Broken Strings

By simbaze

Anisha Hayes stayed in a broken marriage for fourteen years, just so she could give her children the family s... More

N O T E
P R O L O G U E
C O V E R S
F I V E M O N T H S A G O
C H A P T E R O N E
C H A P T E R T W O
C H A P T E R T H R E E
C H A P T E R F O U R
C H A P T E R F I V E
C H A P T E R S I X
C H A P T E R S E V E N
C H A P T E R E I G H T
C H A P T E R N I N E
C H A P T E R T E N
C H A P T E R E L E V E N
C H A P T E R T W E L V E
C H A P T E R T H I R T E E N
C H A P T E R F O U R T E E N
C H A P T E R F I F T E E N
C H A P T E R S I X T E E N
Q & A
C H A P T E R S E V E N T E E N
C H A P T E R E I G H T E E N
T H E I C E C R E A M S H O P
C H A P T E R N I N E T E E N
C H A P T E R T W E N T Y
C H A P T E R T W E N T Y - O N E
E X T R A C H A P T E R
C H A P T E R T W E N T Y - T W O
H O W I T A L L S T A R T E D
C H A P T E R T W E N T Y - T H R E E
C H A P T E R T W E N T Y - F O U R
C H A P T E R T W E N T Y - F I V E
C H A P T E R T W E N T Y - S I X
C H A P T E R T W E N T Y - S E V E N
C H A P T E R T W E N T Y - N I N E
C H A P T E R T H I R T Y
C H A P T E R T H I R T Y - O N E
B O N U S C H A P T E R
C H A P T E R T H I R T Y - T W O
C H A P T E R T H I R T Y - T H R E E
C H A P T E R T H I R T Y - F O U R
C H A P T E R T H I R T Y - F I V E
C H A P T E R T H I R T Y - S I X
T H E F U N E R A L
6 : 2 1
G L A S S S L I P P E R S
A N D R E W
S E B A S T I A N
B O O K S

C H A P T E R T W E N T Y - E I G H T

49.5K 2K 344
By simbaze

"I wanna know where does love go to die
Is it some sad empty castle in the sky."

- but we lost it x pink

▼▲▼▲▼ ▼▲▼▲▼ ▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼

Andrew stared at the text. It was the first time Anisha had ever texted in a really long time.

Buy me roses.

Roses. Anisha wanted roses.

He couldn't even remember the last time he'd bought her flowers or anything else. Nor could he remember the last time she'd asked for him to buy her something.

"Sir, you have a meeting in five."

He looked up from his phone to find his new PA standing in the doorway. Then he looked down at his phone, staring at her message.

"I need to go. Cancel the meeting."

Andrew quickly stood up, grabbing his phone and suit jacket. His phone ringing with another text.

Meet me at the ice cream shop. The one by the pier.

"But they can't reschedule. We need this deal to make up for the losses from the last quarter."

He shrugged, ignoring her as he walked out of his office.

One chance. He had this one chance to save whatever was left of his marriage. He had this one chance to fix things with his wife.

He was going to make things right.

▯▮▮▯▮▯▮▯▮▯▮▯▯▮▯▮▮▯▮▯▮▯▮▯▮▯▯▮

Note - Franco was Cassie's ex-boyfriend 

Anisha looked out the glass window. She'd found a table in the corner of the small bakery, secluded and far away from everyone else.

She glanced outside, looking at the beautiful waves and cloudy sky before she looked back down at her phone.

She scrolled up and down on her contact list, staring at Andrew's name for a few seconds before she finally clicked it on and typed in a text.

She wanted him to buy her roses, pink roses. And she wanted him to meet her at the pier.

At the place he'd first kissed her, she'd tell him her final goodbye.

"Are you ready to order?" Anisha looked up as the waiter asked for the second time that morning.

"Just a glass of water, please." She smiled softly before looking back down at her phone.

Franco had texted her that he'd left home more than thirty minutes ago. But then again, she hadn't talked to him after Cassie's funeral. She had no idea where he even lived or if he had moved on.

Her heart fluttered and she let out a small laugh as the door opened and Franco walked in, a baby girl in his arms and a little girl running around in front of him.

She slowly stood up as he made his way over to her. Her bony fingers grasped onto the edge of the table as she struggled to stand up.

She felt a little dizzy and she couldn't remember if she had taken her pills that morning. She'd been in a rush to meet Sebastian. And now, she couldn't even remember if she had taken the pills.

"Um..." Her lips parted as she struggled to say something. Her eyes kept darting from the baby girl cuddled in his arms to the little girl who kept running around in circles around her father. She smiled up at Franco as he gave her a quick side hug before getting the high baby seat for his daughter.

The guilt was a little easier for her now. Because Franco had moved on. And because he had done so, the guilt was a little easier for her.

"Hi." Anisha breathed out the word, before she slumped down to sit, unable to stand on her own two feet any longer.

"Hey." Franco gave her a warm smile before turning to his daughters. "This is Mia and she's three."

"And this is Cassandra, five months." He put the pacifier in her mouth just as she started making crying noises. "I'm so sorry. My wife works night shifts at the hospital and the babysitter couldn't watch them today. Also, I figured you'd want to meet them."

"Cassandra?" Anisha nodded as Cassandra squirmed in her seat.

"For Cassie."

Anisha looked at Mia, his three year old daughter as she took her father's phone and started playing some dress-up game on it.

"And um, we, I mean Cassie and me, we wanted to call our daughter Emilia and Mia for short. So um yea."

Anisha let out a heavy breath, her lips trembling. She folded her hands together on top of the table.

"I'm so sorry." She shook her head as he reached for her hand. He gave her hand a small squeeze. "I'm so sorry about everything. Cassie, I mean-"

"It's fine. It's been years, Anisha." He paused as he looked around the small bakery. "How are you and Andrew? I ugh called Dianne a few years after, right before I got married and she told me you two had a son?"

Anisha bit her lip before she looked outside again. She could see the pier lights, bright during the cloudy day. "Yea, I have a son, Ryan. He's amazing."

Her voice quavered a little and her eyes became a little glossy as she thought about her children. "And a daughter, Mira. She's honestly the best. I don't know. I just feel like the luckiest mother in the world because of them two."

"That's amazing." Franco motioned for a waiter before looking back at Anisha. "And Andrew?"

Anisha's smile slowly faded and she quickly looked out the window again, hiding behind a fake smile.

"He's fine. We're perfectly fine."

She widened her smiling, a smile she'd faked for years.

"You're married?" She looked at the ring on his finger before she reached to grab a napkin.

Anisha grabbed a napkin from the container just as the waiter walked by to take Franco's order.

"I'll take a regular coffee and a blueberry muffin. Can I also get a small hot chocolate and a slice of coffee cake?" Franco turned back to Anisha as she coughed. "Anisha, what did you want?"

Anisha coughed, a short but harsh cough. She quickly folded the napkin, crumbling it to hide the stains of blood she'd coughed. "I'm fine. I'm not hungry."

He eyed her, skeptically. "Not even a chocolate muffin?"

She shook her head, offering a faint smile.

"Wow, last time I checked you loved chocolate muffins."

"It's been fourteen years, Francisco." She nodded as the waiter walked away. "Things change."

She awkwardly looked around the bakery. She didn't even know why she'd called him. She didn't know what she wanted to say to him. She guessed she just wanted to apologize. Like she had been her entire life.

"It's been so long. You know I was surprised when you called me last week."

"I spent an hour stalking every Francisco Ramirez that I could find on Facebook." Anisha laughed softly before looking back at him.

Happiness was all around him. His dark brown eyes were bright, filled with hope and love. Unlike the last time she'd seen him, weary and heartbroken at Cassie's funeral.

"How have you been?" She asked him the question, sincerely.

"Pretty good actually. I mean a lot better, now. I guess it takes some time for things to get better. But I'm happy, really perfectly happy." A gentle laugh filed his sentence. "I mean after everything with Cassie I didn't even think that I'd be able to move on. She fucked everything up and at first I hated her for doing what she did, the way she did what she did. We could've gotten through things, together. And she didn't want that."

"So she took the easy way out." He huffed a little. He still missed her, he'd gotten over it but still, sometimes he just did.

Anisha wanted to argue and tell him he had it all wrong. Cassie hadn't taken the easy way out. Because it was the way out that Anisha herself had contemplated for long. It wasn't the easy way out. It wasn't. But in a way, it was.

Anisha could've easily ended the pain. The razor and the bottle of pills had been within reach, just like they had been for Cassie. But for Anisha, it certainly hadn't felt like the easy way out.

"I thought you'd be more understanding. Especially you Franco. You lost someone you loved and I thought you'd be more understanding. You'd understand that some people, they can only pretend to be strong for so long." Anisha was whispering, her tone accusatory.

"That sooner or later, some things for some people just get too much. That some things just get too hard."

"Too hard? You're fucking kidding Anisha. So what if the baby wasn't healthy, me and her, we could've gotten through things together."

Anisha shook her head, almost apologetically. "I know. I'm just sorry. I hated her too, you know. I hated her at first because of what she did. She was selfish and she didn't think about how her death would affect everyone around her. She only cared about her own pain, all about herself."

"But then, I was her."

Anisha played with her hands, her eyes cast down.

"Some days, I'd be all alone and everything would just be too much. Just like everything was too much for her. Too much, I don't even know what it is. But I know what it feels like."

"Too much would be when the house would be quiet and the kids would be at school. I would sit on my bed and cry. The walls would close in on me and I'd wrap the blankets around me, to keep my demons away. I could never feel anything or think because everything would overwhelm me. I'd just sit there and cry. I had no idea what to do and everything, it just felt like it was ending. And cry, it was all I could do. And then, I'd think how easy it would be for me to disappear. How easy it would be to slide a razor across my wrists and cut so deep that my pain could finally disappear."

Anisha sniffled a little, rubbing her nose as a few tears fell down. "I know what it's like to be alone, be heartbroken and unloved. I know the feeling of not being good enough, no matter what you do. I know what it's like to constantly have to beg someone to love you."

"But more than anything, I know how it feels to wish that everything would just stop already."

She slowly looked back up at him, wiping away her tears. His eyebrows drawn together as she let the facade she'd built fade away.

"Maybe Cassie took the easy way out. But maybe it was the only way out for her. Because you have no idea how hard it is to pretend to be happy. You have no idea how hard it is to continuously convince yourself that things will get better. So truthfully, I don't know if she took the easy way out. It wasn't the right way out but fuck, you can suffer for so long."

"Anisha, I..."

Anisha sobbed, burring her face in her hands. Her cries were a little muffled as she slowly willed herself to just talk.

To just talk, even though she wanted to get up and run out of the bakery, away from Franco.

"Anisha, I didn't say that. I know what it's like to lose someone you love. You know." Franco slowly shut up as the waiter walked back with his order. He looked at Anisha as she grabbed a napkin, wiping away her tears.

His daughters were too preoccupied to notice the somber aura around him and the woman he was seeing for the first time in fourteen years.

He smiled softly, picking at the blueberry muffin placed in front of him. "You know, we planned our life together. Cassie wanted to wait until the baby was two before we'd get married, just so she could be our flower girl. She always joked about getting married in Spain because my parents are still back there. And she wanted a house by the beach."

"All of a sudden, it was all gone. Everything we wanted, together, everything we planned, it all just disappeared. All gone."

"I loved her and she killed herself. There's nothing that can justify what she did or why did it, Anisha. But you know, I know what it's like to walk into your house and find the woman you love on the floor with empty bottles around her and a container of pills in her hands. I know what it's like to lose everything you've ever wanted in the span of a few seconds."

Anisha's breathing slowly became sparse. She placed a hand on her forehead. It was her fault.

"I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry. It's my fault." It was all her fucking fault. Andrew said so and Anisha knew it was. "It's all my fault. I'm so sorry."

"What the hell are you talking about, Anisha? It's only Cassie's fault and that's it. You're a doctor, you know better than anyone that sometimes it's just luck. Sometimes it's just how things are."

Anisha shook her head, sobbing and looking down at her lap.

Franco didn't blame her but he should. He should blame her.

It wasn't even about what had happened at the hospital the day Cassie had been admitted. It was about a week before that. It was Anisha's fault. She'd carried around the guilt long enough.

"Cassie overdosed on Xanax." She choked down a sob that filled her, her voice shaky nonetheless. "Cassie overdosed on Xanax and I was the one who prescribed it."

○●○●○○●○●●○●○●○●○●○○●○●●○●○●

This was not I planned to write this chapter but I had a few days of writer's block and I finally figured out the next three chapters.

I appreciate and tips all of your comments from the last chapter. I went along with the idea that most of you had that Andrew should find the truth out from a third person instead of Anisha telling him.

Well, let's just say Anisha's end is near :)

Next chapter : 750 votes :) There's only seven chapters left, not including the epilogues.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34K 2.5K 31
Ragini sanskar story... Mending my relationship... We Know that it can take a long time to rebuild trust after getting cheated by dear ones. .. Ragi...
283K 8.2K 32
"You should have told me before that you weren't interested in me" I yelled at my so called husband Samad. Tears were rolling down my cheeks. "Jawari...
541K 15.1K 42
Sarah Hudson was married and happy but that was until her husband cheated on her. Her husband begged for another chance and promised to be faithful f...
46.2K 4K 41
It wasn't romantic or easy. It was just something that happened." "God! Was it worth ruining everything?" "It wasn't. Dhruv, it happened. I don't w...