Pull Me Under

By Xebbex

Olivia's Mom and Stepdad are headed away for a three month long cruise. The timing couldn't be better for a d... More

Chapter One - Unplanned
Chapter Two - Unwanted
Chapter Four - Unbeaten
Chapter Five - Undone
Chapter Six - Unsafe
Chapter Seven - Unexpected.
Chapter Eight- Under
Chapter Nine - Unforgettable
Chapter Ten - Unclassifed
Chapter Eleven - Unfinished
Chapter Twelve - Uncovered
Chapter Thirteen - Unknown

Chapter Three - Unsure

250 20 0
By Xebbex

Noah left the room, and emotionally spent I lay down and closed my eyes. I must have fallen asleep because when I woke, Noah was knelt in front of me, softly shaking me.

"All done." He murmured. "Everyone is gone... and I stripped your bed."

I looked at him and bit my lip. "You probably think I'm so lame."

He shook his head and sat down beside me as I pushed myself up. "You're kidding right?" He exclaimed. "When I walked into your room and saw what I saw... I had to restrain myself from beating that so called boyfriend of yours to a pulp."

"Ex." I mumbled. Josh and I were 100% over, even if he didn't know it yet. "And thank you for not beating him up. His father's a litigator, it would have been worse for you in the end."

"Seeing his smug face messed up a little would have been worth being sued." Noah laughed. "But I was trying to be the bigger person."

"Thank you." I murmured. "For doing that for me."

"Anytime Vi."

I smiled, no one had ever called me Vi before, it had always been liv. I liked Vi.

"I guess it's a good thing school is over. Going in on Monday after tonight would have been torture."

"That is a silver lining."

I nodded and went to stand up, but before I did I knew I needed the answer to someone that was plaguing my mind. I had never loved Josh, and I had known our relationship had an expiration date deep down... So maybe I had never planned on being with him like that, had me not giving it up to him... caused this to happen. Was I to blame for this situation?

"Noah, can I ask you a question. Woman to Man?"

Noah cleared his throat and nodded. "Yeah sure, fire away."

"Did not being with Josh... like that, me making him wait. Cause this? Was it unfair to expect him to wait."

Noah grabbed my hand, which caught me off guard, he turned me so that we were facing one another. "You were betrayed by two people Vi. and they did what they did because they are selfish and miserable. It has nothing to do with you. People do stupid shit for stupid reasons... but those reasons are always because of their reactions to something. They're in control of their own lives. Don't take on their shit."

I smiled and ignored the squirmy feeling in my stomach. When he'd first arrived I was almost regretful of his presence, now I was grateful for it.

"You sound like you're speaking from experience. Maybe you should take your own advice."

Noah released my hand and turned away. "What I'm dealing with is much bigger than a post high school love triangle gone wrong."

I didn't want to be offended, because what had happened was a post high school love triangle gone wrong. But in the same breath he had minimized my own pain in comparison to his. I stood up and walked to the door.

"I'll leave you to wallow on your own then." I mumbled as I walked out and closed the door behind me.

I walked into my bedroom, My bed was bare, sheets, blankets... everything. I grabbed my cell phone from my desk and walked out of the room and into Mom's and Rays. I had work in the morning, and after the night from hell, all I wanted was sleep. I lay on the bed, not bothering to pull the covers over and fell into a deep sleep.

When I woke up the next morning the blankets were over me and a glass of water sat on the nightstand next to a couple of advil. I sat up and picked the pills up. I downed them both at once and took a long sip of water.

"Sorry. My shit isn't worse than your shit... it's just different." Noah's voice infiltrated the room. I looked up to see him leaning against the bedroom door. "Walking in on your best friend and the guy you love..."

I held my hand up and shook my head. "I don't love him." that was the one thing I was clear on now.

"Even still."

"I don't want to talk about it anymore Noah." I mumbled. "Thanks for the water and the advil. I have work this morning."

I worked with Mackenzie at a cafe in town, but luckily the only shift we had together was on a wednesday. Being a Saturday I knew I wasn't going to have to see her.

"You need a ride?" He asked.

"No... I usually walk to clear my head. Today I kind of need that." I murmured. Noah nodded and went to walk away. "Noah." I called out. He stopped and turned around.

"Yeah?"

"If you need someone to talk to, about the shit you're dealing with... I'm all ears."

Noah smiled and nodded. "I'll keep that in mind."

I got out of bed and dressed in my work uniform. The cafe was a thirty minute walk away and my shift started in 40 minutes. If I hadn't needed the space to think, I'd have taken the extra time to shower and accept Noah's ride. After everything though, I needed to think...

When I got to work I smiled at Harriet the boss. She held out a to go cup. "Tall mocha to start the day. Just how you like it."

I smiled and took the cup. Free coffee was one of the biggest perks of working in a cafe. The smell hit me with a refreshing clap. Maybe today would go okay.

"Thanks Harriet. I thought Clyde was opening with you."

Harriet shook her head as she lifted the counter top for me to walk through. "He's sick with man flu. I told him to stay in bed rather than spread it and cause a mandemic."

"Well, I think the two of us can handle the daily grind." I mused.

Harriet let out a laugh. "I see what you did there." She chuckled as she let the countertop drop down. "But we won't have to. I called Mac in to cover."

I froze in my tracks and let out a deep breath. "Is she here already?"

"Yeah she's out back." Harriet explained, she stopped beside me and tilted her head in concern. "Everything okay."

"I'm sorry." I mumbled. "I can't work here with her."

I placed the cup of coffee down at the same time Mackenzie walked out into the main area. Her eyes widened and she shot me a cautious smile. "Hey babe..."

"Don't babe me." I muttered. I looked back at Harriet. It was obvious to me now that deep down, Mackenzie gave less than two fucks. She would continue to try and make amends, because she assumed I'd accept it. "I have to quit. Because I know she won't. I'm sorry Harriet."

I left the cafe without explaining any further and ran all the way home. I'd have to launder my uniform and drop it off at a later date.

I walked home and flopped onto the chair at the kitchen table. I needed a job. I opened my laptop and searched through the student job search, but just like my lacklustre life nothing jumped out at me. I let out a sigh and ran my hands over my face.

"Thought you had work?" Noah exclaimed.

"I did." I replied.

"Mackenzie took on an extra shift and in the spur of the moment I quit."

I sighed, if I called Harriet and explained I knew she'd ignore my resignation... but I wasn't sure I regretted my decision, just the lack of money I was surely going to run into without an income.

"Oh." Noah sat down, he was sweaty. He'd just been for a run, or a workout. I looked away, I couldn't afford to be distracted by him right now.

"So I thought I'd look for a job, but there isn't much going."

"So we're both at a roadblock." Noah noted. "Unsure of what to do with our lives."

I went to deny what he was saying, but it occurred to me that I'd been lying to everyone about my plans. He'd been the first person to tell me what I already knew about myself. I smiled and nodded.

"Guess we make great company for one another then."

Noah let out a long sigh and stretched. He tapped on the table top. "I've got an idea." He murmured. "Maybe it'll cheer us both up."

I looked at him and shrugged. "It's worth a try... well depending on what you have in mind."

"A little stress relief. I noticed when I drove in that there is a paintball war game just out of town. We could head out there and shoot some people with balls of paint."

I let out a laugh. "You're kidding, right?"

"Not at all." He mused. "Come on Vi, lets go shoot shit and forget everything that's worrying us."

For the first time since he'd arrived I saw a spark in Noah's eyes. I smiled and nodded, what was the harm? "Yeah okay, I'll go get changed then."

Noah lifted his hand into the air and let out a whoop. I shook my head and ran upstairs to my room. I pulled a pair of black workout pants from my draws and a dark green singlet. I was going for comfort, and camouflage. I pulled my jeans and t-shirt of and put the outfit on. My dark brown hair was still in a bun from before work, so I pulled it free and restyled it in a high ponytail. I grabbed a black hoodie as I walked from the room and back downstairs.

"Ready?"

"Yep." I replied as I walked back into the kitchen.

"Great." Noah grinned. "Let's go."

Noah and I left the house, and I locked the door. We walked across the yard to Noah's car. He owned a late model ford GT, which I didn't really understand. He was a sales rep for an international company sure... but I wasn't sure that his income would be enough to pay for such an expensive car. Maybe he was just really good at what he did.

"Like it huh?" He mused as he unlocked it. He threw the keys at me, luckily I had quick reflexes and caught them in one hand. "Then Drive it."

"I couldn't." I whispered running my hands over the glossy black paintwork.

"Yeah you can. Come on. Live a little."

Those words coming from Mackenzie had filled me with the urge to rebel, and it was much the same with Noah saying it, only this time I didn't feel an overwhelming need to prove myself to him.

I grinned and walked around the car to the drivers side. Noah leaned against the car and looked down at me. "Challenge accepted."

Noah dropped his hand to the car door and opened it for me. He ushered me in and once I sat down on the plush leather seat he closed the door and walked to the passengers side. Once we were both in and belted up, I started the car. The engine purred and I could feel it through my body, the roar of the motor was barely contained and I hadn't even left the driveway yet. I smiled as I backed out, and tried to ignore the thumping in my chest.

It was a smooth ride no doubt, touching the gas pedal slightly had the car speed up like it was nothing. I felt more alive than I had for a really long time, and I knew it was obvious, but I didn't care.

Noah directed me to the paintball place, and once we were there I was almost sad that my short joyride was over. I turned the car off and let out a long unsteady breath. Noah unclipped his seatbelt and let out a chuckle. "You alright?"

"That was..." I sucked in a breath. "Incredibly satisfying."

Noah didn't respond, instead he opened the car door and got out. I shook my hands to release some of the excess adrenaline and undone my own seatbelt before climbing out of the car. Noah walked around to me and grabbed the keys, locking the car before shoving them in the pocket of his pants. He grabbed my hand and walked quickly across the car park almost dragging me along behind him. Once we were inside the store he walked to the counter, releasing me. He stood there for a moment, while I walked around eyeing up the various types of paintball guns.

"How can I help." A stranger's voice called out, walking in from out the back of the store.

"I noticed you have team battles every hour, kinda hoping we're not to late for the 12pm one."

I looked up and over at the shopkeeper. He was tall, but not as tall as Noah. He wasn't much older than me, in fact I was pretty sure he'd been a senior at my high school the year before. He looked at the computer and then back up at Noah.

"I can put you in, but there are no slots available in the current teams. You and your girlfriend will have to be a two man team."

I expected Noah to correct him, but he didn't. "No problem. Suit us up."

"Is that the deluxe package? It's $100 all up for the both of you but you get unlimited bullets and all of the extra gear."

"Yeah. Deluxe." Noah noted. "Vi, you're down for this right?"

I walked across the floor and stood next to Noah. He had a credit card in his hands. I nodded, "I'm down."

The shopkeeper, Aaron, as written on his name tag led us through the store and out into a warehouse. There were four other teams of five waiting in the hangar. They were all suited up with protective garments and helmets, their teams distinguished by the coloured bands on their arms.

Aaron led Noah and I into a changing room. He handed us both the padded clothing and our helmets and closed the door. I began to pull on the bulletproof vest and fastened it while Noah sat on the bench seat and began to strap his legs up with the shinpads.

"You didn't correct him." I mused.

"Huh." Noah replied.

"When he assumed I was your girlfriend."

Noah shrugged and looked up at me. "Sorry, it was kind of nice that someone could assume I was capable of being in a relationship. I'll clear it up when we go back out."

I frowned and shook my head. "It's fine." I murmured. "Why would anyone assume that though. I mean you're attractive and while I hardly know you, I know you're kind and caring. Of course you're capable of being in a relationship."

Noah strapped his other leg up. "There is a lot you don't know about me Vi."

I let out a sigh and finished putting the gear on. Something told me that Noah planned on keeping it that way. We walked out of the room together and into the hangar where Aaron stood with two AR paintball guns and blue bands for our arms.

"Come take a seat and we'll go through the rules."

Noah and I walked across the hangar and took a seat with everyone else. Aaron explained that there were starting points for each team and the game would not start until everyone was at their starting point. The aim of the game was to make it back to hangar. Alive.

If you were shot in the torso or head it was game over, limb shots were non lethal and at least two team members had to cross the finish line for it to count.

Noah and I walked through the dense bush to find our starting point. We were the first ones to hit our button once there as only our light was lit up on the screen in the ground.

"Don't get shot." Noah whispered.

"Ditto." I mused.

"I'll try not too."

A/N - How do you think Noah and Olivia will go in the battle?

I'll be updating the first five chapters at the same time as I upload them to Inkitt, but after chapter Five I will be uploading them to inkitt and entire week before I upload them here.

So find me over there and take a look! https://inkitt.app.link/RA_rebeccaburton

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

193K 4.7K 22
Tori is 17 and moves in with her mom's new husband and his 18 year old son. But after spending the summer with them, she notices that her new step-br...
88.3K 583 38
After Annabelle's mom dies, she has to move from California to Maine, to live with her father. She is shattered by the loss of her mother and struggl...
11.1K 308 23
Spencer has caught feeling for his step-mother Olivia, and decided to transfer at a boarding school to avoid her. Now his home during his school holi...
3.4K 1K 49
She is the newbie, most people hate her but some people love her. She is complicated and very hard to understand but when you get to know her you fin...