The Dragon Tamers

By cupcakeplz

After 100 years of peace the Humans have abruptly demanded Dragons from the Letharian Elves or face war again... More

The Dragon Tamers
The Dragon Tamers [2]
The Dragon Tamers [3]
The Dragon Tamers [4]
The Dragon Tamers [5]
The Dragon Tamers [6]
The Dragon Tamers [7]
The Dragon Tamers [8]
The Dragon Tamers [9]
The Dragon Tamers [10]
The Dragon Tamers [11]
The Dragon Tamers [12]
The Dragon Tamers [13]
The Dragon Tamers [14]
The Dragon Tamers [15]
The Dragon Tamers [16]
The Dragon Tamers [17]
The Dragon Tamers [18]
The Dragon Tamers [19]
The Dragon Tamers [21]
The Dragon Tamers [22]
The Dragon Tamers [23]
The Dragon Tamers [24]
The Dragon Tamers [25]
The Dragon Tamers [26]

The Dragon Tamers [20]

393 26 1
By cupcakeplz

The morning's sun shone through the window, warming my face, gently rousing me from sleep.

"What a lovely morning." I thought, opening my eyes. "Oh crap, its morning, we have so much to do!" I jolted upright and sprung out of bed.

"Hm?" A sleepy Fenwir murmured as he slowly became more awake.

"Gather the men and dragons and meet me outside my quarters in half an hour. We have work do to." Being madly in love was fun and all, but there was work to be done. Badass warrior Queen was back.

I slipped on my corset and tidied up quickly before dashing out the door, down the stairs, out the door and into the village hub. People and animals rushed around. Some were headed out of the square, others milled at stalls filled with fresh produce, others sat and chatted. The hub was humming with life. Many people greeted me and bowed as I passed them. I prayed I didn't show the signs of a late last night or that I hadn't been in my own quarters. Some wanted to stay and chat, but I just didn't have the patience or the time. it's hard to remain polite and dignified when you really don't want to talk.

Safe in my quiet quarters at last, I plonked myself at the desk and wrote to Mokrush. I asked him how the city was doing, how his people are and if the riders I left with him were sufficient. I noted that I would like him to be present for a council meeting in one months time to discuss the training reigme and other war matters.

Hm, they dont use a crow system here I see. Problematic. How does one send messages in this land?

Baffled but undetered I changed my clothes, plaited my hair and left to track down their postal service. The Mayor was standing in the village hub laughing and chatting to the people. He spotted me, apologised to his companion and strode over to me.

"Your highness, it's good to see you, and congratulations on your recruitment drive. I always knew my people would rally behind such a noble cause." His formalities were laced with apologises and regret.

"Yes, I am very pleased indeed. I am eager to return home and report our status." I wasn't fully comfortable around the man who never thought to protect his people. "Do you have a postal service? I require this letter to go to Mokrush, leader of the Orcs." I was a little too blunt and maybe a tiny bit harsh in my tone.

"Oh, well, um. You see we don't have need for postal service. Our magic acts as a postal service. We usually teleport letters and communications to one another."

Well that was unexpected. I had no idea the Shapeshifters harnessed the power of teleportation.

"Could you teleport this to Mokrush then?"

"I'm afraid not. We need to have a very clear visualisation of where the letter will go, otherwise it could get lost somewhere between space and time. No one here has ever ventured to the Orcish lands."

This man is hopeless. Ugh. Moving on.

"Okay, thank you. Good bye." I turned on my heel and walked towards where my soliders had gathered. I was baffled and confused and had lost all hope for the Mayor. No postal service, no army, what next?! No sewerage?!

"You look like you're going to punch somoene." Fenwir whispered.

"There's no army. There's no postal service. I want to leave." Impatient and at the end of my tether, I just wanted the normality of home.

"What's the plan M'lady?" Fenwir spoke up and my Queen persona fell into place.

"You will take this message to Mokrush right now. You will not stop for anyone or anything. After delivering it, return to La'laish." I handed the sealed letter to Fenwir's right hand man, I was unsure of his name. He nodded, mounted his dragon and swiftly gallopped out of sight. "The rest of us are heading home. The rest of you will stay here and begin training the people who wish to fight. I will send word with order and more men in a few days time. You know what you need to do." Fenwir and the other men turned to begin their tasks.

"Not you, Fenwir. I want you to come home with me. As the Head of the Guard, I need your input when Mokrush and the council meet." He nodded and smiled. I think he was glad to be with me.

We mounted our Dragons and gallopped to the edge of the forest.

"The Dragons are well rested, shall we ride through the night?" Fenwir asked.

"Bee?" I asked for a dragon's input. He paused for a moment, speaking to the other dragon.

"Aye, Luna. We will be fine to ride through the night." I could feel Beogin smile as he telepathically spoke to me. "Home?"

"Home, old friend."

---

It was relaxing flying steady just below the clouds. The strong winds up this high helped Beogin conserve energy, he only needed to beat his wings once a minute. I took this time to stay in touch with my closest friend.

I concentrated inwards onto myself and into my mind. I searched through the memories and thoughts to our sacred connection. It was like wadding through waist high viscous water. As I made my way through my subconcious, I could see memories but never lingered on them. I could feel the emotions I associated with the memories too. Every emotion hit me like a wave of warmth or cold and an association to a colour. I passed through the memory of my fathers death. A wave of cold blue hit me like a ton of bricks. I overcame the strong desire to linger and relive the sadness and fear and pressed forward.

Finally, after sifting through the pain, the happiness and sadness, I reached the doorway. It felt like more of a two way gate. It let our subconciouses meet and flow into one another, but there was always a physical barrier to help keep the separation.

"Beogin, may I enter?"

The door or gate swung open and allowed my mind to flow into his. As I entered his mind I was once again wadding through thick water. The water was thicker this time, every step I took was harder to take. The thick water rose to my chest this time; it was not easy navigating someone else's mind. This wasn't my first time doing this though, so I had a rough idea of what to look for.

I could feel and see his memories. He too saw the death of my father. We were flying above the carnage on the ground, Beogin turns his gaze to my father just as his head is severed. A young and distressed Beogin cried out in anguish, powerless to help. I could hear myself, crying and sobbing faintly in the background of this memory. Beogin fought back every urge to swoop down and devour the murderer whole. His thoughts turned to me and my safety, flying me back into The Veil to safety.

The memory ended and I scolded myself, I let myself stay here too long. The thoughts and memories of others are more powerful and its harder to fight them back. I kept walking until I found it. It was like a hole had formed in the ground that I stood on. I stepped off the edge, the thick liquid engulfed me, pulling me down into the core of Beogin's soul.

The abyss finally came to an end, it spat me out in a small, warm room. I concentrated.

After a moment I was intune with Beogin, we were one and the same. I could feel his heart beat, I could feel the wind under his wings, I could see what he saw. I felt the cool air warm my chest and fire breathing organs.

It was at these moments I felt closest to Beogin. We reveled in the chance to live as one being with two minds. Beogin handed over the reigns to me and took a rest. It was nervewracking and daunting trying to wrangle a strange body. I found it hard to manipulate my wings, often moving my front legs or arms instead. A particularly strong gust of wind knocked me around and we started to fall towards the ground.

Without missing a beat, Beogin stepped in, righted his wings and showed me the muscles I needed to move. He chuckled in a reassuring way. It was hilarious the other way around though. Beogin has only taken control of my body once or twice. He complained of how awkward it is to only move two legs, and to maintain balance. We had gone out to a forest clearing to practice, Beogin kept trying to run on all fours and jumping high into the air expecting his wings to carry him away. I had a fair few bruises after that.

My father always warned us of the dangers of mind melding. We had the potential to get lost, and whoever was visiting the other might never find their way back to the door. Beogin and I took it really slowly. At first I would find my way to the door and step through only to step back into my own mind. Eventually our baby steps paid off and we could navigate each other's subconcious pretty well.

I could feel myself getting lost in being a dragon. That's often the alarm bell to get out or get lost. Sensing my worry, Beogin forced his way back into control and violently threw me out of his inner core. His throw and push was so forceful and trained that he could push me out the door and back into my own mind. I was grateful he had learned this trick, it made my life a lot easier.

Back in my own mind and in control of myself I suddenly awoke and sat upright in the saddle. With my body like an empty husk, I must have slouched forward in the saddle. As I regained my vision, I realised it was alright night time. Crazy how the sense of time is warped when mind melding. I could see Fenwir fast alseep half lying on the neck of his dragon, Tahsot.

Tahsot and Fenwir did not always work together, but they had always been each other's companion in war and travel. They did not have a connection like Beogin and I did, but they truly loved and cared for one another none the less.

Beogin reminded me to get some sleep so I could be in the right headspace for when we arrived home. I couldn't agree more. I lent forward onto his neck and drifted into peaceful sleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

905 79 32
Being a human is difficult in a world full of dragons and elves. It is especially difficult being a human woman with the dominating culture of men ar...
84 4 30
Let me tell you a story, once upon a time there was a girl, she grew up far away in a small village, when she was a young girl she was left on a door...
306 38 21
Vampires , Werewolves , Dragons , Demons , Witches.. These Kingdoms always seem to be peaceful on the surface but under the covers , vampires and wol...
5.3K 1.9K 56
After a traumatic incident, Erina was never the same. She wasn't always an outcast. The Fae in New Mere just never looked at her the same since. The...