ȼhɨℓď ๏ƒ ƒɨя€ (ώąţţ¥ ąώąяď$ 2...

By darkphoenix

This is the old version of COF that is oddly mixed with edits. I decided to start a whole "new" story. This o... More

Child of Fire
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8: Murder
Chapter 9: Dragons
Chapter 10: The King's Wrath
Chapter 11: Gypsies
Chapter 12: The Future
Chapter 13: Elijah
Chapter 14: The Past
Chapter 15: Payback
Chapter 16: Training
Chapter 17: Discovery
Chapter 18: Dragonfire
Chapter 19: Home
Chapter 20: Prepare for War
Chapter 21: The Siege
Chapter 22: Life after Death
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Epilogue

Chapter 6

902 33 7
By darkphoenix

Chapter 6

Her funeral was the day after she had passed. Due to her illness and continued decline most all of the preparations had been made. A funeral pyre had been built in the churchyard. The earth within the stone boundary of the churchyard was scorched to oblivion. Too many funerals had been held in the outskirts of Auchendale as of late.

Friends gathered in the yard surrounding the pyre. The priests stood at one end my father and sister at his side. Next to them were people I did not expect to see, my maternal grandparents. They held onto Myla their faces somber. I had not seen them since my tenth birthday and that had been many years ago. I was not sure why I did not immediately join my family. I felt as if I would grieve better without feeling the need to take care of others.

I remained in the far corner. My hood pulled over my face. I wore a borrowed black dress that barely fit and my mother's cloak. I pulled it tighter around myself as the wind picked up. A storm was brewing that would bring the winter's first snow. Many people beside me wept. I had sworn to myself I would cry no more. I had no more tears to spend.

Silence fell over the gathered crowd as my mother's corpse was brought from the church. Four pallbearers carried her on a flat board covered in blue velvet. She wore a dress I did not recognize. It was a pale blue silk with tiny pink flowers embroidered on the hem; it must have been from her youth. She no longer looked like the sick woman I watched die. She looked like a ghost of her former self.

A hand slipped into mine clutching it gently. Looking up a cloaked figure stood next to me. They turned to me and gave me a soft smile, Tristan.

"Your Highness." I was surprised to see him here.

"Sh, I am not here as a prince. I am here as just Tristan." He squeezed my hand. A small smile came to my lips. I did not expect this level of kindness from him. I had thought his assistance in helping find me a proper husband had just been out of pity I now realized that I was wrong.

"Thank you." I squeezed his hand back and watched. In the beginning I had hated the prince for what he had done to Emera but something had changed. I no longer held the anger towards him that once did. I appreciated his presence and his support even if I did not understand why he was giving it.

In the weeks following my mother's passing, friends stopped by delivering their condolences and whatever foods families could spare this hard winter. I was growing weary of the apologies; grief hung thick in the air. People always told me what a great woman my mother was. I knew she was a great woman and an even greater mother. Their words only brought a deeper sorrow into my heart and further caused me pain.

I had not been out to the woods since my mother had died; I remained in the city with Myla tending to household duties. Tomorrow Myla and I were to head to the castle along with our father. Tristan had sent word that he had found Myla a job as a maid. He also said he had found a few men interested in taking a wife, even a low born girl like myself. I laid in bed that night playing out any possible scenarios. I was petrified of saying or doing the wrong thing, too much relied on tomorrow.

The next morning I woke early to get ready for the long day that lay ahead. After my mother's funeral my grandparents must have felt bad about their abandonment for they took a great interest in my soon to be engagement. They insisted that I Myla and I spend the night with them so we could ready the next morning. Myla had been visiting them every few days since the funeral; she had grown close to our grandmother, Charlotte.

Their house was by far nicer than my own. Myla and I did not even share a room. My grandparents were not the wealthiest of people but they lived comfortably. When I woke the next morning I was unsure of what to do. The fire was still burning slowly in the hearth, which kept the room comfortably warm. Everything about their home felt strange to me. The night before we all sat down and had dinner a maid served. It felt unnatural to me.

The heavy wooden door creaked open and the maid from the previous night popped her head in. Her eyes widened in surprise when she saw me standing near the window.

"Oh, Miss I was not expecting to already be awake. I was going to draw you a bath before you woke."

"I can help you and my name is Gwen." I smiled. Her surprise continued.

"You needn't do that Miss."

"I insist. It is too strange not too."

"Whatever you would like," she paused. "Gwen." A small smile appeared on her lips. Together we drew a bath in half the time it would have taken her alone. Once ready she left me alone to bath. The water was so warm, Edith, the maid, had added a mixture of herbs that gave the room a wonderful smell. I sank deeper into the bath in hopes it would relax me but it was useless. There was nothing that would be able to calm my racing nerves. I scrubbed my skin until it was pink and made sure my hair was free of every knot and tangle. Getting out of the bath I dressed in a simple shift dress that Edith had laid out. The fabric was sheer leaving me self -conscious.

Another knock sounded at the door. This time Edith was not alone, my grandmother was with her a dress draped over her arms. She smiled warmly at me. In rare moments I would catch her looking at Myla and I sadness in her eyes. It was obvious that she regretted not being apart of our lives until now. Her once blonde hair was tied away in a clean bun and her eyes still sparkled like my mother's once had.

"Good morning Gwen, how was your bath?" she asked.

"Wonderful."

"Are you nervous?"

"Very."

"Do not worry, if you are anything like your mother you will do flawlessly."

"Myla was always more like mother than me."

"That might be so but you are Wren's daughter and that cannot be changed." Her words brought a small smile to my face.

"Thank you."

"We should get going we do not want to be late." I nodded she laid out the dress on the bed, it was not one piece but multiple it made it hard to garner what the dress actually looked like all I could tell what that it was green and silver. Before I could do more investigating Charlotte directed me to a small vanity. She began to run her fingers through my hair; nostalgia ran through me, my mother used to do the same thing.

"I used to braid your mother's hair all the time." Charlotte smiled. "Alas I would braid yours as well but my fingers have grown stiff in recent years, Edith will have to help you." I just nodded. All of this was still so strange to me.

Edith took Charlotte's place behind me but stayed near and directed Edith as she began to plait my hair. She plaited from the base of my head all the way around leaving a few ringlets free to frame my face. When she finished I felt as if I looked like a different woman. I looked sophisticated and beautiful, not like a woman who spent most of her time in the woods.

"Come." Charlotte walked towards the bed where the dress laid. "I had this made for you."

"For me?" I asked taken aback.

"Yes. Your mother had sent word before her death that she wanted us make a dress for you."

"But why?"

"She said because you deserved it." I was overcome with emotion. Even after her death my mother was still looking after me. Charlotte grabbed the heavy skirt off the bed and pulled it over my head. Upon closer inspection the fabric was a deep emerald green with silver scrawling patterns over it. Next came a plain strip of green silk that vaguely reminded me of a scarf. It hung around my next and reached my toes. Lastly was a coat of sorts, it was made from the same fabric as the skirt and had sleeves that nearly reached the floor. Gold clasps met at my bodice down to my waist.

"Wren was right, green is a wonderful color on you." Charlotte smiled as she took a step back.

"Does it look alright?" I glanced down hoping I did not look a fool in such a fine dress.

"You look beautiful Gwendolyn." A new voice said. Glancing up I noticed Myla in the door way her face shining.

"Do you really think so?" I was growing even more self-conscious.

"Yes." Myla chuckled taking my hands. I took a moment to look at her. She wore a simple lavender dress with an apron. Her blonde hair was back in a neat braid. I felt over extravagant next to her.

"Girls we best be heading out." Our grandfather, Barric, stood in the doorway looking slightly impatient his gaze softened as it fell over Myla and I. I assumed in his youth that his hair was a rich black but age had turned his temples grey. His brown eyes were stern but held a softness that you would not expect for such an unyielding looking man. For most of my life I held resentment towards these people but as I grew to know them my preconceived notions changed.

We all quickly gathered in foyer. Papa had arrived a few moments before we had. Only Barric and Papa would be joining us at the castle. Barric was to be my escort. Charlotte and Edith wished us luck as we left the house. Outside waited four horses, one of which I was not expecting to ever see again, Lady. Samuel stood next to her grinning.

"Samuel!" I raced forward and pulled him into a hug.

"Thought you could use a friendly face up there." Samuel chuckled handing me Lady's reins. The other three horses belonged to my grandparents, rather than owning a carriage.

"Thank you." I hugged him once more before turning to Lady. She gave me a low whicker. I gave her chin a good scratch. "I missed you mare."

"We should go ahead and get going. This is not an event we wish to be late too." Barric noted. I prepared to mount but rather than seeing a traditional saddle it was a sidesaddle, I had never ridden in one before. Barric noticed my hesitation. "I know this is not what you are used to but the ride is not long. Charlotte has told me that it is quite comfortable. Which I am not quite sure I believe her." He chuckled. His honesty lightened my mood.

With Samuel's help I mounted up and attempted to make myself comfortable in the saddle. Once everyone was ready Barric led the way, followed by Myla and myself with our father following behind. It was early in the morning but the streets were already full of people. Many did not spare us a glance. Many of them were well fed and well dressed. My grandparents home was in the third ring, my home was in the sixth.

Barric has been right, the ride was not long I had never been this close to the castle. It was a monstrous work of art. It had by far more detail that I had expected. A large wall encircled the inner citadel; a mammoth metal gate guarded what I assumed to be the only entrance into the castle. Several guards stood on the outside; they wore full armor and were armed with swords at the hips and spears in their hands. The show of force was intimidating.

"State your purpose." A guard stepped forward blocking our path.

"Archer Markworth and Myla Markworth here for work. Gwendolyn Markworth and Barric Fairbairn are here upon request." Papa said.

"Sorry Archer, the King has grown stricter with the gate." The guard apologized. "Bring her up." He turned and motioned for the men inside the castle to raise the gate. The Iron Gate groaned in protest, it was slow progress but the gate eventually was raised. The guard gestured for us to enter.

An ominous feeling overcame me as I passed under the gate. Something deep in my belly told me to turn around and never look back. I passed the feeling off as nerves and pushed myself forward. We were directed over to the far left of a massive courtyard that lay just behind the gates. Four stable hands promptly appeared and took a hold of our horses.

"Gwen!" turning I noticed Tristan walking over from a set of large double doors, I smiled.

"Good morning your highness." I bowed my head from atop of Lady.

"Here, let me help you down." Tristan reached up and grabbed my waist. I shivered at the unexpected touch. He lifted me down as if I weighed nothing.

"Thank you." This time I curtsied. Charlotte had taught me to curtsy the night before, and now I was grateful for her assistance.

"Archer." Tristan took his hand and gave it a rough shake. "How are you?"

"I have been better." My father replied. He had been fatigued as of late and Myla and I saw less of him than we had before.

"Mr. Markworth!" A new man appeared at my father's side.

"I am Robert Richards, I work with the King and the Prince." I quickly recognized him from the Red Wood. He still held that pompous air. "And this is my son Gideon." I had not noticed Gideon's approach. Seeing the two men standing side by side I could see the resemblances. They both oozed deviousness. I did not like either of them one bit but I smiled as if I was pleased to meet them.

"This is Emilia," a young woman stepped forward. She wore the same dress that Myla wore. "she is here to assist Miss Markworth on her first day." Emilia nodded and gave Myla a tentative smile.

"Follow me please." Emilia said. She was clearly uncomfortable in the presence of so many high-ranking officials including Tristan. Myla gave my arm a squeeze before following behind Emilia. I sighed, now it was my turn.

"This must be Gwendolyn." Robert turned to me a gave me a sickly smile. "You are the picture of beauty." I merely nodded. "The King wishes to meet you before you begin meeting your suitors." I blanched. Why would the King want to meet me?

"My Father has merely taken an interest in you is all Gwen, I spoke of you to him." My insides turned. The Prince had spoken about me to his father, the King. I was beginning to feel faint.

"Your Highness you should off to meet your tutors." Robert said, Tristan's face scrunched up.

"I will once I escort Gwendolyn to meet my father." Tristan replied his tone brusque.

"Of course Your Highness, Gideon go with them." Robert smiled before retreating.

"I will see you this evening Gwen." My father stepped forward and pulled me into a tight embrace. I fell into his arms, relishing how safe I felt in them.

"I love you Papa."

"I love you too Gwen." He too disappeared. Tristan stepped forward and offered me his arm. I glanced at Barric, I was not sure if it was all right. He gave me a curt nod and I took Tristan's arm.

"Thank you." With Barric and Gideon behind us we headed towards the double doors Tristan had appeared from. The doors led to a massive entryway. The vaulted ceilings made me even smaller. "Wow." I muttered under my breath. I had only seen a peek of the castle and already knew the entire place would be lavish.

"The castle was built two hundred years ago by my ancestors. Originally the capital was on the eastern side of the country but once we established better foreign relations across the sea my ancestors thought it advantageous to have a major port near the capital." Tristan said as we walked.

"I did not know that." I had only ever been to the port once when I was very little. All I remembered was it was extremely large and reeked of fish.

"My tutors have ensured that I had extensive knowledge of Laymeria's history. You can see why I am avoiding them at all costs." He chuckled. "Well not that I am using you to get out of work by any means, I mean I wanted to see you, avoiding my tutors was a perk." He stumbled over the words, flustered.

"I know what you meant." His behavior relaxed me; it made me feel more comfortable in this unfamiliar environment. I had been lost in conversation when we arrived to another set of double doors. These were by far larger; I had not thought that possible given the grandeur of previous set.

Armed guards stood on either side, as we approached they reached for the handles. With considerable force they heaved the massive wooden doors open. The doors were made of redwood, which explained their monumental size. When redwood was harvested the redwood profusely produced sap the wood was then blasted with high heat, this caused the sap to harden forming a glassy barrier on the surface. The worst part was that when the sap was heated it resembled freshly spilt blood. The doors renewed my unease. The builder had chosen to use redwood likely for this exact purpose. Reinforcing the monarchy's power as well as its willingness to spill blood when necessary.

"Deep breath." Tristan whispered. The room behind the doors was even grander than the rest of the castle. The vaulted ceilings rose higher than I thought possible. Massive columns lined the walls directing the eye to the end of the room. The pristine marble floor raised a few steps creating a dais. Upon the dais was a solitary throne. It was of a simple design made of blackwood with a high back and intricate designs carved into the feet and spine. What lay behind the throne caused my blood to boil.

A massive dragon skull hung behind the throne, the bone deep ebony. Fury rose in my belly. I knew the King hated dragons but this was different, this was cruel, this was sickening. My brow tensed I could not take my eyes off the skull. My gut told me it was Emera's skull that hung as a trophy on the wall. Grief overcame my anger.

"Gwen?" Tristan nudged me.

"What?" I replied dumbly.

"Is everything okay?"

"I..." I was at a loss for words.

"Beautiful is it not?" A new voice interjected from just behind me. I whipped around frightened at their proximity. A foot or so behind me the King stood a grin on his face. He and Tristan shared no similarity; he must have garnered his looks from his mother. I knew little about the Queen, only that she had died when Tristan was very young and that the King did not take kindly to her death. A gold band that was studded with emeralds hid clipped blond hair. A hooded brow hid his deep-set hazel eyes; they pierced into my soul, searching for something. An involuntary shiver crawled up my spine.

"My King." My words wavered. I slid into a deep curtsy.

"My my, Tristan did not exaggerate your exquisite beauty Gwendolyn." A faint smile quirked at his lips he reached out and brushed a curl from my face, I tried my best not to cower back. "She is merely enthralled at the magnificence of our new decorations." Enthralled was not the word I would have used to describe my reaction. "Do you know what it is my dear?"

I could not manage words so I shook my head. "It is a dragon skull, new. The last dragon I might add. Tristan here heroically slaughtered the terrible beast." My stomach rolled and threatened to dump its contents. "Ah, but let's not bore you with that. I am King Cerin Apollyon." He gave me a deep bow. I had alone spent a moment with the King and I already severely disliked him. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

183K 5.8K 28
Okay so basically I didn't finish editing but you can read and cringe at your own free will. There is a gap though. ELEMENTS OF THE STORY -A name ...
105K 2.6K 25
{ UNEDITED!} - Basic info: CW. - contains slight deaths •🌷 I wrote this when I was an early starter writer, so I apologize for some grammar or rook...
35.7K 410 9
I'm not the best at description but I do hope you enjoy my first fanfiction ever. I don't own anything dragon ball related but the story.
1.9K 22 17
Sanegiyuu angst and fluff :) This is my first story so it might be bad No smut yet bc idk how to write it