Grace - Elijah Mikaelson -

By Nanuri

Why is the oldest Gilbert never part of the story? Grace fled Mystic Falls after her parents died in an accid... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Gangster's Paradise (Bonus Chapter 1)
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92

Chapter 64

9.5K 317 26
By Nanuri

It was the first night Grace spent in the compound and it was horrible. After Marcel and Hayley revealed that they had captured Finn and Kol, Grace had decided to sleep in the Mikaelson's home because she was sure that she wouldn't have one calm minute in the pension. 

But of course it wasn't any better here. She could hear the racing hearts of their prisoners and their sounds of pain, which was pretty disturbing. Anyway, what robbed her off her sleep was Elijah. His bedroom was right next to the one she stayed in for tonight and she could easily hear him panting and tossing around in bed, tormented by nightmares. Whenever he woke up, Grace found herself sitting upright, ready to go over to him. But something kept her glued to spot. She wanted to be there for him, but this was simply too much. Elijah couldn't think that she was forgiving him. 

When daylight finally lit the old building, the wheel of actions continued to roll. Elijah, Nik and Grace sat on their stools at the dining table with Finn and Kol still in chains.

She felt Kol's lingering stare on her all the time and it annoyed the hell out of her. But she just gave him a cool smile. The lack of sleep and all the worry made her sensitive, but these little traitors wouldn't know that this was getting to her. 

"It's impolite to stare at a woman that bluntly, Kol." 

Elijah hissed. He obviously failed at the task that Grace mastered so easily, which was unusual for him. Esther had gotten to the root of his mind and he suffered, but it was also showing on his actions. 

"Oh, don't be jealous, brother. It just surprised me that she's still sticking around with you, I thought she wasn't that stupid. But well judging by her taste in men..." 

"Don't you dare insult her. She's done more for this family than you ever will." 

The Original vampire grabbed the knife that laid next to the plate and clutched it tightly. Grace feared that he would stick it through Kol's skull any second and she spared Nik a worried glance, who just shook his head amused. 

"Elijah, I can speak for myself, if you don't mind. And please, don't let this brat get to you, he's obviously not the position to do anything more than bark like a puppy." 

She looked Kol right in the eyes while she calmly said the words. 

"Anyway, brothers, we want you to turn away from your hatred towards us and channel your ire she who truly deserves it; our mother. Do this, and we'll welcome you with open arms." 

Finn kept his stoic expression, while Kol reached for the sweets that were placed on plates in front of him, but Nik pulled it away from him. 

"Otherwise, the denial of pastries will be the least of your concerns." 

While Nik proposed his offer, Grace watched Elijah from the side. He was fiddling with the knife and the sleeves of his suit jacket. Right now, he was the one that was giving away too much emotion that could be used against him. 

"If you just wanted my allegiance towards mother dearest, you should've said so. Would've spared me a night shackled to the wall." 

This was all the Kol Grace got the know all this time ago. He only lived for his own good, flipping sides not for loyalty, but for his advantage. They could never really trust him. 

"That was all Niklaus. I would've recommended to tear out your limbs until you comply." 

Grace brows shot up at this little violent outburst and immediately kicked him under the table. Elijah looked at her, his lips pressed into a thin line. He was barely holding it together. They needed to get him out of here. 

While gazing at her, Elijah seemed to realize what he was doing here and lowered his hands back to the table. Grace took a deep breath, hoping that he would calm now.

"I guess Rebekah would have a different response to our mother's offer. After all she always clung to her humanity unlike the two of you." 

It all shattered the moment Finn mentioned his sister. 

"Rebekah is off limits to you. If you try to pursue her, you will suffer." 

Grace tried to reach for his hand, but he shoved her away before she could even touch her, which surprised everyone around the table. Elijah was fixed on Finn, rage was crawling under his skin and he didn't even notice what he had just done.

"Esther has been trying to find Rebekah since the day she returned. I guess it's only a matter of time." 

This tipped Elijah over the edge. Suddenly, he grabbed Finn around his collar, threw him onto the table and buried his fangs deep inside his brother's neck. 

"Elijah!" 

Grace yelled at him, trying to get through him, but it was of no use. It took both her and Nik to pull him away from Finn. He violently fought their grip. It ended when his strong arms managed to shove Grace to the ground. She fell hard on the wooden floor, but fortunately didn't really get hurt. 

But it make Elijah broke out off his outburst. He stared at Grace who had fallen because of him, his lips parted in shock. Nik was by her side quickly and lifted her to her feet gently, his eyes filled with worry. 

"Are you ok?" 

Grace was still confused and processing, her eyes meeting Elijah's but she was quick to advert them. 

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just get him out of here." 

She whispered and adjusted her dress and her face back to composure. When Nik and Elijah were out of the room, she sat back on the chair, flipping her head over her shoulder. Reaching over, she dipped her index finger into the wound left on Finn's neck and then licked the blood up from her finger. Finn flinched, but sat still back on his chair.

"Hm, it's strange how the blood always mirrors the person's character. It taste treachery, madness and above all an utter bore." 

Fortunately Grace was good at covering things and let the show go on, even though inside her was a huge inner turmoil. 

"Grace, you claim to love my brother, why don't you see that this is destroying him? You know that the only way to reclaim his humanity is by making him mortal again." 

Finn stated, leaning forward and pressing a handkerchief to his neck. He really thought that he could get through to her by reasoning with her. The oldest Mikaelson liked her after all. Kol on the other hand was watching her intensely. 

"Unless of course, there's not much humanity left in you yourself, Gracie." 

The youngest brother mumbled, but Grace wasn't really paying attention. She listened in on the conversation Nik and Elijah were having outside. It was hard to keep her eyes from widening when Rebekah on the phone mentioned that Esther had found her and Hope. 

"Finn, if you ever see your mother again, you can tell her that she can stop annoying me with flashes of kids, a farm house and a better life to come. Elijah and I aren't even together anymore, so it's not worth anything to me." 

She stood up and wanted to leave, but came to a halt before reaching the door. 

"Oh, and it's you and Esther who are destroying him. Blame that on yourself, asshole." 

Throwing Finn a death glare, she exited through the door only to see Elijah walking out. She frowned and looked at Nik who pulled her aside. 

"Are you really not hurt?" 

She shook her head impatiently.

"Just my ego. What's going on? Did she really find Beks? Where's Elijah off to?" 

Nik was obviously overwhelmed by everything that unfolded in front of him right now. 

"He will meet with Rebekah. And you'll join them." 

Grace immediately shook her head again and looked at her friend as if he was insane. 

"Nik, you obviously need my help here. These two are maniacs, they'll find a way to weasel themselves out of this." 

Sighing, he grabbed her slim shoulders and looked into her eyes determined. 

"Elijah needs you more. You're the only one who can help him. My daughter needs you. I can't join her yet and I trust you more than anyone else in the world. I'm sorry to put all this responsibility on you, but right now I need you to do this. Marcel will help me here, that's not the most urgent problem now." 

She returned his gaze and saw that his words were genuine. He saw her as the only one fitting besides Rebekah to protect his daughter and his brother. Grace felt so honored by that. She reached forward and pulled him in for a tight hug. 

"Give him an hour to be on his own and then you'll follow him. Pack some things, you'll probably stay a while." 

Nodding, she kissed him on the cheek before she left to go to the pension and get her belongings. 

...

Grace had to call Rebekah to track down their meeting point, as Elijah wasn't answering her phone. The blonde would need another while before she'd reach the small diner, which meant Grace would have to spent some minutes alone with Elijah. After what happened at the compound, it would definitely be quite awkward. 

She gave herself a moment to prepare herself and then stepped through the glass doors. Strangely, the diner was completely empty except for Elijah and a waitress, even tough it should've been a busy time. 

Elijah's eyes darkened slightly when he saw her, guilt plastered all over his face. Sighing, Grace joined him in the booth he occupied, sitting down in the seat opposite him. 

"Elijah, it's ok. You didn't hurt me." 

He just stared down to his hands and didn't say anything for a while. Grace leaned back and simply let the silence overtake, words weren't actually needed. Elijah knew that she wasn't angry. 

"But I could've hurt you. Grace, just imagine what could've happened...how will I ever be able to touch you again, if..." 

Pausing, he looked away. His hand hovered over hers on the table. 

"...I've been having this dream. You're in front of me and you tell me that you're here to get me home and I...I chocked you and then bit you. It was so real, I can still feel the taste of your blood. What if something like that really happens?" 

Now it was Grace who adverted her gaze. She could also colorfully remember that moment. He just can't know. It would shatter him even more. But of course he knew way too well. Elijah saw right through her. 

"That doesn't seem like a surprise to you. You know about this...Have you seen it when you entered my mind?" 

Absently, her fingertips brushed the spot where his teeth buried into her skin. Elijah followed that movement with his eyes, the worry shadowing his handsome features even more. 

"I've not just seen it. It was me, not just an image. But it doesn't matter because you didn't know what you were doing. This wasn't you." 

She could've slapped herself for telling him, but he wouldn't just let this slip. Elijah covered his face with his hands, he couldn't bear looking her in the eyes. 

"Mother was right. I will be you downfall, Grace. It's not long until you are among all those corpses you should better..."

All of a sudden, Grace was furious. She knew what he was about to say and it made her realize that he didn't get a thing. He didn't understand that the last year was the most horrible she ever lived through. 

"...Go? After all you've done you're asking me to leave? Elijah, what are you thinking? Shall I give you a clearer picture of what I've done the last year, when you took that decision from me? I've done nothing but kill innocent people, I've abandoned Jeremy and Elena. To summarize, I made myself into a damn murderer and it was all because of you. Isn't that stupid? I changed because of a man and believe me that won't happen again. I'm not here because I come running into your arms again, I'm here because I want to help you, because I care, because you are my family. And this is my goddamn decision, so stop that macho attitude and let me decide for myself and let me help you. I seriously am the best person for it because damn, even after all what I've done I can still look in the mirror." 

It left Elijah speechless and Grace finally could let off some steam. She finally said right into his face that he did much worse things than what happened earlier and that they weren't caused by the red door, because leaving her was all him. 

The waitress suddenly appeared next to them and filled Grace a cup of coffee, but both of them didn't spare her the slightest attention. They just stared at each other, no one daring to say anything. Grace then sighed and reached over the table and clutched his hands in hers. 

"We will get through this, Elijah. We're going to be ok. And we'll protect Hope together." 

Her voice was softer now and Elijah nodded. He was couldn't express how thankful he was to have her around now. She, with her genuine ability to get right to his heart, was the only one that could safe him. 

They sat in silence for a while, before Elijah attention was drawn back to the door. Grace immediately turned around and a wide, joyful smile spread on her face when she saw Rebekah entering with a baby carrier held tightly in her arms. 

Elijah and Grace stood up simultaneously, while Rebekah carefully placed the carrier on the table. Grace let the siblings welcome each other first and she curiously leaned over to finally see Nik's daughter. 

"Oh, hello, little girl!" 

She cooed and smiled widely when Hope happily giggled. Suddenly, Grace got very emotional and tears stung in her eyes. 

"God, she's so perfect." 

Turning to Rebekah, the women slung their arms around each other and enjoyed this long overdue hug. 

"I missed you, Gracie." 

Grace quickly wiped her tears away and shortly gazed at Elijah who held the baby in his arms, gently rocking her back and forth. It made her want to cry even more. 

"Yeah, it wasn't half as fun without you, Beks." 

It was obvious how much happiness this little girl brought into Rebekah's life. She never had seen her so calm and considerate before. This experience made her grow as a character. Rebekah was a strong woman now, those childish dreams of high school and cheerleading were far away. 

They all sat down back in the booth. Grace sat beside Elijah, barely able to hide her excitement. Her hands were on his arm, watching the little girl staring up to them. She was so quiet and calm, as if she could feel that Elijah and Grace were her family. 

"It's so nice to finally meet you." 

Carefully, Grace stroked Hope's soft cheeks and earned another giggle for that. Grace didn't have that much experience with baby's except for the time when she was a child when Jeremy was still a baby. She could barely remember that. 

"So big, so perfect. I can't imagine the joy it must bring to spend every day with her..."

His gaze fell to Grace, overwhelmed by the joy she showed around Hope. She smiled up to him and her eyes shone brightly. It was then when Elijah realized that there was hope for him, if he just kept his family together. If he just protected those precious persons that filled his existence with sense.

"It feels so human." 

Rebekah had a light smile on her lips. She was surprised to see Grace and Elijah that close together, but she was also very happy that it was like that. It had been painful to see these two apart. 

"Yes. Some must argue the most human of experiences." 

Elijah seemed so changed now. His gentle manner touched Grace deeply. 

"I know I have to give her back to Hayley when the time is right...but it made me realize how much I want that child on my own." 

Looking up to her friend, Grace gave Rebekah a sympathetic look. She herself had to admit that this thought of having lost the ability to create life wasn't her favorite part of being a vampire. Grace had lied straight into Finn's face earlier. Of course the thought of a family of her own was tempting. 

"It's a lovely dream...unfortunately beyond our reach, considering the curse of our existence." 

Rebekah shot Grace a worried look. She probably hadn't heard the full extent of what happened to Elijah when their mother held him captive. 

"Mother tortured me for days with memories I thought were long buried...and then, she made an offer. To make us all mortal again. So we had the opportunity to even start families on our own."

His gaze was on Grace when he spoke about that. 

"...You know, sister, mother thinks with putting us into human bodies we will regain some sort of...purity. I have to confess, the invitation, however cruel the delivery, had a certain...appeal."

Elijah's expression was pained again as he looked back the baby in his arms. They all were silent now, the women not sure what to say about that. He was right, they all knew it. Elijah wanted to this as much as Rebekah, he wanted to have a family, children and to make Grace happy. 

Rebekah's eyes then fell onto something and Grace frowned lightly at the blonde's horrified expression. Thankfully, Elijah didn't notice it. 

"Seems like she needs a diaper change. Gracie, would you mind?" 

She immediately knew that Rebekah wanted to make her aware of something, so Grace nodded. Elijah carefully placed the little girl into her arms and smiled lightly at her. His whole posture was protective, he even attempted to help her up now that the unfamiliar weight of the child laid in her arms. Grace could only imagine what a loving and caring father he would be. 

Ripping away from the spell her placed on her, she walked towards the restroom with Rebekah. Her eyes widened when she suddenly saw blood smeared over the counter. The women shared a look and then the blonde Original pushed the door to the kitchen open, only to reveal a dozen of brutally mutilated corpses. Both of them struggled with keeping from gasping when they saw it, trying to not make Elijah aware. They both glanced back to him, not really processing what they just saw. Rushing into the bathroom, Rebekah and Grace stared at each other. 

"There's no way in hell that this was him." 

Grace whispered, clutching Hope to her chest. 

"It must be. There was blood on his sleeve. What the hell did Esther do to him?" 

Rebekah paced up and down, panicking slightly. None of them had thought Elijah capable of something like that. Of course he was no threat to the baby, but this could draw Esther's attention towards them and such capability of violence was never good around a baby. 

"Believe me, it was bad. His whole mind...all that darkness that he suppressed all this time is now out to play. I don't think he really realizes what he just did here."

"And what are we supposed to do now?" 

The blonde asked desperately and Grace's mind was racing. Then, she took a deep breath and handed Hope over to Rebekah. 

"What we have to do." 

Her friend immediately understood and nodded. Together they walked out again. Elijah stood up when he saw them and put the carrier back on the table. 

"All ready to go." 

Grace forced a smile on her face and positioned herself slightly behind Elijah while Rebekah put Hope into the carrier. The trio looked down to the little girl. 

"It's hard to believe we were all that innocence once...We must protect hers at all cost."

The youngest vampire among them placed her hands on Elijah's shoulders. 

"You're right, we must." 

With that, she suddenly snapped his neck in one swift movement. She caught his broad body and gently let him sink to the ground. Taking a deep breath, she looked up to Rebekah. Both of them had no clue what to do now.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.1K 227 15
what if the originals never came to Mystic Falls? What if there was another doppelganger before Elena and after Katherine? would Elena still meet Eli...
11.6K 236 14
Emil Gilbert is the adopted older brother of Elena and Jeremy Gilbert. He's the quiet sibling. He's the mostly unwanted Gilbert. He doesn't give a sh...
91.3K 2.4K 49
What happens when Leah Gilbert returns to her town a little over a year after the death of her parents. Everything has been turned upside down. Vampi...
69.5K 2K 42
"๐‹๐ž๐ญ ๐ข๐ญ ๐ง๐จ๐ญ ๐›๐ž ๐ข๐ฆ๐ฆ๐จ๐ซ๐ญ๐š๐ฅ, ๐ฌ๐ข๐ง๐œ๐ž ๐ข๐ญ ๐ข๐ฌ ๐š ๐Ÿ๐ฅ๐š๐ฆ๐ž, ๐›๐ฎ๐ญ ๐ฅ๐ž๐ญ ๐ข๐ญ ๐›๐ž ๐ข๐ง๐Ÿ๐ข๐ง๐ข๐ญ๐ž ๐š๐ฌ ๐ฅ๐จ๐ง๐  ๐š๐ฌ ๐ข๐ญ ๐ฅ๐š๏ฟฝ...