Tears in the Rain (X-Men ROMY)

By CatWinchester

(Movieverse) What would have happened if Remy had been offered a place with the professor after the events of... More

Chapter One
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Epilogue

Chapter Two

2.8K 55 2
By CatWinchester

Chapter Two

Rogue was intrigued by the new teacher and more than a little bemused by his fan club. Sure, he was hot, but not so hot that no one could resist him, yet it seemed like the entire female population of the school had a crush on him.

She could see why, he was charming, charismatic, and to hear him speaking French in lessons was positively orgasmic but still, he was just a man.

What she was surprised to learn was that Gambit was actually 30. It was quickly explained to her that his mutation allowed for rapid cell regeneration which, it was assumed, kept him looking young. His healing properties were not as fast as Logan's, but he healed much faster than a normal person or mutant would.

Gambit was friendly with his students, even slightly flirty at times, but he was always professional. They embarrassed him sometimes with inappropriate remarks, but the students seemed to enjoy it, and he was never short of a witty reply or put down when necessary.

Rogue quickly realised that the girls were trying too hard and that in fawning over him, they were actually turning him off. Not that she expected him to date a student, but at times it was clear to see this his smiles were only polite, not heartfelt.

She didn't want to be like that. She liked him, so she didn't want to be written off as a member of his fan club. She had also noticed that when he was with Logan, the pair had a teasing relationship, always giving each other grief, so Rogue decided to emulate that. She'd like it if he was a friend as well as a teacher.

Being Logan's friend meant that Rogue got to see a little of Remy away from the other students, when they hung out together, but she tried not to intrude too much.

She was surprised when both men agreed to teach her how to play poker. Growing up in the south she was used to a strict gender divide and a 'lady' just didn't play poker. Or smoke. Or drink liquor. Or swear. The list was endless and Rogue had always resented it, but neither man saw world like that, and she was glad of it.

She was also determined that they wouldn't have to dumb down the poker games when she played, so in between games she taught Bobby and John how to play so that she could improve her skills. Within a month she felt that she was on an even footing with them. Well okay, Logan and Gambit were both better than she was, but not that much better that she felt out of her league. They were also very good at giving her tips, which meant that more often than not, she was able to wipe the floor with John and Bobby.

They played for chips only, not cash but Logan and Remy seemed to have come to an agreement, whoever won the most chips bought the drinks on their next night out. Rogue was of course excused this when she lost, as she was far too young to go drinking with them, but on the occasions when she actually managed to beat them both, one or other would take her into town at the weekend for an ice cream sundae.

Unfortunately she didn't win that often, but it did give her an incentive to improve.

Rogue had just enjoyed an sinful sundae courtesy of Remy, who at their last poker game had had the smallest pot and was therefore considered the loser. She always picked the most fattening thing on the menu when he took her out, mainly due to his insistence that's he needed some fattening up. Sometimes it felt like he was always trying to feed her up. When it was his night to cook, he always chose dishes that she found hard to resist and he always gave her a large helping. She didn't know whether to take it as a compliment or an insult, but eventually she decided that he just liked having another southerner around to enjoy his cooking.

Once they were finished, Gambit had to visit the liquor store to top up his and Logan's beer supply and rather that waiting in the car, Rogue visited the pharmacy at the same time. She was surprised when Remy came up behind her, since she didn't think that she'd been here that long.

"Petite?" he asked.

Rogue was looking at hair die. She had overheard some of the other students making fun of her white streak and she was feeling self conscious. She hadn't wanted anyone to know that she was thinking of dying it though, in case they tried to talk her out of it.

"I'm only seventeen and I'm going grey," she finally admitted.

Remy took her shoulders and turned her to face him.

"I thought you liked it?"

"I did," she looked down, afraid to admit that she was giving in to peer pressure.

"But?" he prompted.

"I look weird," she admitted.

Remy put one gloved finger under her chin and gently tilted her face up.

"It makes you look beautiful, ma chère. And believe me, Gambit knows about women, so don't listen to anyone else." He gave her a teasing smile.

"You really think it looks nice?"

"Non, I think it looks beautiful."

Rogue blushed and was a little sorry when Remy stepped away.

"Yeah, like I'm gonna take fashion advice from a no good swamp rat."

He smiled, realising from her teasing that she was fine once again.

"Come on, chère," he said, putting his arm around her shoulders and led her from the shop. "Before this swamp rat gives you a week of early morning training sessions for even considering colouring your hair."

She inhaled sharply. "You wouldn't!"

"Try me."

She was right though, he wouldn't.

He knew that some of the girls talked about Rogue behind her back, and he knew that they sometimes made fun if her hair but it was just jealousy.

She had Logan, Remy, John and Bobby eating out of the palm of her hand, and all without trying, plus, she had a mutation that should make her an instant turn off for any man. They just didn't understand it.

The truth was, they were trying too hard, trying to be fun and flirty and sexy. Rogue never tried, she was who she was and you could take her or leave her. To Remy, and many other men, that was far more appealing than someone who looked like they were playing dress up in their slutty older sisters wardrobe.

Most of the girls would learn in time and as they grew more confident with who they were, they would stop trying so hard. In the mean time, they would belittle the one girl who had got it right, even although it was actually Rogue's lack of confidence that stopped her from playing the game. She didn't think that she was even in the running, so why bother trying, right?

If it wouldn't get him fired, not to mention doing very little for his self respect, he would prove to her just how desirable she was but alas, all he could do was be there when she needed a friend.

The whole mansion was subdued in the wake of Jean's death.

Remy couldn't claim to be great friends with her, although they had been friends and team mates for a long time. He, Scott and Charles were also dealing with the after effects of becoming Striker's slaves. Remy and Scott especially, since they had previously been prisoners of Striker.

Jean was also Scott's girlfriend and so he was taking her loss especially hard. In fact he had hardly left his room since she died.

Logan too was having difficulty dealing, even though Jean had chosen Scott over him. He had left the mansion, heading god only knew where.

Rogue had found solace in the arms of Bobby. Their relationship had been budding before but in the wake of Alkali Lake, Jean's death, John's defection to Magneto and Logan's departure, they became pretty inseparable. Remy told himself that he was glad, that if she had a boyfriend, it would be less temptation for him.

He couldn't quite get himself to believe that though.

Instead he occupied himself by upgrading the security system. He had installed the current system soon after he'd been take on, but he had been lax about upgrading it and it was badly out of date. He blamed himself for Striker having been able to get into the school.

This new system cost nearly a hundred thousand and was the best of the best, plus it had a few unique additions that he had added. Not only that, he would be reviewing security yearly, just to make sure that they were keeping up with the times.

Remy entered Charles' office to see Storm already there. He accepted the tea that Charles poured for him and sat down to hear what this was all about.

"Some of the student from the graduating class have expressed an interest in becoming X-men." Charles explained.

"You mean now?" Storm asked.

"Yes."

"What about college?" Remy said. He knew that one of those who wanted want to join was Rogue, and he knew that she was far too young to start risking her life on missions.

"That troubled me too," Charles confessed. "Peter informs me that he doesn't want to go to college, and those are views he has expressed in the past so I'm inclined to believe him. It's not our job to force students into higher education."

"And the others?" Remy asked.

"I've looked into the possibility of home study degrees and providing the subjects that they choose aren't too outlandish, I believe that we should be able to help them here."

"But we have other classes, Professor," Storm argued. "Besides, we aren't qualified to teach a degree."

"We won't be," Charles assured her. "Most of the knowledge they need will be supplied or available in text books. Our only job will be to help them should they need it."

Storm was quiet while she considered the professors words. She thought that a degree was necessary to succeed in life but Remy on the other hand, didn't have any proper schooling. He thought that a person's character was far more important than their qualifications.

"They're too young," Remy finally admitted.

Storm looked over at him, clearly not having considered that before. The X-men were essentially down three people; Jean was dead, Scott was grieving and Logan had gone, no one knew for how long.

That left the professor, who wasn't exactly useful in the field thanks to his disability, Storm and Remy. Two people hardly made a team so although she sounded reluctant, Storm had to agree with Remy.

"He's right, professor, they're only eighteen."

"They are young but hardly inexperienced," Charles continued. "And I have no intention of sending them on a mission until both you and Remy are satisfied with their training."

That cheered Remy up a little, that he could veto their involvement if he though they weren't ready.

"At the end of the day, it is their choice, and I will abide by their decision," Charles continued. "I expect you will both want to talk to them and I welcome your input, but please don't try to badger or browbeat them. They are adults now and they deserve the right to make their own choices."

Remy nodded. He wouldn't refuse Rogue if she really wanted to join but equally, he would make her aware of just how foolish he thought it was.

Remy was heartened slightly when Bobby changed his mind about going to college but Rogue insisted that she wanted to join the X-men. Bobby changed his mind again, but at least Remy knew that she wasn't doing this for some boy.

He and Rofue had argued about hr decision often and now, were hardly on speaking terms.

Remy had no choice but to accept the decision of all the students, but he and Storm devised the most rigorous training programs for them in the danger room. Partly it was to drive home how difficult this job was, but mostly it was to make sure that they were ready. All the kids who wanted to join, Rogue, Bobby, Pete and Kitty, had the necessary courage, what they lacked was the training and field experience.

"I hate you," Rogue glared at Remy over the poker table.

"You say that now," Remy answered with a smile, "But you'll be singing a different tune when I take you to the ice cream parlour."

"I won't even be able to walk by the weekend," she grumbled, and Bobby nodded in agreement.

With Logan away, Remy felt that he had to invite Bobby to join their poker nights. It wasn't that he didn't trust himself to be alone with Rogue, but he did find having a chaperone comforting. Plus, Bobby had just lost his best friend, John, to Magneto. As much as Remy didn't like him (no one would be good enough for his Rogue) the kid was hurting.

"Can't you tone down the training sessions," Bobby asked. "Just for a few days."

"Non. What we're teaching you will keep you alive."

"But this isn't a real mission," Rogue argued. "Besides, I'll bet you didn't have to go through all this to join."

Remy looked at her over his cards, wondering how much to reveal. His past wasn't a secret, but he also didn't speak of it much.

"Non," he finally admitted. "But I spent my whole childhood training."

Rogue's jaw dropped.

"Really?" Bobby asked.

"Oui." He sighed, knowing that now he would have to explain. "I'm not a master thief by accident, chère, my whole childhood was a lesson. The guild taught me the basics, reading, writing, math, but the rest of my days were spent learning how to walk silently, how to fight when necessary, how to pick a lock with my feet."

"With your feet!" Rogue exclaimed.

"Oui. My father wrapped my hands in tape and left me handcuffed to my bed until I learned how to do it."

"What would have happened if you hadn't learned?" she asked, appalled that any father would do that to his son.

"The few who couldn't do it were released after about a week."

"A week?" she echoed.

"How long did you take to get out?" Bobby asked.

"Twelve hours."

They both looked at him in shock, and perhaps awe.

"I learned early on that there was no mercy in the guild so I had two choices, get on with it and get it over with as quickly as possible, or lie there whining and wait for someone to release me from my own filth after a week."

"That's horrible," Rogue said kindly.

Remy looker over at her, liking the sympathy he saw in her eyes, even while he knew that she needed to toughen up.

"Sometimes I thought so too, until that trick saved my life. Jean-Luc was many things, but he wasn't needlessly cruel. Truth is, the world is a tough place, chère, and if you want to survive it, you need to realise that."

Rogue and Bobby shared a look, but they stopped complaining about aching muscles and minor injuries after that.

News of the cure swept through the mansion and had everyone talking. Some hated it, some were able to see both sides, and some thought that it would be a blessing for those who wanted to take it. Remy noticed that those who were in favour of the cure were generally ones who had a visible mutation or those who had suffered other hardships, such as being rejected by their families.

Remy didn't hate the cure but he also didn't love the idea either. He had experienced bullying thanks to his visible mutation, his eyes, but he also vividly remembered how it felt the first time he'd looked in the mirror after they were gone; he felt like he was looking at someone else.

As a result of his work with the professor, he now had them back to their natural red and black, and he would not be wishing them away any time soon. As was often the case, he felt that many people who took this cure wouldn't realise what they would lose until it was too late.

His first concern was obviously Rogue. Her mutation wasn't visible but it was debilitating. He had no doubt that she'd get it under control one day but when you were a teenager, 'one day' felt like an eternity. He was almost certain that she would take the cure.

As Remy looked down at the pond as Bobby and Kitty skated across it's surface, he prayed that Rogue couldn't see them. But he knew that her room was on the same side of the mansion as his, so she probably could. He didn't think Bobby was cheating on her; everyone was pretty cut up about the professor's death and Bobby was just trying to cheer up a friend. Unfortunately Remy also knew how it would hurt Rogue to see Bobby with Kitty, to see Bobby with any woman that he could touch, really.

Against his better judgement, he made his way along the hall to Rogue's room and knocked gently.

"It's open."

He went inside and could see from her position that she had been staring out of the window too.

"How're you holding up, chère?"

She shrugged and sat heavily on the side of her bed. Remy sat down beside her and put his arm around her shoulder. To his surprise, she put one arm around his back and rested her head on his shoulder. When he felt the tell tale tremors that meant she was crying, he pulled her into a proper hug and just held her as she cried.

He had never been in such an intimate position with Rogue before, he had made sure of it, but so few people were willing to touch her, let alone hug her, that he couldn't refuse her in her time of need.

"It's all right, chère," he said, trying to reassure her, so he was surprised when she pulled away.

"It's not all right!" She buried her face in her hands as she continued to cry.

Remy was smart enough to realise that this wasn't just about the professor or Bobby.

"What's up?"

She cried harder for a few minutes while he gently stroked her back, but Remy didn't press her for an answer. She had heard the question and would answer, or not, in her own time.

"You'll hate me." She sniffed.

"I could never hate you."

She looked over at him, seemingly trying to gauge the truth in that statement. She looked away and when she finally spoke, he had to strain to hear her.

"I... I'll never touch."

He realised why she felt bad. While the other students were upset over the loss of a teacher and a mentor, Rogue was also mourning the loss of someone, possibly the only person, who could help her control her mutation. She felt selfish for feeling that way. Sometimes it frightened him how well he could understand her.

"Maybe you won't," he said, because as much as he hoped that wasn't the case, he couldn't say for sure and he would never lie to her. "And being upset about that doesn't make you a bad person."

"Yes it does." She broke down in tears again and Remy pulled her back into a hug. She resisted at first but finally gave in and accepted the comfort he offered.

He didn't know how long he held her, but it was quite a while until she finally pulled away and wiped her eyes. Remy missed the contact but he didn't try to stop her.

"Thank you," she said, offering him a small smile.

"Any time, chère." He returned her smile. "You gonna be okay?"

"Yeah." She nodded. "Actually, I think I'm finally ready to sleep."

He wasn't surprised, crying could be exhausting. He placed a final kiss on her hair.

"Come get me if you need anything," he said, finally taking his leave.

He had enjoyed that far too much, he realised as he returned to his own room. He was her friend and she was in pain, he shouldn't enjoy the fact that she needed him, he shouldn't be glad that Bobby was neglecting her, and he really shouldn't want to remember what it had felt like to hold her.

He shouldn't be the one here comforting Rogue, it should be Bobby, her boyfriend. He had no right to be here in her room, enjoying the feeling of her pressed up against him. What the hell was Bobby doing cheering up some other girl anyway? Rogue should be his priority!

He collapsed onto his bed, certain that things were going to get a lot worse, for all of them, before they got better.

When Remy heard that Rogue had left the mansion, he didn't need to ask where she had gone. He shouldn't be leaving now, things were too chaotic, but he headed straight to the garage anyway.

The closest clinic was in New York which was about an hour's drive away, unless he used the booster button on his bike, which he did. He made it there in under thirty minutes and headed for the biggest clinic, the one what was on most of the local news reports.

Thankfully she was not only there, the queue was so long that she wasn't anywhere near to being seen yet. He made his way along the line and stood beside her.

She stiffened when she noticed him and glared. "Go away, swamp rat."

It wasn't said with her usual affection.

"Can't do that," he answered honestly.

"Why not?"

"Because you have the rest of your life to take this cure but once it's done, you can't take it back."

"I want to do this, I want to be normal."

"Maybe I want that too."

"You want the cure?" She was stunned out of her anger.

"You know, there was a time when I was a danger to everyone around me. My powers were out of control. Not only could I kill with a single look, I did." His voice was soft now. He had never told anyone else that secret.

"D- Did you want to?" she asked, her voice equally soft.

"No. Like I said, I couldn't control it. I killed a lot of people, chère. Hurt many more."

She took his hand which surprised him, Rogue hardly ever initiated physical contact with anyone.

"What happened?"

"Striker and his men happened. They kept me sedated until they'd figured out how to reduce my power."

"That's what I want too," she admitted. "I don't want to be dangerous."

Remy tried not to snap at her, after all, she didn't know how awful being a prisoner of Striker had been.

"I thought it was a good thing too, once. Then I realised that he'd taken away who I was, or at least big part of who I was. That's why the professor undid it for me."

"But you can control it now."

Remy looked down at her and cupped her face in his gloved hands.

"Can I?" he asked. "I'm a class 5, chère, one moment of rage or terror, and I don't know if I could stop myself." He remembered when he had blown up a table at his families home.

"But you do so much good! You can't.." she looked around to make sure no one was listening in, then lowered her voice to a hiss. "You can't leave the X-men!"

"No, I can't," he admitted. "But if the cure had been available when my powers grew out of my control, I would probably have volunteered to take it. I still live with the guilt and part of me thinks that I don't deserve to play the hero."

"You don't play, Gambit, you are a hero."

He smiled slightly but she could tell that he didn't believe her.

"I'll make you a deal, chère. No one should have to go through this alone, so you take the cure and I will too. You tell me you want to try for a bit longer, and I'll help you."

"What can you do that the professor couldn't?" she asked sullenly.

"I don't know, but I have a few ideas. Always did think that Chuck was going easy on you," he said with a hint of a smile, finally garnering a smile in reply from her. "So is that a yes?"

She sighed and finally nodded.

"Come on, chère, let's go home." He placed an arm around her shoulder and led her away from the queue.

"Can we stop for a sundae before we go back?" she asked.

"Anything you want," he assured her, just happy that he has bought her some time.

"Why didn't you ask if it had anything to do with Bobby?" Rogue asked as they were sitting in the ice cream parlour.

"I already know the answer."

She looked puzzled but didn't ask anything else and continued eating her sundae.

"I think I'm gonna break up with him," she confessed a few moments later.

Though the thought gladdened his heart, Remy forced himself to be impartial.

"Why?" he asked.

"Because he deserves someone he can touch, someone he can... be intimate with."

"Sex is just one form of intimacy, chère."

She looked at him like he was crazy. "We can't do the other stuff either."

"I include foreplay and kissing with sex."

Now she really looked confused. "This from the ladies man?"

Remy didn't brag about his exploits at the school, but they weren't exactly a secret and being Logan's friend, Rogue knew more than most.

"They're not relationships, Rogue. Sex is great, sure, but it's only a small part of a relationship. Real intimacy comes from absolute trust and respect."

"Don't you feel anything for those women?"

"I like them, of course, but I don't love them." How could he when he, was already in love with Rogue. "Sex is just sex, Rogue, and you can get that anywhere, but intimacy is so much more. I haven't had that in..." his words trailed off.

"Since?"

Remy sighed, he could never deny her. "Since I was a teenager. There was this girl back home, Belladonna."

"And you loved her?"

"Oui." He smiled sadly. "We were even married, very briefly."

"What happened?"

"Her brother didn't like it, us, and things ended... badly."

"I'm sorry." Rogue looked down at her ice cream.

"Don't be. It was a long time ago, I'm over it. What I'm really trying to say is that love and sex don't always go hand in hand. If he loves you, he'll wait forever."

Rogue smiled, then reached out and stole a spoonful of Gambits rum raisin ice cream, mainly because she knew he hated it when anyone stole his food.

"Hey!" he slapped her hand but smiled at her cheek.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

140K 4.2K 27
Starlight had gone through a very difficult life. She had very strange abilities and she fells all alone. However one day a man named Wolverine comes...
138K 7.7K 74
Supernatural creatures are real. They are a part of the world now, instead of hiding in the shadows. They want to belong. Will they? When Davyna's mo...
59.9K 1.6K 24
For Audrey Brooks it was all about revenge. Ending the man who ended your dreams and made your life hell. So when the opportunity presented itself in...
17.5K 252 25
Claire like her father was an experiment of Stryker's. When her fathers memories were erased her mother managed to convince him that Claire was his a...