Lullaby

By StAl2LiGhT

(Based on the Academy series by C.L.Stone. Do not copy as a lot of this is original work from other stories I... More

1• Dance Forever With Me
2• The Guardians
3• Doctoring the Broken
4• Unraveling Our Demons
6• Wakey Wakey, Eggs & Bakey
7• Monsters are cute
8• Lycorns & Knomepyres
9• Stellar Genetics
10• Traitorous Organs
11• The Damned
12• Aries
13• Lulu Phone Home Part 1
Lullaby OneShot~ What Could Have Been
A Lulu Mini ~ Lullaby's Christmas Tree
Cover Archives
Lullaby Big News
Publishing Announcement

5• Soul Within a Soul

11.5K 463 333
By StAl2LiGhT

•A•
North

My life has always been point blank. Bad shit happens, I survive . I care for someone, I protect them. It's as simple as that.

But with Lullaby everything is changing.

I no longer see in black and white. Now there's grey areas too. She's the grey area.

Before, if we were hungry, we ate. Now I find myself thinking what she'll prefer or if it'll be the best thing for her. Before, if danger came knocking at our doors, we fought. Now I worry about if she'll be safe or if someone needs to stay behind so she's not scared. None of those situations have even come up yet. But I still worry about them.

I've never put someone's concerns or fears into my decisions before. It's always been what's best for the team. No matter what it had to be what was best for us all.

But Lullaby changes everything...

Lullaby causes me to worry constantly. She's the grey area, the things I never concerned myself with before. They had never mattered.

Emotions never makes for the best decisions and yet here I am, staring down at my soul bleeding out on the ground, wondering if she was scared while we were planning.

Did she cry for us?
Was she scared and alone while we took our sweet time?
Was she in pain?
How should I hold her?
Should I hold her?
I don't want to hurt her.

"North!"
Sean?
His voice is distant, underwater.
"NORTH! She needs you!"
Sean. What to do I do? How do I fix her?
"She won't last much longer! Mark her now!"

Lullaby needs me. My baby needs me. Focus.

I clench my fists at my sides before looking at Doc. I no longer stared down at our beautiful soul in pathetic wide eyed horror. My eyes were determined slits looking right at the man who'll tell me how to fix her," What do I do?"

Sean looked horrified. I tried not to let that get to me. A scared Doc was bad news.
"Bite her. Wherever you want, just bite her!"

I nod and crouch down beside the tiny gem of a girl who looked like some stellar goddess as she lay there on her stomach. The sight was sinister yet lovely at the same time. Lovely only because her blood was so alien.

I'd never heard of a soulmate reacting to soul neglect this way. Usually it's fire. They burn within until they slowly turn to ash - blowing away like a distant memory when it's all over.

I knew of this one child - Mira. It was about a century ago. She'd been found when she was a little tyke and had the prettiest red hair, like red fire. She always followed me around annoying the hell out of me.

Her guardians had finally found her when she was six and were getting their home ready to take her back to. They never returned for her...

Demons had attacked them just as they were leaving, damning little Mira to a painful death. Her soul neglect had been odd. No one had seen a soul disintegrate like that in centuries.

She faded.
Just faded into the air like dust in the wind.

I remember it well. I should, seeing as I held her in my arms as it happened. Little brat kept babbling about her guardians as it was happening. She kept saying things like," Where's Valentine?" " Is Sawyer coming back?" "When is Robin going to be here?" "I want my Damon!"

It broke me to watch her. I lied that day. I lied to her. I told her they would be there soon. Luke's dumb ass was over there cracking jokes with her trying to get her to smile.

We found out later on, that Mira hadn't been entirely human when she was born like other souls. Most soulmates are born human before their soul lights within them making them ours forever. But Mira's father had been elven.

The fae are an odd bunch. They hide in their forests inside their stone and glass palaces, hidden from the world. They rarely interact with the outside world. Elves in particular are the least sociable of the fae.

Her father had been the exception apparently. He'd fallen in love with a human woman and had Mira.

So that leads to the question : what exactly is Lullaby?

Her soul neglect was by far the oddest and most painful looking I'd ever seen. Her body was covered in a fine layer of soft frost, the skin beneath it dreadfully blue. There were patches along her skin that were purely ice. Her beautiful body was covered in cracks and fragmented splinters. Those cracks trickled her mysterious looking blood onto the ground in a puddle - midnight blue with tiny golden specs.

Mira had odd blood too...liquid gold with veins of silver, like Olympian marble.

My poor baby looked like a porcelain doll that fell to the ground and shattered. Splintered webs that were all the same color as her blood covered her entire body. The worst to see? The crack that went from her right cheek across her nose and in between her eyes to her forehead.

In reality though the worst was her back.

Sean had cut the disgusting grey shirt that barely spared her modesty off of her. I'd bet every car I owned she's had that thing since she was a child. She was a tiny young adult, so her growth spurts wouldn't of been dramatic between her childhood and now. I'd bet she wore that thing since before she was in Kindergarten.

Her back looked like shattered glass tossed into a blender with blueberries. Frost forming over the mess and in the puddle around her. Her blood was literally freezing.

Sean picked something off the ground, it scraped against the concrete floors. His eyes widened more and more as he raises it towards his eyes. "Oh god.", he gasped out as if in pain.

"What? What is it?", I growled out. His eyes met with mine as he held open his hand for me to see. I peered at the object in his hand with furrowed brows. It looked like piece of porcelain or a broken off shard of a plate and was covered in the navy blue substance that flowed through her veins.

"It's her skin.", he choked out.

I know my face mimicked his. We both turned to look down at the broken girl and both reached out to her limbs where the damage was less severe. I lost the ability to breathe.

Her skin felt...dead. Soulless.
Cold marble. Lifeless.
No warmth came from her skin and it didn't give way like normal flesh did.

It was like she'd become a doll, or a statue.

Sean suddenly looked up at me,"Turn her over and bite her. Now!"
I nod. We both carefully turn her bare body over. Her body cracked as it shifted, both of us wincing as if we'd done it to her ourselves. I admired her in secret, although I wasn't happy with her appearance. She needed weight on her. Severely needed it. She looked like a child instead of a woman and was borderline skeletal.

Did they ever fucking feed her?!

I snarled before leaning down until my mouth hovered over her right breast. Sean snorted," Really?"
I smirk," This will be my spot forever. I won't do it haphazardly."

I gave the sweet little tip a gentle lick, trying not to dwell on how it felt like licking marble. I froze when she let out a small noise and shifted. Her body crackled and crunched making her whimper softly. Sean began to pet her hair and her cheek," Shhhhh. Everything's okay. We're here now."

Sean gave me a glare that sent a chill down my spine. He hissed out between his teeth," Do it!"

I nod, turning back to her breast. My lips parted, fangs unsheathing from my gums. I let out a shuddering sigh as the feeling of releasing my true self washed over me.  It felt like stretching out cramped muscles, like bedding a beautiful woman.

A shroud of shadow cocooned us all, black feathers fluttered in the air.

I quickly sunk my teeth into her breast. A small 'chink' noise sounded as my fangs pierced her skin.

I let out a pleasure filled groan, eyes squeezing shut, as her blood filled my mouth. It was the taste of something foreign, not an actual flavor but a picture. It was the taste of moonlit nights, of starlight and solaris, of galaxies and magic.

My eyes began to burn with the power her blood gifted me, as did my heart after the first trickle went down my throat. It was a cold fire, the fire of stars, that electrified my heart and bound itself around it like iron. The power of her blood shifting my eyes.

I'd heard of the effects a soul's blood can have on their guardians. It empowered them greatly. It gave them a pleasure so fierce it bordered on hellish. More than anything it lets the guardian see into the heart of a soul - the soul within a soul. That orb of living magic that made them what they are, that mutated based on their true self.

And hers was absolutely stunning.

I saw it all. I felt it all.

She was the endless starlight that sped through the darkest space of the universe - carefree and innocent. She was the darkest swirling black hole hidden from sight - a force to be reckoned with, yet unseen as one until it was too late for those who underestimated her. She was a cosmic storm swirling in a glorious rainbow of lightning and particle dust clouds - playful and stunning. She was the lonely stray comet that sped by the universe never able to be a part of all that she passed. She was infinite and vast - forever creating worlds of her own.

And then I heard the most beautiful melody I'd ever been blessed to hear. It was unusual that's for sure. A soul's heart doesn't sing.

But hers did.

It was a very slow, haunting lullaby sung in broken tones and echoed eerily. The voice was without a doubt hers but it cracked like a static filled mic on an abandoned space station, yet her voice was absolutely beautiful.

Starlight.
sun's might.
Of the dust I form.
Oh galaxy.
Dear galaxy.
Where will I be warm?

In infinity.
in eternity.
Lays a lone sun.
In serenity.
in clarity.
A star's fire burns ~
so bright.
In infinity.
oh infinity.
It awaits you,
to form.

Oh galaxy.
Dear galaxy.
Where may I play?
It's so dark here.
The cold severe.
No longer is there day.

Oh galaxy.
oh galaxy.
Where may I play?
For no longer is there day.

In infinity.
in eternity.
Lays a cosmic storm~
In serenity.
in clarity.
It burns and churns~
with smoke and light.
Igniting within
the darkest night.
In infinity.
oh infinity.
It awaits you,
so forlorn.

That song broke my heart. I could practically see the child version of our lullaby floating amidst the infinite dark space in a fetal position.
Alone, desolate, cold.
Just waiting for life to be in her grasps. She can see it from afar but never is it within reach. She begs the skies above to give her a lifeline, to tell her how to make her dreams so.

A hand on my shoulder pulled me from the grips of her soul that was dragging me deeper and deeper within. It didn't want to let me go, even at the risk of Lullaby's life.

It was so scared.

So alone.

"North.", Sean whispered in my ear," Pull back North. Silas still needs to mark her and she can't afford to lose anymore blood."

The soul that looked like her galaxy eyes clung to me desperately before becoming a sporadic ball of cosmic energy that resembled her eyes when she uses magic - more cosmic than galaxy. It jolted around in rings of light, sparks of energy shooting out. The fuchsia, purple, and blue swirls in angry smoke.

Just before I pulled my teeth from her skin, I murmured to it through our newly formed bond,' It's okay. I'm not going anywhere.'

It hesitated, anxious. I chuckled, mentally holding it within my hands,'I promise.'

The soul calmed within my mental grasp and settled back within Lullaby as it should be. I felt the leeching the moment my teeth left her flesh.

I grunted in strain just as the others storm down the stairs. Victor let out an anguished cry and stumbled to her side. His grasped her hand between his and held it to his chest desperately. He looked up at Sean just as a sobbing Gabriel crashed to his knees at my side with hovering hands reaching out towards her. He looked as if he wanted to touch her, but was unsure if he should.

"Is she going to be alright? Is she in pain?", Victor cried out. Sean's eyes softened with compassion at their more sensitive brothers. He placed a hand on both of their shoulders," She's going to be just fine. We have to believe that. She might be in pain, but North is currently taking half."

Everyone looked over to me to see me hunched over in agony. I was panting as I felt phantom pains of everything she was going through.

The hunger eating away at all that she was. The cold consuming her being. The shattered wounds across her flesh. The heartbreak of whatever she went through while we were absent.

Worried, Sean called out to Silas," Hurry! He can't take it all on his own for long!"

I watched like a hawk as Silas knelt on the other side of her, feeling an overprotective paranoia taking over. Silas pulled her legs open and buried his head between them until his mouth was resting on her inner left thigh very close to her privates. Every guy in the room groaned in desire. All thankful she still wore panties.

"Silas!", Sean chastised him.

Silas merely looked up and smirked," This mark is forever."
Sean groaned," You two I swear."
A guardian's mark is very sexual thing. If touched by the guardian who made it, it causes extreme pleasure to the soul. Of course we'd want them placed intimately. Like he'd be any different.

Silas released his true self. He was one of four. Only four of us had abilities. They were no where near the capabilities of a soul, but they were definitely useful.

Silas' derived from aqua.

His fangs unsheathed, his ears elongated into points, his fingers webbed, and his spine came through his back like a dragon's in a row of black titanium spikes.

He shuddered in pleasure as his transformation completed and immediately sunk his teeth into her thin thigh.

She and him made simultaneous noises of pleasure, though thankfully she didn't awaken. I did not want her hurting herself even more because she's thrashing around in a panic.

Kota has joined Gabe near her head and was petting her hair," I've never seen a deterioration like this. Poor thing."

I kept my eyes on Silas as they spoke around us. I slowly felt the strain ease away as Silas drank from her inner thigh. His eyes went through the same emotions mine did - pleasure, awe, pity, shock - until they glowed the same color of her cosmic eyes.

"I know. Her blood is literally freezing.", Sean murmured.

"Is there anything we can do?", Gabe whispered in anguish. We were not designed to watch our souls suffer. It broke our hearts, ate away at our sanity to watch them in pain.

"Afraid not. Silas and North are doing the best thing for her. Unless of course we force feed her..."

Victor immediately locked eyes with Sean," I'll do it. I'm okay with her being angry with me. I'll give her whatever she needs."

It was silent as I watched Silas take and take from her. I growled low in my throat as his eyes fluttered shut," Si! Enough! Fight it! Tell it it's okay!"

Owen stared me down from the other side of her body," What is he fighting?"
I locked eyes with him to let him know I was dead serious," Her inner soul. It clung onto me after I heard its song. I had to assure it I wasn't truly leaving it before it released me. It kept trying to pull me deeper and deeper within."

Nathan snorted," Souls don't sing dude."
I snarled at him," Hers did! When you mark her you'll hear it too!"
"That's unheard of North!", he snapped out.

I opened my mouth to argue some more. Marking her while she was in this condition was making me volatile. Victor though, broke the wave of intense anger with his sorrowful whispered words," Her voice is absolutely ethereal. Like sunshine and darkness all in one."

Sean smiles wistfully," Yes, it's very haunting to hear, in a good way of course."
"I've never heard a voice that sounded so crystal clear in my existence. Most voices have a waver or a husk to them, no matter how subtle. But hers was one of perfect clarity.", Gabriel said with a teary smirk.

Silas managed to pull himself away, eyes rolling back in his head as his bloody fangs bared, just as I said," The song I heard was hard to hear but still entrancing."
Everyone turned to look at me as they watched my eyes grow distant, staring into a place that wasn't there.

Luke placed a hand on my shoulder, careful not to touch the wings I'm so funny about others even grazing," What do you mean?"

Silas answered for me," It's staticky. Like that creepy sound spaceships make when the connection is bad in the movies. She's singing about being alone. She's talking to the galaxy asking for it to find her warmth and company."

I nod once just as he stops talking. His body hunches over in pain.

We all watch as her skin slowly mends until only the larger cracks remain, no scars of her ordeal remain yet.

Everyone sighs in relief. Sean nods a Victor," If you're sure, go ahead. She'll rely on instinct right now. You shouldn't even have to coax her."

Victor placed her head in his lap, gently brushing the lavender locks stained with her blood away from her face," Hey there princess." He didn't wait for her to stir awake or reply. I doubt he even expected her to. Victor's fangs elongated, that being the extent of his transformation, and bit into his own wrist.

"Here you go darling.", he whispered as he placed the wound he made over her blue tinted lips. It didn't take long. She sniffed the air before latching on like her life depended on it, her tiny fangs sinking into his skin.

Her fangs worked differently than ours. Souls didn't go through transformations unless it was their gift. Their fangs were always visible, but far smaller than ours.

Victor groaned pleasurably as she suckled his wound. His fingers threaded into her hair, grasping at her skull. We all sighed in relief as the frost began to melt and her skin regained its natural lily white color.

Sean took off his shirt," Alright, let's get this on her and get the hell out of here. Is the mother detained?"
Owen gave a very sinister looking millimeter smile," She is indeed."

Victor took his wrist away from her mouth and kissed her forehead before he aided Sean in dressing her. Gabriel looked around the room studiously until his eyes widened," Oh my fucking god!"

"What?", Kota asked.
Gabriel's mouth popped open," This is her room. This is where they kept her."

All of them stopped what they were doing and took in the room. They took in the tiny kid's mattress that was filthy and had springs popping out of it, holes and tears decorated the whole thing. Beside it were a small stack of books, all with library stickers on them. All there was left to see was a toilet, a sink, and a cardboard box.

Gabriel stood up suddenly," You guys see that ?" We all watched him walk towards a wall I'd somehow looked over. I suppose I was a little preoccupied with how little she owned. A shirt and a child's mattress? That's it? The books weren't even hers.

No blanket. No pillow to rest her head. No shoes.
All these things we have and take for granted, she wasn't given.
How did she bathe? Or stay warm? Did she get water from that nasty sink?

Gabriel traced the unfinished painting with wide tear filled eyes.
"Oh Lullaby."
The room we soon realized was a work of art in the making. Each wall was an eerie wonderland in progress filled with odd creatures and planets with rings in the night sky. Paper lanterns in black skeleton trees. A black silhouette palace with pointy and crooked towers in the distance. Jack-o-lanterns chasing garden gnomes. Woodland creatures with colorful iridescent butterfly wings.

Luke suddenly announced with an excited grin," Hey look!"
We all looked to where he was pointing - the ground.
That was the only finished part. Lilac grass and glowing wildflowers, some translucent, others sparkled. Many had pointed petals.

Everyone smiled.

Gabriel walked over to the box and sifted through its contents," We'll take this with us just in case it's anything she's attached too, but it's all old. It needs to be replaced."
Owen walked over to where he was," Paint supplies."
Luke smiled sadly," Her only escape was to create one. Poor lulu."

Kota looked around the room again, pausing on whatever got his attention," Looks like someone was here."
Well looked over to see what he was talking about. In his hands was a book on top of a first aid kit. Kota set the kit back down and handed the book off to Owen," It might be important to her."

"Her sister perhaps?", Sean said I surely. I snorted," I doubt it. She was as bitchy as her mom. The father maybe. He slipped through our fingers though."

I will find him.

It was quiet as we all pondered over everything. Gabe finally broke it," Come on Vic. We're going shopping. I want her spoiled rotten and we can start by getting her some shit from the mall."
Victor nodded, in total agreement," What'd you have in mind?"

Gabriel handed Nathan the box," Some clothes first of all. Poor girl hasn't owned more than a shirt that looks a decade old and a pair of pantries probably close to that. I'll have to guess the size, but that'll work for the time being. She just needs lounge clothes and pajamas until she'll be well enough to leave the house anyways."

Owen nodded at them," Take Nathan with you. Buy her all of her necessities as well. I'll pay for them."

Gabriel nodded. Luke darted over to join the group of shopping buddies," I'm coming too! I want to get her some treats!"

I didn't bother bitching at him about that, even as he looked at me like he expected me too. I waved him off," Get a good variety."
She deserved it. She deserved all of Candyland.
He grinned real big, eyes dancing with glee. I snorted at the idiot," And get her socks and shoes. Her feet stay cold."

Kota added," And some blankets. We don't really have that many."

Because we never needed them. We don't easily get cold. That's going to be a problem to make sure we remember with a soulmate so cold natured. They're usually not.

Gabriel nods," You got it. I'm going to get her some more paint stuff too. Anything else before we head out?"

Sean grinned real big," Not while your out but I have an idea for when you get back. We'll get it online and let her pick it out."
I groaned and ran a hand down my face," You are going to ruin her."

Everyone chuckled. No one disagreed.

I was starting to feel nauseous and groaned again," I'm about at my limit. Let's get her out of here. Where is she staying?"

Sean raised a hand with a huge grin on his face," With me! We're going to remodel the guest room for her."

Perfect. Sean will be right there if anything goes wrong.

Owen finished off this 'meeting' as Silas picked up Lullaby in his arms," It's time to leave. You four go ahead and go to the mall. Kota and I will deal with the prisoners. Sean, will you be okay to handle all three's care alone for a few hours?"

Sean waved him off," I got it. You just worry about making that hag pay."

Owen nodded, eyes promising vengeance will be undoubtedly be repaid.

🦋

I felt lost in time and space, drifting in a place where nothing existed. The cold was all there was. The cold and the darkness. It felt like an eternity before I began to feel anything else.

It started with my fingers and toes. Right after came my hearing. Someone had been very enthusiastic about my digits twitching. Their voice loud but garbled, indecipherable.

But that was not the moment I was freed from the darkness. A lot more time passed after that.

Then I could move my limbs. That caused someone to start petting my hair and kiss my forehead.
"Come on princess. Wake up. Let me see those pretty eyes."

But that was not the moment I was freed either.

"Everything's okay sweetie. You're safe now."

My body was slowly coming too, but my mind was still in the darkness. I didn't like it there. It was so cold. I hate the cold.

"Baby. Baby!...ugh. You're going to give me grey hair..."
"You're immortal. You don't get grey hair."
"Kiss my ass, Si."

There was no color or life. I couldn't play with Jack here either.

"Luluuuu~. I've got candy~.... It's chocolate ~~....Huh. I was positive that would work"

The moment I was freed wasn't that pleasant. I became suddenly aware of how sore I was, my body feeling like it'd been beaten thoroughly. Pain painted my skin in odd licks. My back felt as if I'd been drug across the concrete floors of my room.

Did I get cleansed?

I let out a small whimper as my mind came to, eyes fluttering open drunkenly. The first thing I saw was a walking grey suit coming over to me. That still wasn't enough to startle me awake. I felt like I'd been drugged or something - all loopy and heavy.

Mother likes to do that a lot. It makes it easier to punish me if I'm not able to react.

The suit sat on the bed, its hand cupped my face and moved it to where I could see the suit's face. The beautiful perfect man gave me this minuscule smile,"How are you feeling Lullaby?"

I blinked a lot trying to process who that was and what he said. I swallowed thickly, my throat feeling sore. His eyes widened fractionally. He quickly grabbed a clear glass with a straw and helped me lift my head," Here."
His voice was kept soft and his touch gentle.
I knew him.

Owen.

He was usually a very serious person, but now he looked at peace and gentle. I sipped at the water, coughing a bit when it hit my sore throat.

He pulled the glass away so I couldn't reach it.
"Slowly."
Then he brought it back to my lips. I listened to him and kept my sips small. Each one took some effort to swallow, but it did ease some of my discomfort. He sat my head back down when I was done.

"Owen?", I hoarsely whispered. He gave me an actual smile. It was closed lipped and small, but it was still a smile. " Yes?"
"What happened?"

He seemed to almost sink in relief. He was happy I couldn't remember for some reason. He went back to cupping my face with one of his hands and rubbing his thumb across my cheekbones," You were injured while deteriorating. I won't lie to you. Your chance of survival didn't look good, but two of us marked you and all is well."

I looked up at him, confused," Marked me?"

He looked conflicted for a moment before nodding," Yes. You remember what we told you about guardians and soulmates?"

I had to really focus on the information to pull it to the front of my mind. That led to me remembering my escape, mother catching me, and the horrific cold that haunted me in my room. Besides that everything in between was still nonexistent.

Slowly I nodded. He nodded back. He seemed pleased I was able to recall that much," You are destined for us, Lullaby. I promise you, your life will be filled with decisions you can freely make. But on this we cannot budge. You will slowly perish if we don't claim you as ours. That's what caused you to go through what you did. Do you remember that?"

I nodded slowly. I remember very clearly the soft frost covering my skin. I remember my blood coming from patches of ice. I remember my skin shattering for some reason. I also remember how it felt like my heart was slowly stopping as the ice in my veins encased it.

What was he going to tell me? I'm scared. My heart is thumping rapidly in my chest.

He seemed hesitant to continue, but he pushed on," When souls meet their guardians for the first time, a bond is formed. Nothing other than seeing each other is necessary. This bond allows us to sense you and makes your inner soul aware of our presence. The downside is that it escalates the soul neglect you've been going through for years.

The same rules apply to you that apply to us as far as this is concerned. Once you've hit fifteen years of age you'll deteriorate. We age and your soul feels abandoned. The markings stop the aging and the soul neglect. It also shows who you belong to through your aura. However, your battle isn't quite over yet. Only two of us have had the honor."

I blinked up at him. I went through quite a few emotions. First fear. Then anger and betrayal. Then understanding. Then again fear.

With wobbling lips I murmur," I don't want to feel that cold again."
His eyes soften," You won't to that degree. I promise. North and Silas are preventing that from happening. It's appeasing your inner soul for now. It won't for long, but they'll take away the strain when it comes to that. Hopefully within a week, two more of us can mark you and you'll be in the safe zone."

I'm so lost. I'm not dreaming am I?

"North and Silas marked me? How?"

He nods," They did. We have a lot to explain to you, but just know that markings don't hurt. Even if they seem scary." He ended with a knowing smile.

I'll admit I was a little scared. Everything was scary and new. Everything was changing.

"What's an inner soul?"
"Later. You've just gone through a great ordeal. You need to eat and rest." With those words he aids me in sitting up. He watches me carefully as I sway. The world had started to tilt and go dark, but the feeling had now gone away.

"How are you feeling?"
"Heavy. Sore."
He nods," All understandable. You've been asleep for two weeks. The boys have all been very worried about you."

My eyes pop open," Two weeks?"
He nods as he pulls out his phone to tap at it. " Yes. You were in a healing stasis. Do you remember why you ended up here?"

I locked eyes with him. It was as if he was trying to communicate something to me through them. Slowly, as if anchored with his gaze, I replayed the events from before. Owen would be right here. Owen would protect me.

But what do I need to be protected from? What happened?

It began to come back, little by little in little fragments that shot across my vision.

I was singing.
Mother came down stairs.
She was angry.
She threw me on the ground.
She kicked me.
.....my skin shattered?

I furrowed my brow. Owen gently rubbed my back, silently soothing me.

She was scared when she noticed.
Very scared.
She beat me and I kept shattering.
Father appeared.
He was early!

I started to excitably smile. Owen watched me carefully confusing by my reaction," Lullaby?"
I look up at him and breathe out," Daddy came home early. Where is he? Can I see him?"

Something wicked flashed through Owen's eyes before it suddenly disappeared and he leaned in towards me so his face was nearer to mine," Lullaby. Your father left as we were pulling you out of there. I saw him myself. Did he leave you the first aid kit?"

I nod slowly, my eyes looking more and more sad. Why am I sad?
"Did he leave you that book?"

"What b...?" I froze. A single image flashed through my mind: Father bending to set a book down. Him by the stairs," Goodbye Lullaby. This will be the last time we meet."

Tears fall silently.

Some sort of commotion comes from the door in this room. Someone yells loudly just outside the door," Stay back! Shoo!" The door swings open and a huffing man slams his back against the door," Dear god! They turned into animals when they heard she was awake!"

It's quiet in the room except for my cries. Sean has a huge grin with his arms thrown in the air," POOKIE!" I wipe at my tears and try to give him a smile, but it just makes my lip tremble and the tears fall harder.

I sob and bury my eyes behind my fists.
"What happened?!", Sean asks Owen with a worry filled voice. Owen puts an arm around my shoulder and squeezes me just a little," She remembered everything unfortunately."

Sean groans pitifully and rapidly crosses the room to crouch in front of me," Oh pumpkin. It's okay. Which part has you so upset? Remembering the pain? The attack? Tell me. We'll make it better. I promise. Just please stop crying." Sean sounds so heartbroken.

I sniffle and fall forward into Sean's arms. He catches me easily and holds me to his chest, where I bury my face in the crook of his neck.
"Daddy doesn't want me anymore. I don't know what to do!"

Sean holds me tightly and speaks softly into my ear," You don't have to know what to do. We do. We'll take care of everything. We'll take care of you. Everything will be just fine sweetheart. I promise."

I cry harder into his chest until I can't breathe from my nose and my head hurts. He's patient with me. He just holds me and kisses my hair. He doesn't say anything as he rocks me side to side, just let's me cry to my heart's content.

After some time I manage to stop, but I don't pull away. Sean is safe. He has been since I first met him. He kisses boo boos and makes sure I'm okay because he's a doctor. That's what doctors do.

And Owen will make sure everything's okay. Right?

I'm so scared. I'm so terrified of my uncertain future. Things hadn't been ideal, but they were consistent. I knew where I stood, I knew the rules.

I know nothing of this world. I know nothing of their world. I believe them because I've seen magic, I've seen phenomenons. But everything involved with them is confusing and terrifying. It's maddening.

And at the same time comforting.

It's surreal that these nine men want me, are designed to care for me. They've been excited for my arrival. They can't wait to spend time with me. Being around them feels right, but it also feels intimidating. They're all so big and confident and pretty.

Sean pulls away and looks down at me with his hands cupping my face," Better?"
I nod while wiping my eyes. He smiles softly and does it for me," You're going to be just fine. Do you know why?"

I shake my head slowly, the headache making my movements more sensitized. He slowly grins," Because you're gonna stay here with me in my home. You'll have nine men pining after you and spoiling you rotten. You'll get balanced meals and get healthy. You'll get your own room that's above ground and you'll get to be a silly young girl for once in your life. Doesn't that sound nice?"

I nod my head. It does. It sounds very charming, too good to be true. Will the other shoe drop now, or later when I've gotten accustomed to everything. Will it drop when I least expect it?

Are they going to be mean one day? Will they cleanse me too? Do I get punishments here?
Sean glowered at me and thumped me on the nose gently," Stop thinking so much. I promise you, no one will hurt you here. We're the good guys remember?"

I nod. He nods back, using his thumbs under my chin to raise my head higher. He lowered his head until his nose was nearly touching mine," Good. We don't punish. We don't cleanse. We don't hurt you. We do, however, make sure you're taking care of yourself. That's the number one rule for you right now: Make sure Lullaby is healthy. Got it?"

I nod again. Owen chuckles and sets a hand on top of my head," Good girl. Would you like to go see the others? They've all been very worried about you."
Sean nods with a dramatic sigh," Worried and bossy. They've been harassing me for two weeks now. North just threatened to strangle me with my own stethoscope unless I let him see her."

I giggle.
Sean smirks and taps me on the nose," Now now pookie. Keep it up and I'll have to administer the giggle cure. Giggles are dreadfully contagious you know."
I giggle again and the only thing saving me from the cure was Owen.

Sean leaned in for some reason when Owen coldly bit out," Don't. Even think about it."
Sean sits back with a pout," But Owen."
"Don't Owen me, Sean. You went too far."
"But Owennnnnnnnnn.", Sean whines and throws his head back.

My head is going side to side, watching them bicker. I tilt my head and point my finger at Sean. My finger nearly touching his nose," Is Sean in trouble?"

"No." "Yes.", they said together. They end up in a glaring contest.

I lean in until my finger pokes Sean on the nose," Bad Sean."

Sean's mouth falls open. Owen smirks and pats me on the head," That's right. Bad Sean."
I giggle and poke him again," Bad Sean!"

Sean glares at the still smug Owen," Oh, just you wait."

🦋

They told me that Gabriel was going to come in here and help me dress. Then we'd all go to the kitchen where I could see everyone again and eat.

Gabriel busted into the room like a whirlwind and came at me just as quick to pick me up in his arms and place a zillion kisses all over my face," Thank fuck you're okay."
He held me in his arms like a child as he stood and I was jerkily rocked side to side so fast I was getting dizzy again.

He pulled back to look me in the eyes, still holding me," You do feel okay, right? Are you in pain? Do you need anything?"
I hid my mouth behind a fist and shook my head,"No."

I've never been cared for like this before. Even before the incident my mother wasn't very good at mothering. She tried but I don't think she knew what she was doing.

He smirks before pecking me on the nose," If you say so. Just take it nice and easy for a while. You need anything just yell at us and we'll get it for you, okay?"

This makes me blush. They'll do things for me?

He smirks again and starts walking over to a closed door in the wall. Inside is a white bathroom. It hurt my eyes.

He sets me down on the counter and turns to the claw foot bathtub and pulls the white shower curtain back. He glances at me when he sees I'm rubbing my eyes," You okay trouble?"
And shake my head," Light hurts."

His eyes widen, then narrow as he thinks. He suddenly gets up, ruffling my hair as he passes by," Be right back."

He returns with a bunch of candles and sets them up strategically around the room. After he lights them, he hits the light switch. I nearly purr in happiness. The bright fluorescent light no longer beams off the stark white bathroom. Instead there's a soft yellow glow that lets me see better.
He chuckles," Better?"
I nod enthusiastically.

He turns back to the bath and starts messing with it. "You've been in that basement so long you've probably become light sensitive. We'll have to ease into it."

I tense when the water starts pouring into the porcelain tub like a waterfall- heavy and loud. Images of the tub back home nearly take over reality, but I reign them in as best I can. I start to look around to try to take my mind off of it and end up finding the mirror behind me.

I turn around onto my knees and look at my reflection. I wasn't allowed to look into mirrors back home. They only kept mirrors in the bathrooms and those were covered up when I was sent to clean. I never really knew why though. I just knew if I did I'd get a really bad punishment.

I tilted my head to the side taking in my features. I wasn't sure if I was pretty or not. I knew I didn't like how thin I was. I looked like a skeletal with skin pulled tightly over it. My eyes were purple and midnight blue with twinkles in them. My hair fell down below my hips in lilac strands. I was very pale and very small.

I placed a hand on the mirror and splayed the fingers before leaning in. My eyes were huge!!

I heard husky chuckling behind me and look over my shoulder to see Gabriel now standing and smirking at me," You act like you've never seen your reflection before."
I shrug," Not since I was five."
His eyes bug out and his mouth falls open," Are you fucking kidding me?! Why?!"
I shrug again," I don't know."
He runs a hand down his face and groans," Sweet Jesus. Those people."

He held his hands out towards me and snapped his fingers," Come on Trouble. Do you want me to help you?"
I nod without hesitation. I didn't know what I was doing. His cheeks lightly pink before he sighed heavily and nodded.
"Alright. You do realize you'll be naked right? ... And I'll be touching you?"

I hop off the counter, take off my undies and lift up my shirt, pulling it off. I tilt my head seeing a bright pink shirt. He looks like someone slapped him in the face with a fish, I believe the saying goes. He shakes it off and takes it from my hands," Yeah. I went with Victor to get a few things. I don't really know what you like yet so I picked out a little of everything. Do you not like pink?"

I shrug. I get a choice?

He chuckles," You don't say much."
I smile up at him widely. He snorts before picking me up and taking to the claw foot bath. He doesn't pick me up like he usually does. This time I'm carried like a princess. I wonder why.

I unconsciously cling tighter to him as I look down at the pool of clear water. He goes to set me in the water, but I hold onto his neck tighter not taking my eyes off it.

"Lullaby?"
I turn my head to bury my face in his neck.
"Hey, what's wrong?" He starts to rub my back, up and down. "I can't help if you don't tell me what's wrong Lulu."

Can he help? Can he make it better?

Deciding to give it a shot I move my lips to his ear. He shivers as they graze his earlobe when I whisper," I'm scared."

He whispers back, holding me a little tighter," Of what?"
I whisper in his ear again," The water."
"Why?"
I hesitant, but make myself say it anyways," Mommy puts me in a bath that I can't get out of. It's got a cover on it and she fills it all the way up. I don't want to drown."

He squeezes me so tight I find it hard to breathe. He seems to hold his breathe. After a while he exhales heavily.
With a still soft voice he says," Do you want me to join you? Would you feel safer then?"

I really think hard on that. Would I?
I nod slowly, as if unsure.
"Only if you want to. I can just sit beside it. Either way I'll be right here."
"You will? You won't go?"

"No I'll be right here. Every time if you want."
I nod.
"Kay."

🦋

I giggle as Gabriel rinses my hair out from behind me. He kept his boy pantries on, but got in with me. He kept getting red faced as he bathed me, but I enjoyed it. I haven't had a bath in years. I usually just rinse off in my sink. I'm not a big fan of that though. There's no hot water down there and it's too cold.

He chuckles and runs his fingers through the now conditioned locks. Gabriel says conditioner is very important when my hair is this long.

He did all kinds of weird things. He scrubbed my skin with this rough cloth to 'exfoliate' my skin. He said it was to help get rid of the peach fuzz and it'd help my dry skin.

He had a whole regimen planned for me to counteract my issues caused by starvation.

I not fed a few pale blue lines on my skin. He assured me they'd fade, I just needed more time. He said that North and Silas have been aiding my body in healing, but I needed a lot healed. It'd take longer than usual.

"Gabriel?"
"Yeah?"
"Owen said next week two more of you would mark me. Does it take three weeks every time?"
He chuckles as he wraps my hair in a towel and gets out," No. the time will shorten every time. After the next two mark you, it'll take about two weeks to balance out in your system. Then a week for the next two. And the last guy only has to wait a few days."

"Oh."

He laughs as he pulls me out and starts to dry me off. I've been watching how he did things to try to learn, but it was a lot to take in honestly.
"Yeah, oh. You know, you're taking this all really well. A few of us are worried that you're taking it too well."

I think this over as he holds my pantries out for me to step in. They're sky blue with white polka dots and a yellow rubber ducky on the butt.
" Should I be upset?"

He holds a dark purple shirt out for me to put on.
"I don't know. You weren't brought up in our world. You should've been, but that doesn't change the fact that you weren't. I mean we're saying you belong to us and have no choice. We took you from your home. We've told you that you have no choice in markings. Doesn't that at least make you angry or scared?"

He pulls down the shirt and grabs a bottle of lotion. He says it moisturizes the skin. I answer as he's getting my legs," Well... it's kind of scary. But you're all really nice and you haven't hurt me yet. And you all treat me better than anyone ever has."

He looks up at me from his crouched position in front of me. His eyes are very serious," Listen. I'm so happy you feel safe with us. I really do. But don't ever let us walk over you just because we are nice to you. If we go to fucking far, tell us. We won't get mad or hurt you because you don't agree with us. You have questions? Ask us. You're equal to us gorgeous. Not in debt to us. Do you understand what I'm telling you?"

I nod slowly. I understand. I just don't know if I believe it...

He pats me on the thigh and stands," Alright. I have some sleep pants for you to try on."
He grabs these lavender soft pants with white sheep on them. The sheep have black ram horns on them and are smiling.

I wrinkle my nose and step away from him.
"I don't like pants."
He groans," Fucking hell, you would. Just try okay."

I huff, but agree. He was nice to me. I'd try.

He sighs in relief," Thank fuck."

🦋

Now snuggled into a huge pink sweatshirt and in the sleep pants, I've come to a decision.

I hate pants.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54.1K 1.3K 41
- ! Book contains explicit content ! - _ From the life of silver chains to the world of golden spoons. Here's a story about the life of Athena Noir...
18.5M 2.1K 7
***Please note that this book has been taken down because it's been published, and you can see only the sample chapters of the published version. Yo...
20.2K 1.6K 30
When the world changes overnight, and Sang finds herself separated from the nine boys she loves, how can she survive until they are all reunited? I'...
160K 9.1K 22
Your prospects are limited when you don't exist, but Sang Sorenson has been getting by as a cashier in a grocery store after dropping out of high sch...