Circus of the Beast

By ElephantSuns

Keelia Adams grew up in a wealthy family with a beautiful mother, a kind father, and two elder sisters. Then... More

1
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18 : Epilogue

2

90 4 0
By ElephantSuns

The path was long and full of interesting little creatures that Keelia had never seen before. There were small blue birds that had wings glow with the brilliance of a night star above Keelia's head. She spotted insects that she would have assumed were ants, but their bright colours surprised her. They were marching in a line all the way back to their home.

Home, Keelia sighed.

A small chipmunk seemed to be leading the way to the sweet folk music the girl could hear. Keelia had been following this chipmunk for quite a ways now and watched as the little thing scurried up trees and down minty green bushes. The footsteps Keelia took left delicate glowing prints in her wake.

Keelia glanced to her side, observing a doe and her fawn watching intently as Keelia passed by. The doe had such magnificent hazel eyes that matched her fawn. Keelia couldn't help but gasp at the beauty of the glowing forest. Her hand brushed a tree trunk and she saw it glow to a nice warm brown, the color of caramel. Her fingers trailed along a violet petal and the color came to life.

Keelia had never seen such radiance in her nineteen years on the wonderful earth. She did not know such a place as gorgeous as this existed so close to her home. If only she could have had time with her family out in this place. It would have been quite enjoyable.

The sun had been long gone now, but Keelia wasn't afraid as she usually would have been. She felt peace in her heart, considering what had just happened back at her home. Her mother would have loved this place. She would have frolicked through the glowing blue and violet flowers that seemed to encase Keelia in their glorious light.

Keelia's attention was drawn to the louder sounds of violins and flutes coming just through a thick bush. Lights permeated through the shrubbery, but it seemed that the path had been closed off by it. The small chipmunk sat by Keelia's cold feet, looking up at her as if he was telling her to venture through the thick plant.

"I can't go through there," Keelia whispered to the small creature. "I would tear my skirts."

Keelia took a moment to look down at her clothing, and then sighed. It really didn't matter what she did to the gown now, it was completely ruined by mud and lake water. The chipmunk had been correct about going through the shrubbery.

She gave the little creature a laugh, "You think you're clever, don't you?"

The chipmunk appeared to nod and give a smirk in return if Keelia wasn't mistaken. What a curious thing? It was like the little animal knew exactly what Keelia had said and could understand the human language.

Without any further ado, Keelia hitched up the hem of her gown and pushed her way through the bush. The sharp needles sticking out of the branches scraped at her skin, causing the small wounds to sting. Keelia went on, refusing to have something as simple as a bush stop her from seeing who was creating such wonderful music. And they even might be able to provide help for her family!

Keelia made it through the plant, only getting caught for a moment or two within its grasp. The lights around her almost made her blind for a split second. But her green eyes beheld the glow before her. A large tent was set up in the distance. Its tarp had red and white stripes that reached all the way around the structure. Smaller tents of the same design were positioned around it, detailing snack shacks and carnival games to play.

There was a cage on the outskirts of the grounds that seemed like it could hold a very dangerous animal inside. She watched as people dressed in extravagant suits and jumpers escorted each other around and laughed with such angelic voices. Acrobats were walking on their hands and ladies were waltzing along with batons in their grips. But what caused the young woman to gawk even further was the fact that these circus performers were quite unique. Some sported antlers upon their heads, others had tails wiping out and tickling the back of their legs, among other things.

Keelia had discovered a circus. And what a splendid circus it was.

Fire Breathers were practicing closer to the big top, but Keelia was standing awestruck in the very same spot she had emerged from the bushes. She didn't even notice when two large men with huge muscles came at her sides and secured her arms in their strong grips.

When Keelia came back to reality, she screamed out. "Let go of me!"

They didn't seem to hear her slight voice among all the other circus performers that she was dragged through. Keelia gawked at the various circus performers, some of which were wearing quite revealing things that she could never find herself ever wearing.

The people who had been walking on their hands had now stopped to watch Keelia be escorted pass them in the grasps of two strong men. One woman had sparkling pixie dust on her brow, accenting her glamorous suit. Her eyes were different from what Keelia was accustomed to. Instead of a round pupil, it was slit, like a felines eye would be. The woman then hissed at her and flicked her tail about, causing Keelia to jump back as much as the strong arms would allow her.

The bronze lanterns around Keelia lit up the path to the big top, where Keelia assumed she was being taken to. A small man that had a colourful beard watched as she passed, scratching his head and muttering to himself. He had kind eyes, like a loyal dog. He smiled up at Keelia, making a goofy face to have the young woman smile, but only a little. The bearded man only came up to Keelia's waist, and she herself wasn't that tall.

The fire breathers all seemed to be staring along with everyone else. It was as if they hadn't seen a young girl in years. Everyone's eyes were on Keelia, gawking at her ruin gown, staring at her messy auburn hair, gaping at her bare feet, judging her. Every inch of Keelia's slender body was being scrutinized by these circus people. Keelia didn't even think they were people. They had an ethereal sense about them, as though they were from a mythical land only written about in storybooks that her mother read to her as a child.

Keelia turned her eyes away from the creatures around her. She couldn't stand them picking at her appearance. She knew that she wasn't beautiful. She knew that the women around her would always be better looking than Keelia ever hoped to be. They might have been more magnificent than her mother even.

The strong men eventually had Keelia enter the grand big top, batting the tent flap open with a simple flick of the wrist. Keelia was ushered inside to where a tall man in a top hat was shouting out commands to the performers practicing their routine on trampolines and balance beams. The men threw up ladies into the air and Keelia gasped at how high they went. Surely they would plunge to their early demise. But Keelia couldn't take her eyes away from the show in front of her. The performers were so elegant and brave; their costumes sparkled in the yellow glow of nearby fire torches.

One of the strong men cleared his throat, announcing their presence and interrupting the practice before them. The back of the tall man went rigid as he rolled his shoulders. His black coat had red tails and his top hat matched his dark trousers. He held a cane with a vibrant red rose on the top end. It seemed to shimmer in the dull light from the torches, but Keelia thought it was quite mesmerizing.

The man turned around to reveal a smooth tanned face. His eyes were a light hazel mixed with a rusty yellow color. Keelia observed his bronze hair falling into his face. He had a smooth jawline that aligned with a well-chiseled chin. Anyone could see that he was very handsome. Keelia didn't stand a chance of becoming an object of admiration in his eyes. Especially because the expression he gave Keelia was a stern one with no emotion at all.

"Who is this?" he announced in a deep voice. His eyes raked along Keelia's attire and she found herself wanting to cover her torn gown.

A strong man released one of Keelia's arms while the other retained his firm grip. The strong man straightened and faced the tall man with respect in his brown eyes.

This man must be the Ringmaster, Keelia thought.

"We found her just on the outskirts of the grounds sneaking around in the shadows."

Keelia frowned, "I was not sneaking around. I was merely trying to see if I-"

The Ringmaster waved a hand and interrupted her, "I don't care what your reason is. I don't care who you are. I don't care who you know. You trespassed on my grounds and you will pay the consequences."

Keelia's green eyes went quite wide. What would he do with her? All she had been trying to do was get help for her family. Was that so wrong?

Other circus members had come to watch the scene that was happening within the big top. The woman who had hissed at Keelia found a place by the Ringmaster's side and stood quite close. The small man who had the coloured beard found his position near Keelia and the strong men. He glanced up at Keelia and gave her that crooked grin that she had found such comfort in. Maybe he would come to her aid? Keelia could only hope.

"What are you going to do to me?" Keelia questioned in a trembling voice as soft as a whisper.

The Ringmaster stared at her like she just sprouted a new head on her shoulders. His frown grew to the point that Keelia didn't find him so handsome anymore. He stepped closer to her, his fingers reached out and pulled at a strand of red tangled hair.

"It seems that you have been through a rough night, hm?" He didn't say that gently, but rather with disdain. He let her hair fall from his hand and began circling about her figure. His staff grazed along her calves, taking in her measurements. His hand caressed along her waist, causing Keelia to stiffen in response. "Quite a thin lass, aren't you?" he murmured. "And your gown," he commented, "is a disgrace."

He finally found himself standing in front of Keelia once more and placed a finger upon his chin. "Despite being such a wreak, you're not unhandsome, but rather quite plain." He leaned in and placed his mouth near Keelia's ear. "I know the exact job you are fit for in my circus." He took a breath. "You, my dear," he sneered, "are going to be fed to the dragon."

Before Keelia could try to defend herself, the small man by her side spoke up with a raspy voice.

"Don't get carried away, Lorcan," he began. "She has other uses, too."

Lorcan narrowed his eyes at the small man and snickered. "What in the world do you mean, Maghnus?" He went and knelt before the short man. "You don't mean to make her a part of your long lost family, do you?" He gasped with excitement. "Ha, you're going to turn her into your fraochÚn?"

"I hadn't even thought of that." Maghnus looked at Keelia with a slight smile and then turned back to Lorcan. "We've been missing our tightrope walker for quite some time now."

Lorcan stood to his full height which towered over Keelia while the cat lady continued her deathly glare.

"You can't be considering that horrid plan," hissed the lady, her words full of venom.

Lorcan held up a finger, silencing any further outburst from her. "That is quite enough, Aibreann. I do not need your input to make a decision for my circus." He continued to eye Keelia. He observed her slight frame, her graceful posture, and her small feet while taking the turn around her body. He had already come to a decision when he first saw her. "You will serve as our new tightrope walker. You will perform on our opening night and throughout our stay here in Huntsford. Only then, will you be allowed to leave and never see us again."

Aibreann looked worried suddenly, like Lorcan had said something most dreadful and heartbreaking. However, she did not say a word for fear of angering her Ringmaster. She glared at Keelia and her attire before removing herself from the big top.

"B-but I-" Keelia stuttered but was cut off yet again.

"That is enough from you." Lorcan gestured to Maghnus. "You will deal with this girl and train her to walk on that very tightrope." He glanced towards the high wire at the top of the tent.

Surely he could not be serious! Keelia would never be able to learn how to walk across something so dangerous. But from the look on Maghnus' face, she knew that he would help her through it all. However, she didn't know if she could walk on the wire in the end anyway. She hadn't had any training for something like that in her life. Maghnus would have to be willing to deal with late nights and able to put up with Keelia's stubborn nature to get her up on something like that.

Colourful people began to go back to their respective workstations, no doubt to resume their magical choreography for the circus shows. The night sky was speckled with faraway stars that Keelia hoped she could wish upon. She just wanted to help her family, nothing more. Who knew what they were going through at that very moment! Nevertheless, Lorcan was set on having her part of his show, to be the beautiful dancer on the tightrope.

Maghnus griped Keelia's cold fingers and led her from the big top, knowing that the girl would definitely need sleep and a new change of clothes for the morning. It was a grand thing that Maghnus knew how to sew and design extravagant clothing for all the people within the circus.

Keelia followed Maghnus down a dusty path riddled with green moss that lit up with her touch. Maghnus didn't notice the brightening of the moss, but those around her did. A small, almost pixie-like girl began whispering to her partner of how the girl before her had 'the Touch' and how rare that was to see. Keelia was about to question Maghnus, but she was pulled through a small door.

It was a cozy hut, covered in vines and flowers. The hut smelled of mint and tobacco and reminded Keelia of long evenings by the fire at her home. Her father would take a puff of his pipe and her mother would be working on her cross stitching while her two elder sisters gossiped about new gentlemen in Abbey Way.

Maghnus led her to a lonely cot and convinced her to have a seat. Keelia sat down with as much elegance that she could muster, considering her apparel. It really was the least she could do to resemble what a young lady should be like. Too bad her gown didn't help with matters at all.

"Now," began Maghnus, "what were you doing in the forest at such a time?"

Keelia straightened her back. "I was only trying to find some help for my family."

Maghnus pulled up a tiny stool and sat close to Keelia and looked up into her sad features. She was a beautiful girl, of that Maghnus knew. Maybe her encountering such as circus as Sorcas de na Beast was not just a coincidence after all. Perhaps she could lift this curse that was affecting everyone within the circus grounds. But Maghnus wasn't going to bombard her with such silly tales of mystical magic and lore. First, he was going to try and calm her and help her in every way he could.

"What has happened to your family, child?" He laid a hand on her delicate one, hoping that the gesture would provide even the littlest bit of comfort.

Keelia sniffed, trying to hold back tears that were threatening to leak from her eyes. "Villains destroyed our home. They killed our staff and might have possibly slain my family. They need help!"

Maghnus could feel the sorrow in her heart, the devastation which came with losing family members or even people she had grown up with. "Now, now, dearie, you are safe here. I promise."

Keelia looked into the dark charcoal eyes of this colourfully bearded man. She could see the kindness that had affected her from before. It was soon melting away her sadness and brought her calming vibes. It was quite astonishing how easily Maghnus was able to affect her every mood. Perhaps he'd turn out to be a valuable friend to Keelia as time went on.

"Let's get you something to change into and have you get some rest. You'll have a very busy day tomorrow if we're going to get you up on that tightrope." Maghnus removed himself from Keelia's side and found her some loose fitting trousers and a satin shirt to wear as nightclothes. Once changed, Keelia gave Maghnus her gown, willing to part with it forever.

"I will try my best to fix this, however, I make no promises," Maghnus explained while smoothing his stout fingers along the smooth silk.

"What about my family?" Keelia questioned with concern furrowing her brows.

Maghnus nodded. "I shall get Lorcan to send a group of men to help your family."

Keelia watched as Maghnus left the hut and let the beige flap fall back into place. Keelia found a spot in her cot after she blew out the glowing lantern in the hut. The soft shine of the moon overhead was the only source of light as she got comfortable in her designated sleeping area. The warmth encased Keelia in a womb of safety and comfort, allowing her to drift off into a land of make-believe and paradise.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.1K 525 44
'As the creature was bowed forward, only being held up by the strength of the ropes, the ministers quickly opened up the book. The light of the torch...
10.7K 165 23
Dorothy Gale has grown up to be a much older woman. She has vague memories of a magical world called Oz, but knows that's all it was... memories. How...
278 42 30
(this is gonna be a whole book series consisting of 10 books, so be ready!!) All Daniel has ever know is running. They never stay in one place for lo...
108K 4.9K 26
By year fifteen, every girl and boy recieve a special beast bond and power. Kids would commonly get the powers of fire, nature, air, werewolf, or vam...