The Apprentice of Potions (A...

By SusanaRice

Vienna Marques is about to be a 7th yr Ravenclaw. She is offered an opportunity by Professor Dumbledore and P... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - Decisions to Be Made
Chapter 2 - The Errands We Run
Chapter 3 - Birthday Tea
Chapter 4 - A Day in Daigon Alley
Chapter 5 - A Surprise at Hogwarts
Chapter 6 - Class Begins
Chapter 7 - Defence Against Daddy's Attack
Chapter 9 - Dream of Simplicity
Chapter 10 - Secret Passage
Chapter 11 - Different Arrangements
Chapter 12 - Drinks in the Dungeons
Chapter 13 - Betrayals and Blackmail
Chapter 14 - Occlumensy and Other Things
Chapter 15 - Jinxed
Chapter 16 - Hazel Eyed Envy
Chapter 17 - Frenzy and Fear
Chapter 18 - Down the Rabbit Hole
Chapter 19 - Complex Madness
Chapter 20 - Slight Readjustments
Chapter 21 - Luck Is All You Need
Chapter 22 - Mermaids, Unicorns, and Slytherins
Chapter 23 - To Change One Thing
Chapter 24 - Jealousy
Chapter 25 - Dance Magic Dungeon
Chapter 26 - Holiday Departure
Chapter 27 - Friendly Serpentine Congregation
Chapter 28 - Presence of Presents
Chapter 29 - Vienna Waits For You
Chapter 30 - New Years Eve
Chapter 31 - The Hearing
Chapter 32 - Flying High to Crash Land
Chapter 33 - Valentines
Chapter 34 - The Daily Prophet
Chapter 35 - Carnival Celebration
Chapter 36 - Captured
Chapter 37 - Healing
Chapter 38 - Detention, Miss Marques
Chapter 39 - N.E.W.T.'s
Chapter 40 - Wedded Bliss
Note From Author

Chapter 8 - Confessions in the Night

5.9K 128 47
By SusanaRice

(A/N) OK I really struggled with this chapter because I got caught up in my Severus moment, mentally. However here it is. I  hope you like, it's a short chapter though. Comments are welcome. Thank you for reading :)

Vienna, Nadia, Savin Marques Eliza Kettle, are my creation, the rest are of course, JK Rowling's work. No Copyright Infringement intended.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------           

Vienna felt sore all over, she was surprised to know she was still alive. Her eyelids felt too heavy to open so she didn’t try. She heard voices speaking softly nearby to where she was.

            “I am uncertain what exactly happened, Poppy. One of the house elves fetched me. Apparently Miss Marques became ill, and she called out for the elf. When the creature came to Miss Marques, she asked her to come and get ‘sir’ before passing out,” the man admitted.

            “How did the elf know it was you she meant, Severus, why not Filius,” asked the nurse in her constant worried tone.

            “I had the elf send her up a meal. She’d had a rough day, and I sent a serving of fire whiskey to accompany her meal to take the edge off. One of the Ravenclaw students let me in. When I came to where the girls were crowded, I saw Miss Marques slumped over sideways sitting near an empty glass. The container of fire whiskey was on her night stand still opened. I lifted up the glass to investigate it, and there was a dash of dried mint swirling the bottom. But there was a trace of something else. What it was, I cannot quite figure it out, but it was laced on the mint. She’ll need new apothecary supplies however. The mint was from her personal collection,” Severus replied.

            Vienna could hear Madame Pomfrey sigh, speaking with that motherly voice, “It’s a good thing you were informed Severus. And the Antidote you recommended seems to have done wonders. She no longer looks green nor is she sweating. Do you think her herbs were contaminated when she bought them?”

            “No,” uttered Professor Snape in a slightly louder octave, “I was in Slugger & Jiggs when she got them. In fact, I gathered them for her, Poppy. She is my top student, so I did the courtesy of helping her acquire some necessities. Someone has tampered with the girl’s stores!”

            “Alright, Severus, no need to get all huffy, I believe you. I just don’t understand who would do such a thing to her. Aside from being a tad bitter, she’s a good student.”

            “What you refer to as ‘bitter’ is more so intolerance to the filth that floats through the corridors. Miss Marques has always put her work first, and she has no patience for ignorance,” Severus drawled.

            Madame Pomfrey chuckled before saying, “If I didn’t know better, Severus, I’d say Miss Marques was teacher’s pet. She sounds like a spitting replica of the student you were when you attended.”

            “Poppy, don’t say another word,” he warned. At this Vienna finally made an effort to open her eyes. Professor Snape and Madame Pomfrey came to her sides, helping to prop her up against the pillows. Vienna let out a groan of complaint. Madame Pomfrey lit her wand and pulled open Vienna’s eyelids to check her pupils, then checked her throat, and finally waved her wand over the girl’s neck down to her torso.

            “Well Miss Marques, I suppose it was lucky he got you down in time, there doesn’t seem to be any real damage. You’ll be good to go in the morning,” she informed. Vienna simply nodded.

            “Miss Marques how do you feel,” Professor Snape asked. Vienna shrugged her shoulders, a great feat, considering she still was sore. Vienna looked at them both sheepishly, not knowing what to say she settled with weak answer, “I don’t think I should drink fire whiskey anymore, that’s for certain. I’ll be a goner by weeks end.”

            Vienna saw that Professor Snape’s lips move into a half smile, making one cheek higher than the other. He stroked her black, sweat-matted tresses away from her head. Vienna and Madame Pomfrey just stared at him in shock. He noticed this, pulling his hand away he returned to his emotionless composure, “Miss Marques, I have asked the house elf to bring me your box of herbs. The contaminant was more than likely in the mint leaves. I could not quite tell what it was, so I will need to speak with Professor Sprout about assisting. Furthermore, we’ll have to find a way to purchase you fresh supplies, so I’ll speak to the Headmaster about that.”

            “Sir, I have tons of Galleons in my room, perhaps we can send my owl out,” she inclined. Professor Snape arched a brow in consideration. He stood up and moved to the foot of the bed. Vienna and Madame Pomfrey continued to watch him. Professor Snape stood like a dictator, one hand over the other down in front, and shifted his head upward slightly. He was regal in the way he held himself, like a dark prince, his obsidian eyes looked over them.

            “No,” he said plainly. Vienna shocked that she’d been refused by her favorite professor, just gaped. Professor Snape moved his hands behind his back, which made him, seem taller, looked down his nose and spoke in the assertive tone he used often, “I cannot permit that. Your herbs were tampered with sometime between the start of term until when you took a pinch to your fire whiskey. I do not take that likely.”

            “Severus, you take nothing, don’t fool yourself or the girl for that matter,” Madame Pomfrey scolded. Vienna let out a small laugh, wincing at the pain it created. Professor Snape rolled his eyes and snapped back at the Matron, “THAT, Poppy, is neither here nor there! Someone tried to harm her, didn’t they? Could you please go and get her a tonic for the pain?”

            Madame Pomfrey was taken aback at the way the potion master spoke at her. She stood up him, looking like an aged doll to the tall dark man, her face twisted in scorn, “I was just stating the obvious, Severus, you’ve no need to tear me down or order me about like I am one of your students. But you had best be careful,” – she threw a sideways glance at Vienna and back at Snape – “some people may accuse you of having feelings after all.” Madame Pomfrey stormed out, her shoes echoing loudly.

            Vienna looked back at Professor Snape, his figure a looming shadow in the dark. She didn’t necessarily feel uncomfortable around him, just unsettled by his penetrative silence; she smoothed the sheet that covered her disconcert. Her ruffling took him out of whatever absorption he was in. He skulked thunderously to her side again, leaned in her whispered, “I beg your pardon at the outburst you witnessed. Poppy is a sweet old woman, she just doesn’t know when to hold her tongue. I however have no use for a dead apprentice. Come to the dungeons when you are released later in the morning. Bring your money satchel, I will go and gather more supplies for you myself this weekend. Since we begin brewing the Wigginweld potion later today, I will provide you with reserves from my stores.”

            He stood back up and began to leave, his robe floating behind him. Vienna inhaled sharply then blurted, “Professor, I’ve something to tell you. Before later that is…”

            “Yes Miss Marques,” turning on the spot to see her. She threw the sheet back and rose gently not to interrupt her screaming bones, carefully making her way toward him. Holding on tightly to the end of the bed, she addressed him, “Sir, this summer,” – an expression tightened his face, he pulled his wand out and pointed to all the doors – “er…? No, not about the things you sent me. But around the same time as you did send the owl, and then a week later on my birthday, I received two unmarked packages. Honestly sir, I did not know who they were from. Foolishly, I assumed it was you.”

            “What were these things, Miss Marques? And why did you think they were from me,” he demanded; gesturing for her to sit down on the bed, he walked back to Vienna so he could hear what she had to say.

            Her cheeks were burning at his inquiry, but she took the seat. She willed herself to follow his instructions from class, she focused on nothing but a brick wall in her mind’s eye. Feeling secure to retell the events, she met his hard eyes and spoke in a stony tone that matched his own, “Sir, why should I not think it was you? After all, one of the parcels was a personal sized cauldron, the ones you required for your 7th year students. It is the one that convinced me it was you, it arrived on my birthday. The time previously was a dress, quite stunning to be honest. The sender acquired my measurements from Madame Malkin’s shop and had her make it for me. Each one had a note, unsigned. When I received the cauldron, it suggested that it accompanied the gift that Eliza got me, a box of flasks and vials. Something you, the potions master, would gift.”

            Vienna fought the urge to let her mental shield collapse as she didn’t want him to see what the note had said specifically.  His eyes searching her mind for anything else relevant to her story. And then he peered at her, speaking carefully, “That was an excellent attempt, Miss Marques. But I saw your expression in admiration of the dress, amongst other things. I even saw bits of what the note implied; the one that came with the dress.”

            Vienna turned her head away, muttering at herself. She felt like a complete idiot, thinking she could’ve hidden anything from her professor. As she sat in her shame, she felt on imprint on her cheek, Professor Snape was caressing her face delicately with the back of his fingers. She tried to ignore it, but when she felt hot breath on her ear, she flushed. Vienna’s skin prickled as he whispered into her ear, “It wasn’t from me… either of them. You are indeed very beautiful… I would be blind to think you weren’t. But, it isn’t right.”

            Snape tugged her face so he could see her. Her eyes glowed, reflected the small tears welled in the corners. He wiped them with his thumbs and just looked at her for a few moments, as if seeing her for the first time. Vienna watched him as he watched her: Soft creases formed on his brow line, his pencil thin lips were barely parted, letting out small spasms of breath. His wan complexion glowed soft, flawless, enigmatically.  

            Vienna continued to visually trace the contours of his face. He truly was magnificent to her; she simply could not hide it. Knowing Madame Pomfrey was in the other room and could walk in made her heart pound in her ears, although the truth is she couldn’t as the man before her enchanted the doors. A surge of adrenaline made her begin to pant barely audible rapid gasps. Her fingers flew up to his long black locks, tangling themselves. She pulled him closing the small gap that separated them, meeting his mouth with hers. Snape reacted instantaneously by parting his lips to accept her kisses. Their mouths massaged each-others with the same carnal lust a feline takes to prey, as if this man was her only sustenance she’d been bereft. Without warning the buzz she was emitting ceased as if a light bulb had popped its fuse. Professor Snape was holding her at arm’s length, both grasping for air from deprived lungs. He swallowed hard and looked at her, sadness inherent on her features.

            “I cannot do this, it isn’t right to betray your innocence in this manner,” he let out in a soothing voice. Vienna struggled to find her own voice, she was afraid it may betray her. She threw up her hands in surrender, stammering.

            The man placed a single finger softly on her lips, hushing her. She shook her head and gently pushed his hand aside holding it to her cheek. She looked deeply into him and confessed, “Sir, you only just said that I was of age. Old enough to enjoy alcoholic beverages or whatever I pleased. It’s what one does with the responsibilities that matter because they have to deal with the consequences that follow. Professor, I really like you. A lot! When I first lay eyes on you, I was 11 years old, and this feeling in my belly” - she moved her hands to her stomach as if grasping rocks in each upward – “ignited like fire. When the bloody sorting hat yelled Ravenclaw, I was silently let down. But through the last 6 years, it pleased me to please you with my work. I didn’t want to come off as some pretentious school girl at all!

            “I have always been this scowling girl that you see. Every now and then I have a laugh sure, but even Eliza jokes that I should be Slytherin. But this girl, who started out merely crushing on her educator? The silly fervor has grown, and Sir, I can hardly contain it anymore. I am almost certain I am in love!”

            “My dear child, I am not saying I am not attracted to you. What a lie that would be. I just cannot be the one who ruins you. I want you to work alongside me, be my companion. But –“he cut of her attempt to interrupt him, sliding his hands down to hold her hands in his own – “I am hoping we keep a working relationship for some time to come. I am not saying you and I will never be. We just will not be at this time. There is so much you do not know about me, sweet child. You must be privy to this knowledge of who Severus Snape is, before you can truly admit your feelings for me. It is the one thing that could either shine or dim the light you see me in. Do you understand?”

            Y-yes, Sir,” she answered crestfallen.

            “Good,” he kissed her on the cheek. “Go on, get back into bed, it’s late, and I have to release the shield on the doors so you can receive your pain remedy. I want you to rest.”

            She crawled back to the head and pulled her legs under the sheets, and lay on her side with one hand under her head. Snape smoothed then tucked her in, stroked the girl tenderly on her face once more. He took his wand out and undid the charms and went to the door where Madame Pomfrey stormed out nearly half an hour before, and rapped on the glass window. Vienna heard him tell the woman he was sorry he’d reacted in the manner he had, and that Vienna needed the pain remedy. She did not hear the woman’s reply, but their footsteps moving back to her. Madame Pomfrey stepped up next to her offering her a bottle of liquid. Vienna lifted herself up again and drank it all, she saw her professor monitor from the foot end.

            “That’s a good girl. Now you need to sleep. And when you wake, you may leave.” Madame Pomfrey went around Snape, patted him on his back, and went back to her sleeping quarters. Severus, pleased with the prescription, bowed his head low to Vienna, “Goodnight Miss Marques.”

            “Goodnight professor. I’ll come to you tomorrow,” she informed. He nodded, twirled about half face where he stood, floating to the exit like a murky apparition rent in the night. Vienna stared into the void he left behind entranced until the serum succeeded, falling asleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

94.2K 3K 27
As the new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor, you have many obligations. Little do you know, you also have other abilities that will be thruste...
17.8K 484 16
Alexandria Lovecrest is returning to hogwarts as a professor. Being only 20 she just graduated 3 years ago. How will her life go as the golden trio b...
109 27 21
It is Enadira Cromwell's first year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Upon her arrival, she will finally discover her Hogwarts house. Wh...
33.9K 969 25
Starting school at Hogwarts you, Hermione, Ron, and Harry stumble upon something's that point to a certain potions professor being up to no good. Fee...