you are located."

Despite the harsh words, Robin could only shrug, trudging over to one of the trees and slumping against the trunk. He wasn't wrong.

"If it's all the same," he tilted his head against the bark, arching a brow. "I'll take that drink now. I'm sure the orc majesties couldn't travel without Imladris's finest."

Elrohir turned from unpacking his horse, his blue eyes glittering. 

Then from the pack he pulled a bottle wrapped in silver, a smirk tinting his lips. "Indeed. But it is certianly not for you."

To the sound of the others chuckling, Robin pursed his lips, bringing his knees to his chest and narrowing his eyes. "Tell me, Elrondion, do you dislike me for my handsome charm? Or are you actually still bitter about that hanging from your tutu all those months ago?"

Every pair of eyes locked on where he sat. Robin allowed himself a small smirk, watching as the ellon's pale face turn scarlet. "You--!"

"Enough of this," Elanor stepped between Robin and the others, before Elladan could make a move. "I will not be playing mother to this group, so you boys need to pull yourselves together."

Robin smirked but then she rounded on him. 

The heat in her gaze made his smirk wither insantly. "And you need to stop aggravating all of those around you, Hood, unless you wish to come to a much earlier and more painful end."

"Either way I go, I go in style," Robin shrugged, leaning back once more. "Bring it, darling."

Something dangerous in her green eyes sparked, "I wouldn't test that, Hood. You won't get a second warning."

Robin blinked-- but Elanor was already turning away. Furrowing his brows, he chewed on his lower lip, for once feeling at a loss for words.

And he didn't quite like the feeling.

Translations: 

Suil, mellon-nin: greetings, my friend

*the crowd stares in a disbelieving shock*

Is this an update?! Did she actually finally update this gosh be darned story?! What a complete surprise!

I know, I know, I have been terrible with writing my actual stories lately. With ap exams and looming finals, I've been a little stressed.

But it's been a long night, and here we are! This chapter is a little shorter than my usual 3000+ but it would have carried too long if I kept going.

I would love to hear your thoughts though! Also, for VS/CL readers, Crownless is in work and the updates will be Fridays rather than Thursdays... AND the official release date set for June 1st! Yay!

Discussion starter: the road to Gondor! What awaits our thief there? Will Aragorn actually call for Robin's execution?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.4K 244 34
Discover the incredible story of a girl who, together with Thorin's Company embarks on a journey through the Middle-Earth to regain the former house...
3.2K 92 23
Here I am back again with my Elfling series here is book l all over again If you haven't read The first or second, third or fourth book then I would...
286K 8.1K 31
You are living the good life as a she-elf in Rivendell when Aragorn comes to visit. You assume it's to visit Arwen, your older sister. But then your...
77K 4.7K 43
Frodo was meant to be the Ring-bearer. But when he falls under Sauron's control and vanishes before Elrond's council, where does that leave the Fello...