Good night, Enemy (Published...

By Serialsleeper

(FHS#1) Braylee wants to make her friends happy, Denver wants to get some sleep. She's hell-bent on making th... More

Epigraph
1 : Are you okay?
2 : You'll be okay
3 : Hey there bear
4 : Bad bad bad
5 : The boy who can't sleep
6 : The Meme Lord
7 : Run Chicken Run
8 : The walking mess
9 : Denver
10 : The things we do for love
11 : Wolves
12 : First Date
13 : Remember the enemy
14 : Game Night
15 : TKO
16 : A November-night's dream
17 : The shitty things
18 : Here's to the enemy
19 : Splinter in her heart
20 : Brayleefy
21 : Bearable
22 : Weakling
23 : Heartstrong
24 : Of hate and kindness
25 : Trust issues
26 : Unhealthy
27 : Dilemma
28 : Broken
29 : The tipping point
30 : You're the worst
31 : Punchfest
32 : Master Denbear
33 : The Question
34 : Enemyship
35 : Bad Christmas
36 : Bet on it
37 : Camo
38 : In the middle
39 : The 5 stages of Drunk Braylee (Part 1)
39 : The 5 stages of Drunk Braylee (Part 2)
40 : Triggeredt
41 : Worst Case Scenario
42 : If only they knew
43 : Patched
44 : Aggression
45 : Remember This
47 : The Favor
48 : Of all people
49 : You have no idea
50 : The Goner
51 : That thing called Depression
52 : The Secret
53 : Pang
54 : Numb
55 : Star-crossed
56 : I told you so
57 : Out of sight, out of mind
58 : Better
59 : Honestly
60 : Dwindle
61 : Too Late
62 : The thing about acceptance
63 : In the zone
64 : Validation
65 : Here's to the allies
66 : The stars in the sky
67 : You should know
Epilogue (Part 1 of 2)
Epilogue (Part 2 of 2)
Spin-off
Special Chapter #1
Special Chapter #2
ANNOUNCEMENT <3

46 : The past and the present

163K 9.3K 4.6K
By Serialsleeper

         Minulat ni Braylee ang kanyang mga mata at natagpuan ang kanyang sariling nakahiga parin sa mga bisig ni Denver. Mahimbing ang tulog ng binatang nakayakap sa kanya kaya naman dahan-dahan siyang bumangon upang huwag itong magising.

         Dahil hindi makatulog, lumabas muna si Braylee mula sa silid. Nakaka ilang hakbang pa lamang siya sa sala nang makita niya ang Ama ng binata na nakatayo sa harapan ng isang picture frame. Lumapit siya rito at napagtanto niyang sa isang litrato ito nakatingin--isang litrato kung saan kasama niya ang mga batang sina Denver at Warren habang kapwa nakangiti ng malapad.

       "Which one is Denver po?" tanong ni Braylee at lumitaw ang maliit na ngiti sa mukha nito nang ituro ang bunsong anak na nakabusangot sa litrato. "Denver wasn't always cold and grumpy. He used to be such a happy kid. This is our last picture together. Because in this photo, he had no idea I was his father. In this photo, Denver and Warren had no idea they were brothers."

        "W-were they friends?" hindi maiwasang magtanong ng dalaga.

       Tumango ang doktor. "When I learned that I had another son, all I ever wanted was for them to be friends and become the brothers that they are. I told Warren's Mother about Denver. The news was hard for her at first, but she was never mad at Denver, she was mad at me. But my wife eventually forgave me. She wanted Denver and Warren to be friends so we made Denver transfer to Warren's elementary school. I asked Warren to befriend Denver and they immediately got along, for a few days they came friends but they found out the truth and since then Warren had always hated and picked on Denver."

       Dumako ang tingin ko sa isang picture frame kung saan kasama ng batang si Warren ang kanyang ama at ina. "I-is that Warren's Mom?" tanong ni Braylee.

        "Warren's Mom was a patient of mine. She was diagnosed with Huntington's Disease but every time I was with her, I began to love her. I never cared about what everyone said, I loved her and it was the only thing that mattered to me so I married her. But one night I made a mistake... I slept with another patient of mine," 

        "Denver's Mom..." mahinang sambit ni Braylee dahilan para tumango ito.

        "I didn't know that I got his Mom pregnant. I only learned about Denver when he was rushed to the hospital after an accident at school," paliwanag pa nito. "I may not have been the perfect husband and father, but I love both of my son equally and unconditionally. I don't deserve their forgiveness but I want to make it up to them."

        "D-does Warren really have Huntington's?" muling pumatak ang luha mula sa mga mata ni Braylee kaya naman agad niya itong pinunasan. "I know you're a doctor but you can't just diagnose someone like that right? I mean, can you run some tests first?" hindi mapakali ang mga kamay ni Braylee at patuloy ang pagpatak ng kanyang mga luha.

        "When Warren was younger, I conducted a predictive genetic test and he showed signs of developing Huntington's Disease like her Mom. According to the tests, sooner or later, he will develop it. His Mom discovered the test results and the guilt," tumigil ang doktor sa pagsasalita at kasabay nito ang pagpatak ng kanyang mga luha. "She blamed herself for Warren's fate. She thinks that she gave Warren the disease and she was scared to see him in pain like her. She was still suffering with Huntington's so her emotions got the best of her and she succumbed to depression, eventually claiming her own life."

        Napatakip ako sa bibig ko dahil sa nalaman. So that's why his Mom committed suicide...

        "M-mom killed herself because of me?"

        Kapwa kami napalingon ni Doc at mas lalo pang rumagasa ang luha ko nang makita ko si Warren. Basang-basa siya ng ulan at naagsisimulang pumatak ang luha mula sa kanyang mga mata.

          "Warren, Warren we need to talk." Agad na lumapit si Doc sa kanyang anak at iginiya ito patungo sa kanyang opisina. Tumalikod muli si Braylee at pinunasan niya ang kanyang mga luha nang biglang may umakbay sa kanya.

         "Come on, let's get you home." wika ni Denver.

***

           Kapwa tahimik sina Braylee at Denver habang binabagtas nila ang tahimik at madilim na kalsada. Dire-diretso ang tingin ni Denver sa kalsada samantalang si Braylee naman ay maya't-mayang napapasulyap sa binata na animo'y may gustong sabihin ngunit nag-aalangan. 

           "Just tell me what you want to say, Teddy," basag ni Denver sa katahimikan at ngumiti nang tipid.

          "You're not a mistake, Denver." wika ni Braylee. "I don't know if you feel like you're a mistake but still, I want you to know and remember that you are not a mistake. You exist because you have a purpose."

           Denver chuckled as he glanced at her. "And what's my purpose?"

          "Many to mention," inosenteng sambit ni Braylee. Namumugto man ang mga mata kaiiyak, sa wakas ay nagawa na nitong ngumiti kahit tipid.

          "Can't you just say one?" tanong ng binata.

          "To make me happy."

          "I knew I was a big joke." Denver joked and chuckled.

          "You make me happy," Braylee added making Denver smile.

            Muling bumuhos ang napakalakas na ulan kaya naman pansamantala munang ipinarada ni Denver ang sasakyan sa gilid ng kalsada. Napatingin si Braylee sa relo at napabuntong-hininga siya nang makitang Alas onse pa ng gabi.

            "Looks like we're stranded," ngumiti ng tipid si Braylee at napabuntong-hininga.

            "Ako lang ba ang natutuwa?" biro ni Denver.

            "Denver, yun ba yung sinabi mong malaki mong kasalanan kay Warren? Kasi naging magkapatid kayo?" pag-iiba na lamang ni Braylee ng usapan.

            "Isa 'yon," pag-amin ni Denver at humarap kay Braylee. "Nung una kasi, akala ko kami yung legal na pamilya. Bata ako kaya hindi ko pa alam kung ano ang tama. Akala ko inaagaw ni Warren ang tatay ko kaya yun, gumanti ako kay Warren at pilit ko siyang tinatalo sa lahat ng bagay. Matagal bago ko nalaman na ang nanay ko pala ang nakagawa ng mali. Nang mamatay ang nanay ni Warren, sinisi niya ako kasi inisip naming lahat na nagpakamatay siya nang malaman ang tungkol sa akin. Kung hindi ko kayo narinig ni Daddy kanina, siguro hanggang ngayon iniisip ko pang ako ang dahilan kung bakit siya nagpakamatay."

            "Maybe that was why Warren hated you, because he thought you were the reason why his Mom died." hula ni Braylee at kasabay nito ang muling pamumuo ng luha sa kanyang mga mata. 

           "Ikaw, ano yung sinabi mo noon na napakalaki mong kasalanan?" usisa naman ni Denver.

          Ngumiti muli si Braylee at hinilig ang ulo para humarap kay Denver. "Remember that time I told you I was bullied in my first year of highschool? Well after that, I was scared to be bullied again so I befriended the popular clique. I became the bully, Denver. Well, I wasn't really bullying anyone but I was there when my so-called friends bullied some of my classmates and I never did anything to stop them. I watched them bully others and sometimes, I'd talk about people behind their back. Watching them do something bad and not doing anything about it was just as bad as doing bad. I was young and scared to be bullied again but nothing will ever justify what i've done. All I have are regrets of my old actions," pag-amin ni Braylee.

          "Siguro hindi mo na ako mahal pagkatapos ng nalaman mo," pabirong sambit ni Braylee.

         Napabuntong-hininga si Denver at tiningnan si Braylee na animo'y nababagot. "Akala ko kung anong kasalanan ang nagawa mo. Yun lang pala."

           "Hey! Bullying is no small matter! Bullying gets people killed! Bullying kills dreams and happiness!" giit ni Braylee habang nakabusangot dahilan para muling matawa si Denver.

          "Fuck, why do you have to look so cute all the time," may panggi-gigil nitong sambit at umaktong pipisilin ang pisngi ni Braylee kaya agad na umilag ang dalaga.

        "Why do you have to cuss all the time?!" ganti naman ni Braylee at pinanlisikan ng mata ang binata. 

         "Kapag tumigil ako sa pagmumura, sasagutin mo na ba ako?" Denver grinned, making her blush.

         "Hindi ka pa nanliligaw diba?" Naguguluhang sambit ni Braylee habang naka-pout.

         "Anong hindi?!" napabusangot si Denver.

         "Anong anong hindi?" tanong naman ni Braylee.

         "Anong anong anong hindi?" lumitaw ang pilyong ngisi sa mukha ni Denver.

          "Wala kang kwentang kausap," reklamo ni Braylee dahilan para matawa si Denver.

         "I can't believe Braylee Emanuel just said that," natatawang sambit ni Denver.

         "Told you, I'm a strong independent and evil cutie," pagmamalaki ni Braylee.

          Unti-unting naglaho ang ngiti sa mukha ni Denver habang nakatitig sa mukha ni Braylee. Mabilis naman itong napansin ng dalaga.

         "Why are you looking at me like that?" tanong ni Braylee nang mapansing nag-iba ang emosyon sa mukha nito, para bang nag-aalala.

          "I like it better when you cry," sabi nito bagay na ikinagulat niya.

         "Ano?" nagulat si Braylee.

         "When you cry, at least I know that you're sad. But when you smile, I don't know if it's genuine or you're just hiding your pain. You worry me, Braylee." sambit ni Denver dahilan para unti-unting maglaho ang ngiti sa mukha ng dalaga.

         They stayed like that for awhile, looking into each other's eyes, getting lost in each other's gaze. She felt consoled and warm. He felt nothing but worry.

          "Denver," she breaks the silence by uttering his name.

          "Huh?" Denver asks, she takes a deep breath and continues to look at him in the eyes.

           "Now that Warren is sick, he's going to need us the most. I am one of Warren's best friend, nothing more and nothing less. I want to be by Warren's side because he had always been a good friend to me. I'm saying this because I don't want to see that dark expression in your face every time I'm with him. Call me assuming but I don't want you to be jealous again." She says with utmost sincerity.

         He was moved by her words but he still had to say it. "Then give me one good reason to not get jealous or threatened every time you're with my brother or just any other fucker."

         She could not bear to look at him in the eyes anymore. Her lips trembled as her eyes darted to the floor. "B-because I don't like them, the way I like you. I'm going to be honest... I'm not sure if I love you but I can tell you that I really really like you, Denver Hawthorn." 

         A smile immediately formed in Denver's face. "That's enough for me." He gently held her cheek and slowly moved his face closer to hers. He captures her gaze and looks at her as if he's asking for permission. Even if there were no words uttered between them, it was as if Braylee understood what he meant. 

          She nodded and closed her eyes as his lips reached hers. It was a gentle kiss, he was being careful with her the way he's always been to her. 

         As their lips parted, Denver smiled but Braylee immediately faced the window as she tried hard to hide the redness in her cheeks and the smile that crept up her lips.

END OF CHAPTER 46!

THANKS FOR READING!

VOTE AND COMMENT <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3M 145K 72
[THE BADASS BABYSITTER] Para sa isang Presidente ng bansa, malaki ang expectation nito sa mga anak niya. You should be the best for him to be proud o...
Socorro By Binibining Mia

Historical Fiction

1.1M 69.1K 27
De Avila Series #1 "Wattys 2022 Grand Prize Winner" Known as the most stubborn and troublemaker daughter of the De Avila family, nothing stops Socorr...
121K 5.5K 26
PUBLISHED BY: VIVA PSICOM PUBLISHING CORP "Dear Kung Sino Ka Man, Totoo ba ang sinasabi nila na lahat ng tao ay may true love? Na lahat tayo ay binig...
923K 56.6K 93
Hello Duology, Book #1 || Just when I thought I got over from the ghost of the past, another person started haunting me.