Grey Skies

By forest898

❝I don't wanna be saved❞ ❝We're not trying to save you, we're trying to help you❞ After his parents died in a... More

Grey Skies
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8

Chapter 2 PRESENT DAY

25 0 0
By forest898

The whistle blew. “Move it ladies! Come on! Let’s go!” Coach Ralph yelled.

          I got into hiking position and the whistle blew again. The tackler in front of me had me on the ground in a second.

          “Mitchell! Get your ass over here!” The coach yelled.

          I sighed and got up. I removed my helmet when I got to the coach. “Yes sir?”

          “Get your butt into gear, or I’m kicking you off the team.”

          “I’m trying.”

          “Well, you aren’t trying hard enough! Get your head into the game or you could kiss your ass off the team.”

          I nod. “Yes.”

          Coach blew his whistle. I went back to my spot and got ready for more tackling. Justin Long is my partner. He ran at me and I grabbed him, grabbing his shoulders and pushing him back. I groaned in pain and he pushed me into the ground. Justin gave me his hand. I grabbed it and he helped me up.

          Every time we did tackle runs, I always failed. I kept landing on the ground over and over again. Justin ran it in while I stayed back. My stomach was in a lot of pain and I could feel bruises forming over my stomach.

          I sighed and took off my clothes, grabbed my towel and headed over to the showers. Everyone was gone by now. I rested my head against the tile and let the water run down my face, my dog tag necklace getting wet in the process. A stray tear fell down my face, blending in with the water instantly.

After my shower, I threw the towel back on and went back to my locker to put my jeans on. I did that and looked down at where the bruises were forming. Justin walked up to me and sat down. He saw the bruises on my stomach.

          “I’m sorry.” He said.

          “It’s fine.”

          I picked up my shirt and threw it on. I put my lock on and slammed the door shut. Justin stared at me.

          “I gotta go. See you tomorrow.”

          I nod as he was leaving.

The sky was grey with overcast. Rain was slowly beginning to fall. I held out my hand to watch the rain fall. Car horns honked and people were screaming like there was no tomorrow. I shoved my hands into the pockets of my leather jacket. A cool breeze caused me to shiver.

          Then I hit someone.

          “Sorry.” I whispered.

          “Watch where you’re going punk!” And I was pulled into the alley next to us.

          He threw me to the ground and my knee scraped against the pavement. I fumbled for my blade. This guy was my worst enemy, Jeremy. He stomped on my arm with his boot and kept me where I was. I watched him take my hand out of my pocket and grabbed my blade.

          “Well, is this what you’re huntin’ for?” He chuckled and studied it. “Too bad I’m gonna have to ruin it.” Jeremy threw my blade at the brick wall and it landed on the pavement with a thud.

          “Back off.” I whispered.

          “You really think baby talk will work?” He spat on the ground next to me.

          I didn’t respond.

          Before I knew it, I was picked up by two sets of big hands. Jeremy got too close for comfort. I felt his fists go past my face. It struck me hard. I pushed myself out of the grip of the guys that where holding me. “This is the kid I know.” I ran towards Jeremy, but he had me down in a second. “But he’s still so weak.”

          I felt the bruises start to burn on my stomach. Blood dripped out of my nose. Jeremy let out one more blow to the face and that’s when I gave up.

          “Step away from the kid.” A deep voice said.

          “Aw, is big brother gonna help the baby?” Jeremy said in a baby voice.

          Before I knew it, I was gone.

“Someone’s gotta stay with him.” I heard someone say.

          “Like how? Tell me that, Chris!”

          “My friend Brandon can help. He’s only a year younger than me. He can drive him back and forth to school.”

          “I wonder how long he’ll keep it up!”

          “I thought that kid right. He knows to bring his blade with him.”

          “And how long did that work?”

          I groaned and opened my eyes to a dark room. There were a couple lamps on, casting lights on the walls and it was dark outside. Ashton stormed off into room as Chris came over and pulled a chair up next to me.

          “Hey, little guy.”

          “How long was I out?”

          “Only a couple hours.”

          I nod and sit up. I ran my hands through my hair. Chris got up and left. I got up and looked in the mirror in the bathroom. My arm was bruised where Jeremy’s boot pinned it down and I have a scratch going across my right cheek, the scratch was surrounded by red and it was swelling.

          The bruises on my stomach still burned. I hissed in pain as my hand touched the bruises. The phone in the other room began to ring.

          When I picked it up, there was no one there – just heavy breathing. I put the phone back on to the holder. I was beginning to walk away it began ringing again.

          I looked at it.

          “Chris!” I called.

          He was in the room in a split second. “What’s wrong?”

          “Answer the phone.”

          He sighed and did. I walked up close to the phone. “You are going to die. Next time I see you, you’ll be dead before your eyes.” The voice through the phone said.

          Chris put the phone back down on to the holder. He looked at me with worried eyes and left.

Another argument was coming to the surface with Chris and Ashton. I grabbed my book bag and headed off for school without them seeing me. One of Chris’s friends was waiting for me.

          “Chris said that you are no longer walking alone from school. After the phone call and the fight, I’ll be your guard temporarily.” Brandon said.

          “I know.” I said. “Chris told me everything.”

          “I’m just saying. It’s better safe than sorry.”

          I sighed.

          Thankfully, I have my license, but I don’t have a car. The trees zoomed past. School was just around the corner, but I wasn’t prepared for what was ready to come.

          “I’ll be here around two fifty. How does that sound?”

          “Good, I guess.” I muttered and got out of the car.

“Adam!” Someone called. Small footsteps came running up to me.

          “Hey, Melody,” I said and continued putting books in to my locker. “How are you?”

          “I’m fine. What about you?”

          “Not the best.” I admitted.

          “Is it about the fight between you and Jeremy?” I looked at her. Melody’s face turned red with embarrassment. “Sorry.”

          I heard angry footsteps come up to us. “Melody, God damn it! Why the hell are you talking to Mr. Pretty Boy?” Greg grabbed her arm.

          “Let me go!”

          Melody dropped her book bag and all her books and other things fell out of it. I knelt down and helped her clean up the mess. Greg scoffed and left. The first period bell rang. I continued to help Melody.

          “Shouldn’t you get to class?”

          I shrugged. “It doesn’t matter. It’ll be my second tardy anyways.”

          Melody finished cleaning up. She pushed the bag up on to her shoulder and sighed. I began to walk away when she stopped me.

         “Hey, I just wanted to say thanks for helping me.” Melody smiled.

          “No problem.” I said and let out a small smile.

          I headed to first period as Melody and me parted ways.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

94.1K 2.3K 27
[COMPLETED] What if your life changed dramatically? How would you cope? When 15 year old Tris lost her parents aged four, she didn't think life could...
53.9K 3.2K 14
His sister's suicide destroyed him. Left him rotting from the inside out. His misery was so strong sometimes he couldn't breathe, think, or feel. So...
2.4K 54 45
"Everyone has scars, just not all of them can be seen" 12 months is only a short period of time to heal. A short period of time to forget everything...
5.9K 269 38
Beca Mitchell has a secret, she tried to hide it, but it got out. What happens when someone comes back with threats? How will she cope? Is she as saf...