Lullaby

By StAl2LiGhT

(Based on the Academy series by C.L.Stone. Do not copy as a lot of this is original work from other stories I... More

1• Dance Forever With Me
2• The Guardians
3• Doctoring the Broken
4• Unraveling Our Demons
5• Soul Within a Soul
6• Wakey Wakey, Eggs & Bakey
7• Monsters are cute
8• Lycorns & Knomepyres
9• Stellar Genetics
10• Traitorous Organs
12• Aries
13• Lulu Phone Home Part 1
Lullaby OneShot~ What Could Have Been
A Lulu Mini ~ Lullaby's Christmas Tree
Cover Archives
Lullaby Big News
Publishing Announcement

11• The Damned

9.5K 385 675
By StAl2LiGhT

🦋
•A•
Third Person

Lullaby collapses entirely into Silas' arms, her head lolling back, eyes a starless void staring into an abyss none of them could see. Panic crossed every last one of them when they saw her eyes. The once churning colors and twinkling stars within her glorious orbs, vanished, leaving only darkness.

Owen drops his phone, eyes showing the rare emotion - horror. Sean rushes over to her and starts checking her vitals. He looks at Owen in a panic," Her heart's slowing down way too much Owen! She's cold to the touch!"

Owen's face twists into a scowl," Get her ready for travel. We've been instructed to take her to the Sky Palace. All affected Souls are being taken there."
Sean nods while Gabriel and Luke shoot off to her room to pack her a bag," The Elders are going to look at them?"

Owen nods at him," Yes. They believe they can hold off the infestation until we can stop it."
Sean stands with his fist clenched at his sides, looking at Owen angrily," What do you mean by infestation? What the hell is going on Owen?!"

Owen looks down in an almost dejected way," That witch has somehow weaved her way into their inner souls through their dreams and instigated soul neglect in any that have rested in the past half day. One Soul is already so bad off her skin is cracking from the intensity of the flames within her."

Sean steps forward a choked noise of panic leaving his throat," Which one?"
He's tended to nearly every Soul in The Academy. All were precious darlings that he wouldn't wish the sniffles on.

Owen looked up into his eyes, the steel grey color icy with anger," Reign."

Sean's hand covered his mouth in a slap as his eyes stared at his brother in unblinking terror. Reign was a sweet docile little thing who didn't have much fight in her. She'd always been frail. Sean had been called to her Guardians' manor numerous times for common illnesses she should've been immune to. It happened, rarely, but it happened.

Sean adored her and her four guardians - Drew, Wyatt, Sol, and Kieran. They were some of the best people he knew.

Little Reign with her long blonde hair and Ruby eyes laying on a stone pedestal in the palace's healing chamber flashed through his mind. The fever would have already set in, covering her body in an uncomfortable sweat. Her skin would be covered in cracks that were lit with internal fire and her pale snowy skin would be slowly turning into ash, if she was at the point Owen said she was.

Immediately Sean dashed over to Lullaby. He took her from Silas, holding her as he glared seriously down at Silas," Go eat. We're going to need both of you as fueled as possible for what's to come."
Silas nodded, taking his words seriously. North followed him into the kitchen where they both gorged themselves on food.

Sean turned to Owen," You need to mark her. Now."
Owen's eyes widened," Whatever for?"
Sean looked to Nathan as he said," If we're to prevent her death we're going to need all the help we can get. I need you both to mark her immediately. Kota and I might be joining you if she's bad off enough. They'll have to put us all in a stasis once this is over if we do, but it'll save her life."

Nathan crossed his arms," Wouldn't that be dangerous for her?"
Sean shook his head," Not in this case. It's going to take a lot to keep her from disintegrating. We can bear it while in a stasis until her magic levels out."

Victor walks up with the phone to his ear," Thank you for understanding." He hangs up and looks at Owen," I've gotten us temporarily pardoned from the Ashley Waters mission. Mimics will be sent in to stand in our place until we can return."

Owen nods at him," Perfect, go with Kota and start packing our bags. Gabriel will join you once he's packed Lullaby's things. We'll all meet at the Sky Palace." Victor nods and runs off with a intensely focused Kota to the garage.

Sean holds out Lullaby to Owen," Now, Owen."
Owen holds the tiny girl in his arms and nods," I'll take her to your room."
Sean nods back," We'll give you privacy."

Owen slowly walks towards Sean's bedroom, silver eyes never straying from the beautiful girl in his arms. He hadn't wanted to mark her this way. He'd wanted her to experience pleasure that she'd remember. He'd wanted her to be aware when he made his silent oath to her.
He wanted to coax her into drinking his blood so she'd feel the pleasure of exchanging lifeblood with her guardians.

That didn't turn out to be the case. Nevertheless, she needed him.

A chill went up his spine as her skin turned deathly cold, and it wasn't her temperature that chilled him. It was the fact that her body didn't feel alive anymore. Panic raced through his veins at that thought. His steps became quicker.

She could not die! He wouldn't permit it. She'd live if it was the last thing he did.

He gently laid her on the bed and leaned over her while pulling her head to the side to reveal her lovely neck. His tongue lazily trailed her carotid where he'd place his marking. He wanted his mark to be within reach at all times. His eyes fluttered shut and a shiver went through him as his fangs elongated from his canines.

His fangs lightly scraped her neck, a cringe goes through him when instead of her skin giving in to the pressure he applied, it caused a scraping sound. His fingers caress her body to assess just how bad the soul neglect has gotten.

Her body no longer gave off any heat. She was as cold and firm as a porcelain doll.

No. Not her. Anyone but her.
She can't die. He couldn't lose her too.

Quick as a snake striking, he plunged his fangs into her throat. She mewled and arched into his chest. Her tiny breasts brushing against his suit. He saw exactly what his brothers had mentioned.

The taste of her was more imagery than sensory: withering roses in the moonlight whose petals morosely fluttered away, a nebula wreaking havoc as it formed stars and planets out of mere dust and matter, gravity pulling all that neared her into her unbreakable orbit.

She was beautiful chaos lulling all under her spell, a sad soul who morosely longed for affection, starlight that pulled all into her glorious embrace.

Her inner soul greedily grasped at him, wanting him to itself. It was terrified he'd change his mind and disappear. He easily soothed it with delicate words of reassurance, keeping his tone calm and controlled. It tried to plead with the sad song his brothers had mentioned they'd heard, but he assured the unsure soul that he'd make all the sorrow and loneliness fade. He just merely needed time.

Tears fell from his stoic eyes as he pulled his fangs from her cracking flesh. Her lovely blood trickled from the wound on her neck that looked like a shattered mirror.

They just needed more time.

🦋

North let out a rumbling growl as his black feathered wings burst from his back. His fangs elongated until they tickled his bottom lip, eyes glimmering like the darkest night marred with vengeance.

The feathers flexed in the moonlight, glistening like ink.

Sean walked towards him, eyes narrowed with a seriousness not commonly found on the man. He placed their tiny soulmate in North's massive arms," Take care of her."

North sneered," Of course."

Sean, Owen, and Silas watched as North's wings expanded to their entire span. He crouched as his wings flexed to take off and shot into the sky like a bullet. North's eyes took in nothing but what was in front of him as he hoped the chilling night air didn't escalate his Soul's illness.

He held her even closer to his chest and flew even faster as that small concern warped into a panicked fear.

A light tear in the wind made North jerk his head to look beside him. He growled in annoyance as he saw his slightly older half brother on that damn contraption beside him. Luke rode on a Sky Sail - a one man air surfer. It was a contraption created by a brilliant Guardian centuries ago to allow grounded Guardians to take flight. The bottom was similar in appearance to a surfboard with a thin mast and sail in the center that the rider used to steer. Luke had been adamant he have one once North discovered his wings.

Luke smirked as his younger brother while clinging onto the ropes of the tiny white sail to hold the steering," Didn't think I'd let you go alone, did ya?"

"The fuck are you doing here Luke? Owen requested you travel with the others.", North bellowed over the wind.
Luke's smirk grew," Actually, he just ordered me to follow you."
North grunted in surprise. Luke's gaze became serious as he said," We can't take chances. He wanted as many as possible to escort her. She's too important to be lazy with."

North looked away and said nothing else. They had a point. He only wished they all could tail him now. If the elders had chosen the underwater academy, most could of easily kept up with Silas. There was a reason the Sky Palace was chosen though. It had the best healing facilities and The Academy doesn't play when it comes to Souls. Everything in their power will be done to save those Souls.

North and Luke soared the skies for two hours before the location became clear. The Sky Palace constantly moved with the winds and was never in the place it was before. They were fortunate it was so close.

The stormy clouds that held up the palace moved to let them pass. Stormy clouds were not a good omen. The balance was upset. Too many Souls had been compromised.

The palace in the clouds was still as magnificent as it has always remained - white stones created a towering castle that had a massive point before the towers that stood beside it, became smaller and smaller. The castle formed a circle where the courtyard stood, framed by ancient stone columns.

Lullaby shivered in his arms as North and Luke landed in the courtyard. They were not alone here. Hundreds of angry or distraught Guardians formed small groups while a single Guardian held a Soul in their arms. The girls were all in various stages of soul neglect. All but one was burning. This one girl, with short white hair and pale skin, was turning into solid glass.

A witch born.

Luke and North shared a worried look.

This did not bode well.

🦋

Sean glared at the Elder as she walked away after tending to his soulmate. The old woman had been completely disregarding of Lullaby's unique Soul Neglect, treating her with the same protocol the human Souls were treated with.

Thankfully he came prepared.

As Sean had Kota help him settle her in appropriately, his heart silently burned with terror. Seeing her on the stone bed was horrifying to witness. Although beautiful, this was a room no Guardian wanted to find themselves in unless they were expecting a child.

They were currently in the Healing Chamber that was just off the cathedral. It was an architectural masterpiece of ivory stone that towered into a point above them. The point was made of stained glass. The artwork was of the angel Michael, watching over the Souls healing below him.

There were a hundred stone bed pedestals made of black marble that sat in a circle around the center of the grand room. Every one of those beds was filled. It was a horrifying sight to behold - a hundred girls staring blankly above them, the beautiful colors of their eyes overtaken by darkness.

The girls were dressed in the attire the sickly wore - a two piece black toga. One piece wrapped around their breasts leaving their arms, stomach, and shoulders bare. The bottom piece covered the necessary parts but only draped to their knees, the waist high splits revealing their legs.

Lullaby looked far older and more mature in that attire and while she was beautiful in it, ethereal even, Sean found he disliked it on her. She liked pastel colors and creepy things like gooey eyeballs and zombie bunnies. It didn't suit her at all.

Kota placed the heating blanket under her and Sean sat her down on top of it. They placed another on top of her and tucked her in tightly.

"What do you think you're doing?", the Elder from before said as she strutted over with rapid steps. Sean and Kota stood tall at the foot of her bed while North and Luke stood behind them on either side of her. Luke, seeing that his brothers would handle it, climbed in with their mate and held her gently, not wanting to escalate her state. He pulled Macaron out of the bag on the floor behind him with his toes and placed it on her stomach.

Gently, like she'd shatter if he moved her too quickly, Luke placed her arms around her doll. He hoped it'd bring some comfort to her, that maybe if she was scared, the feeling of her doll in her arms would ease her fears.

The rest of his brothers were in the dining hall, trying to keep up their strength and health. If worse came to worst, they'd all need to be at their physical best to take the strain from her. Already, he could see the impact it was having on North - the sweat on his brow, the rippling muscles from strain, the way his breathes were coming out heavier and heavier - And that's with sharing the burden with three others.

Kota took charge of the situation, knowing his word as second in command would bear more weight here," Our Soul isn't like the others. She freezes instead of burns. We've been trying to tell you that."

The Elder actually stopped, her amethyst eyes softening. Her sultry elegant voice came out in a sweeter tone," I'm sorry boys. We're just so overwhelmed. We have one other with a different soul neglect here as well. Her guardians are tending to her unique needs. Is there anything you need for her?"

Sean nodded," Yes scalding hot water please."
She nods with a kind smile," I do hope she's okay."
Sean eyes her with concern," How are you holding up? You can't stay awake forever Daphne."
Elder Daphne sighed," I'm aware. My guardians are worried sick, but I don't think I'll be able to hold out much longer. I'm afraid, like the others before me, I'll succumb to this sickness as well."

Sean eyed her sadly," I wish I could be of some help. Try having your guardians hold a barrier around your mind while you rest. It might deter her magic."
Daphne nodded with a grateful smile," I'll do that. I'll be right back with your water. I'll have them get some slightly colder water for her to drink."

Sean turned away from her to see Luke holding Lullaby with a loose hold while North brushed her hair and laid the untangled pieces over her arms.

Lullaby's flesh was marred with blue cracks, the beginnings of the shattering that would follow. Her marks hadn't healed like they were suppose to. Sean could still see Owen's mark on her neck and Nathan's mark on her inner right wrist. The flesh they pierced was a horrific sight - her solidified skin a mess of fragments and dark blood.

A violent shiver overtook her even with all the heat they'd applied to her. Luke jolted up to look down at her, his worried eyes looking at North's. Sean took the scalding water from one of the Guardians who wasn't having to watch his Soul perish before his eyes just yet.

The Guardian watched as Sean soaked rags into the water with a wince and laid the fabric across her face. "We will sort this out young ones. The Devil Queen will not win this battle."

Luke bitterly mumbled under his breathe, as the Viking walked off," Easy for you to say."
North placed a comforting hand on Luke's shoulder," She's strong. She'll get through this."

Sean eyed them both," Go get those of us who've marked her. It's time for extraordinary measures. Her body temperature is getting too low."

🦋

Owen, Nathan, Silas, and North all kneeled around her bed, a hand on some part of her body. It was becoming a common sight in this chamber. The Souls who'd been under for almost twenty four hours had reached a horrific state. Little Reign being on the brink of disintegration. In the past twelve hours all but a fifth of the Soul population had fallen to the Devil Queen's spell. Daphne was barely standing she was so exhausted.

Lullaby whimpered in her fitful sleep and arched her back, the blue lines on her body finally cracking open. Her black eyes still stared unblinkingly at the ceiling. Two elders looked on with worry as did her unbound Guardians. Lullaby was turning out to be one of the worst off. Her body was still so weak. She just wasn't able to fight it off as well as she should've been able to.

The four bound Guardians focused all of their energy to her, trying to fight off the ice that was trying to consume their Soul. All were fighting off shivers and their breathes came out as hers did - in a fog that belonged in colder months.

Sean was nearly to the point of announcing that the next two in line were to mark her. Four just wasn't enough anymore.

Suddenly, a Soul nearby began to screech in agony. Everyone turned to see who has finally succumbed to the Soul Neglect. It was the girl with white hair that had been turning into glass. She grasped at her hair and arched her back as miserable screams left her lips. One of her Guardians held her to his chest as he cried into her hair, begging her not to go.

The glass quickly consumed her, silencing her forever, before she shattered into dust. Her Guardians wailed in agony, trying to grasp at the fine dust that she left behind as if they could somehow put her back together.

It shook every Guardian in the chamber to the core. This became so much more real in that moment. Luke and Gabriel looked to Sean in panic, breathes leaving their lips rapidly.

This was a nightmare.

Dr. Roberts rushed over to them, eyes fitful and wild," Come, quickly." He looked on to the overcrowded room and called out for all to hear," Any that can spare their presence from their Souls needs to adjourn in the Cathedral! We're under attack!"

🦋

Kota eyed the room full of Guardians and Elders. The Mentors and younger Souls had already been moved to a safer location, to the Atlantic Palace. The Souls who hadn't found their Guardians seemed to be safe from this curse and the elders intended to keep it that way until this was resolved.

The Guardians all appeared exhausted, either from healing their Souls or from staying awake for so long. Very few, like Lullaby's unbound Guardians, seemed fit for battle.

Luke and Victor flanked Kota, Sean and Gabriel flanked them. They all watched on with battle ready expressions. None could bare to stand idly anymore, just watching helplessly as their Soul perished before their eyes.

The room became absolutely silent as the Guardians who just lost their Soul walked in. Three looked lost, the other two looked angry. Kota eyed them with pity, unable to imagine how they must feel. Like they had been with Lullaby just a day prior, those men had been living their lives normally. They'd been unaware that all their plans and dreams with their Soul would be ripped away from them before the next day set.

Kota knew that those were dead men walking, everyone did. They may last a year. Eventually one of them would succumb to the loss and take his own life. As always, his brothers would follow.

Kota doubted they'd last the night though. There was a perfectly timed battle just awaiting them out these doors where they could sacrifice their life in the name of vengeance. That's why they showed up here instead of properly mourning their Soul.

He eyed the vials all wore on leather strings around their necks. The crystal clear vials all held what looked like diamond dust within them.

They'd join her soon enough.

Dr. Roberts stood at the front, on the stone stage that overlooked the Cathedral below. His usually happy eyes were sorrowful as he looked down at the a Guardians," As you all know, we've just lost one of our most precious treasures. It was an unnecessary loss of life that will result in five more deaths soon enough."

His eyes traveled across the solemn crowd," Usually we'd take a few moments of silence to mourn the poor girl who fell victim to the evils that await us outside our doors. Instead, I ask that you remember her as you fight. Remember her tragic end as you defend the other Souls that depend on us all just inside that Chamber. Aurora will always remain in our memories. Let's not allow another innocent to fall to the cruelties of this world."

The Guardians all stood tall and slammed their right fist to their hearts," With honor!"

Kota stood tall and fearless, his face just as determined and angry as his brothers beside him, with a fist placed over her heart.

Dr. Roberts voice grew louder and fiercer as he rallied the men to fight," If we don't act soon many more of our girls will fall before the night is over.
Reign.
Lullaby.
Eva.
Melody.
Willow.
Margerie.
Amaryllis.
These are the names of the Souls who are next to perish."

Gabriel flinched as Lullaby's name was mentioned with the others. It hit too close to home that she was one of the ones everyone worried about the most.

"All are sweet girls who are very precious to us. Our Amaryllis who's healed many of you here. Our sweet frail Reign, who bends earth more beautifully than I've ever witnessed before. Our darling Melody, who tells us our futures. Our lovely Eva, who dances with fire. Our brave Margerie, who can heal the horrors that haunt the mind. Our timid Willow, who can bend the air. And our newest addition, Lullaby, who has barely recovered from the ordeal her Guardians saved her from. You all know her tale. She lulls all manner of beasts with her angelic voice. All are uniquely beautiful creatures we do not want to see disappear from our lives."

The Guardians all stood taller, eyes ferocious. No one messed with any of their women. Especially the more frail ones. It was in their very bones to protect.

"We must stand our ground! We can not permit that demon to burn down our walls, to snatch away our women! Outside, she stands with her army of devils, once again trying to destroy us through our greatest weakness. For your Souls that need you in that chamber, I ask that you give your all to defend them. I ask that you uphold your vow of duty and honor!"

Dr. Roberts slams his own fist to his heart," To protect with honor!"
The Guardians fiercely call out," To protect with honor!"

"To fight for love and duty!", He calls back with just as much fierceness.
"To fight for love and duty!", The Guardians repeat.

"To defend the weak with grace!", he yells out, eyes glistening with anger.
"To defend the weak with grace!", The Guardians cry out louder.
"To uphold the balance, we fight!"
" custodes ita iusiurandum!", Dr. Roberts says alone.
(Latin: " Thus is the oath of the guardians!")

"In honorem!", The Guardians finish. ( Latin: With honor!)

Kota's eyes flashed dangerously as the bloodlust took his mind. He would defend his sweet Lullaby with his life. He'd make the devils at their doors pay.

🦋

A Guardian by the name of Felix, silently watched as the Blackbourne team argued over who'd stay with their Soul. His own sweet Amaryllis was only two pedestals down from the tiny girl.
Felix had volunteered to stay with her while his six brothers went to battle.

His poor darling was a sweaty mess. Her dark brown hair was sticking to her chest and arms, her once emerald eyes were blank orbs of darkness that saw nothing. The cracks in her skin were increasing in number and hot to the touch, fire roaring just beneath the surface. Her flawless tan skin was starting to darken into ash from the cracks that littered it.

Felix studied the girl as her Guardians bickered. Unlike the others who were sweating and drenched, she looked like a frozen corpse, a shattering doll. Frost coated her eyelashes and lips, her labored shallow breathe coming out in a fog. Her thigh length lavender hair was frozen in place like blown glass. A horrific crack traveled up her left cheek right before his eyes.

Many of the Guardians had been intrigued by the girl. She was the first in a long while that wasn't human born and her tale had been a woeful one. It wasn't a tale of sunshine and rainbows that most Souls have, it was one of shadows and horrors. All were ordered to treat her gently and to speak with care.

Above all else she was the Soul to the infamous Blackbournes - one of the most elite teams, known for being one of the teams that had gone the longest without their Soul. It was of course, the most popular subject amongst their people currently. They all speculated just what kind of Soul they'd been blessed with. The Blackbournes did not disappoint. She had to be the most peculiar Soul, Felix had ever seen. Her gifts being one of the rarest in their community to date.

It made perfect sense to Felix. The Blackbournes were fierce warriors, one of the elite teams at The Academy. It was completely precedented that they'd be given such a unique and quite possibly, powerful Soul. Once they've all marked her, their strength would be nearly unmatched in The Academy.

Felix looked back down to his poor Amaryllis while he tried his best to wipe away the sweat pouring from her brow. She was taller than most Souls, but had a elegance to her that was unmatched. He adored watching her walk. Just walk. Such a simple action she did daily, mesmerized him.

He thought about what his darling Amaryllis would do in this situation. She'd smack him good and demand he help them. With a smirk and sigh he stood after kissing her brow.

He walked towards the Blackbourne team," I'll watch over her."
They all instantly silenced and stared at him with suspicion. The dark one, North, glared at him ferociously," How do we know you'll watch her like you would your own?"

Felix gave them a knowing smile. It's always a hard thing to do - trust another with the care of your Soul.
"My Amaryllis is two pedestals down. She's also next in line to perish. I'll be right here the entire time. We can even have them move her beside us if you'd please. I don't mind."

Sean eyed him studiously," Why would you offer this? Your own Soul is very ill."
Felix nodded," She is. But every sword out there is a sword we need. Her chances of survival increase if your team is out there."

They all watched him carefully. It was silly really. Guardians put all Souls before anything else, but they were also understandably wary. Having a sick Soul will do that to the most controlled man.

Owen finally nodded," Very well. I'll permit it."
North's fists clenched at his sides as he glared menacingly at the red headed man, before storming off to the armory with Nathan at his heels. Of course, not before they kissed her forehead and whispered what could possibly be their last words to her.

Sean ordered Silas to carry Lullaby to the empty pedestal between the two girls. The girl that's been there before had been moved to where Aurora had once been.

Even Felix flinched when her skin cracked viscously when Silas picked her up. Felix watched on with pity as they remade her warm cocoon. The poor thing was really bad off.

The flamboyant Gabriel kissed her on the nose as he placed a stuffed unicorn on her chest.
"You'll be okay. I won't allow anything else to hurt you.", he whispered to her as he rested his forehead against her own. Silas took his spot as Gabriel moved away from her.

Felix watched as Gabriel looked almost miserable as Silas wrapped the tiny girl's arms around the stuffed animal and tucked her under about a dozen more blankets with Kota's help. Gabriel turned to Felix, eyes intensely serious," She loves that doll. Make sure she always has it."

Felix nodded with a sad smile," Of course."

Victor jumped into the conversation in that leisurely way of his," And she hates the cold so try to keep her as warm as possible. We've got numerous blankets and clothes in her bag to help."
Sean crossed his arms and stared him down," It's been a challenge to hydrate her. Spoon hot water into her mouth a little at a time. She has an easier time getting it down if it's hot."
Owen started taking off his suit jacket and tie," Refrain from speaking to her too sharply. Her feelings get hurt very easily."

Felix didn't dare remind them that it was unlikely she'd wake up while they were away.
Kota nodded," Yes, and if she starts tossing about or getting restless, we find singing to her helps."
Gabriel glared at him sharply and bites out," Nothing loud or obnoxious. Keep your shitty voice down."
Luke added," She seems to like Elvis the most."
Silas snorted with a playful grin," Only because that's all Gabe sings to her."

The boys all chuckled lightly at that. Silas smiled up at Felix, no hostility in his eyes," Sometimes I tell her jokes when she starts to hurt....I think it helps." He stared down at her sadly as his words trail off.

Felix gave them an encouraging smile and nodded," I'll try my best to maintain your care for her."

One by one, they all kissed her forehead and whispered words of encouragement, a few whispered goodbyes. Some seemed incredibly hopeful, others seemed resigned to their fate. It was the same with his team. Felix himself had resigned himself to saying goodbye. The future looked bleak for his Soul and he didn't want to waste precious moments with her on false hope.

Best spend those moments immortalizing her memory before he joins her in death.

A man with waist length blonde hair and golden eyes came over with little Reign in his arms. Sean stood up from Lullaby's side to face him," Sol?"
Sol nodded," Good to see you again old friend."

Sean gave him a soft smile," Yes it is." Sean eyed the tiny blonde in Sol's arms sadly," Would you like to set her in Lullaby's old pedestal?"
Sol nodded, his ancient stoic voice echoing in the chamber," Yes. These three are some of the frailer ones. I believe they might find strength in each other's company."
Kota gave him a kind smile," It's worth a shot."

Felix offered Sol the same deal he offered the Blackbournes," I can watch over her if you like. You're one of our greatest warriors. They need you on the battlefield."
Sol eyed his Soul sadly before nodding once," Yes. That is best. Thank you friend."

Felix gave him a sad smile," It's my pleasure."

Felix watched them solemnly as they all said their farewells and left the chamber. If they failed, All was lost.

Lullaby gasped in pain as her facial lacerations shattered outward and trickled frosty navy blood. Felix rushed over to her and turned the heating blankets as high as they would go. He barked out over his shoulder," I need boiling water by the cauldron. Keep it coming!"

He looked back down at the doll like girl and pet her hair," I got ya little one. We'll get through this. We'll all get through this. In this life or the next."

🦋

Surrounding the moonlit palace was a field littered with devils. The Guardians stood up high on the cliff above, all dressed in their black armor. The armor was designed to give Guardians the upmost protection while remaining light weighted and granting high mobility amongst stealth.

Their armor forewent helmets as that impaired their sight and perception. Guardians relied greatly on their senses.

On the edge of The Sky Palace's terrain, on the opposing cliff that fell off to the world below, stood The Devil Queen.
She was as old as time, yet as beautiful as any young maiden. For as long as the Guardians could remember, she's always existed.
Her sole purpose has always been to destroy them, always through their most precious treasures. Where she came from and why that's her sole purpose, has always evaded the Guardians.

The Devil Queen has long silky black hair that fell to her ankles, eyes like blood, fangs and viscous  Black talons inches long. Her milky white skin covered her six foot willowy frame. Black horns shoot up from her skull in slight twists. As always, she wears a black toga that flutters over her skin sensually.

On the battlefield below stands her Devil army. A foe every Guardian present is familiar with.

Eight foot giants covered in brown tight flesh stood in formation below them. Red eyes unblinking over their deformed snouts that bare a mouthful of sharp teeth. They stand on their hind legs, backs hunched like apes as their overly extended arms dangle in front of them. Horrific claws protrude from their disjointed hands. Horns protrude just above their pointed ears.

These are the devils called forth from the fiery pits of hell - The Devil Queen's domain.

In the front lines, stands most of the Blackbourne team, all dressed in their black armor, two ebony swords held a piece. Victor and Gabe stand with the other archers at the higher grounds above the Guardian army. Sean stands by with the other healers, ready to drag the injured off the battleground at a moment's notice. Luke hid amongst the trees, ready to use stealth to his advantage with the other special forces. Their uniform only had one distinct difference - a black mask that covered their nose and mouth.

The Devil Queen raised a single taloned hand and pointed at the Guardian army with a malicious smirk, eyes mad with power. Unanimously the black armored army slammed their right fist over their hearts and called out," In honorem!"( For honor!)

The devils raised their snouts to the moon and howled hauntingly.

It begins.

🦋

North charged at a Devil as he flew over the masses. Nathan spun around just in time to block his claws slicing into his spine. North roared as he swung his right sword across the devil's neck, decapitating it.

Nathan called out to him," There's too fucking many of them!"

North hovered above the armies, black eyes glaring at the battle before him. Nearly twenty other Guardians flew above the armies with their own wings, trying to slash down the devils that got too close to their brothers.

This was an unfair battle. Nearly every Guardian here was weak with exhaustion. Most having had to use their strength to aid their Souls. North's eyes quickly went to the left side of the battlefield where the special ops team was being cornered. His sensitive ears picked up on the sounds of his mischievous brother's grunts. The devils slashed at two of them, bringing them to their knees.

Fueled by panic, North flew as quickly as his wings would take him towards his brother. Luke's face was uncharacteristically twisted into a snarl as he slashed his sword through a devil's heart. Luke turned around quickly to aid his fallen comrade. He threw his arm over his shoulders and dragged him towards Sean who was already waiting for him on the sidelines.

Sean unsheathed his own sword and cut down a devil that was running right at him. The Devil, like all that perished, immediately vanished into ash, blowing away with the wind.

North flew over Luke, cutting down any who neared his brother. He overheard Luke yelling to Sean," Have we lost anyone?"
Sean shook his head as he looked over the injured Guardian," We have many injured, but all are strong and I have total faith they'll all pull through."

North swooped down to pick up the other Guardian that had fallen in the ambush before the two stray devils reached him and finished the job. Every man out here was a Soul's Guardian. Any that fell, guaranteed the death of their Soul.

North dropped him beside his comrade," This isn't looking good."
Sean nods solemnly," This battle may be the last."
Luke huffed in annoyance as he twirled his twin blades on his pointer fingers," Stop being so pessimistic guys. We've battled them before. Probably will end in a tie as always."

North snarled at his carefree brother," Don't let your guard down you damn fool!"
Luke merely winked at him before disappearing into the shadows at a sprint.

Sean shook his head with an exasperated smirk as he tended to the fallen warriors. North watched over him while keeping eyes on the fight. He occasionally left Sean to fend for himself while he aided another guardian before returning back to his side.

Just when Sean stabilized the two men enough for travel, North caught movement from the Devil Queen at the far side of his peripheral vision. He watched her as she whispered demonic incantations to the wind.

No one knew just how she controlled these beasts, but whatever spells she cast on them are unbreakable. Many sorcerer guardians and souls have tried.

Suddenly, all devils stopped. Many Guardians took advantage of this and cut them down. The remaining devils opened their jaws until they fell slack, a dark fog erupted from their mouths, engulfing all in the putrid smoke.

The Guardians all collapsed to their knees in pain as the foul poison seeped into their pores, blackening their veins.

North collapsed to his knees as Sean fell to his side, both clutching at their throats as all Guardians did around them.

Gabriel and Victor watched in horror as the smoke billowed upwards towards them. Determined to take down as many devils as they could, they shot arrow after arrow at the devils until it was too hard to see who was man and who was demon.

Both crossed their arms over their face and stepped backwards as the putrid smoke washed over them.

This was the end, all Guardians thought.
We've finally failed.

🦋

Felix left Lullaby's side to check on Reign. Out of the three she was the worst off. He feared that if they returned victorious, it'd be too late for the girl. His Amaryllis was undoubtably a fighter. Her condition would wane and improve before worsening again.

Lullaby seemed to be trying to fight herself. Her mind was strong, but her body wasn't cooperating. It was the absolute worst time for the girl to have to go through something like this. She was still mending from her woeful past.

Felix had pushed two of the pedestals together not long after the girls' guardians left and placed Amaryllis and Reign on either side of Lullaby. That seemed to have helped all three tremendously. Lullaby cooled off Amaryllis and Reign, while the two girls warmed Lullaby.

Felix tilted Reign's head up as he spoon fed her ice water. All three were to the point where getting fluids in them was becoming near impossible. Reign choked and sputtered on the water, her throat too blistered to swallow.

Felix sighed heavily. Reign's time was near. It was becoming inevitable. Daphne placed a gentle hand on his shoulder," You've done all you can. All we can do now is pray that they succeed before it is too late."

Felix, along with the other Guardians that had stayed behind to watch over the girls, jumped to their feet and unsheathed their swords as the doors to the chamber burst open. Near fifty devils drooled as they stormed into the room. They panted with desire at the gold mine of Souls they found to feast on.

Half jumped onto the walls and dug their claws in as they crawled them, surrounding their prey from above. The rest stood in front of the only way out, thick saliva dribbling from between their sharp teeth.

Felix glared at them, both of his swords at the ready as he stood between the devils and the girls left in his charge. He'd die before those filthy mutts laid a finger on those girls.

Felix braced himself, eyes squeezing shut as the devils on the ceiling all jumped at them at once.  This was it. That damned wretched woman finally won.
Good didn't always prevail over evil.

🦋

In the darkness, the Souls were all stuck. They sunk deeper into the relentless black slime, that wouldn't let them go. It latched onto their limbs as the girls desperately fought to pull themselves free. It slowly sludged up their flesh, trying with all its might to smother their crying mouths. Grey lightning lit up the black clouds above, revealing the sinister tar ocean the girls were slowly drowning in.

All there was, was the darkness and the wails of Souls crying out for their Guardians.

I stopped fighting it a long time ago. I was almost sure it'd forgotten I was even there. Two girls, copied me from either side, all of us praying silently to make it back to our men.

It's been Reign's idea to stop fighting it. The girl with light blonde hair as long as mine and ruby red eyes was quickly becoming one of my favorite people. She was brave and calm, even as she silently cried with a smile. She never stopped smiling, always having faith in her Guardians.

Amaryllis was far taller and bigger than us and had a fierce fight in her. Her emerald eyes glared angrily above her, while she was determined not to die. Her dark brown hair that fell to her ribs was nearly unseeable in the tar, unlike the other two girls whose hair was lighter in color.

Amaryllis' laughed bitterly. "Damn it. Treyson and I had a fight before this all happened. Please, please, let me live.", she pleaded quietly. "I have to say I'm sorry.", she said tearily.

Reign's eyes teared up as well," I want Sol. He always keeps me safe."

I didn't know what to tell the girls. I myself was scared and terrified I'd never see my nine guardians again. Already, one girl was engulfed in the tar. Her screams and pleading cries abruptly silenced.

I had cried for many hours, begging the skies to send my guardians to help me. But I eventually grew exhausted. My screams grew hoarse, my limbs became sore. All fight had left me. Now I just watched the eerie nightmare play out like it was just that - a nightmare I'd eventually awake from.

I was grateful for the company of the two girls beside me. They helped distract me from the panic that would randomly hit.

On a rare occasion their voices would travel through the gloom to my ears.
"Take care of her."
"She likes Elvis."
"Oh sweetie, please wake up."
"You'll be okay. I won't allow anything else to hurt you."
"Baby. Please be okay..."
"Hey Agelle? I have to confess something. I used to be addicted to hokey pokey, but I turned myself around."

Luke's echoing laugh followed," Hey, I think those actually work! Look she's smiling!"

I always giggled at Silas' jokes. They made the dreariness here seem a little brighter. But I hadn't heard any of them in a long while.

For a long time we were drifting in the sea of tar that was trying to pull us into its depths. When one of us would give up, the others would encourage them to keep fighting. So far the teamwork has kept another girl from being engulfed by the tar, but as for how long that'd last, none of us knew.

I shivered for the first time in hours. I haven't felt anything in a long time. None of us had. Slowly, but surely, the tar was sucking the fight right out of us.

"Lullaby?", Amaryllis asked with concern. She was a very motherly soul, immediately making it her duty to make sure Reign and I were still fighting and alive.

I didn't answer, too enraptured with all the sensations I'd long since lost. It was like the first breathe of air I'd get after mother took the lattice bars off the tub she'd drown me in.

I felt a painful slash against my abdomen. My lips parted in a silent scream as my back arched.
"Lullaby!", both girls called out.

The tar awakened, sticking to my flesh once more and trying to creep its way across my skin to my nose. It wanted us to all die.

My eyes glowed furiously as the echoed pain of my guardians lashed out against my skin. Anger surged through my veins, fingers twitching, eager to lash out at something.

Pants left my lips, my head began to hurt. A snarl left my lips as Luke cried out. He looked around unable to see through a black fog the vile devils vomited from their throats. Luke was crawling away, trying to hide from the devil as it ascended on him. North and Sean called out to him, but try as they might they couldn't find him.

My fangs glistened violently at the nightmarish sky in warning.
The Devil Queen cackled as she watched the chaos she weaved below.

They're mine!, I snarled at her.

"Lullaby! Oh my god Amaryllis! What's wrong with her?", Reign cried out.

The Devil Queen's incantations quieted as she sneered in front of her. Those that could see her from the battlefield watched her perplexed. She looked livid.

The ocean of tar churned, black waves rose to the skies, ready to wipe them all out in a single sweep.  The Queen's sinister rasp echoed from the thundering skies," Try again little star."

A man with red hair stood before three Souls with his swords at the ready. His eyes squeezed shut as he awaited the horde of devils to descend upon him from the ceilings above.

I screamed in anger. White hot pain seared across my body. My skull felt like it was crumbling beneath my grasping fingers. My nails sharpened into claws that dug into my own flesh.

The red headed man opened his eyes and turned around to face the tiny girl that rested between two others. She was screaming shrilly, the stained glass above shattering above. Swiftly he threw his body over theirs to shield them from the onslaught of glass raining down on them.

They're mine!

The tar froze solid all at once and the girls could finally move once again.

Then the tar and the living nightmare all crumbled into oblivion.

🦋

Felix finally looked up once the glass settled on the ground around them. His back was covered in lacerations, but he succeeded in protecting them. He looked down at the girls to make sure they were alright and gasped.

Amaryllis was groaning in pain, as was Reign, their eyes fluttering open. Joyous tears fell from his eyes as his kissed his Soul desperately on the lips. Amaryllis gave him a weak smile as she croaked out," Felix. Oh, Felix!"

All around them came noises of displeasure, whimpers of pain, and groans of discomfort as every Soul awakened all at once. They were weak, fatigued, and injured. But they were alright.

The Guardians foolishly forgot the Devils at their doorsteps and rushed to assure the Souls that were theirs. Then they assured the ones nearby that didn't have a Guardian awaiting them. Tears fell from nearly every face.

Felix quickly lost his smile though as his eyes landed on little Lullaby. His eyes widened in horror as he rushed to kneel over her and listen to her heart.
Were we too late?, he thought.

Her heartbeat assured him that she was in fact still alive. It was too slow though, like it was pushing tar through her veins. He got off of her to call for help, while his still weak Soul tried crawling to her. Amaryllis had the gift of healing. She hoped with every fiber of her being that she could help her new friend.

Just as Amaryllis' fingers were about to touch her, Lullaby's glowing eyes shot open. Churning cosmic storms of fuchsia, orange, midnight blue, and purple looked up at Amaryllis.

Her lips parted in a hiss as her fangs slightly grew. Not as much as a Guardian's but definitely larger than typical. Her back arched as her black clawed nails dig into her hair. Amaryllis along with everyone watch with half fascination, half horror as black horns grew from her hair. They curled under like a rams.

She sat up in a jolt with a snarl, legs bent and claws out, ready to attack the nearest adversary.
It was at this point everyone remembered the fifty devils in the room slowly making their way towards them.

Lullaby snarled at one and leaped at it, looking every bit the part of a savage beast. Her fangs were barred in a sneer, her black claws reaching out for the Devil, her feet bare with black nails, and her black garment flowed behind her beautifully.

"Mine!", she snarled as she plunged her hand through its chest. When she jumped back she ripped its heart out. She landed back on her pedestal, standing tall and mighty with her feet shoulder width apart. All watched in horror as she bit into the large black heart as the devil collapsed to its knees.

She tugged at the flesh with her fangs, ripping a chunk into her mouth, staining her teeth and lips with black blood and ash as the organ disintegrated in her hand. She chewed and swallowed the tainted organ before everyone's eyes.

They'd never seen such madness from a Soul before.

Lullaby seemed undeterred by the cracks forming on her skin as she moved, undeterred by her odd blood trickling down her her body as it melted.

The Guardians quickly jumped in to aid her. It didn't settle well with them to let a Soul battle even if this Soul in particular seemed to be able to handle herself.

All watched on. Souls were awed and horrified to see one of their own fight so ruthlessly. Guardians in horror of the dangers she presented to herself.
Before anyone could get their hands on her to calm her down, she vanished, leaving them to deal with the remaining devils as she ran off to accomplish her madness.

🦋

Sean coughed as the black smoke flooded his veins. He held his hand up to see the usually invisible veins in his hand tar black. He tried to crawl away even as the darkness tried to overcome his mind. North was calling out for Luke at the top of his lungs.

Luke didn't answer.

The battlefield was entirely silent except for the bellows of North. The devils stood idly, their red eyes and deformed heads all that could be seen over the black fog.

Sean panted as he crawled towards the men he'd been seeing to, hoping he could find them.
"Luke! LUKE! LUKE!!!", North screamed at the top of his lungs.

All remained silent.

Until it no longer remained silent.

(Play Song. May have to listen to it twice. )

An angel's voice echoed in the darkness, stirring the devilish beast immediately. The Devil Queen glared menacingly at something in the midst of the battlefield. The devils screeched and grabbed at their ears. Their closing mouths ending the onslaught of black fog.

Little by little the fog cleared until Sean's heart stopped in is chest. First in relief - she was okay.
Second in disbelief and horror and awe.

His darling little pookie walked straight through the middle of the horde of monsters. Her steps even and measured as her bare feet gracefully and surely stepped in blood and ash. Her eyes were alight with her magic, her fangs bared in a snarl, black ram horns curled on top of head, and her black claws that were much shorter than the Queen's, were unsheathed and ready to tear into any who crossed.

Holy fuck.

🦋

Silas watched her, shocked, as she walked past him, the fog entirely gone now. The stars glittered above her - a purity gracing the tainted lands in the sky. She looked so beautiful, so deadly, as the winds tossed her lilac hair and black toga behind her.

Her glowing eyes never left the Queen's. They were full of hate and bloodlust as she stared at the Queen who appeared thrilled by something. The Queen murmured an incantation under breathe and the beasts stirred to life.

The Guardians all scurried to their feet to defend themselves. Dr. Roberts bellowed to Owen and Silas who stood nearest to Lullaby," Get her out of here! Souls don't belong on the battlefield!"

Neither moved. Both were too shocked and entranced that the fierce woman driven by some beastly madness before them, was the same Lullaby who cried if she took a bath by herself and needed to snuggle with a toy unicorn to feel safe.

A devil launched himself at her specifically while the two women locked eyes.

Silas and Owen moved to save her. Sean gasped in a panic. North flew at insane speeds to try to reach her in time. Kota screamed. He knows he did, but the cry drowned out in the sounds of war.

Luke could only look on in terror from his hiding place in a tree with his hand pressed firmly to his wound. Gabriel and Victor both stepped to the edge of the cliff and screamed out her name. Nathan's blades fell from his hands in almost slow motion as he watched something terrifying he couldn't stop.

Lullaby grabbed it by the horns and ripped its head cleaned off, never taking her eyes from her target. She let the huge devil's head dangle in her right hand by a curved horn. She stopped walking, eyes still locked on the Queen's, as she brought her left hand to her lips. Her tongue snaked out of her mouth to lick the tainted black blood from her middle finger.

Another Devil came at her. She swung the head of the beast she decapitated across her body, before swinging it back across to stab the oncoming devil in the throat with the horn of the devil's head in her hand. Her body stayed put, only her arm moving the entire time.

Black blood sprayed over her pale moonlight skin, the ash of the deceased sticking to her like some macabre makeup.

She snarled at the Queen," They're mine!"

Lullaby began to sing again, her haunting tune coming out powerfully. She raised her right hand as a thousand tiny orbs of neon multicolored lights flickered on, lighting up the desolate battlefield in a beautifully eerie way as they churned in a slow turning cyclone above her. They hovered above the gore ridden land before zooming off in all directions just as her song picked up, in the form of butterflies.

They collided with the blood soaked earth, exploding the dirt and ash into the air. Lycorns appeared in their stead, their gleaming white teeth snarling at the devils around them before howling their battlecries to the skies.

The lycorns shot out and leaped at the morbid creatures, tearing into their flesh with their razor sharp teeth and claws.

Lullaby watched on, singing her song to keep her magic in place. The Queen grinned at Lullaby.
All around the two women, beasts fought beside man to tear down the devil menace.

Even as she lost the Queen seemed pleased.

Nathan sliced through the devils as he made his way to Lullaby. One grabbed him by the head and flung him brutally into the ground. Nathan swiftly twisted around, swords at the ready, as the devil leaped at him through the air.

The Devil never reached him.

A Lycorn, as large as the devil, struck it from the side, teeth ripping out its throat. Nathan watched, wide eyed, as the horned wolf ripped the monster to shreds before being sliced in half by another's claws. The lycorns howled in agony to the stars as it vanished into blue and purple stardust that floated away with the ash raining down nonstop now.

Nathan just sat there on the ground, unable to move.

Silas bulldozed down four devils in a series of quick stepped blows. Lullaby was literally only a few paces away from him. He had to get her out of here. Something was seriously wrong. Anyone who drank tainted blood would be deathly sick and she just licked it like it was candy.

He'd never seen a Soul behave this way before. All had always been docile and wouldn't hurt a fly, but Lullaby seemed to be breaking every rule on Souls, ever. He was terrified something had happened to her. That while she was in the stasis, her mind had been poisoned by that evil witch.

They battlefield grew quiet as all the devils were defeated rapidly and turned to ash. Lullaby let out one last enchanting note as the Queen vanished with the wind.

Silas ran to catch her as Lullaby's knees gave out, her eyes rolled back, and her body fell towards the bloodstained earth. He caught her in the nick of time, holding her to his chest as happy tears fell from his eyes.

She was safe.

She was alive.

Lullaby's eyes cracked open. Silas gave her a teary grin. She stared up at him with those glorious starry eyes and whispered sweetly," Teddy Bear."

North slid to his knees beside them and laced his fingers into her hair. His black eyes stared at her horns, slightly amused by them. He kinda thought they were adorable.

The Guardians surrounded them in a circle as, one by one, Lullaby's Guardians shoved through and surrounded her. Kota let out a shocked laugh as she dozed off while he held her precious head in his hands and kissed her forehead.

Gabriel, in his typical way, tugged at his hair and screeched," The fuck just happened!"

(A/n: this was both hard and fun to write. Did you guys enjoy it? Honestly?

What do you think about Lullaby's darker side?(you all don't even know. This is badass psycho, not OMG hide me psycho....which she's more prone to)

fun fact: some of the names and guardians you've met this chapter are my original characters that'll be Lullaby's actual Guardians in the original book. Not all of them, but a few. )

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7M 255K 52
Lila had a family. And for a while they were happy. Then on her eighteenth birthday, her Parents, brother, and his mate died in a tragic car accident...
267K 16.8K 47
I'm not a normal girl. I've known this since I was five years old and got my first gift. I have no idea where it came from, who I am, but it's someth...
11.1K 784 6
C.L. Stone Fanfiction of the Ghost Bird series. ~.~.~.~ Summer Break is just starting after they survived a whole year at Ashley Waters. Then, the bo...
75K 6.3K 104
They all thought I'd abandoned them. I'd turned my back on the only people who truly cared for me to protect them, and they never knew.... Without a...