The Town (Book 1, Lonstino...

By moudenes

Ximena Gaytan moves temporarily to the coastal town of Lonstino to work on her newest romance book and mend h... More

Chapter 1 - Writer's Block
Chapter 2 - The Mechanic
Chapter 4 - The Professor
Chapter 5 - The Candy Maker
Chapter 6 - Moving In
Chapter 7 - The Entrepreneur
Chapter 8 - Fresh Bread
Chapter 9 - Sweet as Candy
Chapter 10 - Appearances
Chapter 11 - Julio's
Chapter 12 - Heart to Heart
Chapter 13 - An Unexpected Call
Chapter 14 - Double Trouble
Chapter 15 - Breaking the Ice
Chapter 16 - Bad Memories
Chapter 17 - Assumptions
Chapter 18 - Saved
Chapter 19 - Letters
Chapter 20 - Confessions
Chapter 21 - Brainstorm
Chapter 22 - Paragraph
Chapter 23 - Encounter
Chapter 24 - Pastry Box
Chapter 25 - Raincheck
Chapter 26 - Bitter
Chapter 27 - Realization
Chapter 28 - Options
Chapter 29 - Truth
Chapter 30 - Hope
Chapter 31 - Date
Chapter 32 - Boys
Chapter 33 - Deirdre
Chapter 34 - Hannah
Chapter 35 - Justice
Chapter 36 - Evening
Chapter 37 - Solutions
Chapter 38 - Catfight
Chapter 39 - Bail
Chapter 40 - Sea Rose
Chapter 41 - Plans
Chapter 42 - Ideas
Chapter 43 - Fire
Chapter 44 - Meeting
Chapter 45 - Oliver
Chapter 46 - Suspect
Chapter 47 - Gone
Chapter 48 - Frustration
Chapter 49 - Regret
Chapter 50 - Welcome Party
Chapter 51 - All for Ximena
The Town - The Playlist

Chapter 3 - The Dreamer

20.3K 735 48
By moudenes

CHARLIE

The café bustles with elderly tourists as always, and I'm profoundly thankful for that, but I wish there were some excitement in this town. Jess and I talk often about one day leaving Lonstino and opening a restaurant in Greenwood, but we are deeply rooted here and know that it will never happen.

"Hey, dreamer! Here's a new order," my sister snaps her fingers in front of me, getting me out of my moment of distraction.

I give her my best grin and look at the numbers on the paper that she hands me. Just some subs and soup, easy peasy. Soon I will be free and my plan is to relax at home, prepare bread dough for tomorrow and do the administration work I've been neglecting for a while.

It was much easier when I was just a cook and Dad took care of everything else. Jess and I took the café over after our parents decided to take an early retirement to take care of their health issues. We were excited about undertaking this big adventure, but it turned out to be more complicated than we thought. I know my way around a kitchen without a problem. I grew up here, watching my dad cook and my mom serving the customers. But I wasn't ready to take care of a business when I'm reminded of my limitations so often.

Once the sandwiches are ready, I ladle the soup carefully making sure I clean the border of the bowl and finish them with a sprig of thyme. We might be a small café in Lonstino, but we are known for our good food and excellent service. After placing the meals on the counter and ringing the bell for pick up, I see Jaden entering with a woman with messy hair and eyes full of wonder. She gazes around the café and her posture relaxes. A sense of pride fills me as I see the effect this place full of nostalgia and memories has on her. Jess watches Jaden and his companion through narrowed eyes. The woman is beautiful; big brown eyes set in a round pale face surrounded by blond hair in a stylish cut. She's also petite, like my sister, whose size doesn't match the extent of her fiery temperament and her strength.

"Hey, Monroe! You have a new neighbor," Jaden says.

I walk out of the kitchen, removing my apron along the way. I greet Jaden with a handshake and turn my attention to his friend.

"Charlie, this is... Love, what was your name again? You told me while wearing the helmet," he flashes her his characteristic grin but she doesn't look affected by it.

"Ximena Gaytan. Pleased to meet you," she shakes my hand.

"Charles Monroe, you can call me Charlie. How come we'll be neighbors?"

"She'll be renting from Greg," Jaden answers for her, earning a stern look. "Her car broke down by the last valley, and I'm having it towed to my garage."

"Oh, that's unfortunate. Hopefully Jaden will have it fixed soon. And good that you are renting from Greg. He keeps that place in great shape."

"I have to keep going," Jaden says. "Greg's still in Greenwood. Can you bring her to him? Maybe she wants to eat something."

"I have a mouth, you know," she mumbles and I try to keep a straight face.

"No problem, I can bring you to his house later," I say and make sure to make eye contact with her. "Hey Jaden, before you leave, can you take a look at one of my ovens? It started acting funny this morning. Didn't heat at the right temperature."

"Okay, which one?" He asks, already walking into the kitchen.

"Top one," I yell before the door closes.

"How long will you be renting from Greg?"

"Six months is the idea."

"Six months in Lonstino will feel like an eternity," I laugh. "Hopefully I'll get to see you often around here. Are you in the tourism industry?"

Ximena gives me a curious look. "No, I just need a place to write my next book in peace."

"Oh, you are a writer, that is interesting! Do you think I've ever read one of your books?" I ask. As if I have ever read a book in my life.

"Only if you like romance," she gives me a smile that makes my insides melt.

"Maybe my sister Jessica has," I point at her while she chats with customers.

Ximena's smile widens. "Can I see the menu? I hope I'm on time for a late lunch," she places a hand over her stomach as it emits a rumbling noise.

"Right on time. Here you go," I hand her a menu. "There is nothing fancy; just soup, salads,

and sandwiches, but it's what people around here enjoy."

While Ximena checks the menu, I look around the dining area and try to appreciate it through the eyes of a newcomer. We turned the worn out looking diner into a beautiful contemporary place. Large artistic photos of the fairgrounds and the pier hang on the walls, and we removed the old orange booths and replaced them with wooden tables and chairs.

"This is hard. I like pretty much everything that you have here. Just surprise me."

"I'll try my best."

Jaden comes out of the kitchen, wiping his hands on a rag. "The knob had a thick layer of grease and wasn't turning the screw inside. You should maybe have the stove extractor checked just in case that's the reason for the buildup. See you around Ximena. I'll let Greg know when your car is fixed."

Before any of us can reply, he walks towards my sister, kisses her cheek and leaves.

XIMENA

Charlie leaves to prepare my food and I find myself admiring his physique. He's one of the tallest guys I've ever met. His face has a boyish charm; likely because of the bunch of dark curls held back by a thick band. His sister shares the same type of her, yet the stare she throws my way from time to time is not as friendly as Charlie's. I avoid looking at her as I watch the town's pier through the window. Right now it's almost empty, but for the few people fishing.

After a few minutes, Charlie sets a big bowl of steamy soup in front of me together with a basket of bread slices. He then sits in front of me, making me feel self-conscious and hesitant on what to do next. I reach for a piece of bread, and our hands bump as he reaches out for the same piece. We laugh and I feel more at ease as he hands it to me and grabs a piece of bread for himself.

"That good, huh?" he says after I let out a noise close to a moan.

"I swear this is the most delicious bread I've ever had. Best mix of crispy crust and buttery spongy inside. You need to introduce me to your supplier."

"Nice to meet you, Charlie Monroe," he salutes.

"You made this? Charlie, this is amazing food!" I say and pick another piece.

"It's my mom's recipe and the reason why this café is still operating after so many years. We even sell loaves early in the morning."

"Your parents own this place?"

"Not anymore. Jess and I took over about three years ago when they retired."

"Were you born and raised in this town?" I ask while I taste the delicious chicken noodle soup.

"I was born in Greenwood and grew up here. I think the only birth in Lonstino was the one of Brian Connor. He was born on the fairgrounds."

"How come? Did his mother give birth on a ride?"

Charlie laughs heartily at my cheeky question and shakes his head. "No, the Connors own the fairgrounds and live there too. Brian was born in that house. You should meet him sometime, he's a great friend."

"I would certainly like to meet him. Soup is great too, by the way."

Charlie waves at a few people that come into the café. "I'll be with you in a moment. Our dinner shift staff is arriving and I need to talk to John, the evening manager."

I'm left to enjoy my meal and continue watching the people walking around and the calm sights of the pier. Charlie returns from the kitchen wearing a checked flannel shirt over his black t-shirt. I open my backpack and fetch my wallet to pay, but he places his hand over mine.

"It's on the house. Think of it as a welcome to Lonstino gift."

"Thank you, Charlie. That's very kind."

"Let me bring you to Greg's house."

After gathering my belongings, we walk outside and the breeze coming from the sea rustles my hair. Charlie makes light talk as we cross the street and shares some facts about the town and a few places that I should visit. I wonder what's in store for me next. The people seem friendly, the location is beautiful and peaceful, but I know that not everything that glitters is gold.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.2K 616 18
Sawyer is visiting his girlfriend in New York over break, but when he meets fellow Cambridge student Beckett, his otherwise calm vacation gets a litt...
524K 11.3K 45
PUBLISHED - Link in bio 💕 The summer after her sophomore year in college, Mia takes time to heal after a failed relationship. In an attempt to move...
3.9K 535 39
Michael Redmont returns to Greenwood after three years of traveling and receives a reality check when his book manuscript gets rejected, yet his bigg...
198K 10.8K 45
Moonlight House, the "it" place to eat, have a drink, dance to great live music and meet new people, becomes the place to mend broken hearts, find lo...