Frost on the Green (The Green...

By CatMint5

After getting shot during a burglary some months ago, Alissa Clover Green is on her way to full recovery. She... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Last A/N to Frost on the Green - What's to come?

Chapter 24

4.3K 168 35
By CatMint5

A/N: For those of you who don’t know, the song is called “Touch the Sky” and is from the Disney/PIXAR movie “Brave”.

*****

Skyler’s POV

When the cold wind is a calling
And the sky is clear and bright,
Misty mountains sing and beckon, 
Lead me out into the light.

Our singing was interrupted by yet another groan but Alice and I didn’t stop. On the contrary, we decided we ought to chant louder.
I will ride, I will fly,
Chase the wind and touch the sky,

I will fly, 
Chase the wind and touch the sky.

“This is one of the girlies songs ever,” my roommate complained aloud, realizing just groaning won’t make us shut up.

“No one invited you over to Alice’s apartment,” I noted. “So why are you here anyway?”

“I was done with my homework and thought Caden and I could have a beer,” he explained.

Alice paused as she was singing ‘deep waters hold reflections of times lost long ago’ to say:

“Well, Caden is drawing in the park so you can have us instead; no beer though,” she went on to simply hum the melody.

Keegan got up from the sofa with the intent to leave.

“What? Skyler and I are not enough for you?” Alice teased and turned her back to us to pick up our snacks leftovers from the living room table.

Kee opened his mouth but quickly closed it, his lips pursed tight. I knew he wanted to say something to Alice and maybe it was my presence here that put a stop to his intentions.

What if I left?

Would they talk then?

I’d spent all evening wondering if he still had feelings for my childhood friend. Maybe it was time to leave them alone. Caden probably wouldn’t be back in another hour so if I went away now, Alice and Kee would have a chance to talk. But how was I to leave them without raising suspicion?

I couldn’t just tell them “I’m going back to apartment 202; you two stay here on your own.”

Yeah, that was not going to work.

I had to come up with some excuse and fast before Keegan beat me to going back to our apartment; he was already heading for the door.

“I have to go talk to Beth,” I announced loudly then quietly added to my roommate as I passed him on my way out: “Keep an eye on her.”

Taking advantage of his concern was a cheap shot but the excuse served its purpose: Alice and Keegan were on their own. Now all I could do was wait and see if they would talk and hope that it wouldn’t end in disaster if they did.

*****

Alice’s POV

“You need some help with those?” Keegan offered and without waiting for my reply he grabbed the empty soda cans and headed for the kitchen. I took the plastic bowl – all greasy from our snacks – and followed him. When I approached him, he took the utensil off my hands and started washing it.

“Doesn’t this seem familiar,” I commented, drying the bowl with a towel before putting it in its place in one of the wooden cupboards.

“What does?” The boy asked, leaning sideways on the sink so he could face me.

“Seeing you do the dishes,” I replied and mimicked his position. “That was what you were busy with on one of my first visits to your apartment. There was a whole mountain of dishes. I think it was on the same day Skyler waged a war against that spider in the basement.”

Kee chuckled at the memory.

“Yeah, and then he freaked out because his elbow was bleeding,” he said, smiling. “He still has that scar.”

Battle scar,” we added at the same time and laughed.

It was easy to talk with Keegan. Beth always probed for more information on the topic. Skyler attempted to make jokes and change the subject when things got too complicated. Asher was an attentive listener but he reminded me too much of my therapist – he’d listen, hum and nod but he wouldn’t say much; sometimes I felt like I was talking to him, not with him. Caden…

I was afraid to speak with Caden.

I was afraid that I would say the wrong thing and upset or disappoint him and I didn’t want either of those.

Unlike the rest of my friends Keegan would be serious when needed, would talk but would know when to stop and although I did not want to upset him either, I was far less concerned about that than when it came to Caden. In the mood I was in now it would be easiest to talk with Kee. Even though he was observing me too intensely at the moment…

“Are you staying here to keep an eye on me,” I asked and the boy seemed to startle.

So they had not given up yet.

They still made sure that I was not alone.

I’d noticed it was something that my friends had strived to for the past week, ever since I last had a nightmare, the nightmare.

A part of me was grateful for their attention, another wanted to shout out: “I’m alright now”.

But in order to announce that I would first have to admit that at some point I had not been alright. And then I’d have to tell them all about that awful dream and how I’d burst into tears because of it. I didn’t want to go through that. I didn’t think I’d be able to without breaking down again.

“You’ve all been keeping an eye on me,” I said, lowering my gaze at the level of his shoes. For some reason I could not look him in the eyes. Perhaps I was afraid that he’d see just how emotional I got simply by thinking of that nightmare. Yes, I was afraid; lately I was always afraid.

The worn-out sneakers took two steps towards me. Their owner’s hand came into my vision and lightly gripped my chin. Keegan tilted my head up, forcing me to do exactly what I was scared of: look into his eyes. I’d forgotten what beautiful green they were even now that they seemed so stern.

For a moment I thought he was angry with me – he must be, why else would he look at me like that – but my worries dispersed as he spoke:

“We are all concerned about you, Alice. How can we not be when we care about you so much? No, you are not a burden; no, you don’t disappoint us when you are upset; and no, we wouldn’t get tired of you and leave you even if you break down in front of us.”

Something warm rolled down my cheeks and I wiped it with my hand.

“It’s like you read my mind,” I tried to say but a sudden series of sobs prevented it.

“There, there, Alice,” Kee pulled me towards his chest and started rubbing my back. I grabbed his shirt and kept on weeping so hard that only a minute later the whole fabric was soaked with my tears. He held me while I cried, waiting patiently for me to calm down and hushing me softly.

Once I was able to get a grip, I let go of him and repeated:

“It’s like you read my mind.”

This time no sobs came out, just a sniff, and I knew he’d heard me.

“I just tried to imagine how I’d feel in your shoes,” he commented quietly. “But I didn’t say all that just to give you peace; I really meant it.”

I nodded and took a piece of kitchen paper to blow my nose.

“Have you discussed this with Caden?” Kee asked.

I shook my head.

“You should. You should talk with him, Alice; he loves you.”

“I know but…” I lowered my head again only to have him lift my chin back up.

Maybe I was wrong.

Maybe Keegan didn’t know when to stop and just like Beth he’d probe me for more information.

Or maybe he’d realized I had to go through this sooner or later.

“I’m afraid to,” I admitted, ashamed by my cowardice.

“Don’t be. He knows when you are upset and it’s killing him that you don’t look to him for support; that you don’t even want to tell him about your problems.”

“But relying on his support is all I’ve done lately,” I protested. “What if he gets fed up with me?”

Another sob almost made its way through my lips but I managed to silence it.

“This is Caden we are talking about, Alice. The boy who turned his life around once he met you, because he met you. The same one that gazes at you like he’s hypnotized, the one whose day brightens the moment he sees you smile… Heck, he even puts up with me making fun of how whipped he is. Do you really think he can ever get fed up with you?”

I managed a smile.

“I know but… What if…”

“No ‘what-ifs’, Alice. He would never leave you.” I nodded again, grateful for his support. “Now how about we wipe the rest of your tears off before your boyfriend comes back? Just wipe them off…” He used his sleeve to get rid of the wetness on my cheeks. “That’s it… And then you think about what I’ve said, okay? I realize you might not be up for a heart-to-heart conversation now but you’ll have to man up and talk to Cade at some point.”

“Man up?” I raised an eyebrow.

“It’s a figure of speech; don’t go all feminist on me.”

I chuckled and heard the front door open.

“I was thinking,” Caden’s cheerful voice came from the living room but was getting closer. “Maybe we should order Chinese tonight? As much as I love pizza, I’m in a mood for…”

He finally entered the kitchen and froze.

“What’s going on here?” My boyfriend asked, looking between me and Keegan, his eyes demanding an answer.

Could he notice my own eyes were red from where he was standing?

Would he believe me if I told him I was tired or that an eyelash had fallen into my eyes and they got all teary?

I remembered Keegan’s advice: talk to Caden.

Perhaps it was time for the truth but was I ready to share it?

“I’ll be going now,” Kee stated, giving me a subtle encouraging nod.

Once again, the boy knew what I’d been thinking.

*****

Keegan’s POV

I smiled.

I knew I shouldn’t have done so because Alice had been upset and because she was still feeling insecure and unsure if she ought to talk to Caden. I felt for her, but I smiled nevertheless.

I’d discovered something during my conversation with the brunette and that something pleased me.

When she’d been down, I wanted to comfort her. I wanted to show her that she was not alone and that I was there for her; I wanted to talk her into tranquility; I wanted to hug her.

But I didn’t want to kiss her.

I just wanted to embrace her like I would support a friend, not a lover.

No carnal desires, no lust.

I still cared for her but I was not in love with her.

I did not know who or what had brought this change in me but I could finally call her ‘only a friend’ and actually mean it.
I was finally over Alissa Green.

*****

A/N: I know I said that I’d do my best not to have more than two POV-s per chapter as it might get confusing but I really wanted to show you how Keegan felt about his one-on-one with Alice. Are you happy the boy moved on?

Also, do you think Alice will be brave enough to follow Kee’s advice and talk to Caden or will she make up some excuse again?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.1K 201 36
Hunter and Amelia are childhood friends. However, Amelia's feelings for Hunter aren't much of a secret. Hunter goes from girl to girl because of his...
3.6K 362 66
(completed) #eroticromance #teenromance ⚠️ WARNING ⚠️ This story contains sexuality, violence, strong language and other mature themes. ...
10.3M 358K 61
Caden Miller. Hot, cynical, and notoriously labelled the bad boy of Crestmont High. Attention-seekers flirt with him. Idiots fight with him. The ones...
4.3K 118 36
𝗔𝗹𝗹𝗶𝗲 𝗦𝘂𝗺𝗺𝗲𝗿𝘀 ↬ she's your basic, molded into the background, type girl. She does everything she can to stay unseen. The only people she...