twenty-eight

Twenty-Eight: Tyler Osmond

I tried to dial Vanessa's number but again, it was out of reach.

My brows knitted. Naka-off ba 'yung phone niya?

It was just a couple of minutes ago when I got her text, telling me she couldn't make it. At naiintindihan ko naman. Family always comes first. But what I could not understand was why I can't call her now.

I sighed and just opted for a text. 'It's okay. Lets just set it on another date. Have fun with the fam. :)'

I heard the footsteps first before there was a voice.

"Oh, Tyos!" gulat na sabi ni Ate Teriz. That made me look at her direction and watched her surprised look. "You're still here. Akala ko ba may dinner ka pa?"

Napabuntong hininga ako. "Well, she kind of bailed out on me."

Natawa si Ate Teriz. "Really? That's a first, I guess?" Saka napailing. "Vanessa's really letting you experience the firsts. I'm liking her more."

Nakisabay na ako sa pagtawa niya. "She has a family dinner."

Tumango-tango si Ate Teriz. "Kung wala ka naman palang ibang pupuntahan, sumama ka na sa amin ng mga bata."

"Where are you going?" taka kong tanong.

Ate Teriz took a pause, seemed like she was thinking of her answer. Pero, hindi naglao'y sumagot din siya. "Actually, Dad talked to me this morning. He invited us to dinner later. Sasabihin ko sana sayo kanina kaso nauna ka nang nagpaalam na may lakad ka. But maybe, you're meant to be with us this evening. So, what do you think? Will you go with us?"

Nakapag-usap na kami kagabi ni Ate Teriz tungkol kay Dad, pagkatapos makaalis nung huli. She said she was surprised at the same time happy that I finally gave our father a chance.

And I guessed that maybe she was right. Maybe, I was really meant to be with them this evening, to further on this reconciliation I'm having with my father.

Kaya, tumango ako. "Okay."

Malapad na napangiti si Ate Teriz. "Thank you, Tyos."

I just smiled back at her.

*

"Bakit pala nag-aya si Dad ng dinner ngayon?" tanong ko kay Ate Teriz nang nasa sasakyan na kami. Nakaupo siya sa passenger side habang yung dalawang bata ay naroon sa likod.

Ate Teriz shrugged. "I don't know. Pero sa tono niya kanina, parang may importante siyang sasabihin. in fact, kagabi ko pa siya napapansin na may parang gustong sabihin. I mean, you know Dad, right? When he's anxious and all."

Marahan akong napatango-tango. She's right. It was easy to tell when my father's agitated. Pero baka dahil ako mismo ay hindi mapakali kagabi kaya't hindi ko na iyon napansin.

But if that was the case, what will Dad tell us?

After almost an hour ride, we reached our house. Agad na binuksan nung isang kasambahay 'yung gate matapos akong makapagbusina. At nang makapagpark nga'y nauna ng lumabas iyong mga bata.

Dad was on the porch when we got out of the vehicle. Napatapik pa si Ate Teriz sa likod ko nang matigilan akong maglakad. I looked at her and was welcomed by her encouraging smile.

At maya-maya'y nauna na siyang naglakad at sinundan iyong dalawang anak. Habang ako naman ay tahimik lang silang pinanood.

I don't know. It was just more than a year when I last saw this place. And now I was here again.

Huminga ako nang malalim saka humakbang na rin papalapit sa kanila.

"Tyler," Dad was the first one to greet, a guarded smile on his lips. "Masaya akong nakasama ka."

I smiled back and gave him a brief nod.

"Lets go inside?" aya niya.

Tumango akong muli. "Okay."

And as I stepped inside, the awkward atmosphere still lingered. But somehow, a little bit, as I walked more into the house, it was starting to feel like I'm home.

*

Dinner was already done but we remained in the dining area. Actually, it was me, Dad and Ate Teriz which were left. Yung dalawang bata ay sinamahan na ng isang kasambahay doon sa living room.

Dad placed both of his hands above the now clean table. He kept on clenching and unclenching it. He was uneasy.

Ate Teriz' gaze might have been focused the same as mine that she reached for Dad's hands and gave them a squeeze. Itinaas ni Daddy ang tingin kay Ate kung saan ngumiti na ang huli. Dad then released a sigh of relief.

"Alright," Dad started then blew out another deep breath. "I really don't know why my nerves are still getting into me when I already practiced how I'll do this a couple of times."

There was an awkward laugh from him. "So, here's the thing. I know I've been into a different casual relationships before. Like a lot. But just lately, I was awakened of what I was doing. It was when you left, Tyler," Dad turned his gaze to me and met my eyes.

Even that was kind of expected because of our talk last night, I still wasn't prepared that he would bring up that now.

Binigyan na rin ng Dad ng atensyon si Ate Teriz. "I just realized that I've been wasting my years engaging myself in those where I could have just give all the love and attention that you my children deserve. I'm sorry."

"Dad," Si Ate Teriz ang unang nag-react habang ako'y napatungo lang. Bahagyang umangat ang gilid ng aking labi.

I just could not believe this—this talk—was happening.

"But yeah, so like I said I was enlightened of things," Dad continued. "And it was just last year I really settled things. Last year too, I got into a relationship with someone."

I was stopped at that. Alright, where was this going?

"Before you guys react, this one's serious this time. She's been a friend for a couple of years now. But only last year I really saw her as someone I want to spend my remaining years with."

Doon na ako napaangat ng tingin. Did I hear that right?

"Dad?" Ate Teriz gasped, her voice was, well, clearly surprised. "You mean..."

"Yes, I'm getting married again."

"Oh my God!" Ate Teriz now squealed. Binawi niya ang parehong kamay kay Daddy para ipangtakip sa bibig. Saka niya itinuloy. "I'm so happy for you. Congratulations!"

Then they hugged. And now I was the one who took a deep breath. One that has three things that it carried with.

First was letting go, of the past, of all the misunderstandings, hurt and the bad that it caused us.

Second was acceptance, of the present, of our now and would be family set up, that my parents were meant to be happy in their own separate ways.

Third and last was hope, of what could happen in the future. That now that we're all having this another chance to start, this time it would really be alright.

Nang maghiwalay sila ni Ate ay ibinaling sa akin ni Dad ang tingin. His eyes seemed hesitant. Perhaps, of what's my take in his surprise announcement.

Then, I didn't suppress it anymore, I smiled at him and told him the words I knew he deserved to hear, "Congrats, Dad."