Trying Not To Love (COMPLETED)

By Books_and_nerds

I stepped forward and asked, "Where do you want me?" It took me a second to realize what I just said. Shit! I... More

Introduction ✅
Disclaimer ✅
Characters ✅
Chapter 1 ✅
Chapter 2 ✅
Chapter 3 ✅
Chapter 4 ✅
Chapter 5 ✅
Chapter 6 ✅
Chapter 7 ✅
Chapter 9 ✅
Chapter 10 ✅
Chapter 11 ✅
Chapter 12 ✅
Chapter 13 ✅
Chapter 14 ✅
Chapter 15 ✅
Chapter 16 ✅
Chapter 17 ✅
Chapter 18 ✅
Chapter 19 ✅
Chapter 20 ✅
Chapter 21 ✅
Chapter 22 ✅
Chapter 23 ✅
Chapter 24 ✅
Chapter 25 ✅
Chapter 26 ✅
Chapter 27 ✅
Chapter 28 ✅
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36

Chapter 8 ✅

176 29 2
By Books_and_nerds

Chapter Eight- Goodnight, Jackass

Easton

I kicked amazing ass last night winning two big bets-- making around four grand. Not that I needed any money. It was all about the rush and the feeling of being invincible while running hand in hand with danger. Everyone loved me and I loved racing. It gave me the satisfaction of the desired control I lacked in my own life. For once I had something my dad couldn't control. Which made it even more exhilarating.

But, it didn't mean the people I pissed had let me go unscratched. We got into a fight and then the police got involved. It was the worse ever happened.

I called Linda to get me out of there and she even let me stay at her place for the night. Her husband didn't look like he wanted me anywhere near his wife and I couldn't blame him. The way I looked was saying a lot. But, it wasn't like I could've harmed her.

Linda was like an elder sister or an aunt to me. She'd seen me go through bad to worse and vice verse. After my Nanna, she took great hold of the house, managing everything. And I respected her for it.

My mom was always like a statue sitting or sometimes completely absorbed in her own world-- not giving a shit about me or anyone. She didn't even spare me a glance in her entire day of doing nothing.

But losing her had what hurt me most when my parents divorced. Even if we didn't talk or weren't like normal mother-sons were, I had her around me and it was enough. But after their divorce, I knew I wouldn't see her ever again. And it turned out I was right about that. She never looked back. Not even a single Christmas card, for best wishes. Nothing. All she left was dead silence in her wake.

"Thanks for the drive man!" I patted Venice on the back and hopped out of his orange and green Sports car.

It was dark outside. I checked my phone and it was almost eleven. The breeze around me was cold and because of my feebleness it brought shivers and chills up and down my spine. Everything hurt. Maybe I should have been more careful.

Ugh.

Venice grinned a crooked smile at me, his head was shaved, little hop silver earrings dangled from his ears, and tattoos were running up and down both his arms. His first impression was always intimidating but not to me. When I first met him while driving 120 miles an hour, he sped up beside my car and asked if I was interested in racing for him. And guess what I said?

I nodded, as he saluted at me. "It was a good race man. See you next Saturday?" Of course, he would want me to come next time too. He'd made double of mine.

I nodded again.

His car disappeared down the street and I turned around to my house. It was dark but, a couple of lights illuminated certain areas of the house, letting me know invaders were still here.

She was still here.

I disappeared this morning from Linda's place without her knowing-- I knew if she had me over for the breakfast I was definitely going to have an earful of what she thought of my reckless and unforgivable behavior. And honestly, I wasn't ready to hear what all wrong I keep on doing. So, I went back straight to The Loop to get the money I'd won last night. Venice was head manager of the place and because I helped him win tons of money-- which made him kinda owe me, I asked him to drop me off. No one did anyone favors at that kind of place but he knew how precious I was to his business.

I took two steps up and winced.

Walking hurt.

Even moving my arm to unlock the door had hurt.

Everything hurt.

I managed to slip in with what crack I opened in the door and kicked it shut-- even that hurt.

Fucking assholes!

Taking a failure wasn't their thing, I guess. But, when racing with me, they had to get used to the feeling.

Someone gasped at my right and I met those big and dark warm eyes which zoomed on me.

Tabby was next to shriek with her eyes bugging out her sockets. It was almost comical and I wanted to laugh at them. Wanted to. She jumped up beside her sister, whose name was still MIA to me.

I glanced around the house and couldn't see Linda anywhere. Huff! That was a relief.

I took a step further inside and immediately ceased when the stinging ache in my right leg shot up, causing me to crouch down while I held my breath, but then my probably broken ribs felt like they were twisting inside of me and I almost cried out straightening.

This was embarrassing.

"What happened to you? Oh god! You need to go to the hospital." Dark eyes rushed to me, almost as if she was worried about me. Her honey blonde hair were left loose. She eyes my every cut, gash, scratch, and bruise that was visible to her eyes.

It felt like she could see beyond my skin and know how much pain I really was in. So I glanced away and started to walk upstairs, ignoring her sweet scent which brought strange relief to my lungs.

But then surprising me and probably herself, she grabbed my arm and a tremor shot through me like a buzzing electricity. I guessed she felt it too because she jerked back with wide eyes, those plumped lips parted open.

I swallowed the lump.

She licked her lips-- which she did a lot, and shook her head. My heart was picking speed. Stupid heart. "Fine if you don't wanna to go to the hospital but at least put some medicine on it. I'll get the medical box. Don't go anywhere." Her voice was just above a low whisper and I swallowed again at words.

I didn't have anyone except Jeanette who took care of me. Who the hell she thought she was?!

Something on my face must have given her a hint of my distaste at her words because she explained, "I have done a nursing course. I know my way around things... I can--" Suddenly I realized that I had tuned her out, my gaze stuck at her moving lips, her injured hand, and then traveled back up to her big dancing eyes.

What did she want from me? Why was she being kind to me after what I had insulted her? Twice.

Rage shot through me and I stepped forward, towering over her small frame. She had curves but she lacked in height department. And I didn't know why but I really liked this fact.

She bit her lip and started to fidget with her hands. It was working. Did she know how adorable it made her look when she did this? Because that would absolutely explain her perfect timing of using this move on me.

I scowled at her, "Stay away from me. You hear me?"

Her eyes dropped down to her feet and I saw her nod and step back, and I stomped away refusing to acknowledge the burning sensations until I got to my room and crashed on the bed.

Cassandra

That boy needed to be taught some serious manners. Most importantly, never let pride get in the way of getting help.

He needed help but his ego was too big to accept it. I knew he was a jerk but I didn't know he was an arrogant-nothing-but-full-of-pride-jerk! I twirled around and walked over to the couch and plopped down beside Tabby.

"His loss. I know you rock as a nurse." She assured, smiling, and then looked back at her phone. Probably texting with Arnold. Her new boy crush.

I feigned a chuckled, relaxing beside her. "Yeah, whatever."

I called Linda to let her know about Highness Easton's presence and was able to breathe better when she told that doctor said Jamey was going to be absolutely fine, the season change got to him nothing else to worry about.

They were on there way back home, so we strolled to our rooms. I was exhausted. As I walked closer to my door, I heard the loud crash then groaning and wincing.

I got closer to his door and my heart started to beat against my chest as if it wanted to rush inside and help him even though he's been an asshole to me all this time.

I sucked in a deep breath.

"Fuck!" He cursed and I had enough. I couldn't take this.

I pulled on the handle and the door opened. I paused to watch him struggle, as he tried to wrap a bandage around his left forearm. I looked at the broken mirror and gasped. He definitely had some major anger issues.

His eyes snapped up at me and his jaw clenched tight. "What are you doing here? I told you--" He started to yell at me while I shut the door behind me and stomped towards him, cutting him off with my hands held up high in the air.

"I'm not doing you a favor and you won't owe me anything, Brinkley. Now shut the fuck up and let me help you." I snapped and furrowed when I saw his eyes stuck to my stomach.

WHAT?

I glanced down to see... Shit!

I pulled my hands down and adjusted my yet another short length t-shirt-- which just now gave him the full-on glimpse of my past. My bellybutton. The little dangling half star.

Heat pooled in my cheeks and I started to fidget. All my confidence from a second ago puffed into thin air. A smirk formed on his lips and he raised a brow. While trying to breathe, I knelt in front of him and grabbed his arm. The little electric shocks started to buzz between us but we both ignored it. His arm was warm against my cold hands and I... needed to concentrate. I managed to properly bandage the wound. And he let me.

His stare was hot on my skin, drilling holes in me and I had to look up. He was smiling. Warmth like never before rushed to my neck, my ears, and my whole face, and I immediately dropped my eyes back to his arm. The zap of electricity which I felt when I accidentally grabbed his arm before was still there like a background music.

"What?" I finally asked. Knowing the elephant wouldn't just leave.

"Nothing." But I knew what he wanted to ask.

Maybe for once, he could be a little civil with me. A small smile tugged at my lips and I gazed up into his breathtaking turquoise eyes,"You didn't see anything, right?" I asked, playfully.

His eyes held me captive as he searched for something in me. It felt like he could see beyond my strong facade and right into my real weak self and it terrified me.

"I know what I saw. A bellybutton. It was blue and red dangling from your navel in a half star shape."

Clearly, he didn't want to play. I shut my eyes and bit the inside of my cheek. Embarrassing. And I couldn't talk about it. Not now. Not like this. And not to him.

So I let the topic die for now.

My fingers brushed his bruised knuckles and I felt him stiffen. I spread the ointment and lightly blew on them.

He clutched his hand in a ball and mine got wrapped into his. My stomach dropped to my ankles and my heart stopped. Or at least it felt like that.

I glanced up and my breath hitched in my throat. The scorching heat had taken over my skin while the hair on the back of my neck stood up on ends. I had never felt this strong swirling of emotions before.

Tears pooled in my eyes and a second later I realized why. I bit my lip because the hand he'd clutched was the burnt one. He must have seen the tears because his gaze fell on my hand and he immediately let go.

"I'm sorry... I didn't. It hurt so..." He rambled on.

Okay, it was adorable.

A bark of chuckle left my lips, surprising both of us.

"Where does it hurt?"

He raised a brow and I pointed at his upper body. "I saw you clutch your stomach. Did you get hit there? Ribs? It could be serious."

He jumped off the bed and like lighting had bolted him stepped backward. I glanced around confused to see if I missed the spot where the fire was. "I'm not taking my shirt off." He mumbled.

Heat felt like it decided to settle permanently on my cheeks. "Just pull up a little."

He ran a hand through his messy hair which was long on the top and short at the sides. He appeared to be having a war in his head so I gave him the time.

Then he locked eyes with me and came forward, taking his seat. He pulled his t-shirt slightly over so I could examine the damage. I gasped. A huge purple bruise was forming on the side of his ribs and when I touched my fingers to his last rib, he jerked back, suppressing a yelp with pressing his lips together.

I grabbed the tube and spread some cooling gel on it. It would help him get some relief from the pain. I muttered,"You have a huge bruise and one broken rib. Don't move a lot and stay away from driving for some time. The rib will heal in two or three weeks and--"

He shot me a dreadful look, "Two or three weeks? No way!!"

"No racing for awhile it seems to me." I stood up and he narrowed his eyes on me.

I shrugged, "Tabby must have heard you tell Arnold. Was it drag or street?" I think I knew the answer but I still wanted to hear from him.

I didn't know he was going to be upfront about it. "Street."

I smiled, "Hence, the injuries. Well, congratulations on winning. Chevy Corvette is a real deal after all."

Another genuine smile formed on his lips, but he quickly swiped it away, staring at me, as if I'd intrigued him somehow.

"What's your name?" I should be shocked or offended but I wasn't.

"Goodnight, Jackass." Rolling my eyes, I ushered and shut his door behind me. And grinned so big when I heard him laugh from the other side.

XOXO

Thank you so much.

Please VOTE/COMMENT/SHARE/LOVE

~D <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.7K 213 30
[CURRENTLY UNDER EDITING!] The 'almost love' story of Liv Arlene and Nate Caesar. I was almost good for her. I was almost good for him. Liv and...
62.2K 2K 26
*WARNIO!! This is my second book I wrote on Wattpad. THERE will be mistakes!* Read at yo own dang risk! "Who is she?" "Can you get me her number?" "...
392K 12.1K 49
"You are mine now. Just remember one thing nobody gets the privilege of bringing that smile on your face and touching you" he clenched his fsts and m...