Best for Us (GU #3)

By ranneley

Alam ni Vanessa na walang patutunguhan ang paghangang nararamdaman niya para kay Tyler. Dakilang playboy ito... More

characters + playlist
then pt. 1
then pt. 2
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty-one
twenty-three
twenty-four
twenty-five
twenty-six
twenty-seven
twenty-eight
twenty-nine
thirty
thirty-one
thirty-two
thirty-three
thirty-four
thirty-five
thirty-six
thirty-seven
thirty-eight
thirty-nine
forty
forty-one
forty-two
forty-three
forty-four
forty-five
forty-six
forty-seven
forty-eight
forty-nine
fifty
fifty-one
fifty-two
fifty-three
fifty-four
fifty-five
epilogue

twenty-two

1.7K 55 14
By ranneley

Twenty-Two: Tyler Osmond

"BROS, there's this newly opened place to hang out. Heard the foods and drinks are really great. Lets try?" aya ni Simon nang matapos ang huli naming klase.

"Sure, I'm game," sagot ni Ethan saka bumaling sa akin. "How about you, Tyler?"

I looked at them both and smiled as I shook my head. "Sorry, have to go somewhere."

Agad namang bumakas ang pagkadismaya sa mga mukha nila.

"What, again?" si Simon ang sumagot. "Lagi na lang, bro ha. Are you sure you want to miss this, Gianna's group will be there. I'm sure you already know how the girl is so into you."

Napailing ko. I knew it. When Simon's like this, there was always an ulterior motive. And I didn't need a genius to know that Gianna might have talk to him about this. Hindi rin naman kaila sa akin kung paano gusto pormahan ni Simon 'yung kaibigan ni Gianna. Some girl I couldn't remember the name.

Gianna Carlos is in the same course as ours. Quite popular with the male population. Heard she was the Ms. Architecture in the previous year.

But Simon was right. Hindi lihim sa akin 'yung pagkagusto ni Gianna. Since the first day of school, already heard a lot people talking about that. Marami rin ang direktang nagsasabi sa akin.

Gianna is really a beautiful girl. And even I told myself before this year started that I would lie low with my activities, I was also not planning to be celibate for the whole school year. A little fooling around certainly wouldn't harm me.

Gianna could do, honestly. But it was just that lately, I was not feeling doing it.

Hindi ko talaga alam.

If this was so last year, the notches on my bedpost would keep on counting. I mean figuratively speaking. Not that I really keep one.

But that was the thing. I was not interested of any of the girls lately. Hindi ko alam kung anong nagbago pero okay ako na kahit wala. Okay ako na ganito lang.

Bumuntong hininga ako saka binigyan ulit ng isang iling si Simon. "I'm sorry, bro. But this is really important. Tingnan natin sa susunod." Tumayo na ako, isinuot iyong backpack saka nagpaalam na sa kanilang dalawa. "Sige na. Mauna na ako. Bye, you guys enjoy!"

I left them on their seats but before I could walk out of the door, I heard Simon yell. "KJ!"

And that was followed by a series of laughter from Ethan.

But I just shrugged. I really don't care.

*

"Hey, sorry. Nag-antay ka bang matagal?" hinihingal na tanong ni Vanessa nang makapasok sa sasakyan.

So I was the first one who arrived here. Pero hindi naman ganoon kaaga.

"No," I told her. "Don't worry. Halos kararating ko lang din."

Inayos na niya iyong seatbelt. Ganoon din ang ginawa ko. "Lets go?"

She nodded at me and gave that beautiful smile. Pinilit ko pang iiwas ang sarili para hindi ganoong tumitig doon saka pinaandar na iyong sasakyan.

But in my mind, her smile was like already plastered. Not just today. But ever since that moment when we watched the sunrise together, her smile—

No, maybe her altogether had been on my mind. It was like it's the first time I saw her...really saw her.

Too bad, I had to be quiet about that and let that stay on my mind for quite sometime. Lalo pa't kung gusto kong mag-work itong kung anumang mayroon kami ngayon. This friendship.

I could not help but sigh at that. I never did this friendship thing. But since it was what Vanessa's offering, I just got it.

And I hope I wouldn't ruin this...because I don't know if I can live without her after now that I've got to experience it.

"Hey, Tyler," Vanessa called and I glanced at her.

"Yeah?"

She let out a small chuckle. "Nothing. Ang tahimik lang kasi. Would you mind playing some music?"

I nodded. "Sure."

And when I opened it, a familiar song filled the car. And when that particular lyrics went, I couldn't help but shook my head.

'We could be friends...'

I bit my lip. Damn. Seriously? Even the song was freaking timing.

While Vanessa was just silently humming to it. She knew the song.

After a couple of songs, we finally reached the carehome. Doon kami dumiretso sa office nung director.

Ms. Sally, if I remembered her name correctly, eagerly welcomed us. Medyo nagulat pa nga ito na naroon kami.

"Bibisitahin po sana namin si Nanay Belen," si Vanessa ang sumagot dito matapos kaming makaupo doon sa mga upuan sa harap ng table nito.

"Oh, really?" nakangiting sagot ni Ms. Sally. "That's great. Medyo nagtatanong na nga rin si Nanay. Namimiss ka ata, Tyler."

Tumingin ito sa akin at ngumiti. Nagpakawala naman ako ng mahinang tawa. "Well, part of my charm."

Natawa rin si Ms. Sally. "Naku, batang 'to," nagmuwestra pa ito na parang hahampasin ako. "Pero namiss ko iyong pagdalaw niyo dito ng ate mo. Bata pa 'ata kayo n'ung huling beses kasama si Nancy."

I smiled. I remembered that. She was not the director then.

"That was really long ago," sang-ayon ko dito.

"How was your mom? The last I heard she's in Subic. Nandoon pa rin ba siya ngayon?"

Tumango ako dito. "Yes po. She's living there now."

"Oh, it's been a long time since I saw her too. Sabihin mo naman kapag nadalaw dito sa Maynila, dumaan dito or kahit magkita man lang kami."

"Sure, I'll tell her po," sagot ko. "I can give you also her new number if you like."

Nangiti si Ms. Sally. "Sure. Thanks, hijo." Pagkatapos ay tiningnan na rin nito si Vanessa. "Saka pala, kung gusto wala naman kayong gagawin, baka gusto niyong mag-stay pa. A renewal of vows will be held later."

"Oh!" Vanessa excitedly exclaimed. "Sina Lola Caring po at Lolo Pancho?"

Ms. Sally nodded her head in confirmation. "Yes, their 60th year of marriage."

"Wow! Amazing. I'm not aware na ganoon na po katagal. Ang galing!" sagot ni Vanessa saka pinagsalikop iyong kamay at nilagay sa ilalim ng baba. Then she made a dreamy face.

I was sure as hell had no idea what they were talking about or who was that couple. But Vanessa's expressions were just too precious. Even now I would believe they were a great couple with just her reactions.

"So, what you think? Will you guys stay for it?" Narinig kong muling tanong ni Ms. Sally pero hindi ko pa rin inalis ang tingin kay Vanessa.

Vanessa stayed silent, seemed like she was thinking about it then she looked at me and I saw the slight surprise crossed her face.

Hindi niya inaasahang nakatingin na ako.

But then that was all gone and replaced by a hopeful smile as she asked, "Tyler? Okay lang ba?"

I smiled, I guessed I would say always say yes to that face. I coolly shrugged. "Sure. Lets witness this thing."

Nanay Belen, thankfully, was okay. Unti-unti nawawala na iyong lungkot na nararamdaman niya sa nangyari sa anak. She even was smiling as she talked to me and Vanessa.

And I was really glad that this place is really taking care of her. That was evident to the people she was mentioning. Since I couldn't promise I can go here regularly, I was glad there are people who could be with her. Yung talagang makakasama niya lagi.

We stayed there for some hour until they were called for dinner.

Nabanggit pa namin kay Nanay Belen 'yung mangyayari mamaya at inaya siya pero tumanggi siya. She said she didn't know if she could party with a lot of people.

And I understood her. She was still in the moving phase, so that's really expected.

Kaya maayos na lang kaming nagpaalam ni Vanessa at nangakong babalik na lang ulit para bisitahin siya.

Sunod na nga kaming pumunta ay doon sa hall kung saan on going na iyong ceremony.

Almost of the guests were wearing white and only Vanessa and I were seemed out of place. But we didn't mind. Or Vanessa didn't mind. Dahil ayun siya, tuwang-tuwa na nanonood sa nangyayari.

While I was not really a fan of these things. I don't know. I lost hope of long term commitments after witnessing failed relationships in our family. Not that I generalized all the men, but it was more of me having a fear that I would do the same.

But seeing this couple now, I smiled. At least for them, love worked out.

Natapos na iyong ceremony. Tapos ay lahat sinabihan nang maaari nang kumain. Doon na tumingin sa akin si Vanessa. "It's done. You want to go home? Past eight na rin."

Tumango ako at paalis na dapat kami ng venue nang mayroong nagsalita sa microphone sa harap.

"Hello po, sa lahat ng bisita. Hindi pa po tayo pwedeng umalis. Lalo na sa mga single dyan," anunsyo nung babaeng may hawak ng microphone. Medyo bata pa at mukhang staff dito.

Nagkaroon naman ng bulong-bulungan sa paligid. And I knitted my eyebrows. Ano naman kaya ito?

Obviously hindi na kami natuloy ni Vanessa dahil mayroon ng dalawang lalaking staffs din yung nakabantay sa pintuan.

"Mukhang hihintayin nating matapos pa ito," mahinang sabi ni Vanessa sa tabi ko, ang mga mata'y naroroon sa harap.

And I silently agreed with her.

Okay. So, it was not only the vows that the old couple reenacted. They also wanted to do the garter and flower toss.

And damn to hell, wala kaming takas pareho ni Vanessa. Paano noong tinawag pa iyong mga binata't dalaga na nasa hall ay na-spotan kami ni Ms. Sally at nirequest kaming lumapit din doon sa harap.

And there were a few of us. Mostly, staffs dito sa Golden Lives at ilang bisita na nakinood din tulad namin ni Vanessa.

All of the old people were just in their seats, watching us.

Pinaghiwalay na iyong mga babae at lalaki. Pinaayos doon sa likuran noong magkahiwalay na ngayong matandang mag-asawa. I was really not interested about what we were to do.

Kaya naman maya't maya ay tinitingnan ko si Vanessa doon sa kabila habang kasama iyong mga ibang babae. She was smiling but I could see the reluctance in her eyes.

She was half hearted about this also.

I just sighed and brought back my eyes to the front. Kailan pa matatapos ito?

"Okay, ready na po ba ang husband and wife natin?" muling tanong nung host.

Tumango 'yung dalawang matanda.

"Eh yung mga single participants po natin?" sunod nitong tanong.

There were yesses around me but all I did was grunt.

"Okay po, sa bilang ko po ng tatlo, ibabato na po iyong garter at bulaklak. Okay po ba, Nanay Caring at Tatay Pancho?"

When the old couple answered, the host started its countdown. And unlike the other men here that was seemingly anticipating the garter, I just stood there casually. Not barely moving.

Pinanood ko lang iyong patalkod na pagbato nung matandang lalaki ng garter papunta sa amin at sinundan iyong pagbaba n'un.

But I freaking don't know what the heck fate is playing that the damn garter landed right before me. And I freaking don't know too why my hands moved to its own accord to catch it.

Okay.

I stared at the garter in my own hands and silenty cursed.

This is so...unbelievable.

I heard screams around me. Some were even tapping my back and saying their 'congrats'.

Doon naman nagsalita yung host. "Pwede po ba 'yung mga nakakuha nung bulaklak at garter ay lumapit dito?"

There were another set of taps on my back, urging me to go forward.

I breathed deeply and just sucked it up. Parang may magagawa pa naman ako. Holding tht garter firmly in my hand, I walked up to the host.

Ngumiti sa akin iyong babae pero hindi ko magawang ibalik. I was still not believing this is happening.

But everything just stopped when I heard a familiar voice behind me.

"Ikaw pala yung nakakuha."

I looked behind me, to see the owner of that voice and her familiar smile greeted me.

At doon ay hindi ko na rin napigilan pa ang ngiting sumilay sa labi ko. I just couldn't help it.

"Yes, I got this," I shrugged at Vanessa, lifting the garter. Then I sighed, a relieved one as I added, "And I guess I know now why I did."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

187K 4K 38
Nathalie Torres was attracted to Harry Jimenez. No, it wasn't just an attraction. It was an unexpected feelings hit her directly. A young love made h...
60K 1.6K 36
THIS STORY IS EXCLUSIVELY AVAILABLE ON DREAME APP! Mistake Series #5 (Completed) "I wanted to stop my heart from beating because of you. Because it f...
2.3K 490 36
Being inlove with your childhood bestfriend is sweet. Especially if the opposite feels the same. But what if the day that you two confessed feelings...