Not My Alpha (Completed)

By mquistey

#1 in Werewolf - #1 in Mate The world is at war with something they told themselves didn't exist. Samantha w... More

Authors Note
Chapter One - The Beach
Chapter Two - The Beach Continued
Chapter Three - The Window
Chapter Four - The Woods
Chapter Five - The Woods Continued
Chapter Six - The Bedroom
Chapter Seven - Today
Chapter Eight - Goodbyes - Part One
Chapter Nine - Goodbyes Part Two
Chapter Ten - Trucks
Chapter Eleven - Discussing a Mutual Hatred
Chapter Twelve - Into the Woods
Chapter Thirteen - The Safe House
Chapter Fourteen - Sunset
Chapter Fifteen - Guns
Chapter Sixteen - One of Us - Part One
Chapter Seventeen - One of Us - Part Two
Chapter Eighteen - Fire
Chapter Nineteen - Chances
Chapter Twenty - Wolves - Part One
Chapter Twenty-One - Wolves- Part Two
Chapter Twenty-Two - Bound
Chapter Twenty-Three - The Alpha
Chapter Twenty-Four - All Hell
Chapter Twenty-Five - You're Not Going to Run
Chapter Twenty-Six - Faking
Chapter Twenty-Seven- Pain and Panic
Chapter Twenty-Eight - I Didn't Want to Freak You Out
Chapter Twenty-Nine - Just Call Me a Saint
Chapter Thirty - I'm Not So Dense
Chapter Thirty-One - I Don't Need a Wheelchair
Chapter Thirty-Two - What a Pleasant Surprise
Chapter Thirty-Three - Go On, Ask Me
Chapter Thirty-Four- Something I Should Know
Chapter Thirty-Five - I Promise
Chapter Thirty-Six - Three Days
Chapter Thirty-Seven - Eden
Chapter Thirty-Eight - Something's Happened
Chapter Thirty-Nine - I Have to Go
Chapter Forty-One - I Exploited It
Chapter Forty-Two - We Followed the Screams
Chapter Forty-Three - The World Seemed to Hold Its Breath
Chapter Forty-Four - The Night Turned to Glass
Chapter Forty-Five - The Pack House
Chapter Forty-Six - A Sermon in Syllables
Chapter Forty-Seven - For Now
Chapter Forty-Eight - It Was In The Tree Line
Chapter Forty-Nine - Living Hell
Chapter Fifty - He Cares
Chapter Fifty-One - A Liability
Chapter Fifty-Two - Bite You
Chapter Fifty-Three - It's Possible
Chapter Fifty-Four - Your Family
Chapter Fifty-Five - Unless I'm Not Alpha
Chapter Fifty-Six - Unconcious Vegetable of a Brother
Chapter Fifty-Seven - Everything Except You
Chapter Fifty-Eight - Too Good
Chapter Fifty-Nine - The Night We Live
Chapter Sixty - Should'a Known
Chapter Sixty-One - Making Everything Right
Chapter Sixty-Two - A Disgrace
Chapter Sixty-Three - To The Death
Chapter Sixty-Four - Not Fine
Chapter Sixty-Five - Chiefs
Epilogue

Chapter Forty - I Can't Let You Go

33.6K 1.2K 157
By mquistey

I stared for a moment at the red door, half expecting Samuel to come back and take me with him. I refused to believe that he'd actually left me alone, or that he didn't so much as think twice about leaving me behind. Much to my surprise, and distaste, the thought stung. It pulled at my heart in places I hadn't even realized Samuel had strings attached to.

Our time together since I'd been brought back to town was decent. Samuel had been trying. He didn't seem to be keeping things from me, he was giving me my space, and he wasn't pushing me. Though I refused to admit it, I was beginning to find I didn't hate the man, and I'd begun to trust him, if only slightly. While I held a deep resentment for my situation, I couldn't find it in me to blame Samuel for the things going wrong. But, when the heavy door stayed closed, it felt like everything shattered. The small portion of me that was finally starting to relax, took a plunge into the ocean. 

I stared at the door for a second more, before a frustrated scream escaped my lips. I shot my hands through my hair, pulling at it to ease the hysteria rising in my chest. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the woman named Raven flinch, but I paid her no mind. In the moment, I could do nothing but let a slew of curse words rain from my lips, each and every one of them directed at Samuel.

Without thinking, I let out another mangled cry and reached for my shoes. I pulled them on in a smooth motion, ignoring the fact that I wouldn't make it two steps outside this apartment. I wasn't naive enough to believe Samuel left someone with me for the company. However, I was going to do everything in my power to get out of here and get to my brother. 

Sure enough, the minute I headed for the front door, Raven was blocking my way. She stood before me, taller and stronger, but with hesitation. Her chocolate brown eyes refused to meet my own.

"Move," I ground out, ignoring her anxious expression.

"I'm sorry, but I can't let you go." Her voice was soft, but it held an unwavering conviction. As she spoke, she pushed her black, wavy hair, behind her ears. 

I sighed, pinching my nose. "Look. I don't know if you understand, but my brother is going to be killed if I don't leave this apartment."

Her stance faltered. The minute it did, I darted around her. She was caught off guard and I was able to grip the doorknob and pull it harshly. However, when I did, it didn't move. No matter how hard I pulled against the shining metal, the door refused to open. 

"What the hell?" I cried out, relentlessly tugging at the door.

The next moment, Raven was in my vision and pulling me back. Her grip was surprisingly strong and it was enough to make me lose my footing, causing me to trip backward and fly through the air. Before I could hit the ground though, she caught my elbow and lifted me back up.

"They locked it from the outside," she huffed, straightening the both of us.

I ripped my elbow from her arm, scowling at the door. Just as I was about to try it again, Raven placed herself in between me and the wood. Her back was leaning against the door, and when I glared at her, she awkwardly tucked her arms behind her back.

"I'm sorry about your brother," she rushed out. "But I can't let you leave. Both the Alpha and Beta told me to keep you here."

I paused. "Both of them?"

She slowly nodded, her short waves falling back on her face. "Both of them. Alpha Riley told me if I let you leave then I'd have to face him in the morning." She paused, looking directly into my eyes. "Please don't leave."

Her words hit me like a freight train. "He threatened you?"

"I'm sorry."

I paused, staring at her. I'm sure it came across as a cold and hard glare because honestly, I couldn't keep the expression off my face. I was completely torn. There was no doubt in my mind that I had to get to Will, or he would be killed. But, if I left, the very same could happen to this woman.

Abruptly, I let out another scream of frustration. Raven flinched back again, her already light skin paling even more. She took a hesitant step back further into the door, but I paid her no mind. Instead, I stalked towards the kitchen, pacing back and forth. I hated that I was doing it, as it reminded me too much of the same exact thing Samuel did when stressed. But, I couldn't keep still. My mind was racing, my heart was pounding, and my soul was being crushed. 

"I'm sorry," Raven told me again from across the room. "If I could help you, I would."

"What do you know about humans being bit and turned?" I suddenly questioned, turning to face her. My fingers strummed against my legs. It was the only thing keeping the panic in my chest from rising. 

"I-um," she stammered. "They, well, they don't often survive the shift."

"I know that. What else?"

Raven was at a loss. "There's not much more. They're bit, then they shift for the first time on the full moon."

"What about after? How many have survived?"

"I'm sorry, but we haven't had a human survive the shift in a while. It's just too hard on their bodies. Normally, we don't even turn the ones we keep anymore."

I leaned up against the kitchen counter, ignoring the turned over barstool at my feet. Another scowl was etched onto my features, but this one was laced with more than anger. I was terrified. Terrified of what was happening just beyond the walls of the apartment. Will was out there, and he was probably going to die. Not only that, but there was absolutely nothing I could do about it. 

"What is the shift like?" I questioned, my feet tapping incessantly in time with my fingers. 

"I'm not sure you want to know," she trailed off.

My jaw tightened and I ground out, "What is the shift like?" 

I looked up for a moment, catching Raven's expression. She looked almost as terrified as I felt. 

"Painful, mostly. I've heard it's worse for humans. If you're born a wolf, then you've already got it in your system. When a human's bit, their entire being changes. The hardest part is not letting the new body kill the old."

I stilled, my body tensing even more. Every word that left this woman's mouth was another reason I needed to be there to help Will. Not only that, but this could be the only chance I had to see him alive. Now, Samuel and Riley would be the last faces he would ever see.

Silence fell between us for a short minute, and the entire time Raven stood in front of the door, unmoving. I refused to look at her, but I knew she was doing nothing but studying me. The air was tense, and I knew if I opened my mouth I would be screaming. The reality of the situation was hitting me, and it was all I could do to stay calm. 

On the one hand, I could attempt to get around Raven. There were multiple things I could do. I was already in the kitchen, and I knew where we housed the knives. It wouldn't be easy, but I could do it. I was sure of it. And, I'd get to see Will, even if it was for the last time. 

But, on the other hand, if I managed to escape, Raven would probably be dead in the morning. Riley didn't keep light on this threats. Every word he spoke of them was completely true. If I fought against this woman, I'd be sealing her fate. 

Raven let out a small and shaky breath, her timid voice cutting into my inner turmoil. "Is that what's happening to your brother?"

Confusion swam through my mind and leaked into my scowl. "Did they not tell you?"

She shook her head. "No."

"But you still came here?"

"Of course."

I stared at her blankly. "Why?"

She raised her eyebrow, eyeing me with uncertainty. "When one of the leaders of the pack asks you to do something, you do it."

I rolled my eyes and attempted to hold back a scoff. I wasn't too successful. 

She sighed. "I'm sorry."

"This is ridiculous," I glowered, once again torn. I lifted myself up onto the counter, pushing aside a broken glass. The movement burned my side, but as usual, I ignored it. Instead, I tucked my legs into my chest, holding myself together as tightly as I could manage. I was tempted to rock back and forth, but I didn't want to appear on the verge of a breakdown. Not when I had no idea who Raven was. Not when I didn't know if I was going to try and get around her. 

Raven watched me, her shoulders slumping. However, instead of responding, she slowly moved away from her position where she was guarding the door. When I didn't move towards it, she let out a long breath and headed to the living room. There, she began turning furniture right side up, attempting to erase the evidence of Samuel's tantrum. Her brown eyes darted to me every few seconds though, never letting me out of her sight for too long. 

I watched her for a few moments, calming my erratic heartbeat. "You know," I eventually ground out, begrudgingly. "You don't have to do that. Samuel can pick up his own mess."

She shrugged. "The Beta has better things to do."

"Right," I scoffed. It wasn't easy to keep the venom out of my voice. 

Raven paused, turning to face me, casting her eyes to the ground. "I'm sorry."

"If you're sorry then you'd let me leave."

"You can't leave. I can't even leave. Not until one of them returns."

I shook my head in disgust. "Why is it that you people do everything they say? Can't you think for yourselves?"

She hung her head, twisting the black shirt she wore. "I'm sorry." Her voice was small and practically nonexistent. 

I watched Raven for a moment, trying desperately to hate her. She was the thing keeping me from leaving. She was the reason I wasn't with Will right now. She was a werewolf. If I could just find a way to get around her, then I'd be free. 

But, I also knew that wasn't the entire truth. That was just what I was telling myself to justify potentially getting her killed. In reality, the only reason she was here was that a selfish and tyrannous Alpha ordered her to babysit me. Not only that, but he threatened her life if she couldn't keep me here. 

"No," I eventually sighed, burying my head in my knees. "I'm sorry. This isn't your fault."

Raven didn't respond, but after a moment I looked up to find her straightening the living room, once more. I watched as she tried putting furniture where it belonged, but she clearly had no idea where anything was supposed to go. 

Holding back a groan, I hopped off the counter and made my way over to her. She started to get between me and the door once more, but I shook my head and half-heartedly pointed to the spot where the couch belonged. She immediately understood and quickly moved the heavy piece of furniture in that direction. When I tried to help her move it, she refused.

"I'm sorry, but the Beta told me not to let you strain yourself," she huffed, easily maneuvering the three-person couch. "I don't need help, anyway."

We continued in silence for the next few minutes. Raven would direct the furniture where I pointed, and I would pick up the pillows and any broken objects. I was amazed at the damage Samuel had managed to do, and I was slowly realizing how truly upset he was. He ceased throwing things around when he saw me, but I knew he still wanted to. This brought my thoughts back to the hurt that flashed through his face when he told me Riley had kept Will's bite a secret. It tugged lightly at my heart, but as soon as the sympathy came, I pushed it away, reminding myself that he'd left me in the apartment while my only brother was dying. 

It took almost an hour to successfully clean up the trashed apartment, and when we were done, my hand flinched to my pocket. The small phone rested there, and I wanted desperately to pull it out and see if Samuel had contacted me. The entire time I helped Raven clean, I couldn't stop thinking about what was happening beyond this apartment. I hadn't made the conscious decision to stay, and every few seconds my eyes would glance at a door or window, but I'd meet Raven's eyes each time I did, and I knew I wouldn't be able to leave. If I left, who knew what would happen to the timid woman before me. When I thought about it, I was sure that's the reason Riley and Samuel wanted her here in the first place. Samuel may have been thinking about not letting me out, but Riley had probably figured out I wouldn't risk someone's life for my own gain. That was his specialty. 

"Are you tired?" Raven eventually asked, hesitantly sitting down on the cream couch. It faced two matching arm-chairs with a wooden, now broken, coffee table in between. "I could help you to your room if you need it. The Beta told me to let you sleep."

I sat down heavily in the chair across from her, sinking into the cushions. "The Beta seems to have told you a lot of things," I grumbled, staring out the open window behind Raven. It gave me a clear view of the moon and stars, just like the window in my bedroom. Sighing, I continued. "But, no. I don't think I'll be sleeping tonight."

She smiled, sadly. "I'm sorry, I'm just trying to do what he says."

A thought suddenly entered my mind. "Did he threaten you?"

Her eyes went wide. "The Beta?" I nodded and she vehemently shook her head. "Of course not. He's the only one who is kind to me. Sure, he can be firm, but he's never threatened me."

I let out a long breath I didn't know I'd been holding. When I didn't respond, Raven continued on in a small voice. 

"Can I ask you a question?"

I sighed. "Sure."

She hesitated, looking at me cautiously. "Is it true he is your mate?"

My lips pursed. "That's what he thinks."

A hint of a smile tugged at Raven's lips. "Can I ask you another question?"

"You don't have to keep asking me if you can ask me questions. It's fine."

"Sorry," she nodded. "What do you think?"

"What do I think about what?"

"Is he your mate?"

I sighed again, this time much heavier. "Human's don't have mates."

She nodded, thoughtfully. It was the first expression I'd seen her take on, other than caution or fear. My eyebrows furrowed, but I didn't dwell for too long. My fingers still bounced in time with my legs, and I was trying desperately to keep my panic at bay. Though I wasn't actively trying to escape, my mind kept playing out the scenarios where I would. Each one would end with me finding Will, dead. 

Raven watched me, carefully. "Are you alright?"

I shook my head, my leg bouncing beneath me. "No."

She sighed. "I really am sorry."

"Stop saying that. You didn't have a choice." I hung my head. "I know what it's like."

Raven hesitated, watching me with sympathy. I could feel her gaze burning holes in the top of my head, but I couldn't bring myself to look up. "He's not bad, you know," she started. "The Beta. He takes care of us. He's the only one who treats me well."

I slowly lifted my head, furrowing my eyebrows. "What do you mean by that?"

She shrugged. "I'm an Omega. The pack doesn't really care for people like me. I'm the lowest of the pack, compared to them."

"That's ridiculous," I scoffed. "Why are they any better than you are?"

"They just are. It's their blood, their position, their family. I'm not upset by it, though. I'm used to it. It's nothing I can change."

I shook my head in disbelief. "It's not right."

"I didn't bring it up to get sympathy," she told me, simply. "I wanted to try and show you that it's not all bad. If your brother is in the hands of the Beta, he's got a good chance." She smiled, tilting her head and watching me.

"Even if that were true, I still need to be there. Will needs me."

She tilted her head the other direction, leaning further into the couch. "The Beta's right though. It's not safe."

Her words, much like Samuel's, went in one ear and out the other. "Will wouldn't hurt me."

Raven opened her mouth to respond, but both of our attention was pulled away from an echo of a noise outside the open window. I whipped my gaze towards it, just in time to hear another, much louder, mangled scream. Though it was distant and unintelligible, I knew what it was the moment I heard it. Will's screams.

I shot to my feet, my side burning with the action. Raven quickly followed suit, her gaze darting to the window. The noise sounded again, and just as I moved my feet to run to the window, Raven was there, shutting it tightly. 

She whirled around to face me, but the only thing I could do was stare at the glass. The noise was gone, but the damage was done. The tears that threatened me all night finally filled my eyes, betraying my emotions. Desperately, I looked at Raven, pouring every pleading word possible into my stare. She seemed lost and uncertain, but the smallest shake of her head answered my unvoiced question. I wasn't leaving. 

Instantly, I broke down. My legs gave out and I fell to the floor in a tangled heap. Raven caught me before I could hurt myself, but I barely registered her body beside me. A scream escaped my lips and blended with my sobs. Tears relentlessly poured from my eyes and onto my clothing. I clutched my chest, barely aware that I couldn't breathe. In that moment, it was the last thing I wanted to do. 

Raven's hand ran up and down my back. She spoke softly in my ear, though her voice was strained and tense. I pushed her presence from my mind, as it was only another reminder of what was happening. The phantom screams from the window pierced my ears again and again, and my mind began to conjure images of Will. He was bloodied, he was broken, and then, he was dead. 

***

Cliffhanger...sorry not sorry XD 

What are everyone's thoughts?! Will Will survive? (That's a confusing sentence..) What do you think of Raven? Riley's (yet another) threat? 

Thank you thank you thank you for all the support! You guys truly are amazing!! I'm going to try and write as much as I can before school gets crazy, so hopefully, updates will keep on coming. Once again, thank you!!

mquistey

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

603K 17.1K 50
"She's my mate!" Zane yelled causing both the man and I to widen our eyes. Mate? Is Zane Australian? "No. That's not possible. She's-" Zane cut him...
100K 2.8K 49
(Highest ranking #1 in lust 💗💗💗) A man walked towards my mate as he called out to her. "Who's that" I whispered. "Oh that ..... that would be my h...
631K 21.6K 51
I jumped to my feet and punched him in the side. There was hardly an effect. "You're weak" he spat, walking a step closer towards me. I growled as...
658 5 21
Everyone talks about how precious is the mate bond, how it is the most important thing in the life of a werewolf, and how it should lead us, shape...