Fighting the Odds: The Lionhe...

By Vega8282

Ara was given the duty of protecting the Bearer of the One Ring, along with the rest of the Fellowship of the... More

Fighting the Odds (A Lord of the Rings Fanfiction)
Book 1: Gathering
Book 1: A Hidden Past
Book 1: Change of Plans
Book 1: Whispering Winds
Book 1: Into the Depths
Book 1: The Tomb
Book 1: Of Fire and Shadow
Book 1: Lothlórien
Book 1: Past, Present and Future
Author's Note (Important!)
Author's Notes and Thank You's
Book 2: The White Wizard
Book 2: Reunited
Book 2: The Rat
Book 2: Hall of Memories

Book 1: Choice

450 17 6
By Vega8282

Please read the brief author's note at the end of the chapter. Enjoy!

The Fellowship had been sailing the entire day. The sun was beginning to go down, and Ara had been speeding them along with the current for a while. They had been discussing amongst themselves, but conversation had begun to run out. Legolas noticed that the young bender had begun to stare absently into the water. He couldn't help but wonder what she was thinking, especially after all she had been through. Both he and Aragorn were worried about her, no matter how she insisted they shouldn't.

Ara's head then perked up, and she cracked a slight smile. The elf prince knew that look: she had an idea. The hobbits looked just about bored to death. But she could fix that. The water began to shift besides the hobbits. Merry's eyebrows furrowed as he looked over the side. What was going on? As he watched, the water beside the boat began to change shape. It began to form a shape, humanoid one. It was the shape of a siren, a figure with a tail in place of legs. It jumped out of the main body of water and dived back in. Stunned, Merry nudged Pippin. The Fellowship watched as the liquid siren swam and performed tricks for them.

"Wow." Sam breathed as he watched the figure. Ara chuckled.

"I haven't seen one of them in years." Most of the men gave her a disbelieving looks.

"You've seen sirens?" Boromir asked, unable to tell if she was just pulling their legs or not. But the bender nodded, dead serious.

"Yes. The seas are their homes, although they are not often seen. I saw them once in a while back home. I could take you all there someday, if you wish." she smiled. The Hobbits chattered excitedly, watching the figures move fluidly along the current. Aragorn caught Ara's eye, amusement clear upon his face. The girl winked a glowing eye, a grin on her face. It reminded him how truly young the bender was. She hadn't acted her age since her brother passed. More was always expected of her.

One thing was certain: no matter what Ara went through, she'd always have the same, good heart.

The sun began to lower in the sky, and the Fellowship spotted movement upon the opposite bank. Uruk-hai, no mistaking it. They kept a careful eye on their pursuers. Ara hurried the boats along with her powers, wanting to put as much distance between them as possible. The boats soon passed through a towering canyon. Aragorn called for them to stop for the night. Despite the promise of rest, all of them remained uneasy.

They came to rest on the opposite bank from which they had seen the Uruk-hai. They began to set up camp and settle in. As the sun begin to disappear from view, Boromir spotted something moving in the water further away from them. Ara scowled, recognizing what it was.

"Gollum. He has tracked us since Moria. I had hoped we would lose him on the river. But hes too clever a waterman." Aragorn confirmed. Boromir shook his head unhappily. It had not taken their enemies long to catch up with them.

"And if he alerts the enemy to our whereabouts, it will make the crossing even more dangerous."

Ara bit her lip quietly and moved to sit down near the hobbits. She wanted to stay close to them tonight, as she was worried.

"Grandmother would have been so much better at this." She didn't realize she had said it aloud until the hobbits spoke up.

"Your grandmother... She was a bander-folk as well right?" Sam asked. Legolas cracked a smile.

"Yes. And one of the best of them at that." This was significant, as he had met plenty of benders in his life so far.

"Uncle Bilbo used to include her in his stories. The one with the dragon." Frodo said. He looked up at Ara curiously. He had only ever heard snippets about the famed Reyna Stormbringer, First Lionheart of Ibilissa.

"Will you tell us more of her?" Ara smiled warmly.

"I don't know nearly as much as I wish, but I shall try."

So with that, Ara told them what she remembered, passed down from her mother and her brother. Reyna's origin as an orphan, but then a powerful warrior by 15. How she slayed a dragon at quite a young age, and met the Company of Thorin Oakenshield, along with Gandalf. The story of the Great Goblin, and how she aggravated and slayed him. The hobbits found this particularly amusing and impressive.

"She said that? To the Great Goblin himself?" Pippin said in disbelief.

"Aye, she did. Me father told me of it. That woman had a fire about her, that was for sure." Gimli chuckled. He had been filling in any details Ara could not. He had met the bender when he was quite young, after all.

Ara laughed in agreement. Talking about her grandmother made her quite sad, but the fond memories helped to mend that. She continued on the story, the hobbits listening in awe as she described the fall of Smaug the Stupendous, and the Battle of Five armies. Legolas took over part of it, as he had participated in the fight. The elf had often told Ara what little he knew of her grandmother. He left out some things, of course. All of the Fellowship listened carefully. They had all heard the stories, the hobbits from Bilbo. But this was a new side of it they had not been told of. Ara wrapped up the story, a smile on her face.

"So Reyna settled down, for a little while, at least. She had twins- my mother and my Uncle Asher. She lived happily, until she passed." The bender felt a bit odd. Reyna Stormbringer had been lost when she was a small child. She didn't have all too many memories of her.

"I can see where you get it from, lass." Gimli remarked. He considered the Stormbringers as long-lost companions. Ara smiled shyly. In her opinion, comparing her to such a great figure was like comparing apples and oranges. She could never be as great as Reyna, she was sure of it.

Protecting a legacy was a funny thing.

"Enough of that... tell me of your families." The bender listened and laughed as the hobbits told stories of the shire. Of Hobbiton and all the characters that lived within it. Of Bilbo Baggins, Old Gaffer Gamgee, and all the other hobbits that were close to them. It seemed so... peaceful, compared to what she grew up with. Above all, she understood why Gandalf was so fond of hobbits. She made a silent vow that she would do anything it took to keep them safe and as happy as a journey such as this would allow. 

The sun finally set completely, and the Fellowship was left talking under the stars, and the light of the moon.  As time went on, they all began to get drowsy.

"Have some food, Mr. Frodo." Sam tried to coax, in vain.

"No, Sam." Frodo said. Ara could see how strained he looked. And not eating wasn't helping things.

"You havent eaten anything all day. Youre not sleeping neither. Dont think I havent noticed. Mr. Frodo-" Ara didn't mean to eavesdrop, but she was concerned.

"Im all right." Frodo insisted. Yeah right, Ara thought.

"But youre not. Im here to help you. I promised Gandalf that I would." His heart ached at the state of his friend. He couldn't stand to see him suffer this way. Frodo's expression softened, understanding what his friend must have been thinking.

"You cant help me Sam. Not this time. Get some sleep."

Ara shook her head sadly. She doubted either of them would be able to find much sleep. She then moved to sit down near Aragorn, to let the hobbits rest. She had made a habit of sharpening her mother's sword regularly. It made her feel almost as if she was there with her. It was silent, save for some casual chatter.

"Minas Tirith is the safer road. You know that. From there we can regroup. Strike out for Mordor from a place of strength." Boromir said. Aragorn looked at him, obviously sick of the conversation.

"There is no strength in Gondor that can avail us."

"You were quick enough to trust the Elves. Have you so little faith in your own people? Yes, there is weakness. There is frailty. But there is courage also, and honor to be found in Men. But you will not see that."

Aragorn, having heard enough, turned away.  Boromir grabbed his arm.

"You are afraid! All your life, you have hidden in the shadows. Scared of who you are, of what you are."

Aragorn glared at Boromir.

"I will not lead the Ring within a hundred leagues of your city." he snapped. Ara stood up, sheathing her sword as she did.

"You know full well why we cannot, Boromir." she said strictly. She wouldn't even want to take the ring near Ibilissa. The wills of men were weak, as good as their intensions were.

"Sleep, both of you. I'll take the first shift." Ara muttered. She then went over to a boulder and scaled it. She wanted to get higher ground. Nothing was going to sneak up on her friends on her watch. The bender released a sigh. She needed some time alone with her thoughts.

Things had been seeming to be going well for too long. Something would happen soon, she felt it in the pit of her stomach. The Uruk-hai may have been at a distance for then, but they would not stay that way.

The Fellowship awoke early the next morning, wanting to get going. They ate a simple breakfast of Lembas bread, before putting the boats back into the water. The drowsy hobbits hobbled into the canoes, the others following after them. Before long, they were traveling along the river again, making good time.

The day passed similarly to the previous one.  With some chatter and laughter. As they went on, Ara's feeling of foreboding got stronger. Something had to be coming.

After a while, the Fellowship came upon a sight like none other. Giant statues, almost serving as wardens at a gate. They stood carved out of the very rock, hands held forward almost in a warning manner. They were beautiful, but stern. Aragorn tapped Frodo on the shoulder.

"Frodo. The Argonath! Long have I desired to look upon the kings of old. My kin." he said, mystified. They all looked upon the sight in awe. But Ara still felt uneasy.

After a while, they beached the boats along the bank again, deciding to make camp. As they readied, Ara halted in laying out some supplies. She felt... wrong. Sick to her stomach. Seconds after, a pressure began to build in her head. Aragorn noticed Ara's movement, and saw the color leave her face.

"Ara? Are you feeling well?" For once, the bender shook her head.

"Aragorn, I'm used to the headaches the Ring gives me. But this is worse." She said, voice tight. Her friend's eyebrows furrowed.

"Go sit down. We have this handled." Ara didn't even bother arguing. She went over and sat on a log. The queasiness didn't subside, so she bent over and rested her head in her hands. She'd only felt this once. In Isengard, which had been crawling with orcs. This wasn't good.

"We cross the lake at nightfall. Hide the boats and continue on foot. We approach Mordor from the north." Aragorn announced. Gimli scoffed.

"Oh, yes? Its just a simple matter of finding our way through Emyn Muil? An impassable labyrinth of razor-sharp rocks! And after that, it gets even better!"

Pippin's eyes had went wide. He looked frightened.

"Festering, stinking marshlands far as the eye can see." Gimli finished his graphic depiction. Aragorn looked at him evenly.

"That is our road. I suggest you take some rest and recover your strength, Master Dwarf." Gimli looked confounded.

"Recover my?! Grrrrrr." he muttered gruffly, and plopped onto the ground

Legolas looked to the woods and then approached Aragorn.

"We should leave now." Aragorn shook his head.

"No. Orcs patrol the eastern shore. We must wait for cover of darkness." Legolas glanced across the water at the opposing bank.

"It is not the eastern shore that worries me. A shadow and a threat has been growing in my mind. Something draws near. I can feel it. And so can Ara."

They both knew if Ara was reacting this way, it was not a good sign.

Aragorn didn't have time to reply, as Merry's words caught the attention of everyone.

"Wheres Frodo?"

Ara's head whipped up. Sam was startled awake at the sudden tension. Aragorn looked around the campsite, and spotted Boromir's shield and supplies unattended. He was gone too.

"Dammit." Ara hissed, having come to the same conclusion. Her and Aragorn immediately made for the woods. The others took off in all different directions, frantically searching for their friends.

Aragorn and Ara ran through the forest, scaling steep banks. The two of them heard a crash and a thud, so they made off in that direction.  They first saw a large stone structure with steps built in; the Seat of Seeing. Lying in the leaves at the base of it was a familiar dark-haired hobbit. Had he fallen off of that?

"Frodo?" Ara asked cautiously. As Frodo turned around, she felt as if the very breath had been taken out of her. She felt as if a spike had been driven into her head. The Ring. It was giving everything it had. Aragorn glanced at her, concerned, and then back at the Hobbit. What was going on?

"It has taken Boromir." Frodo said, blue eyes wild. Aragorn stepped toward the hobbit.

"Where is the Ring?" he asked. To Frodo, that sounded much too like a warning. Frodo scrambled backward, clearly afraid. He was sounding much too much like Boromir for his liking.

"Stay away!" he cried. Aragorn followed him, concerned. Ara stayed right where she was. She realized that the hobbit was afraid of them.

"Frodo!" Aragorn said, and then stopped.

"I swore to protect you."

"Can you protect me from yourself?" Frodo retorted. It broke both of the others' hearts to hear him say that. But now Aragorn understood why he was acting in such a manner.

Frodo held out his hand and opened his palm, revealing the ring he held.

"Would you destroy it?" he questioned. Aragorn approached him quietly. The ring called to him, in a raspy, evil voice.

"AragornAragornElessar"

Ara held her breath as she watched the two. For a moment she was afraid Aragorn would take the ring... It would corrupt him, as it would any of them. As it had Boromir. The bender didn't want to hurt him to protect Frodo and what he protected. She didn't have the heart for it.

Just as Ara began to think the worse, Aragorn kneeled in front of him. With what she could only assume was great inward strength, he reached out and closed Frodo's small hand over the ring. He gently pushed it toward the hobbit.

"I would have gone with you to the end. Into the very fires of Mordor." There was sorrow and pain in his voice. Frodo's expression softened.

"I know. Look after the others. Especially Sam. He will not understand." Ara choked up, thinking of what Frodo was about to choose to do.

"Frodo... I-I could come with you." she got out. But the pain the ring was causing her was visible. Frodo looked at her with sorrowful blue eyes.

"Ara... it would be the end of you." As soon as he said it, she knew he was right. If she got too near Mordor, she would easily be taken by Sauron.

"They need you here." Frodo finished. Ara nodded through her misty eyes. He didn't deserve this pain, this burden. But she remembered what the Lady Galadriel had told her. She had to let him make his own decisions. She was no use to anyone dead.

Aragorn and Ara then looked to Frodo's side, alarmed. Sting was glowing blue. Aragorn quickly got to his feet.

"Go, Frodo. Ara, get him across the river, whatever means necessary." Aragorn drew his sword. Ara nodded, although she didn't like the idea of leaving the man to deal with the orcs on his own.

"Run." Aragorn prompted, but Frodo hesitated.

"Run!" Aragorn said firmly. Ara took the hobbit's arm, and the two took off through the forest. Behind them they heard clangs of swords, and shouts as Aragorn took on their enemy. 

Ara hurriedly led the Halfling along. She almost ran dead into Legolas and Gimli as they neared the shore. Before they could ask any questions, she interjected.

"Aragorn needs help, back the way we came. The Uruk-hai are here!" Legolas solemnly nodded and took off, Gimli following after him. Neither of them realized that it might have been the last time they saw the hobbit.

The two finally made it to the beach. Ara began to head in the other direction, causing Frodo to pause.

"Where are you going?!" he asked. Ara glanced back.

"To go makes some noise. Go! Get across the river!" Frodo nodded and ran toward the nearest boat.

The Lionheart sprinted along the beach, having spotted some Uruk-hai emerging from the treeline further up. They hadn't spotted Frodo yet. Ara picked up her pace and ran uphill.

"Hey ugly arses!" She shouted at the top of her lungs. Her eyes then began to glow, and she formed an orb of fire in her hand. The Lionheart proceeded to throw it at them. Needless to say, that got their attention. They growled menacingly, their ugly faces screwed up in scowls.

Just as planned. She glanced up at the sky and made the clouds darken.

The Bender ran toward the cliffs edge and held her arms out wide.

"Come get me."

The Uruk-hai charged her. Just as they got close enough, the wind picked up. Gale-force winds threw them into the trees they came from. She saw the exact moment when they realized what they got themselves into. Ara smirked and raised her hand. Seconds later there was a blinding flash, and a roar of thunder. A lightning bolt struck down and hit several of her enemies. Frodo needed a diversion, and she was giving him one.

The benders ink black hair whipped around her in the wind, her eyes glowing as bright as they possibly could. She could already feel the strain of using so much energy, but she paid it no mind. All the commotion drew in more Uruk-hai. With the gale and flying debris, none of them could see the small figure escaping across the water.

Ara couldnt hear anything over the wind, so she had to rely on sight alone. The monsters attempted to fire arrows at her, but the wind knocked them aside. As time went on it got harder to keep them all back. One of the larger Uruk-hai managed to find a weaker spot in the wind. It charged at the bender from the side as her attention was on all of the others. At the last second she sensed a presence right beside her. She moved just in time to avoid being hit with the heavy sword of the charging orc. The bender jumped backward, but the follow-up strike managed to graze her side. The bender raised her hand, and felt electricity crackling across her fingertips. It then blasted outward and blew the orc into the river. In the process of dealing with him, the wind died down enough for more enemies to get closer. Upon realizing this, the Bender sent a shockwave of wind into them, and they were all sent sprawling.

Ara glanced carefully towards the water to see Frodo, and was that... Sam? In the boat, rowing towards the opposite shore. Good, she thought. He needs someone to help carry the load. As sad as she was that she couldn't do more for them, she was glad she could do at least this.

The Uruk-hai held on longer than the bender expected. They just kept coming, since she was a high-value target.  The strain was getting to her, and it was visible. Blood trickled from her nose, and she didn't have time to wipe it away. The pressure was building in her head, and she didn't know how much longer she could keep her powers going. Just as she thought she was going to give out, a blonde figure appeared at the treeline. Arrows whizzed through the air, taking down two of the orcs within seconds. Between Legolas and Ara, the remaining Uruk-hai were soon taken care of.

As soon as the storm died down and Ara could see him clearly, she knew something was wrong. There was sorrow in his eyes, the kinds of which she only saw when.... someone had died. Her stomach twisted in knots.

"Are you okay?" Legolas asked, watching as she wiped the blood from her face. Ara nodded, although she was drained.

"Fine. What's going on?" she asked nervously. Legolas bowed his head.

"It's Boromir... come." Ara bit her lip, and she followed Legolas through the woods. They came to a clearing at the bottom of the hill. It was strewn with the corpses of Uruk-hai.

Aragorn was kneeling over someone... Ara paused at the sight. Her mouth went dry, and she made a kind of choking noise. She ran down the remainder of the hill and knelt down beside the still figure. He was already  gone. Three long arrow shafts stuck out from the Gondorian's torso. He was pale, and lifeless. It was not the first time Ara had seen one of her friends dead, but it hurt as it always did.

Just minutes ago, he had been with them... and now he was gone. She didn't even get to say goodbye.

If she had been able to take his place, she willingly would have done so. It was that she couldn't have done anything that hurt the most.

"By the Valar, no...."

Ara didn't realize she was crying until she saw drops land on Boromir's tunic. Her hands shook as she took one of his. Aragorn watched them sadly. The words Boromir had left him with rang in his head.

I would have followed you, my brother. My captain. My king.

Despite what had just happened, Boromir had more than made up for his mistakes. He'd always been a good man, had always done what he believed to be right for his people. Boromir may have been flawed, but he was a dear and loyal friend until the very end.

Aragorn leaned down and kissed Boromir's forehead.

"Be at peace, son of Gondor."

Ara withheld a sob as Aragorn stood up. He faced the woods, tears rolling down his cheeks.

"They will look for his coming from the White Tower. But he will not return."

Ara bit her lip, as Legolas gently put a hand on his shoulder.

"We must move him." He said quietly.

The four Fellowship members carefully took the Gondorian's body back to the shore. All of them were exhausted, beaten, and emotionally distraught.

They carefully prepared the man for his send off, as best as they could. Soon they had Boromir laid in one of the elven boats, with his sword laid under his hands. A proper Gondorian send-off. All of them had been silent, until they were pushing the boat into the water.

Aragorn looked over to meet Ara's red eyes. Her face was tear-stained, and her eyes abnormally dull.

"He wanted me to tell you he was sorry. That it was an honor fighting alongside you."

Ara had to take a moment before she could speak. They all watched from the shore as the boat, and their dear friend, was carried over the side of the waterfall. He was gone.

"There was nothing to forgive.... He was a good man." she said. The bender then cleared her throat and looked over at her friends. Some of them were missing.

"Where's Merry and Pippin?" Gimli and Aragorn looked somber, but Legolas was pushing the remaining boat into the water.

"Hurry! Frodo and Sam have reached the eastern shore." He exclaimed, looking back at them. Ara and Aragorn stood still, watching the halflings running on the other side of the banks. Realization dawned on the elf's face.

"You mean not to follow them." Aragorn and Ara exchanged glances.

'"We cannot, Legolas. For their sakes." Aragorn hardened his jaw. This was hard for all of them.

"Frodo's fate is no longer in our hands."

Gimli shook his head, looking forlorn.

"Then it has all been in vain. The Fellowship has failed."  Aragorn put a hand on the dwarf's shoulder.

"Not if we hold true to each other. We will not abandon Merry and Pippin to torment and death."

Ara stared at him. So the Uruk-hai had gotten them, as she had feared. Oh no... The bender couldn't help but feel guilty for not preventing it.

"Not while we have strength left. Leave all that can be spared behind. We travel light. Lets hunt some Orc!" Aragorn finished. Despite the somber circumstances, it served to motivate all of them. If they could not help Frodo and Sam, they would do whatever they could to save Pippin and Merry.

Aragorn picked up his dagger, and took off towards the forest. Ara smirked and gripped her sword, exchanging glances with the others. They all grinned.

"Yes! Haha!" Gimli cried, and charged after Aragorn. Ara and Legolas followed suit.

They ha suffered a great loss that day. They had lost a dear friend, and Frodo and Sam were outside of their help. The Fellowship was broken, but pity the poor orcs that got in the way of those who remained.

Hey all! Hope you are doing well, and enjoyed this chapter. I may or may not have teared up writing it!

I know this is the end of the First movie, so I want to take a consensus:

Should I keep writing into the Two Towers in this book, or create a trilogy like I did for Lionheart?

Let me know what you think!

-Vega

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

202K 5.3K 28
(Y/n) (L/n) has been on the run her whole life. Where she is from, she is considered a witch. Gondor would not welcome her any longer. She was a nuis...
5K 225 21
She followed the dark for so long, she forgot who she was. Years after being initially captured by what Middle Earth knows them as the 'Blue Wizards'...
25.8K 969 34
𝗟𝗲𝗴𝗼𝗹𝗮𝘀 𝘅 (𝗙𝗲𝗺) 𝗼𝗰 ɪɴ ᴡʜɪᴄʜ, ᴛʜᴇ ꜰᴀᴇʀɪᴇ ᴘʀɪɴᴄᴇꜱꜱ ᴊᴏɪɴꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ꜰᴇʟʟᴏᴡꜱʜɪᴘ ᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇɪʀ ᴊᴏᴜʀɴᴇʏ ᴛᴏ ꜱᴀᴠᴇ ᴍɪᴅᴅʟᴇ-ᴇᴀʀᴛʜ, ᴀɴᴅ ꜰɪɴᴅꜱ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ᴀʟᴏɴɢ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴀ...
39.7K 864 22
A LORD OF THE RINGS STORY: Eline, daughter of Lord Elrond has been kept a secret for many years. She is courageous and fearless, much different to h...