What You're Not | ✔

Galing kay keahlovee

[Now free to read!!] When she moves to a new town, all Loren wants is a fresh start. But things get complicat... Higit pa

✨ ANNOUNCEMENT ✨
01. The Walls
02. Party Crashers
03. Pure Ego
04. Fashion Club
05. Study Buddy
06. Miss Attitude
07. This Is Weird
08. Sweaty Palms
9. Starless Night
10. Drugstore Proposal
11. The Guidelines
12. Just Friends
13. Thirteen Again
14. Regret Hangover
15. Destiny's Plan
16. PB&J
17. Locked In
18. Jealous
19. Flash Flood
20. Coming Clean
21. Caffeinated Apologies
22. Fear Of Feelings
23. Choices
24. In Between
25. Insecure
27. Rivals
28. Buried At The Bottom
29. Different
30. The B Word
31. A Second Chance
32. Third Times A Charm
33. Soft Spots
34. Paper Cuts
35. The Fall Festival
36. The Truth
37. Playing House
38. Family Dinner
39. Murky Water
40. Sleep Over (1)
41. Sleep Over (2)
42. Rule Breaker
43. Worth It
44. Masquerade (1)
45. Masquerade (2)
46. Numb
47. Hope
48. Fight For It
49. Protective, Possessive
50. Collide
Epilogue
*BONUS* 29. Different (miles's pov)

26. The Maze

34.5K 1.4K 115
Galing kay keahlovee

The impact of crashing into the mysterious person knocked the wind out of me. In the dim light of the hallway I could make out Miles's grinning face easily. Did he hear what Vivian said only seconds ago?

"Did I scare you?" He smirked. I relaxed, realizing my secret was safe for at least a little while longer.

"Yes, you have to stop that," I said, biting back my own smile.

Fully aware of the lack of distance between us, I took a step back. His hands tensed around my waist, only for a moment before dropping to his sides. Or maybe I imagined it.

"Come on, I want to show you something." He held his hand out for me to take.

Without hesitation, I took it. He led me back into the office. It was getting harder and harder to suppress my feelings for Miles. He had this... thing about him. Like a moth to a flame, I was drawn to him.

Maybe it was the way he floated through life, despite the heavy stuff that was obviously going on in his life.

Maybe it was that, like me, he held onto secrets. Secrets that he buried under a well-placed smile or a joke.

Whatever it was, it had me hooked.

He lead me through a set of glass double doors on the far side of the office, leading out to the backyard.

"Where exactly are we going?" I wondered.

It was unusually warm for a November night, which I was grateful for. As cute as my dress was, it wasn't meant to keep me warm. Not everyone ran hot blooded like Miles. 

"It's a surprise," he replied, shooting me a playful grin over his shoulder.

The Hernandez's backyard wasn't as large as the front, but it did house a pool, hot tub, a sitting area and what looked like a garden maze.

The maze is where Miles headed towards and followed close behind.

Upon entering the maze of tall hedges, there were two paths to choose from. Miles didn't seem to be sure which way to go. I was starting to doubt that he was sober enough to get us through it.

"This way," he announced after a few beats. He pulled be along as he lead me down the path on the left.

My heart was practically leaping out of my chest as I ran to keep up with him. Maybe it was the adrenaline of running around a maze at night or maybe it was the idea of being alone with Miles. Either way I didn't want it to end.

However, our sprint through the hedges did come to an abrupt stop when we got to a dead end.

"This isn't supposed to be here." Miles scratched the back of his head, turning to me with a sheepish smile.

"We're not going to die in here are we?" I half joked.

"I've been in here a million times," he defended. "I know my way around."

He didn't look as confident as he sounded. Still, I trusted him.

As he assessed the various paths, I couldn't help but notice the way his thumb absentmindedly stroked the back of my hand. The small movement had a big effect on my breathing.

I was so focused on our hands that I almost missed the fact that he had started walking again.

After three more dead ends and circling back to the entrance twice, we made it to the center of the maze. It looked like something you'd find in a fairy tale book.

There was a glass gazebo in the middle, large enough to fit in a couple regal style chairs, a coffee table and chaise lounge.

"Wow," I exhaled, taking in my surroundings.

Aside from the gazebo, there were stone benches lining the hedges, with red rose bushes on either side of each bench. The blue tint that the moon gave off made everything look even more beautiful.

"I used to come here all the time when I was younger," Miles spoke and I looked up at him. His eyes were trained on the gazebo. "Even when the Hernandez's were out of town."

I snorted a laugh. "Criminal."

"What? I was ten and I thought this place was a magic," he defended himself, nudging me with his elbow. "I slayed a lot of dragons out here."

My smile grew at the child like glint in his eyes. "Of course you did, Sir Knight Miles."

He shoot a look my way. "It was Prince Miles, actually."

"Ah," I nodded, glancing down at our hands which were still intertwined. Had he forgotten? "And let me guess, Vivian was the princess you needed to save?"

"No, Cameron was usually the one who played dragon bait," he told me. "Viv was never the damsel in distress. We slayed dragon ass together."

He talked about Vivian with the same admiration he had while talking about Rose. It made me wonder what happened between them.

I had a rule about asking personal questions. They lead to deeper conversation that caused me to evaluate my own feelings. The thought of that made my skin crawl.

It was different with Miles. I wasn't satisfied with just a taste, I wanted the whole thing. I wanted to know every part of him. Even if that meant spilling some of my own dirt in the process.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Nope." His reply took me by surprise, even more so when he let go of my hand. Then he flashed that signature smile of his my way and I rolled my eyes. Of course he had to be an ass about it.

He hopped up on one of the stone benches, balanced himself on the back part. His arms were stretched out on either side to steady himself.

"You're going to kill yourself," I observed as he fought to keep his balance.

"That wasn't a question."

He walked to the other side without stumbling, then he turned to make the trip back. I was both amused and nervous as I watched him.

"What's your question?" he asked, starting his way back across.

"Well, Riley mentioned that you and Vivian started acting weird after summer ended. What happened?"

Miles stepped down to the seat part of the bench and sat on the back, a grin on face. "You've been asking people about me, Mermaid?"

"No." He arched an eyebrow, seeing right through my lie. "Maybe." I admitted, stepping up on the bench and taking a seat next to him.

"Why do you want to know?" he asked, wetting his lips.

I averted my gaze from his mouth to the lace trimming on my dress, picking at nonexistent lent. "Just curious."

He turned to me. Our knees touched, and chill rushed up my spin. "Is that the only reason?"

The feelings I'd been trying to keep down threatened to come to the surface, exposing me. I wasn't ready for that. I wasn't ready to be that vulnerable with someone.

I shrugged, looking over at him. "What other reason could there be?" I retorted, trying to play it cool as my heart slammed away in my chest.

The bench wobbled a bit as he shifted, moving even closer. The pounding in my chest was silenced as his fingertips brushed against my cheek. His hand circled around my neck, pulling me in to him. Close enough to see his freckles, far enough to leave the next step up to me.

"I can think of another reason." His gaze locked on mine, questioning, waiting for me to make the next move.

What if I stepped out on that ledge only to have it crumble beneath me? I didn't think I could survive that.

I shot up to my feet, leaving Miles with a confused look on his face. "I think we should head back to the party," I suggested, stepping off the bench. "Victoria could be looking for me. For our meeting."

He said nothing, simply flashing me half a smile as he rose from the bench. It was a silent as we made our way back out of the maze. I trailed behind him, feeling like a complete idiot.

What if he thought I wasn't interested? That I didn't want to kiss him? What if I just pushed him back into the arms of Vivian, who wasn't afraid to be with him?

It was easier getting out of the maze than it was getting in. When we made it back to the game room, Georgia was there looking for me.

I turned to Miles and he reached for my hand, giving it a quick squeeze. "Good luck."

Georgia lead me into the sitting room where I first saw Victoria. She was seated on the couch with a black woman in her early thirties, I immediately recognized as Shanelle Walker.

She was a fashion designer that Beauteen recently did a editorial on. She designed some of the most gorgeous gowns and was even lucky enough to help design ball gowns for a popular tv show about princesses.

"Loren," Victoria greeted as I sat down on the couch opposite of them. "I thought you ran out on me again." She then turned to Shanelle and mock whispered, "She's a bit slippery, this one."

They laughed and I forced myself to join in. My nerves seemed to still be buzzing from that moment with Miles.

"I don't know about slippery, Vic," Shanelle said, eyeing me cautiously. "I need someone dedicated for this project I'm working on." To me she said," Vic, tells me you're a talented designer with a unique eye for patterns. But talent only gets you so far in this business, you must be ready to put in the work. Twenty-four-seven. No backing down at the first sign of doubt. Are you capable of that?"

I glanced down at my hand. Miles's touch still lingered there. If I couldn't even handle the idea of kissing a boy, was I really ready for my first taste of the fashion industry?

At that moment I didn't feel like I was capable of anything other than running. It was my specialty. 

That's why the first thing to come out of my mouth was an apology. Multiple apologies. Followed by some lame excuse about having my hands full with school work and college apps as I rushed out of the room.

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

114K 3.9K 48
Parker Graham is totally content to be living his normal life. He has everything a teenage boy could dream of: rich parents, a nice car, crazy athlet...
82.7K 3K 26
"Ashton, I know I'm not the usual type of pretty cheerleader you usually hang out with. I'm not sexy, I'm not attractive, and I'm absolutely no fun...
237 16 14
Riley West - The new girl in town. Shy at first, but loud when you get to know her. Kinda outspoken. Family problems. Jaxon Brooks - Been there since...
82.4K 4.1K 26
"You know for someone with your name, you're reputation with love is something else," "That's because none of them were you, now come back and let m...