'Til Death Do Us Part

Da Elle_Wrote_It

[Completed] Ranked #1! Ariana Grayson is young, beautiful, popular...and dead. Her best friend, Everly Clarke... Altro

Introduction
Cast
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty One
Twenty Two
Twenty Four
Twenty Five
Twenty Six
Twenty Seven
Twenty Eight
Twenty Nine
Thirty
Thirty One
Thirty Two
Thirty Three
Thirty Four
Thirty Five
Thirty Six
Thirty Seven
Thirty Eight
Thirty Nine
Forty
Forty One
Forty Two
Note from Author
Legal Disclaimer

Twenty Three

218 47 2
Da Elle_Wrote_It

Hey! Want to meet at the pond this afternoon?

I texted Leo in the morning before he had a chance to text me. I wanted to go by Maggie's earlier in the day, so I confirmed plans with Leo for the afternoon. This way, I had plenty of time to talk with her and see what, if anything, she could do.

Sounds good! How's 2:00? Bring your art stuff and I'll bring my camera?

My phone buzzed, making me jump. I laughed at myself and then texted him back. I grabbed my sketchbook and pencils, tossed them into my backpack, and finished getting ready. I pulled my hair up into a high ponytail and pulled a t-shirt over my head. I grabbed a pair of denim shorts and then slid on my hiking boots.

My dad had already left for work and my mom peeled in my room as I finished getting dressed. She had joined a quilting group and would be out for a few hours, she told me. I could tell my mom was excited. She'd spent hours at the sewing store and was invited to join a group of other women in town who also sewed. They were now working on a giant quilt to showcase at one of the middle schools, and she was always running off to buy more fabric or thread. It made me happy to see her so energetic about something. She giggled as she waved a quick goodbye to me before leaving.

With both my parents out of the house, I could go to Maggie's first and then meet Leo later without having to check in or anything. Glancing at the clock, I ran into the bathroom for a quick check in the mirror. The crystal necklace caught the light from the bathroom as I flipped on the switch. I raised my hand and felt its smoothness.

I hope this really helps and isn't some total hoax.

I wanted Maggie to be the real deal so badly. She was all I had right now and I couldn't afford to waste any time. I planned on telling her exactly that as soon as I saw her. If she's a fake, then fine. I'll tell her I will keep her secret, not alerting anyone she's not really a psychic fortune teller or whatever, but that I need to know the truth. I just hoped she'd be upfront with me and I wouldn't have to go in circles. I nodded at myself in the mirror, smiling with satisfaction, ready to go. My stomach turned with anticipation.

I was holding on to the crystal as it sat around my neck when the light went out. I sighed and looked at the bulb, it's white glass now looking burned. Our extra light bulbs were in the garage somewhere, but I didn't want to waste time in replacing the bulb right then. I promised myself I'd do it when I got home later. As I was about to turn to leave, the bathroom door slammed shut. I jumped, a short scream escaping my lips. My hand shot out for the handle, turning it, but the door didn't open. It was locked from the inside where I stood, but wouldn't unlock. The door wouldn't budge. My palm grew sweaty and slipped around the door handle until I let go.

Turning around slowly, I looked around, eyeing the shower, sink, and finally back around again to the mirror. The shower and tub were empty, but I checked them anyway since I'd see way too many scary movies where people get attacked in the shower or while they take a bath. I almost laughed at the thought, but my fear had grown to anger.

"Ariana!" I screamed. "I know it's you! Unlock the door and let me out!"

I looked up towards the ceiling as if that's where all spirits were located. I listened, but didn't hear a sound.

"Ari!" I yelled again. I tried the door handle, but it wouldn't budge. "You're going to lock me in my own bathroom? Really?!"

I closed the toilet lid and sat down. There was no way I was going to spend the day locked in my bathroom. I tried to figure out my options.

"Ari?" I said in a calm tone. "I said I was sorry, and I am. I'm so sorry for everything. I miss you like crazy! I know you want me there with you, but-"

My voice stopped. I didn't know what to say. I had thought joining her was the right thing. But now...I wasn't so sure. I needed to know where she was first.

"Where are you?" I asked. "You said if I join you, we can hang out every day having fun, but...is that true?"

She appeared in the mirror and I stood to face her. I planted my feet on the floor and gripped the counter, steadying myself. I met her glare.

"Everly," she said sweetly. "Join me. Why aren't you here yet? You should be here."

"I know." I agreed. "Is it true what you said? Is it really wonderful there?" I tried to keep my face blank from expression.

"It is!" she boasted. "You'll see!"

I gazed into the mirror at her beautiful face. She was smiling at me and for a moment, I allowed myself to cry for her. As a tear fell down my cheek, I wanted to reach trough the glass and pull her back. Back to me and our lives before all of this.

"I should've been there that night," I confessed. "I know that. But I wasn't, Ari. I wasn't! You - you died and I'll never forgive myself for not being with you, but...I can't turn back time, no matter how much I wish I could. I can't bring you back!"

"It's not about bringing me back!" her voice raised slightly. "It's about...bringing you here, where you belong. With me."

"I know you believe that-" I started.

Her eyes narrowed and I tried to keep my voice steady.

"But I think that maybe, well maybe it's not my time to go. That's why I wasn't with you that night. It's not my time, Ari. Maybe I don't belong there-"

Ariana cut me off. "You belong here!" she shrieked. I flinched but stood my ground.
"You think I should be here? And you? You honestly think you belong there?"

I just nodded in response. She cackled loudly.
Her eyes became dark.

"Everly," she cooed. "Don't fight this. Don't fight me. You will lose. Do you want that? Don't make this difficult. You can join me and nothing bad has to happen."

"And if I don't?" I challenged. "If I don't join you?"

She smiled a wide toothy grin that made me uneasy. I gripped the sides of the counter tighter.

"If you don't?" she repeated. "You will be very, very sorry."

"You can't threaten me, Ari. You can't make me come there if I'm not ready. I'm not going to do this just because-" I had quietly spoken to her, not wanting to argue or upset her. I had mistakenly thought that if I kept an even tone, she would listen to what I was saying. Maybe she would really listen. But I was wrong. So, so wrong.

The mirror began to crack, a slow windy line growing down the glass. I watched it as it went down, down, down the mirror. The cracking then branches out to both sides, and with each movement, more cracks formed. Little by little, the entire mirror had become covered in small cracks in the glass. Ariana was gone, my reflection now multiplied in the tiny pieces of glass. The mirror started to shake, rumbling as though someone was pushing it from behind. Just as I realized what was going to happen, I threw my arms up over my face and head and threw myself down to the floor.

The mirror exploded, glass crashing into tons of little pieces, and flew straight out. I screamed as the glass hit the wall behind me. I could feel small pieces land on my arms, making tiny cuts as I tried to cover my face.
My screaming echoed in my ears. Once it stopped, I was panting heavily, lowering my arms ever so slowly. Broken glass was everywhere. I shook out my hair and arms, hoping to get the glass off of me before standing up.

The entire mirror has shattered. I stepped backwards, coming to a halt as I heard the glass crunch under my boots. I spun around and graded the doorknob and thankfully, it opened. Horrified, I grabbed my backpack off my floor, threw it over or shoulder, and flew down the stairs. I almost fell but grabbed the stair banister. Steadying myself, I made my way through the kitchen and out the door. As soon as I got outside, I adjusted the backpack on both shoulders and took off down my street. I had to get to Maggie's.

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerà anche

1.6M 67.1K 36
Death should be calm, death should be peaceful, death should happen when you're old, but death doesn't ask for an age and death doesn't care who you...
6.3K 834 38
Death. What happens after it? What lies beneath the surface? Poor Arielle Daniels stumbled through dangerous hoops to figure this out. She wakes in a...
542K 11.6K 29
Marie wanted to be as good as her mother wanted. Since her older brother was diagnosed with autism, she is considered the family's "normal" child. Sh...
2.2K 270 31
For many, the word haunted brings to mind malicious spirits prowling darkened halls in the dead of night and preying upon the living. Not for Jason...