What the Tide Brings

By jms777

[COMPLETED] She was the most beautiful creature he had ever seen. She was ethereal and mystical and utterly i... More

Prologue - Bedtime Story
Chapter 1 - Liam - Washed Ashore
Chapter 2 - Liam - Healing Touch
Chapter 3 - Liam - A Fish Story
Chapter 4 - Liam - Third Degree
Chapter 5 - Liam - They Don't Have Hamburgers in Iceland
Chapter 6 - Kaelin - A Song of Sorrow
Chapter 7 - Liam - The Lighthouse
Chapter 8 - Liam - Breathing Underwater
Chapter 9 - Liam - The Boardwalk
Chapter 10 - Liam - The Old Shack
Chapter 11 - Kaelin - A Waltz Among the Waves
Chapter 12 - Kaelin - Green-Eyed Monster
Chapter 13 - Liam - Expect the Unexpected
Chapter 14 - Kaelin - The Ties that Bind
Chapter 15 - Liam - Stay with Me
Chapter 16 - Kaelin - Ambush
Chapter 17 - Liam - Rescue
Chapter 18 - Liam - Something Weird
Chapter 19 - Kaelin - Hot & Bothered
Chapter 20 - Liam - Complicated
Chapter 21 - Kaelin - A Painful Thought
Chapter 22 - Liam - How Do You Know?
Chapter 23 - Liam - Breakthrough
Chapter 24 - Liam - Our Song
Chapter 25 - Kaelin - Confronting the Past
Chapter 26 - Liam - Kaelin's Secret
Chapter 27 - Liam - Too Much of a Good Thing
Chapter 28 - Kaelin - Discovered
Chapter 29 - Liam - Fade Away
Chapter 30 - Kaelin - Epiphany
Chapter 31 - Amaya - Repercussions
Chapter 32 - Liam - Torn
Chapter 33 - Kaelin - Oncoming Storm
Chapter 34 - Liam - Run for Cover
Chapter 35 - Amaya - Tumultous
Chapter 36 - Kaelin - Against the Tide
Chapter 37 - Liam - Believe It or Not
Chapter 38 - Kaelin - Stand Together
Chapter 39 - Liam - Beneath the Surface
Chapter 40 - Kaelin - Twenty Questions
Chapter 41 - Liam - Regrouping
Chapter 42 - Kaelin - Breaking Point
Chapter 44 - Liam - The Best Thing to Do
Chapter 45 - Kaelin - A Surprising Development
Chapter 46 - Liam - Helping Hand
Chapter 47 - Kaelin - The Mermaid's Touch
Chapter 48 - Liam - Building Pressure
Chapter 49 - Liam - What Happened
Chapter 50 - Liam - The Lucky One
Chapter 51 - Kaelin - Farewell Song
Epilogue - Kaelin - Rising Tides
Companion Story - A New Tide Rising

Chapter 43 - Kaelin - The Truth Revealed

230 13 0
By jms777

Kaelin, Amaya, and Calder ran out into the storm and made their way to the boardwalk, fighting against the hurricane strength winds that were uprooting trees. Kaelin grabbed Amaya by the arm and pulled her back a step, narrowly avoiding a stop sign that careened across their paths. It moved as fast as the harpoons from Liam's gun, which Calder had hanging over his shoulder.

Amaya gave Kaelin a look of gratitude. She clearly said "Thanks," but her words were swallowed up and carried away on the wind.

The gates of the boardwalk were closed and locked for the night, so Kaelin had to break the chain. She discarded it on the ground and pushed on the gate. The wind took hold of it and made it swing wide open before it slammed against the wall inside, leaving a few of the wooden fence planks cracked.

The three of them rushed inside just as another gust caught the gate and swung it back around to shut with a loud bang.

They rushed to the end of the boardwalk, past the booths that were shaking in the immense pressure winds. Even the large Ferris wheel wasn't immune from the storm. The metal made terrible creaks and groans. Kaelin had to wonder if it was going to come tumbling down.

Kaelin stopped at the railing overlooking the harsh waves that were growing so violent they were splashing over onto the boardwalk. Not that it mattered, the rain had sufficiently soaked them. Their clothes clung tightly to their skin. Calder had abandoned his boots when they started to fill with water, weighing him down, meanwhile Kaelin's and Amaya's gel foot coverings had already washed away.

Kaelin held her hands out toward her siblings. They each took hold. Just as it had taken their combined magic to craft the wall, it would take their shared power to bring it down, each undoing their part.

Kaelin could sense the magic unraveling until it had all dissipated. The wall was now nothing more than a hunk of regular ice. It stood no chance against the savage storm.

It only took one bolt of lightning to create a million fissures in the ice. The entire wall of ice tumbled into the ocean.

It didn't take long for the storm to wash away all evidence of the wall's existence, except for a few glaciers that were tossed about in the waves, each about the size of a small car.

Kaelin and the others ran back the way they'd come. When they halfway down the boardwalk, to the place where the land met the sea. The tide was so high now that there barely any beach to be seen.

Still, they leapt over the railing. Each landed in the sand below with ease.

Each of them took up a defensive position, twenty feet between them. They wanted to be close in case they needed to help each other, but not so close that they could get hurt by a stray blast of magic.

Kaelin planted her feet in the sand, digging in her heels, waiting for the Southern Clan to come after them. She let her hands begin the transformation back to their true form, so she could use her talons to attack.

"They're coming!" Amaya's shout could barely be heard over the roaring winds; if they'd had human hearing, it would've been lost completely. She was gesturing emphatically toward the water.

Kaelin looked out at the ocean. She spotted the golden tails zipping through the water, so close to the surface, headed straight towards them. As they drew nearer, a few of them leapt from the water to sail over a particularly large wave that might slow them down.

A moment later, a dozen gold tailed merpeople rocketed from the waves. Their bodies glowed brightly as they began their transformation. When they landed they were all in the in-between state. They were not entirely merpeople, nor were they entirely human.

They raised their weapons, ready to attack. Those that had no weapon held up their hands to expose their claws, which could easily slice metal, so they would have no trouble cutting through skin. The warriors were certainly not deterred from harming Kaelin and her siblings.

Arlen slowly walked forward and locked eyes with Kaelin. "We can avoid bloodshed, if you'll just comply. Do you really want to be the reason that your brother and sister die horribly?"

Kaelin looked over at Amaya, who was glaring fiercely, ready for anything. She then turned to Calder. He met her gaze. She could see his determination. Kaelin didn't think he would stand down even if she wanted him to.

Besides, all of this was just to buy time. They were trying to stall until help could arrive.

Finally, Kaelin found Arlen's pale green eyes again. "I'm sorry, Arlen. I was never very good at compliance."

He chuckled softly, as if he expected that answer. His lips curved into a smirk. He was obviously pleased by her answer. He wanted to fight.

Arlen nodded, without another word, and the warriors rushed toward the three of them, all alone, except for one another.

Amaya swept her arms through the air, gathering the rain into a sphere in front of her. Then, she pushed her hands forward and sent the ball towards an enormous merman charging her. At such a high speed, the water ball was as solid as stone and the man was knocked off his feet.

Calder leapt forward, covering nearly fifteen feet in two seconds. He swung with his fists, knocking down one after another of the warriors. He used a bit of magic to freeze rain and flung the icy pellets at them, which sliced their skin like blades.

Kaelin faced Arlen, holding her clawed hands out to her sides, ready for his advance. But something still weighed on her. Her heart was still heavy with what she'd done to Zale. It was self-defense, so she could hardly be blamed. No human court would convict her. He had been actively trying to kill her. However, she felt the need to apologize, even if it changed nothing. "I'm sorry about your brother. I never wanted to hurt anyone."

Arlen cracked a smile. There was a darkness in his eyes, though they remained the same shade of green they'd always been. "You didn't kill my brother, you stupid little fool."

Her breath caught, a sharp pang of shock shot through her chest as a tingle travelled down her spine. "What?" She shook her head. She had stabbed  Zale through the heart. She saw his face go slack. She watched as he sank toward the city below with the wreckage of the meeting chamber.

"My brother survived the wound you gave him. It was an impressive blow. Right in the neck. However, you missed everything important by this much." He held his thumb and index finger a hairbreadth apart. "After you escaped, I found him buried in the ice from the chamber. Ironically, that slowed down his heart, so he didn't bleed as much."

"He's not dead?" Kaelin almost smiled at the revelation. She wasn't a murderer after all. That was a huge weight lifted off her chest. She'd been tormented by Zale's face for years.

"Oh, no, he's dead." Arlen said.

Kaelin was confused. "You just said..."

"I said you didn't kill him." Arlen interrupted. "I was the first to find him. He begged for my help. Then, I slit his throat and watched him bleed out."

Kaelin gaped, stunned. She couldn't imagine wanting one of siblings dead, let alone doing the job herself. "Why would you do that?"

Arlen was perfectly calm as he said, "Because my brother wanted to be the sole ruler of the clans. I disagreed."

"And what did your father have to say about that? I always thought Zale was his favorite."

Arlen laughed out loud, genuinely amused. "My father can't say anything without my permission. He's been under the Thrall for decades."

Kaelin was shocked. She'd thought this whole plan was Moab's, but he wasn't complicit, at all. He was just another pawn. Arlen was the real evil.

"My brother and I have been the true decision makers of our clan. Our father was a foolish decrepit fossil. He was content being a small part of the whole, deferring to the wisdom of the other Elders." His voice contained such vitriol. "My family was born to rule the oceans. You know, we did once. When wars were the determination of leaders and boundaries."

He wasn't wrong about that. It was part of their history. The warriors from the South used to rule over everything, until the kataw came. It was their arrogance that allowed the kataw to overpower them, stupidly trying to beat them with brute force, when the kataw were much stronger physically than any of the mers. Those who weren't slaughtered were given the Thrall.

"You're crazy." Kaelin spat. Her voice was nearly swallowed by the howling of the winds and the cacophony of the waves.

"I am a visionary." Arlen held his arms out wide. "And once I've conquered the waters, I'll turn my sights to this world that's given you shelter, which you seem to love so much."

He flashed a smile that made her sick to the stomach as he reached a hand up to the sky. A purple bolt of lighting streaked across the black sky to strike the Ferris wheel. The metal groaned and whined, the beams twisting until the whole wheel started to topple. It fell slowly at first, then it just dropped, like a boulder, heavily into the water, taking the end of the boardwalk with it.

"I shall wipe every human off the face of the planet. Starting with that pathetic boy you love, and his family."

Kaelin gritted her teeth. "Not if I have anything to say about it."

"Dead mermaids cannot say anything." Arlen pulled his sharkbone sword from the sheath on the chain around his waist. He waved his hand for her to come at him. "But do try your hardest. I love a challenge."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.4K 1.1K 22
Sylvia Okenji expected her final year of school to go like any other; surviving her classes, making memories with her friends, and not ripping her ta...
31.7K 5.7K 154
One of the most painful things on earth is to lose a loved one. Whether in death or heartbreak. It's a pain different from all others. You feel ever...
249 4 75
Think you know mermaids? Think again. (Think underwater Twilight) **** "Our waters are changing. We've known it for a while now. We can sense it. We...
9.1K 535 16
"Your Highness, there has to be another way." Dad said. "I'm sorry but it has to be done. I'll miss you my babygirl but you can't stay. One day, I wi...