A smile for Dee (I'm currentl...

By De2ire

It started with a smile. Except Delilah didn't smile, in fact she stopped smiling. This is how this story beg... More

Prologue: A smile for Dee
Chapter one: The Beginning
Chapter two: Reuniting
Chapter three: the first...
Chapter Four: Slurring words
Chapter Five: whispered secrets and hidden letters, part I
Chapter five: Whispered secrets and hidden letters part II
Memoir: 29th June 2010
Chapter six: New encounters
Chapter Eight: Haunted lullaby's and desperate warnings...
Chapter Nine: Unwanted guests and new suspicions
Chapter Ten: Accidental findings...
Memoir: 3rd of June 2008
Authors note

Chapter Seven: Old Friends

237 27 8
By De2ire

vote, comment and enjoy!

Previously on chapter six: (Bianca’s p.o.v)

“I know Jayne! She’s who I haven’t seen yet, oh my god where is she I miss tha-”

“Shh, you don’t say her name like that! What is wrong with you?”

“Why not?” I asked, slightly confused and feeling a little stupid after my little outburst.

“You don’t know what happened to Jayne? Of course you don’t, look at you screaming out her name like it’s the most normal thing to do.” Taking a cautious step back, Samuel looked at me confused.

“What happened to her?” the two of us asked, red headed boy looked between the two of us nervously.

“If you don’t know, it’s best we keep that way.”

Chapter Seven:

Bianca’s p.o.v

An uneasy feeling lurks in the back of my mind, all because of Jayne. I hadn’t been able to find Delilah after the whole incident. The rest of the day flew by with neither Samuel nor I being able to press the red head again. After his statement about Jayne, the kid ran off leaving Samuel and I with questions hanging. The final bell of the day rang throughout the school, students leaving the building in a flurry. With Delilah still out of sight, I walk in tow with Samuel to the front gates.

“So who’s Jayne and how do you know her?” finally breaking the silence, Samuel stared at me curiously. Unfolding my crossed arms I stop briefly as a few students push pass us.

“Jayne is Dee’s friend, the only close one here in this dump. As to how I know her, just after you left Aschem, without letting me know, might I add. I actually came to visit Dee here, and that is how I met Jayne.”

“Sorry bout that...” Samuel replied grimly.

“What? That just months after May moves you suddenly disappear, leaving the school without telling me anything. Or are you sorry for not calling me not once until one week ago?”

“I, I really can’t explain myself. Not now at least. I just need you to trust me okay?” Again with the trust shit! Glaring annoyingly at Samuel I leaned onto the rusting school gates.

“Just trust me. Okay?” he pleaded.

“Fine, but what now? We know about the nightmares, the thing with tom, that Maysee chic also changed and that something happened to Jayne. So what do we do now?”

“we bug, Delilah’s room.”

Delilah’s p.o.v

Cradling my sore wrist, I press into the newly bruised flesh. Pain rushes through my veins. Releasing my tight hold, I enter my barren room.  The grey walls greet me, my long forgotten easel sitting in the furthest corner, unassembled and picking up dust. Unclasping the platinum chain around my neck I place it inside the closest draw. It was their gift to me, before everything. Before I changed, before things went out of control and it happened. Poor Jayne, the victim of it all.  Now she’s the ghost of this town. And it’s my entire fault.

Dumping my bag at the edge of my bed I crawl under my covers. My arms snake their way around my waist. Biting on my lip I wait anxiously for them to come.

“How do you live with yourself, you’re the reason I’m like this!” her voice screeches at me. Her black hair matted, a bruise forming around her left eye. The grey eyes I’ve come to love, emotionless and dull.

“Look what you’ve done to me, God dammit LOOK AT ME DELILAH!” Her soft, angelic voice always rises at this point, anger radiates from her body. She stands a metre from me, her body crippled as she breaks down. Praying for a tear drop to fall I stare deep into gray eyes. Nothing, not a tear drop falls.

“Do you not feel anything, look at me! LOOK AT WHAT YOU’VE DONE, LOOK AT WHAT IT’S DONE TO ME BECAUSE OF YOU. BECAUSE OF YOU, DELILAH!”

I’m so sorry; I’m so so sorry Jayne.” Is all that leaves me.

******

Everyone except grandma and me are waving Stephanie and Aunt Vanessa off. I chose to stare outside the living room window, whereas gran refused to leave my side. Sitting at the window seat, gran talks about some tale from when she was a young girl. It’s always like this a one sided conversation, they talk in hope I’ll show some emotion while I listen. I lean into the cool glass window; my swollen wrist wrapped expertly by Vanessa sits in my lap. I watch as Bianca hugs her mum goodbye, the two of them slightly tearing up. Mum hugs Aunt Vanessa; a few words exchanged between them, always the close sisters. The slow setting sun paints the sky a luminous shade of pink and orange. This isn’t how I planned to spend my Friday night. Not that I ever did anything.

“You should be out there you know.” Grandma’s hands push my hair over my shoulder, her hazel eyes filled with pity.  Avoiding her gaze I watch the cars outside drive out the estate, Mum, Mayella, Adam, Tom, Bianca and Natasha wave at the retreating cars.

“You shouldn’t be like this, this isn’t you. Delilah smiles, Delilah is happy, cheerful, our Delilah is always laughing, painting, playing her grand piano.  This isn’t you Delilah, this isn’t who you are.” Grandma speaks, her hands tracing patterns on my knee. I continue watching out the window as everyone returns inside the house, gran sighs.

“Please try smiling Delilah, I hate seeing you like this.” Believe me gran if I could smile I would’ve but how can I after all I’ve done.

“Then tell me one thing...why won’t you smile?” grandma pleads. “I won’t tell your mother.” She adds quickly. I watch her pleading eyes cautiously, the pain hiding inside them.

“Because I can’t, I don’t know how to.” The answer slips out of my lips, instant regret fills me. Ever since Bianca’s return I’ve slipped out too much information, she has that effect on me and I hate it. Grandma eyes frown as she studies my face. Standing up I walk out the room, before I let something else slip out.

Leaving grandma with her mouth hanging open I enter the grand hallway as everyone else returns into the house. Adam rubs his eyes sleepily, his hands searching for mine. Giving my hand a small tug he smiles sheepishly at me.

“Hey Dee, you just missed Aunt Vanessa.” His voice muffled by his yawn. His scrawny little body clings to my side as his eyes droop down slightly. He needs sleep, the earlier he gets some the more sleep he’ll get before I have my nightmare again, causing him to wake up. A feeling of guilt hits me hard, he’s young, sick and because of my nightmares I’m ruining his sleeping pattern.

“You want me to take you to bed?” I ask, his head instantly snaps up, his eyes blinking rapidly. I guess he’s not used to having me talk to him, let alone offer to tuck him in bed.

“Maybe next time, dads gonna tuck me in this time.” His light arms wrap around my torso, giving me a tight hug he walks off rather sluggishly towards Tom and mum as they enter the room.

“Night Dee.” He yells out, Tom picks him up, as mum gives him a small peck on the forehead they head up the stairs together. Just like a family, if only Adam knew the truth. But this time I’m not the only one lying, this time we  are all lying to him.

The ancient grandfather clock strikes eight, just in time for Adam’s bed time.

“Oh honey! I’ve invited Samuel in. he was trying to call you but he didn’t have your number, he’s here to study with you for the exam you have on Monday or something. Bianca’s letting him in, I think they’re in the kitchen.” Mum calls from the top of the staircase. Nodding my head, I walk into the direction of the kitchen.

Bianca and Samuel sit at the kitchen bench top, Mayella eagerly stuffing their mouths with home baked cookies. What catches my eyes though is the bag sitting next Samuel, a large back pack which seems too stuffed for its own good. There can’t be books in that bag...

“Hey, Dee. We just got in, these cookies are to die for try one!” Bianca spoke whilst offering me a freshly baked chocolate chipped cookie. She sits excitedly on the stool, legs swinging as she munches on her cookie. Samuel sends a weak smile in my direction, his hands reaching for the bag beside him.

“Hey, I thought we could do with some studying, should we start now?” he asked, his eyes never leaving the bag.

“hey, how about you guys study in the library, there’s like an endless supply of books  in there!” Bianca answers for me, clearly obvious she’s on a sugar high.

“That’s it, no more cookies for you young lady, off, off you go! Samuel honey, I’ll send you and Dee some snacks shortly. And you, Bianca find a way to get rid of that energy, maybe do some pushes or sit things, whatever it is you athlete girls do. You’re all bony and skinny; you should be curvy and plump like me!” Mayella shooed us all out of her kitchen, Samuel chuckled lightly as Bianca shot Mayella a bewildered face.

Sitting at the furthest seat from Samuel, I take out the text books we’ll need to study. A soft tune escapes Samuel as he hums a familiar tune from when we were younger. Bianca had long left us to follow Mayella’s advice. Samuel continues to hum to himself while working on a couple of equations I had written out for him to solve. The two of us work silently, no awkwardness between us.  Flipping through my already studied Shakespearean notes, I notice Samuels hand reaching for the bag underneath him. Slowly he unzips the bag and takes out a clear plastic bag, his eyes still glued to the book, unaware I’m noticing his actions.  The plastic bag is filled with a couple of black shiny objects; quickly he stuffs it into his pocket. He looks up at me a grin plastered on his face. Acknowledging his gaze I return to reading my notes. Strange...definitely strange.

It’s been ten minutes since Samuels excused himself to go to the bathroom, his bag left where it was. Shrugging his extremely prolonged toilet break, Natasha enters the study.

“Where’s Sammy boy?” she inquires awkwardly, ever since Sunday she’s been acting weird. Her words didn’t hurt me yet she acts like she’s committed the biggest sin. Why can’t she understand that I don’t care that her words don’t hurt me at all.

“Bathroom.” I reply. Nodding her head she exits the room.

Bianca’s p.o.v

Entering Delilah’s room without her permission is bad. Lying to Delilah is even worse. But bugging her room with mini cameras and mic’s has to be the worst thing I’ve ever done! And it’s all thanks to our dear Samuel here. We’ve been planning this for the last three days, but now I’m having second thoughts about this. This isn’t right this whole messed up situation is wrong.

“Don’t look at me that way!” Samuel hisses at me with his back turned towards me.

“What face?” my hands occupy the mini camera as I charge it to life.

“I can feel your eyes burning to the back of my head, and let me tell you now it doesn’t feel good!” rolling my eyes at him once more, I attach the camera to the corner of the furthest blind. I watch Samuel as he heads towards Dees walk in cupboard. Cameras and mics in hand. We are soo going to regret this, spying on Dee is the worst thing we can ever do!

“Come on Bianca, I’ll give you a lift up. All you have to do is place the camera at the top.” Samuel begs, his eyes staring at me with hope. Crossing my arms, I shake my head vigorously indicating my refusal to help.

“please?”

“No Samuel, I will not. You can go suck my fungus toe for all I care I will not let you place a camera in Dees only source of privacy.” Standing my ground, I shoot an evil scowl at Samuel.

“what privacy?!”

“Samuel are you stupid, the girl dresses up in here and you are not going to watch her like some wrinkly old paedophile!” I shot back.

“Please? You said she comes in here after her nightmares, it’s important we see what happens in here. Look I’ll promise I’ll let you watch all the videos from her room.” Letting out a long and overly done sigh I give in to Samuels pleas. I am never going to forgive myself. And quite frankly I don’t think I’ll ever forgive Samuel for this as well.

******

Samuel wrapped up his study lesson with Delilah. Not that they did any studying, she barely took notice of our presence after we came back from sneaking off half the time to ‘bug’ her room as Samuel likes to say. He hands her a piece of paper with his number, hesitating slightly, he pecks her softly on her forehead. For a second there Dee’s eyes widen her body stiff as stone. Wrong move Samuel, wrong move.

Shifting on his feet awkwardly, he punches me lightly on the arm. Bidding us goodbye, Mayella shows him out the door.

“So how’d you’re study session go?” Natasha came in wearing a pair of old sweatshirt and yoga pants. Dee stared straight ahead, evidently uninterested in the whole conversation.

“Fine.” I answer. Natasha and I both look towards Dee expectantly. With her gaze on neither of us, she packs the remaining of her books before walking out of the room.

“Okay? I’ll see you later then?” I yell out awkwardly behind her. Natasha raises an eyebrow at me, shaking her head at the same time.

“Not used to her being like this, are you?” running her slender fingers through her dead straight silky blonde hair, Natasha stares at me intently. Shrugging my shoulders I take a seat beside her.

“You’ll get used to it, just don’t provoke her or do the same mistakes her mother is doing now.” Natasha says, a glint of sadness surfacing in her eyes.

“You really don’t get along with Renée do you?” I ask, curiosity taking the best of me. She chuckles lightly to herself, the smile not reaching her eyes.

“I do get along with Renée how could I not, she’s my step mum, but whenever the subject becomes about Delilah we both seem to have opposite options.” She sighs.

“She’s only trying to get answers; I mean she wants to know what’s wrong with Dee. What’s so bad about that?”

“It’s how she does it Bianca; she’s just getting too desperate…” Nat’s eyes wander of in another direction, taking in the surroundings around us. Biting my lip anxiously, I remember an issue which has been bugging me since Tuesday.

“Umm, Natasha? You knew Jayne right?” I ask. Her grip on the chair tightens, as she stares at me with disbelief.

“Yeah..,” she answers with uneasiness.

“Then can you tell me what happened to Jayne?” I turn to her pleadingly as she toys around with her golden hair.

“I was waiting for you to ask someone eventually.” She speaks, more to herself than me. Her brows not up in confusion almost like she’s having an inward battle with herself. Meeting my eyes I take notice of the small tears forming in her eyes. This can’t be good, Natasha doesn’t do crying.

“Bianca, I know you were friends with Jayne, and I’m sorry you’re only finding out now but...”

“But what?” I urge her. Tears stream down her face at this point.

“Natasha tell me what happened to Jayne?”

“Bianca, Jayne has been listed as missing since January 31st this year. Bianca she’s been missing for the last nine and a half months.”

And there you have it chapter seven… so did you like it? And you finally get to know about Jayne and what  happened to her, remember pay attention to the memoirs they play a lot in this story. So vote, comment and let me know what you think!

Next upload: sometime next week. Oh and please let me know if you guys want teasers at the end of each of chapter. Sorry one last thing; the fungus toe comment is by my good friend Snow, she doesn’t believe in swearing so she make up stupid comments, some of which you’ll be seeing from Bianca later on.

Take care everyone nd I’ll see you guys next upload. REMEMBER TO VOTE!

XD De2ire

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Bruises By E.J.

General Fiction

337K 11.8K 32
(TH#3)“'If you can look me in the eye and tell me anybody has ever held you like this, kissed you like this, loved you like this, then I will let you...
198 31 30
The story of bullying and romance and gangs. And abuse. It shows how any life can get out of hand. "My boyfriends father is choking me! Because I wo...
9.2K 306 28
AN AMAZING READ... Its not edited, so there are a lot of spelling errors and such; bear with me. If you want to read an edited novel of mine and you...
Traces of Delilah By April W.

Mystery / Thriller

156K 16K 30
[Cover made by @Vanoeuxx] After moving to Connecticut to room with her best friend for the summer, Chastity Blake doesn't know what to think of the c...