Blood: The Third Course

By CheleCooke

Spencer, Vince, and Edeline are still missing, no news of them but a trail of bodies that has now returned ho... More

Introduction
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty - The Epilogue

Chapter Thirty-Five

116 11 0
By CheleCooke

Spencer missed the times when the middle of the day was the perfect time to get something done under the radar. Before he'd left, the most activity he'd seen during the daytime was from those on day shifts at Tanner security, staring at computer screens. Or from Heather, curled up in an armchair typing away on her laptop. There would always be the occasional person in the corridors, but since he had been back, Spencer had seen as much activity during the day as he did during the night.

Up until that morning, Spencer would have said that it was because more and more daykeepers were living within the house. First, so he had heard, was Priya, the werewolf he had once shared bartending duties with, before he'd been turned that was. Now, Carson and Edeline were also staying in the house, not that Spencer had been allowed to see them. No, it was only Edeline that Spencer was not allowed near. August had been keeping a close eye on him ever since she had walked through the door.

From the moment August had bolted from his room to the dulcet tones of William howling bloody murder in the foyer, Spencer had been hovering by the door, one hand on the handle as he wondered whether he had time to do what was needed. He felt like a teenager again, trying to sneak a quick cigarette before his parents got home from work. Every minute hovering behind the door was a minute lost, and yet he had stayed there, fearing getting caught and also knowing he could have had three cigarettes in the time he'd waited to make sure they wouldn't be coming home.

This time, Spencer didn't wait too long before he slipped into the corridor, closing the door quietly behind him. He hurried along the corridor, only pausing when he reached the door he'd been expressly forbidden from going to.

Only, once he stood outside that door, Spencer found he could not knock. He hesitated in front of the door, shuffling his feet for a full thirty seconds before he turned and walked back down to the other end of the corridor, scolding himself all the while. Crossing his arms over his chest, he raked his nails down his arms, digging into the flesh. He could hear William's fury at his pain. He could hear August giving orders, even. No one would be coming up here, at least nobody who knew Spencer was not to be near that door.

Spencer marched to the door, lifted his fist to knock, and chickened out again. Huffing to himself, he shook his head, staring at the curtain covered window at the end of the hall. He stormed back to his bedroom door, his hand already on the handle. Letting out a heavy breath, Spencer turned around, his eyes widening.

She stood in the doorway, shoulder resting against the frame. Giving him a look of quiet expectation, she drummed her fingers against her thigh.

"Were you ever going to knock?" she asked.

Spencer gulped, and he was sure that, had he still been living and all bodily systems functional, his palms would be sweating already. He glanced over his shoulder, back towards the stairs. From her place in the doorway, Edeline chuckled.

"You have time to smoke, Spencer."

Licking his bottom lip, Spencer nodded, self-consciously wiping his hands on the sides of his trousers. He took another look back towards the stairs before walking down the corridor towards her.

"I wouldn't want people listening in either," she said, stepping back and holding the door open. "Though I have a feeling that they will be busy for quite a while yet."

"Is William okay?"

"Always teach children the importance of sunblock." Edeline tilted her head to the side and smiled gently. "He will be fine. Perhaps tender for a day or so. He took a great risk in going outside."

Spencer wondered whether she was going to remain standing in the doorway, holding the door open as an escape hatch. He wouldn't blame her, after everything he had done. Spencer stood in the middle of the room and looked around. For starters, at least, it was nicer than the motels they had been staying in. Not to mention that there were no handcuffs chaining her to a radiator pipe. He went to the window, stroking his fingers down a ripple in the curtains. It wasn't lost on Spencer that she had kept the curtains closed, though he wondered whether she realised that keeping them open would be better protection within a house full of vampires.

"I shouldn't have come."

Edeline regarded him for a moment and then, having come to some sort of decision, closed the door behind her. He couldn't say from her expression whether she regretted the decision. Nevertheless, she moved further into the room and took a seat on the bed. She crossed her legs, resting her elbows on her knees. Tugging on the cuffs of a long-sleeved shirt, she tucked her fingers underneath the material. She stared at him, waiting.

He had considered how difficult it would be, shut in a room with her again. When August had told him to wait before trying to see her Spencer had assumed it was because Edeline did not wish to see him. Not that he would have blamed her. But now he wondered whether August had been keeping him away for his own sanity, knowing how difficult it would be to resist. The scent of her blood was overwhelming, the excitement and the familiarity of it.

"Would you like some cotton wool to plug your nose?"

Spencer was horrified that she had chosen that moment to listen in on him, but when he looked at her it was to find her smirking at him. Spencer frowned and stared at his feet. He could feel Edeline's gaze on him. He didn't dare look up. Now he stood in that room, he didn't even know why he'd come. She would never forgive him, she had no reason to. He didn't deserve forgiveness. He could be sorry for the rest of his... life, and he would never be able to make up for what he had done to her. He shouldn't have come.

"You know, Spencer, an apology doesn't count unless you say it out loud."

She raised an eyebrow, a small, gentle smile that lets Spencer knew she had been listening in on his thoughts. He grimaced, and turned back towards the window.

"How can you be so calm?" he asked. "So casual? After what I did to you..."

Edeline's little smile faded and she watched him from beneath her lashes. When she didn't say anything, Spencer finally turned to look at her again. She considered him for a few silent seconds before she sat up straight and clasped her hands in her lap.

"You already know the answer to that. You read that from me already. Don't try to lie and say you didn't, we both know the truth."

Had he had enough fresh blood in his system, Spencer would have blushed. As it was, he merely stood there, looking more clammy and sick, than embarrassed. Grunting his acknowledgement, Spencer scratched awkwardly at his cheek.

"I may have," he said.

"Then we both know that being used for my blood is, in the end, exactly what my father has planned for me." She looked down at her knees. "He would have done it sooner or later. Of course, now it will be sooner than expected. Staying here is my best option."

"But that's with Carson, surely. Not me."

Edeline rocked her head from side to side as she thought about it.

"Having Carson here is reassuring," she said.

Spencer raised an eyebrow, barely concealing a grin.

"He is handsome," Spencer agreed. "In a murderous puppy kind of way."

She laughed.

"You mean like August?"

"Oh, I don't know. I'd say August is more feline than anything. You know the old adage, dogs have owners, cats have staff. And August always did like being in control."

"Yes, I have learned more than I would like about Mr Caine's... preferences. You do think about sex an awful lot, Spencer."

Spencer chuckled, holding the sounds behind his teeth. But the way Edeline looked at him with that knowing smirk, he couldn't hold it back anymore. He laughed, harder than he remembered laughing in a long time. Honestly and truly amused. Before long, Edeline was laughing with him, a bright smile lighting her face in a way he hadn't seen before.

His laughter died on his lips. He had been the reason she didn't smile. He had done to her what she had been scared of her whole life. He had used her as a blood bag, kept around for his own ends. He didn't even realise that Edeline had stopped laughing until he looked up. His lips parted in a desperate breath.

"I'm so sorry, Edeline," he whispered. "What I did to you was unforgiveable. I don't even know why you let me in after what I did."

"You are—perhaps with the exception of Mr. Caine, though with his history, I'm not sure—the safest vampire in this house."

"What?"

Spencer stared, wide-eyed, at her.

"You know what my blood does. I'm not some idle curiosity to you, thinking you could handle it where others couldn't. I know that, no matter how much your body tells you that you want to, you will never crave hurting me again."

"I shouldn't be forgiven for that."

"I never said you were."

A howl came rumbling up from one of the lower rooms. Edeline scoffed and shook her head.

"Don't people know how to keep it down?"

"I don't know why... August told me to stay in my room."

"He did it for Priya," Edeline said. "He was protecting her from my father. He threatened to turn her feral. He was giving it a good try, too. William may be considered brutal by many, but he is protective too. It seems many vampires are."

Spencer stared at the door, his eyes narrowed. He had no right to tell Edeline what to do. He had no right to even attempt it. And yet, after what she had said, he knew he couldn't stay silent, even if Edeline had already heard his thoughts.

"You have to stand up to him," he said. "If you don't, this will keep happening."

"I know," she muttered.

"He'll keep hurting people to get to you. If I could hand myself over as some sort of payment to stop this, I would—"

"I know."

"But he won't stop until you make him, Edeline. You're stronger than he is."

Edeline got to her feet.

"I know, Spencer," she snapped. She took a steadying breath. "I know what I have to do. Just... give me time."

Spencer felt like he'd been hit by a truck, and then backed up over in deep mud. What must she think of him, trying to take the moral high ground? It was ridiculous even in his head.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean..."

"Yes, you did," she said. "And you're right. I will go to him. But, for now, you must leave."

He stepped forwards, reaching for her before he thought better of himself and dropped his hands to his sides.

"No. Please, I'm sorry, I didn't want to upset you."

"I am not upset," Edeline said. "August is coming, and you need to get back to your room."

Spencer didn't know what to say as he went to the door, pulling it quietly open. Edeline returned to sitting on the bed, her hands clasped in her lap. She stared at the wall opposite her, as if he had already left. Opening his mouth, Spencer realised he had no witty or acceptable goodbye. So, instead, he pulled the door quietly closed, and hurried as quickly and as quietly as he could to his own room, thanking whatever deity might exist, that at least August could not read his thoughts too.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Forgive me for my lateness. I was out of town for the weekend. 
Remember to vote and comment!

Until Friday
Chele

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

164K 6.7K 27
Being dead just got complicated. Spencer's life began after his death. Being a vampire is better than any teen flick made it out to be. After all, wh...
868 99 24
They don't call him Jackpot for nothing. At seventeen, Jack was attacked by a werewolf, but vampires saved his life. When he grew tired of a life wit...
21 0 21
Guys! Book three is finally here! After the way book two ended, I'm sure lots of you wanted to get back to our story. In this story, there will be a...
1.4M 39.8K 25
❝Wolves and girls have one thing in common; they both have sharp teeth.❞ [ SEASON THREE - THE VAMPIRE DIARIES ] [ COMPLETED ] [ PREQUEL : RISING ] ©...