The girl from New York

By joanneexu

Completed✔️ Disclaimer: I wrote this when I was 15 so it is a bit cliché, and many mistakes in the story:) Al... More

01| New home
03| Run
04| Protective
05| Invitation
06| Preparty pooper
07| Antisocial
08| Lost and found
09| Weekend
10| Soccer
11| Papers
12| Rejection
13| Partners
14| "Research"
15| Truth
16| Confuzzled
17| Promise
18| Ignored
19| Unfavorable memories
20| Window visit
21| Just listen
22| Gossip
23| Forgiveness
24| Ski invite
25| Surprise
26| Uncomfortable
27| Would you rather
28| Bed wars
29| Movie
30| Clean
31| Not like that
32| Death wish
33| Help
34| Snowman
35| Nicknames
36| Thoughts
37| Slip of the tongue
38| Bunch of idiots
39| Holiday spirit
40| Oops
41| Awkward
42| Presents
43| Back again
44| Preach
45| Trouble
46| Car wash
47| Tomato Soup
48| Sushi roll
SEQUEL

02| New girl

61K 1.4K 316
By joanneexu

"Five more minutes..." I mumbled, waving off dad's hands. I really don't want to go to school. Dad sighed and walked away, making me smile in victory. But, the smile didn't last long.

"Wake up Brook!" He exclaimed, turning on the bedroom lights. I squealed and covered my eyes with my blanket. I gripped it tightly as dad attempted to pull it off of me, but I was to weak to keep my hold. I cursed under my breath as I stood up and started digging through my clothes.

"Okay, I'm up. Happy?" I muttered. Dad nodded and walked out, heading to do the exact same thing to my brothers in the next room. I pulled out some light wash jeans and a white t-shirt, then found my black converses.

I walked into the bathroom and changed quickly, brushed my teeth and hair, put on a little bit of makeup, as I knew it Colin started banging on the bathroom door.

"Wait a minute!" I yelled, desperately trying to apply mascara on my eyelashes. This was almost the routine now: I would get to the bathroom first, then Colin decides he wants to use the very same bathroom that I'm in. It's super agitating, but I can't hit him. He's 20, four years older than me and planning to graduate from college before moving out. But, since he's 20, he's also way stronger than me.

I unlocked the bathroom door, letting Colin in. He pushed me out and quickly closed the door. I walked away before I could hear what made him so impatient, quickly walking back into my room to grab my fully prepared backpack. I picked it up and ran into the kitchen for some breakfast.

"Morning dad!" I said as I passed him on my way to the kitchen. He nodded as a response and held up a pot and a metal spoon. Sweet baby Jesus, please send help. Dad walked into the room that John, my second oldest brother, was still asleep in. I poured out my Cheerios, while dad hit the spoon harshly onto the pot to wake John up. Sadly, this is a normal school day for us.

•••

I stepped into the high school that I would be attending for the rest of junior and senior year, and right away I noticed how severe people were already staring at me. My heart raced nervously as I walked through the crowd towards the door that was labeled 'Office room 1'. I just need to grab my schedule and get out, this is simple, I'll survive. It's not as if I'm... oh, wait. I am from completely another state.

"H-hi, I'm Brooklyn Harvey. I-I was wondering if there is a schedule f-for me?" I said nervously to the woman at the front desk. She nodded and look through a cabinet labeled 'H'.

"It was made just an hour ago. Here you go." She handed it to me and continued "Your regular junior class will be in hallway C, on the left side. Your locker number is 277 and..." She rambled on about how things worked here, which I was actually very grateful for. The only thing that stopped her was when the bell rang, which I assume was the first period bell. I thanked the nice office lady and walked out, gripping on my schedule with a shaky hand. Okay, I can get trough a day here! No problem.

I walked with a carefully slow pace towards the first hallway on the left. The influx of students in the overcrowded hallway was almost never ending, and I couldn't seem to move faster than five steps per minute. My impatience grew unbearable, so I started pushing myself through the crowd, earning a few hateful glares. My average body made my mission easier, but I was still walking super slow and gaining next to no progress.

"Hey, watch it!" A girl said sharply, pushing me to the side. I mumble curses under my breath, not daring to say them out loud. I hugged the wall closely and slunk last the slow walking students and finally into the hallway. Hallway C was no where near any better.

I looked at my schedule and saw my first period class room 214, English with Mr. Rivers. I let out an exasperated sigh, ignoring the strange looks from people in the hallway. I carefully read each door number. I searched the hallway for good four minutes, the bell have already signalling the start of first period, before I found the dam door. I took a deep breath and I pushed the door open.

"You're late. Again!" The teacher announced, not bothering to stop writing on the board for a single second to see who he was addressing. Again? But this was the first day! "Take a seat Alex. I'll give you your tardy slip in a minute."

"Uh..." I coughed. No Brook, you can change. You won't be shy, geeky, nobody like you were in New York. "I'm pretty sure that my name isn't Alex." I said finally, putting my hands on my hips and using a sassier tone. Honestly, I'm not even used to talking at school. Mr. Rivers looked over at me and laughed nervously while the classroom roared.

"Oh...my apologies." He said flatly. Who was Alex? "Just find a seat for now until I-" he was interrupted by the door behind me slamming opening, contrasting my timidness of opening the door just moments before. I turned and saw a boy with sparkling blue eyes, dark brown hair that was swept to the right, and a naturally tan skin. I thought I was in Tennessee, not California! I felt as if I was staring too long. I looked away.

"I know, I know. I'm late. Again." The boy said, putting his hand up to silence the teacher. Was this Alex? Maybe there is something good about this school. Our teacher impatiently pointed out an empty seat at the front for him to sit, at the meantime, I was standing awkwardly as if I was glued in place.

Mr. Rivers beckoned me to his desk while the other students ignore my presence, instead just writing down the notes, he wrote on the board. I walked stiffly to his desk, already losing my 'tough girl' act.

"You're Brooklyn, correct?" He asked, writing something down on a slip of paper. I nodded quietly before realizing that he wasn't looking up at me.

"Err. Yes. Well, I go by Brook" I answered awkwardly easily transforming back into the introvert that I was back in New York. A few people giggled in the back, and I heard a handful people whispering among each other. I officially hate being the new kid.

"Alright then, you can find a seat and start taking notes." Mr. Rivers said. Allowing me to walk to a seat further in the back. I can't redeem myself, I don't have to be socially awkward. But, maybe this mission would be easier if I didn't hate annoying people so passionately. Sadly, annoying people outnumber normal people.

I pulled out one of my empty notebooks and started write down notes, and it's time like this that I wish I wasn't so embarrassed to wear my glasses that I ditched at home. I squinted at the board, slowly copying each word. Why do teachers always have to write with the lightest marker possible?!

I had barely finished my notes when Mr. Rivers started to go over the essay grades, he had gotten and how disappointed he was with them. For some reason, I got disappointed in myself, even though I hadn't even written an essay here. But still, my brain scolded me harshly, pushing me to perfection like it often does. Sometimes this voice is inspirational, but usually it makes me think that I'm not good enough. But I've grown out of that. My self esteem has boosted. At least, I think it has.

Suddenly, I felt something slip under my arms, scaring me slightly. God, I'm too clumsy and easily scared to even try to hold a 'bad girl' reputation for an hour. I pulled the small piece of paper out from under my arm and read it.

'Hey, I'm Nate'

I quickly scribble something onto the piece of paper and slipped it back to the seat next to me, where did it came from? 'I'm Brook' was my response. Hey, look at that. I just made a potential friend!

We sneakily exchanging notes until the bell rang. I quickly stuffed the piece of paper in my pocket and walked out towards my next class.

Oh boy, this was going to be a long day...

———————————————————————

Hope you enjoyed this new chapter:) Don't forget to Vote and Follow!!

New chapters coming next Wednesday.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

192K 9.1K 39
Highest ranking : #4 humor [03/04/2020] - [05/04/2020] #9 Teen Fiction [25/09/2020] Crop tops, hem tops, cold shoulder tops: No Flannel shirts, comfy...
4.6M 264K 48
"You know, you aren't like most girls I have met." "Is that a good thing?" "It depends, are you obsessed with shopping?" "That involves walking... so...
5.3K 684 58
An internal voice told me to "call him," but I chose not to. I dismissed it once more, saying, "He never liked me anyway." I am stuck in my dilemma...
2K 45 21
A triangle love Part 1 of 2 *************** I suddenly pecked his lips and smiled confidently. He just looked at me and didn't say anything. I smile...