Take My Hand: Walking Dead Fa...

By _riggsperfection

"Maybe we are nothing, if we have nothing to live for. Maybe we really...just have to live for ourselves." (... More

Chapter 1-Wondlerless
Chapter 2-Blue Eyes
Chapter 3-Careless
Chapter 4-I Know
Chapter 5-The Wish Granter
Chapter 6-Alone
Chapter 7-5a.m. Disbeliefs
Chapter 8-Territory
Chapter 9-Youth
Chapter 10-Wrong
Chapter 11-Nothing
Chapter 12-That Girl
Chapter 13-Ruined
Chapter 14-Gone
Chapter 15-Tough
Chapter 16-Smoke Engraved
Chapter 17-Another
Chapter 18-Focus
Chapter 19-Tragdeties
Chapter 20-Burn Out
Chapter 21-Lies
Chapter 22-Color Blind
Chapter 24-Memories
Chapter 25-Mine
Chapter 26-Take My Hand
Chapter 27-Trust
Chapter 28-Fabric
Chapter 29-Anymore
Chapter 30-Amen
Chapter 31-Found
Chapter 32-Serpents
Chapter 33-Before
Chapter 34-Psych
Chapter 35-Time
Chapter 36-Feel
Chapter 37-Stories
Chapter 38-Secrets
Chapter 39-Stupid
Chapter 40-Moments
Chapter 41-Grown
Chapter 42-Death Bed
Chapter 43-Silence
Chapter 44-Turn
Chapter 45-At Perilous

Chapter 23-Of My Interest

6.7K 214 6
By _riggsperfection

Chapter 23

•Carl•

We walked the whole road, at the end it spread like wide tree branches of to an intersection and a highway. There were skidded tire marks aligning the ground, cars turned at all angles, and signs dangling at high mounts. I saw a sign that had the word Exit on it, yet the rest of it was illegible, or broken off.

"Now what, Shortie."
Daryl complained.

We all watched as her feet shuffled, her body adjusting to turn in between the sides of cars as she continued moving. I noticed how Daryl's nickname fit her. She was a bit short; shorter than me.

"You just keep moving!"

She yelled...as she kept going.

We shrugged, following her through all the ruins and despairs of past. I looked in one of the cars, seeing dead walkers sit in the seats as if they were still human.

What was this girl leading us through?
Why was she so specific on where to go?
What was she up to...

I ran ahead, getting close enough to Joslyn to be next to her. As we began walking, the only thing that separated us was the line of cars we walked adjacent to, having the slightest room to even walk.

"Hey,"
Michonne called.
"We should at least stop while we're here; look for supplies that could be here."

My dad nodded his head, agreeing, and eventually, so did the rest of us. We all took different sides, and I went into the first thing I saw: an R-V.

I sat down in the front, placing my hands on the soft leather wheel. I looked out in front of me, then I closed my eyes. I pictured cars in front of me, cars being viewed from the side mirrors as they all moved to go somewhere, wether it were to work or to a certain event, and I had a drivers license. It was something I didn't have to worry about, though.

I opened my eyes.

I got up, heading to the back. The faded red seats were almost useless, no light shining through the windows above them, covered by the ugliest drapes I've ever seen. I headed to the very back, seeing a table. I looked all around it, seeing nothing that was to our interest.

I turned back to head out the door, taking one last look over my shoulder, as I bumped into something. I looked in front of me, seeing Joslyn standing there.

"Oh-"
She said in disappointment.
"I didn't think anyone was here."

She took a step back to the ground, stepping off the rail of the R-V.

"It's fine."
I said moving past her.

"Hey,"
She called after me.

"You find anything?"
"No. We aren't going to."

I explained.

"Where exactly are you planning on taking us?"
"I told you. Illi-"
"Well how?!"

She shrugged.

"I was just thinking the highwa-"
"That's stupid. There are probably dozens of walkers attracted to this scene."
"There'll be less if you keep your mouth shut."

She walked past me, biting her lip and raising her eyebrow as if giving me a suggestion.

"Why do you even want to go?!"
I screamed to her.

She stopped in her spot, tilting her head down and turning on her heels. She let out a sarcastic laugh as she stepped closer, almost under me.

"Why do you care?!"
She spat.

She whispered, her voice cracking and she bit her lip after she did.

Did she hear my conversation with my dad?

No. She was sleeping. I shouldn't feel sorry. It's not like she had any interest of me.

"Do you?!"
She yelled.
"I know that you had a loss but you don't have to be an ass about everything!"

I breathed through my teeth, licking my lips as I made no contact with her. I heard her swallow, and her mouth dropped, her head rocking side to side.

"Carl, I'm- I didn't-"
"It's fine. I don't care."

I walked past her, heading towards the rest of the group.

"I never cared."
I dropped that in front of her, finishing.

I went back to where I last saw everyone, but I looked around, not seeing anyone.

"Daryl?! Maggie?! Mich-"
"Carl!"

I looked to the side, a red car turned over sideways and Michonne called to me. She stood behind the car, next to Daryl, and my dad and Maggie were crouched next to a slim blue car.

Michonne put her finger to her lips, curling them for a signal as she pointed. I looked out in front, seeing dozens of walkers coming down the road. I quickly shuffled to the nearest car, crouching and putting my hands against the door.

The walkers came, slowly barging past every trashed car, some falling at points, some looking around, and some doing nothing in particular.

I looked around me, seeing Joslyn crouched down behind a car next to me, looking back I saw the group move over the railing on the side of the road to dodge the walkers that were coming down their way.

"C'mon!"
I whispered to Joslyn, motioning over the rail.

Why are you telling her?
Because-

I cut myself off from thinking, kneeling down behind the railing at eye-level setting my hands on the top to support myself. The walkers all headed in the same direction as if all attracted to something.

There was nothing there.

We all looked straight to them, not worrying about anything else. I slowly pulled my knife out, just in case. Joslyn kneeled next to me, eyeing my from the side. I saw all the walkers pass, behind the R-V where they were then history.

Joslyn stumbled back, seizure-like, putting her back to the railing.

"C-Carl!"

She tried to scream, yet whispered.

"What..."
"Carl!"

She let her lungs take over, not able to hold her breath in anymore, as she screamed my name for mayday. She took hold of my knife as I spun around, seeing walkers come from out of the woods and one hovered over me. She stabbed it right between the eyes, letting it roll down to the ditch. Suddenly, the walkers on the road were attracted to us and lost their interest in the R-V.

I pulled my gun out, and so did the rest of the group; we had nothing to lose.

We started shooting every walker in sight. I saw Joslyn's fingers trembling on the trigger, aiming toward a walker in front of her.

"What the hell are you doing?!"

She lowered her gun, wanting to say something, but she ran past the walker to the deep woods. My mouth opened, hung in shock.

She left...

"Carl!"

Michonne called my name as she took her knife back from a walkers eye.

"Go..."
I eyed her, then my dad. Actually, he wasn't even looking at me; he was too busy with walkers. Did he even think to look how his only son was doing?

Only child.

I shuffled back, entering through two trees side by side, leading a trail of leaves. I ran down through the woods, trying to find a way of how I could find Joslyn. I only saw trees.

How could she have left that quickly?!

I tried to see behind trees, maybe even through trees, but nothing. Wait. That was it: the trees. I looked, seeing low branches on a tree with fallen leaves. I remember her story, I wasn't just going to forget it... I'm the one who wanted to know.
-
-
-
I really loved wroting this chapter bc it shows that Carl has two sides to him. But, it also shows how he is becoming more like his dad under the pressure.
I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I do!
And omg!
Thank you all for 4.1k!
That's so amazing I love you all so much!!!!
-
Please comment, vote, and also maybe share this!
-
~c.j.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42.5K 1.6K 37
"You're just a little outlaw, aren't you?"
6.9K 161 20
"Your going to live or die. Now it's time to war up. Hurry up, y'all. Pack up!"
9.2K 305 12
this girl might be the death of me. literally -#10 TWD (4/4/24) -#80 DARYLDIXONFANFICTION (4/22/24)
40.6K 1K 61
❝To live will be an awfully big adventure❞ warning: i wrote this in middle school. it's horrible, read at your own risk!