Blessed Combat

De SweetSurprise123

With Earth destroyed the remaining survivors have to get accustomed to their new life in the virtual reality... Mais

Copyright notice
Important (Even to ongoing readers)
1 - An odd little conversation
2 - Having a guest for the first time
3 - Pop! Goes the weasel!
4 - Hero
5 - Questions, answers and the third companion...
6 - Shock Treatment
7 - Friends
8 - Final Decision
9 - Training With Interesting Results.
10 - Advice and Trust
11 - Frienemies, enemies and a lead to the past.
12 - The First Trial With A Lot In Store.
13 - The Game of Cat and Mouse
14 - Friends and Four Reasons Why
15 - Finally...
16 - Warm Feelings and The Unwanted Guest.
17 - A Better Insight of the Past
19 - Can Never Hate You...
20 - Lucky and Not So Lucky
21 - Back To Square One
22 - The Road To Recovery And Discoveries.
23 - Cakes and Wedding Rings
24 - Several Leads, The Faint Voice And The Answer.
25 - The Good, The Bad And The Unexpected.
26 - Project Blackwood
27 - Grimm Tales
29 - Self Discoveries
30 - Stab's Mini Adventure!
31 - Conflicted and Muddled Up Feelings.
32 - Last Minute Decision
33 - Turning The Tables.
34 - The Traps And The Results.
35 - Identity Of the Legendary Player.
36 - Virus And The Bad News.
37 - Another Set Of Mysteries And The Plan
38 - The Climatic Final Trial
39 - The Choices They Make
Epilogue
Sequel Announcement.

18 - Decluttering Two Overthinking Minds.

505 26 6
De SweetSurprise123

Arma was in that state of nearly being awake, with the feeling of hearing and being aware of his surroundings but yet at the same time, he couldn’t bring himself to open his eyes to blink back the fuzziness of his sleep and move his lips to talk. He could tell that he was no longer in the kitchen and probably in his bedroom, the place he was in had that calming feeling. However, Arma felt like he was drowning more and more into a thick substance in which he recognised as sleep, which was funny because just a while ago it seemed like he was about to be awake. He guessed he was wrong then.

There was a muffled voice though; it was barely distinguishable, like it was speaking through a thick fog. Arma cringed in his sleep, furrowing the gap between his eyebrows uncomfortably. Eventually the muffled voice became clearer, breaking through the fog which was growing less dense. Arma slowly opened his eyes and blinked back the glare of the white light. He realised he was sitting sprawled on the floor in an unknown room. The tall lad abruptly got up to find it was a sealed room with no doors or windows whatsoever, he was trapped.

“Yay! You finally woke up Sawyer.” Arma turned to find Oliver standing right behind him and he relaxed once he knew that he wasn’t physically trapped as he thought. Oliver had summoned his consciousness once again. He let his shoulders sag lightly and loosened his fist to a more relaxed position.

“Oh it’s you...so why did you summon me Oliver?” Despite having that oversized hoodie that concealed most of his face, Oliver smiled brightly before he sat down crossed legged in the sealed room, encouraging Arma to do the same. The Pikachu hoodie wearing guy inched closer towards the tall lad who didn’t cowered away. After all, he had enough encounters with this phenomenal person to be wary of him and Oliver had helped him several times. It was time to do the favour.

“I want to answer some of the mysteries that your friend, Zatch had been solving for a while. Before that, I want you to be aware what those mysteries are. Whatever I say, you must promise me that you will believe them since it happened and I am not joking. Although, it is your choice whether to believe me or not.” Oliver started, holding out one finger as if trying to prove his point. Arma puckered his eyebrows together in puzzlement before nodding blankly.

“Good, first off and straight to the point, like Zessica, there are some memories you have forgotten when the Taboo occurred.” Arma gawked at the peculiar guy before him for several minutes, letting the words sink in before flaring up in the heat of the moment. A part of him wanted to ask whether Oliver was joking, whether he was pulling a prank but due to unknown reason, another part of him knew that Oliver would never lie to him. It was a strange feeling, being in denial. Questions started piling up from one thing to another and before Arma could go blank, Oliver spoke up again.

“I know you must be a bit confused right now but let me explain a bit to make it a bit clear hmm? When the Taboo occurred, you were with your childhood friend Phoenix and Zatch at their apartment, watching the trials live with that television. When someone destroyed more than half of the game stadium, you passed out, losing the memories of your first two years after Doomsday in the process.” Arma stared at Oliver, still completely lost at what was going on. Was he dreaming? Was he dreaming about another encounter with Oliver?

“Hehehe, no you are not dreaming Sawyer...this is happening and in fact, very real” Oliver chuckled lightly who laughed even more when Arma gave him the most bamboozled face he ever wore in his life.

“You can read my mind?!” Arma cried out loud, surprised and horrified at the same time.

“Sort of...let me explain first. Let’s start with the day after Doomsday arrived. As you know, all the survived children were sent to three different orphanages while they wait till their parents pick them up or just stay there as orphans. You were in a different orphanage, separated from Phoenix and Zatch. You were in an orphanage where Zessica and Euphino were. Yes, Sawyer...Euphino is one of your childhood friends, but you forgotten.”

Arma was sure that without looking at a mirror, he knew his jaw was pretty much hitting at the white floor by then due to shock. That annoying bastard was his friend? Honestly? Now he was sure of it, he was dreaming. He couldn’t be friends with that kid! He can’t even remember...oh...

“Oh indeed.” Oliver chuckled again. “You weren’t in the orphanage for long though. Just half a year. You left when you won an apartment in a duel. Remember the apartment with water dripping from the ceiling? Yea, that one. You still managed to drop by the orphanage to meet Zessica and Euphino but after another six months Zessica started living with Ophelia and Euphino was the only one you meet in the orphanage. You met Ophelia too and would visit her house to check on Zessica occasionally. However, as time stretched on, people started hating you for this raw power you had inside of you. They all started viewing you as a beast, the ‘Lone Wolf’ so to speak. Because all this pressure, you stopped visiting Zessica and Euphino. I know this is a bit hard to believe but try to keep up okay?”

“How do you know all this?” Arma asked, slowly starting to accept the reality of the situation. Sure he did harbour some doubts, like why didn’t Zatch and Phoenix tell him he was in a separate orphanage? However, he still had the feeling that Oliver here was telling the truth. Why he felt that way was beyond what his mind could comprehend at the moment.

“I am part of the core of the AI. The AI had witnessed the Taboo at first hand. Anyway, for some strange reason, when the Taboo occurred you passed out for like five minutes. During those five minutes, you could have been passed off as dead. Once you woke up, you lost your memories. Your friends Zatch and Phoenix had known this all along but they kept it from you since they didn’t know how to break this to you. You can’t really blame them since you were fine without those memories.”

As Oliver explained, Arma could recall a very brief but very much distorted memory of passing out in some apartment. It wasn’t clear for it was staring at a very thick black fog but the experience of that event was difficult to pass off as imagination. The tall lad saw Oliver nodding, as if reading his mind again and confirming that he was right.

“So, I met Zatch and Phoenix when exactly?” Arma asked curiously.

“A year after Doomsday. You met Stabs a few days later after you rejoiced with your childhood friend again. They managed to find you through all the duels and Blessed Combat trials you took part. You might be intrigued to know that since Blessed Combat occurs twice a year, this is your fifth time participating in Blessed Combat trials again.” Arma would have sworn his eyes was bulging out from mystification so much, it almost popped straight out of its sockets. He couldn’t believe it! It was his fifth?!  

“I know, I know, with all the memories being lost and all it’s hard to digest huh? So let me tell you the answer why you even lost those memories in the first place.” Oliver stated lightly, causing Arma to stiffen and perked his ears in interest. Things were just getting more absurd by the second but after living under the same roof as Zessica, he had mastered the skill of going with the flow. The tall lad found Oliver chuckling amusedly again, causing Arma to grow red in embarrassment before Oliver resumed his explanation.

“Simply put, someone stole them. Same with Zessica and Euphino. He took those memories from you and several other players who had witnessed him in the time of the Taboo.”

“The Phantom Dancer?” Arma cried out loud, failing to suppress the excitement in his voice. He once again withered in shyness but it seemed Oliver didn’t mind for he simply nodded.

“Yes, the Phantom Dancer. He took those memories from you. He is the one who made you pass out as well. It’s not the right time to tell you how and why but I will tell you some other time, you have my word on that. Plus your memories aren’t damaged, he, the Phantom Dancer has it safe within his hands.” Arma almost complained and whined like the immature guy he was only to hold back. He needed to respect Oliver after all. He was the reason that Arma was finally getting on good terms with his Major and was able to protect Zessica when Fog and Silver were hell bent on killing her in the first trial.

“Second of all, your Major. It’s not as you think it is. There is more to it than what the eye sees, not even your friend Zatch can identify it. The Phantom Dancer had left a gift to you somewhere which gives a better understanding of it than what you have on it now. I don’t know where he sent the gift but it is given to you somehow.” Oliver proceeded once more, causing Arma to frown again.

“What business does the Phantom Dancer have with me anyway?” Arma asked finally for this question had been nagging at the back of his mind for a while. Oliver cocked his head to a side, as if thinking of an answer before giving a somewhat mischievous smile at the tall awkward lad.

“Well, back on Earth, the Phantom Dancer was one of your friends. He had taken those memories from you as well so of course you wouldn’t remember. You could say he did this to you as something like a last resort?” Arma was about to ask why he would do that when Oliver raised one hand, silencing him. The tall lad then remembered that Oliver said that this wasn’t the right time to explain so he kept his mouth shut again.

“Yes, it’s not the time. In fact, our time is running out for now, but let me tell you this. This is an advice that you must follow no matter what.” Arma nodded furiously, noticing the room that was flawless just a while ago was having several cracks in a branch like network at the corners of the room, stretching it to the ceiling.

“Zessica is an honest kid, but when it comes to herself, she is a liar. She may look strong, but in the inside, she is weak. There will be a day when she loses her guard and put down her defences and break down. It might not be a pretty sight considering she might be suicidal but when that happens, look her straight in the eye okay? Straight into her eyes. If there is no eye contact between you and her she will jump off a cliff and end her life. When you look her in the eye, she will hesitate and will doubt the reason why she has to jump. Talk to her normally like you always do, pursue her a bit, convince her enough reasons to live and most of all, promise her that you will always be there for her.”

Arma narrowed his eyes suspiciously at Oliver who smiled sadly at him. Something about what he said as an advice sent chills down his spine. There was something...off about it. He knew something was there but he didn’t know what that particular something was. Did that made any sense? In return, Arma saw Oliver nod.

“Yes I know that feeling. Farewell for now Sawyer.” With that, the whole room fell apart and Arma found himself falling, plunging into the great darkness below.

“Arma, wake up.” The tall lad woke up from his slumber with a jump, causing the short girl beside him to flinch momentarily. Arma looked around, his eyes scanning the room wildly as if he was checking whether he was safe. Once his eyes settled on Zessica, who was staring at him with curiosity, Arma let himself a sigh of relief. He could remember what Oliver said to him in their last few minutes, but he still couldn’t find himself to accept that he had lost his memories too.

“Are you okay?” Zessica asked quietly, patting on his shoulder. Arma nodded before glancing at the shorter girl, for once noticing her different attire style. She was wearing a long sleeved checkered shirt with the shades of dark green and black. A grey vest was over the shirt and she wore knee length black shorts with accompanying combat boots. Instead of laces, her boots had three buckles.

“Going somewhere?” Arma asked, groggily getting up from bed. He placed a hand on the shorter girl’s forehead, noting down mentally that her fever was gone and so was her cold before brushing it away. Zessica didn’t complain as he did this and answered his question.

“Yea, Stabs invited me out on a movie today. He said he would have invited you too but the tickets ran out. I came in to your room to tell you that when you seemed to be having some sort of weird dream...” Arma frowned lightly, noticing how close these two friends of his were getting but didn’t comment on it. He was more or less surprised how Zessica accurately guessed what kind of dream he was in just by looking at the state of his face.

As they went down to the kitchen on breakfast, out of the blue, he heard Oliver’s advice and explanation of him losing his memories too hitting him like a sack of bricks. Truth to be told, he felt a bit uncomfortable with the new information and even more distressed to find that he was actually going to trust Oliver. Who was Oliver anyway and what did he want with him? Why did he want to help? Sure he had introduced himself as the core of the AI but out of all people, why Arma? What was going on in this virtual world?

Plus how will Zessica respond when she realised her former partner abused her? Will she react just like what Oliver had said? Would she go to the brink of breakdown and eventually take her own life? What about Euphino? Does he know that Arma was with him in the same orphanage? Was he trying to hide that fact like Phoenix and Zatch because he didn’t know how to break it to him too? Suddenly, it seemed like everyone in the virtual world was keeping secrets from the tall lad, making him more miserable than he should have felt in the morning.

“-rma...Armageddon.”

“H-Huh?” Arma blinked as he sat up from his silent daze and sneaked a glance at her. He forced up what seemed like a convincing smile but from Zessica’s reaction, he knew that she wasn’t going to be fooled.

“Is there, something wrong?” The short girl asked, standing up and going over the sink to wash the empty cereal bowl. Arma remained silent, debating on his answer before shaking his head. What happened next wasn’t something he expected for the girl to respond.

“You are lying. I know that look. Something is bothering you.” Arma avoided her gaze who was standing behind him. He stared at the cereal bowl guiltily. There were so many things he wanted to tell her like her past, her former partner, his lost memories and Euphino as well. Oliver too, let’s not forget the Pikachu hoodie wearing guy as well.

However, deep inside of Arma’s heart he knew that he couldn’t tell her when not only one, but two people had warned him about Zessica’s mental defences. Both Euphino and Oliver heavily implied that she was a girl with her guards up, concealing the fact that she was none other than any normal fragile girl there is.

“There is nothing bothering me...” Arma spoke almost bitterly. Silence was his reply. Before he could explain, or at least try to, he felt something terribly cold running down on his back, causing him to yelp and stand right up. He hopped from one foot to another, jumping around in circle to find Zessica had an empty ice tray in her hand.

“What the hell Zessica? Why did you pour ice down my back?!” Arma almost yelled; pulling the back of his collar up so most of the ice cubes ran down to the floor, dampening the tiles. Zessica didn’t answer and only responded with a shrug. She smacked the empty ice tray at Arma, a little too harshly before marching off. It didn’t take a genius to figure out that Zessica was actually ticked off at him.

“When you decide to trust me again, give me a call.” Zessica muttered loud enough for him to hear as she took a paperboy hat and wore it on. Arma stared at her, vaguely imagining her as a boy in the twentieth century riding on a bike and throwing newspapers in those golden ages. He was still envisioning her as a child when he heard the door slam, leaving him alone in the house that seemed too empty and too vast again.

“What just happened?” Arma asked out loud, not expecting an answer whatsoever. He finished off his breakfast and dumped it in the sink, letting his thoughts over take him again. After cleaning the bowl up, he found himself with the thought of what to do for the day. It occurred to him that he had so many free times in his hand. He had finished all of his home works last night and had already tried out all the games in his entertainment room. Not in the mood to let the day just pass by, Arma decided to find a new game to play, it was time after all.

Locking the door behind him, he set off to town. He still wondered why Zessica poured the ice cubes down on his backs and why she was clearly angry at him. Was it that obvious? Was she thinking that he was hiding things from her? Well, to be honest, he is hiding a lot of things from her but just because they are partners doesn’t mean they have to share everything between them, right? Even Zessica herself didn’t tell them why she was holding his Major back so she wasn’t giving her full one hundred per cent too.

Even as he thought this while strolling down town, Arma couldn’t help but feel a bit regretful and guilty at the same time. His mind was so clouded over, he didn’t realise which street he was taking and which route he turned to. So many thoughts filled his mind and unfortunately for the lad, he didn’t watch where he was going. As he continued to walk in a dazed state, he walked straight into a lamp post, leaving a dent in it as Arma winced lightly.

“Ow, ow, ow...Ugh...no wonder Zessica calls me a ‘Mother Hen’. I think too much!” Arma spoke out exasperatedly. Only then did he check around his surroundings. The best way to express where he was at the moment is that he was in the middle of a huge town and at the same time, in the middle of nowhere. He couldn’t recognise the buildings and playgrounds nearby at all. It all looked foreign to him, as if he stepped into unauthorised territory. Honestly, where in the world was he???

“....coming....repeat....through....out!” Out of the blue, Arma heard a very much muffled voice. For some reason, it sounded familiar, causing the tall lad to glance back to find the owner of the voice. Once again, he was struck with the thought that maybe today was not going to be a normal day after all.

The reason why he thought the voice was familiar was because he knew that voice too well. Several meters from him, Arma caught Caterpillar running uproariously towards the tall lad. At first, Arma let the image of Caterpillar actually looking as if he was going to be run down by a mob for a second before realising that there was actually a mob right at his heels. The preposterous thing about the mob was, instead of people, they were cats. Several thousands of feline chasing after the poor panic stricken Caterpillar.

“...You got to be kidding me...” Arma muttered, dread settling on him. He felt his knees shake tremendously out of fear for being run over by mere felines and his skin paling at the very thought. Caterpillar must have recognised him from afar when he started waving his arm wildly as he cried out, his voice more loudly than earlier.

“RUN YOU FOOL!!! RUN!!!” Arma didn’t have to be told twice for he turned on his heels and started running as well. If it weren’t for Caterpillar who was hogging behind, Arma would have used his Minor and flew right out of there. This was an emergency after all. However, the tall lad slowed down a bit where Caterpillar easily caught up to him and only then did he started running along, since he got a question for him.

“Why do you have a cat mob after you? What did you do? Steal their fish or something?” Arma cried in disbelief. He saw the other lad shook his head, his face flushed from running too much and then answered back with a hoarse voice.

“N-no...I saw...this cat...I thought it was...cute...and I petted it...then more cats came...and I started petting them too...then more of them came and....it became a mob...” After a brief moment of running and letting it processed in his mind, Arma surprised himself by bursting out in neurotic laughter. It finally dawned on him that ever since he had the first conversation with Zessica on that day, his normal ordinary life hasn’t been the same since. Everything became so illogical! First becoming partners to an almost stranger, then getting his conscious summoned by the core of the AI in his dreams only to tell him that his memories were cleaned too and now, there was a mob of cats right at his heels.

“What are you laughing at?! DO SOMETHING!” Caterpillar ordered, having no spare time for politeness. Arma snapped out of his hysterical state and eventually pulled himself together again. Shaking his head in disbelief and to collect all his rational thoughts together, Arma grabbed the back collar of Caterpillar’s shirt, surprising the lad and activated his Minor of flight. In the midst of their escapade, the tall lad heard Caterpillar gasp as they soared up and glided across the sky, far away from the mob of cats.

Searching for someplace safe, Arma landed both of them near a deserted park with a spectacular fountain in the middle. The tall lad watched as his greyish blue wings faded away to dust as Caterpillar gazed at him with awe.

“Looks like I owe you once again. Never did I expect to bump into you, especially like that.” Caterpillar mused out loud, panting for air lightly. Arma simply gave him a bitter small smile, his heart growing heavier by the second and having thoughts of wishing it would rain. That way, he could let the cold of the rain to numb the pain he was experiencing and just sit there. It had been a while since he felt this down. The last time he recalled being quite under the weather was during the time everyone started viewing him as a beast.

“Something wrong?” Caterpillar asked suddenly, making the tall lad realised he had been eerily quiet this whole time. He blinked at the other guy who was staring at him with those deep brown eyes and the grey thin ring at the edge of those pupils. Arma wanted to answer that he was fine but when he opened his mouth, his voice didn’t come out. It was stuck in his throat, indicating he was hesitant to lie.

“Could this be related to your partner?” Arma felt his cheeks grow warm as Caterpillar stated this nonchalantly. He wanted to deny this at the next second but once again, his voice was wedged in his throat, betraying him at the time he needed it the most. Caterpillar, looking sort of wise with a somewhat melancholic smile simply nodded to no one particular.

“I know this place. There is a basketball court nearby. Wanna talk about it while playing a one on one? The type of court setting is up to your choice.” Caterpillar motioned his head to their left. Arma hesitated a little as he debated on his answer. In the virtual world, there were two settings with the court. One was the normal setting where it’s the same type of play style back in Earth, while the other setting was a tad bit different.

In this other setting, there won’t be just one hoop. There will be several thousands of hoops in a vertical line. Each hoop has a point and these points are greater as the higher the hoop is. So no matter what kind of shot it was, whether it was a dunk or a three pointer, it all depends on which hoop it falls into.

However, the sport had been a slight out of bounds for Arma to even think about. Reason being that with his height to his advantage he was able to easily overpower his opponents and win the game in both the normal setting and the new type of game play. This had depressed his players so much; they had accused him for being unfair. Arma frowned as he vaguely remembered one time when he entered the court; most of the kids simply turned him down and walked away. It was a very blurred memory, something that had happened...how many years ago?

“You do know how to play basketball right? Or should I teach it to you?” Caterpillar asked queerly, cocking his head to one side. Arma shook his head in response.

“N-no I do know how to play it’s just...it’s been a...long time...since I last played it...” Arma explained feebly, scratching the back of his shaggy hair awkwardly. Instead of looking disappointed, to Arma’s amazement, Caterpillar beamed brightly at him.

“Well I am sure we can fix that by playing for a while. Let’s go!” Arma gawked with an astonished expression as Caterpillar led the way. He was even more baffled with himself for following. He could have easily turned down with a lame excuse, but seeing how enthusiastic Caterpillar was being, Arma thought better of it. After all, he needed someone to lend an ear. Zatch and Phoenix were an exception since they wouldn’t react the way he would want them, he knew them too well. Stabs and Zessica was out in a movie so they were crossed off the list too. He might as well tell it to Caterpillar and see how he will react. Chances are he would probably think Arma was joking or making up a story.

***

“...Uh...Zessica?...Are you sure you are alright?...” Stabs asked awkwardly as the opening advertisements started playing in the huge cinema. Zessica as staring impassively at the large screen and if she wasn’t clutching the popcorn bag so tightly to the point it looked like she was strangling it, she would look merely bored. Stabs sat next to her, watching her expressionless face and tried to guess what she was thinking. Though he was no way near to reading minds like Zessica and Zatch often does, he had a slight hunch what was going on.

“Did you have a fight with Arma?”

BOOM!

Stabs almost screamed like a high pitched girl when the popcorn the girl had in her hands exploded out of the blue, causing the people who were near them to flinch back in horror as well. Zessica on the other hand, after the explosion, gaped at her now empty hands with a blank look in her face, wiping off the crumbs and left over popcorns from her lap. The lanky guy beside her trembled furiously and brushed off the popcorn from his laps too, trying to will his heart to breathe in a normal rhythm again. He had no idea how Zessica made the popcorn explode but he knew he had accidently struck on a nail.

“So it is him after all. What happened? You can tell me. I won’t tell anyone.” Stabs gently reassured, observing the girl closely. Zessica glanced up at him and held her gaze for a few seconds. She then averted her gaze and looked down, pulling her paperboy hat down so it concealed her eyes. When Stabs first saw her outside the cinema, he had almost mistaken her as a boy but upon closer inspection, he had realised this sort of style actually suited her.

Back to the topic, Stabs saw her pulling her hat even lower. Since the advertisements were still playing out, it wasn’t dark enough for Stabs to miss the slight shade of pink on her cheeks from embarrassment, surprising the lanky guy more. Zessica never made any expression before anyone before so to see her blushing was news to Stabs.

“I think Arma dislikes me...” Stabs felt as if he was struck by a bolt out of the blue. He stared at her bewilderedly as the girl continued.

“I know it’s a little paranoid for me to think that way but when I was having a cold, I started to think back the days I been living with him. I know I keep him fooled by my pranks but I can’t help it, it’s in my nature. Plus, I-I am also acting like a huge burden to him when all he did was help me while I repaid back with me being a trouble maker. Even in the first trial I slowed him down by getting sick. Also today, Arma looked as if his mind was in a deep cloud and he wouldn’t even tell me why. It’s because I am a burden to him aren’t I? Am I really worth it to be his partner?”

Stabs remained silent for a while as he let those words sink in. Never had he expected this girl to say such a thing to him. In fact, it wouldn’t be in the list to what to expect in the near future! Reality and karma hit him like a stab to the heart as he realised that this girl had her own harbour of doubts. In addition to that, the news of her former partner beating this girl up from Euphino made Stabs a bit uncomfortable which was one of the reasons he decided to make her come to the movies with him. He didn’t want her to focus on the bad memories even though she didn’t remember them. He wanted to create all good memories for her as a chance for her to start all over again.

“I don’t think he hates you. I know I don’t and neither does Zatch and Phoenix. Why don’t you ask him if you aren’t so sure?”

“But out of all people I observed from afar, he is by far the most complicated guy I ever known.” Zessica replied, causing Stabs to raise both eyebrows in interest. Once again she was saying things that Stabs never expected her to say.

“Complicated?”

“Yes. You might not think that way with me able to ‘read him out’, but honestly, everything he does is beyond my expectation. I can’t even guess the probabilities accurately when it comes to him. He is just so different and does things in the spur of a moment. Even though he is not a monster like he claims himself he is, he is abnormal and merely unique. I don’t understand him at all...” Stabs found himself smiling warmly at the girl who was still trying to suppress her blush with her hat. The lanky guy patted her gently, causing her to glance up at him, evidently showing the blush in her cheeks and her eyes almost welling up in tears.

“I know, Arma is a complicated guy with a messed up life. Even Zatch has a difficult time trying to get him back in shape and Phoenix could only distract him from his negativity. However, only you can make him open up to people and think more positively. You may not know it, but you are his saving grace. That’s why, he needs you to clear up all the doubts he has in his mind and push him forward. He might try to push you away but whatever you do, don’t give up on him okay?”

This seemed to have calmed her down when her eyes didn’t look as if tears were going to pour out as she stared at Stabs as if he was her hero. After a short moment of silence between them, Zessica nodded lightly. A few seconds later, the whole room dimmed to darkness as the movie started to play. That’s when a small idea popped into Stab’s mind.

“Hey, just a little suggestion to make Arma like you better.” Zessica turned her attention from the screen to Stab’s face, indicating that she was listening. Stabs grinned as he gave a silent ‘you are welcome’ to wherever Arma was at the moment, which was running away from the mob of cats.

“He would really like it if you be open to him as well. You know, like smile at him. I know you have your reasons to keep your emotions sealed but is there a reason to keep it hidden from him? I mean, okay hiding your emotions away is like a cool strategy to show no weakness but, he is your partner. Partners are supposed to show each other’s weaknesses. I wouldn’t call emotions a weakness though and you know he won’t hurt you but, try to at least? Smile?”

Zessica glanced down, thinking deeply for her answer before holding her gaze at Stabs again. Stabs grinned when he heard that single word he hoped her to say.

“Okay.”

***

“Haven’t played in a long time my foot! You are a wiz at this! You never told me that you were this good!” Caterpillar bellowed out loud in a good natured tone. It had been over an hour since they been playing basketball. During the one on one, Arma revealed everything to Caterpillar and by everything, he really meant everything. From Oliver to his lost memories to the fact that Zessica’s former partner was Ophelia. Of course he had his doubts on trusting Caterpillar but what was the worst thing that could happen?

“Well, you never really asked...” Arma coughed lightly, wiping the sweat from his jaw with his collar. Caterpillar was hunched down low, coughing furiously which was enough to cause Arma’s blood to curdle. No seriously, Caterpillar was having a coughing fit and was wheezing severely.

“Are you alri-

“I am fine, just a little history of asthma that’s all.” Caterpillar interrupted roughly with his hoarse voice. After a few minutes of basic breathing, Arma sighed in relief when Caterpillar stood upright again, his arms stretched out as he spoke ‘ta da!’ with a huge grin on his face.

 “So there is this mysterious guy called Oliver who has been giving you advices and had revealed that Phantom Dancer had taken away your memories along with others who were present in the Taboo and the Rising Star Prodigy is your partner’s old partner?” Caterpillar asked nonchalantly. Arma stiffened a bit before nodding dazedly. He couldn’t believe that Caterpillar had actually believed all of the mumbo jumbo he was talking about. Was he really accepting what he was hearing?

“Have it ever occurred to you that I might be lying?” Arma asked curiously, making Caterpillar to hang his head back and chuckle loudly.

“Well it did cross my mind a couple of times but then I find no reason for you to lie to me since you were the one who decided for us to be friends. If you were lying to me then you are a no good bastard and I will let Sophie kick your sorry bottom out of Wind Crest.” Arma shuddered before reassuring Caterpillar that he was telling the truth.

“Honestly I don’t see the big deal of it. So Ophelia, the Rising Star was your partner’s old partner and had domestic violence on her...okay that’s bad but...oh I see why you seem so muddled up. If you have all of this in your head you are pretty much confused at what to do now are you?” Caterpillar articulated animatedly. Arma frowned before nodding in response. On cue, he watched Caterpillar placed his chin between his index finger and thumb, soon lost in deep thought. Arma continued to watch him in silence when the light in Caterpillar’s eyes returned.

“I think I know what to do with your problem there. I will ask you a question that summarise this whole dilemma you are in right now and you can find the answer easily. It’s a question that Sophie once asked me when I was in your shoes, without the Pikachu wearing hoodie guy and all of that ...stuff... Ready?” Arma was a bit hesitant with where this was going but he leisurely beckoned him to proceed.

“Which is more important? The past, or, the present?” The full force of the question not only struck Arma straight to the core; he felt something lifting off from his shoulders as well. He let the question spiral around his mind, trying to find an answer when he realised that he had known the answer all along. The tightening sensation in his chest ceased and he felt as if he was floating on air. Caterpillar smiled lightly in acknowledgement, realising that Arma had found the answer as he ran a hand through his hair.

“Well I got to go. Sophie must be wondering where I am right now and I bet she is worried sick somewhere. She always is, kinda like you hehe. See you later Arma.” Caterpillar waved as he walked backwards. For the first time in that day, Arma smiled brightly at the other guy and waved as well, thankful for him for listening to him and not judging him in the process. As Caterpillar disappeared from view, Arma set off again, trying to find a way back. He had a lot to say to Zessica after all.

Author's note: I know I just updated yesterday but this curse of having too much free time wont leave me alone! There is practically nothing but to type all of this to pass the time away. I don't want to make all of this free time to go wasted. Anyway, this is dedicated to one of my friends in wattpad who is awesome. Go check out her books, she writes them so well!

As usual, please notify me any mistakes you find in this. Oh and don't forget to vote!

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

25.2K 442 13
When Chu Qianxun was reborn and returned to the beginning of the apocalypse, she vowed to live a better life, live longer, and stay away from those d...
43.8M 1.3M 37
"You are mine," He murmured across my skin. He inhaled my scent deeply and kissed the mark he gave me. I shuddered as he lightly nipped it. "Danny, y...
226M 6.9M 92
When billionaire bad boy Eros meets shy, nerdy Jade, he doesn't recognize her from his past. Will they be able to look past their secrets and fall in...
246K 4.7K 174
An accident. She's pregnant. How unlucky. She got pregnant in one shot! What was even more unfortunate was that the end of the world had arrived, and...