A smile for Dee (I'm currentl...

By De2ire

It started with a smile. Except Delilah didn't smile, in fact she stopped smiling. This is how this story beg... More

Prologue: A smile for Dee
Chapter one: The Beginning
Chapter two: Reuniting
Chapter three: the first...
Chapter Four: Slurring words
Chapter Five: whispered secrets and hidden letters, part I
Chapter five: Whispered secrets and hidden letters part II
Memoir: 29th June 2010
Chapter Seven: Old Friends
Chapter Eight: Haunted lullaby's and desperate warnings...
Chapter Nine: Unwanted guests and new suspicions
Chapter Ten: Accidental findings...
Memoir: 3rd of June 2008
Authors note

Chapter six: New encounters

257 29 6
By De2ire

Chapter six is finally up! Hope you like it, because I had to write this chapter up while barfing every ten seconds. See what a dedicated writer I am, I wrote this with my fever being my only source of energy.

So yeah enjoy follow wattpadians and make sure you keep smiling. XD de2ire

Previously on chapter five:

That’s why I seal the envelope closed; stare at it blankly for a minute thinking of how long it has before it turns into ashes just like the others. Holding it close for a minute longer I slip in the envelope into the dark world of my box. Once inside it can never come out but once it does it’ll return as ashes. Moving from my seated position I bend onto the ground open the canvas bag, carefully placing the box inside. Turning the key, I lock the box. As long as no one sees inside everyone is safe...for now.

Chapter Six

Delilah’s p.o.v

Dave, the family’s private chauffeur tips his hat once I step outside.

“Good morning Miss Evans, how you make that uniform look good is beyond me.” Dave removed my bag from my shoulder, before obediently opening my door for me. It seems like nobody here thinks I’m capable of doing anything on my own. Nodding my head at him, I slipped into the back of the car. Unlike all the other doctors, Ms Finch didn’t treat me like some experiment instead she lets me talk when I want to, stay silently if that’s what I want. Every second Tuesday, I find myself in her office for two hours before going back to school. I haven’t known her for long but for some odd reason I trust her, maybe it’s because she doesn’t ask questions and accepts the new me.

The houses front door shut closed, the sound of heels clicking across the pavement came through. Staring outside the tinted windows I allow my fingers to toy around the silver metal hidden underneath my school blouse. Dressed in a silk peach top and a cream coloured skirt, mum seems younger looking than ever. Her tamed curls fall gracefully past her shoulders; unlike mum my hair became wavier rather than curly as I grew. With her face only applied with minimum makeup, mum accessorised with a pearl necklace.  Greeting Dave she spoke firmly with him before nodding her head, opening her palm Dave placed the key to her beloved Mercedes into her hand. Entering the driver’s side of the car mum adjusted the rear view mirror; her eyes fell on me before turning to look at me.

“Delilah! I didn’t know you were here. How are you sweetie?” her left fingers caught my attention, her wedding ring is missing. Noticing my eyes inspecting her finger she turned back to the steering wheel.

“I’m good.” I muttered.

“That’s good.” She turned the car on but didn’t make a move to drive yet.

“Ms Finch is a good person.” she didn’t say this to me, almost like she’s confirming it to herself.

“Sorry I’m late.” Bianca huffed wildly, taking a seat beside me in the back. What is she doing here?

“Hey Dee!” she chirped, a little too happily for my liking. I did all I could to hurt her and push her away, yet she treats me like nothing has happened.

Smiling at the two of us through her rear-view mirror, mum reversed smoothly out of our estate and into the narrow road. Placing her favourite designer sunnies she resembled a vogue magazine model, smirking every time she noticed someone take notice of her beloved Mercedes.

The short trip was filled with mum and Bianca’s chatting meanwhile I sat quietly in my corner of the car hoping for some alone time.  The Victorian red bricked building came into view; it was the only estate other than my families and the Ryan household which is decent looking. Dr Finch’s private counselling is printed across the glass door. I remember all the times Jayne and I walked passed this place before it turned into a psychiatrist’s clinic, it was an abandoned house. One week after the Jayne thing it had transformed into a counselling office, but I’ve never seen someone go in, except for me at least.

“Mrs. Evans, Delilah how are you today. Ms fin-.” Amanda, Ms Finch’s secretary greeted us brightly, she stopped mid way when her eyes fell on Bianca.

“I see we have someone else… here… today?” Amanda’s eyes inspected Bianca’s figure through her spectacles. Shrugging her shoulders nonchalantly, Bianca took a seat in the waiting area.

“Umm, Amanda, this here is Bianca. She’s staying the summer with us and she’s also Delilah’s best friend.” Mum spoke. Mum referred to Bianca as my best friend, she’s my former friend, its former why can’t people see that? Besides who’d want to be, ‘best friends’ with the likes of me. After all I’m a criminal…

“Soo...Bianca, tell me a bit about yourself” sliding her glasses on, Ms. Finch took her seat beside Bianca. Tucking a strand of her golden hair behind her hair, Bianca cleared her throat.

“Well, Mrs. Finch, you al-“

“Ms, I’m Ms Finch. There’s no Mrs.” Interrupting Bianca, Ms Finch’s face scrunched into an unpleasant scowl. She really hates being called Mrs, but the past ten months I’ve been doing therapy here not once have I seen her, the slightest bit angry. In fact she always seemed pleased by herself.

Bianca spoke briefly about herself, engaging in a friendly conversation with Ms. Finch. Her mahogany coloured hair framing her square face. For the first time I noticed her hair slightly darker almost fading into a black colour. Black?

Shaking my head slightly I returned to concentrating on Ms Finch and Bianca’s conversation. The two laughed at a stunt I pulled years ago while Bianca retold the tale. Watching the gleam in Bianca’s eyes tore my heart apart. The two days she’s spent with me, I hadn’t heard the laugh that filled my ears as I grew up. It seems that I rub off onto everyone around me, they either don’t smile or their smiles are filled with pity. Everyone’s laughter seems to cease the second I enter the room. I have this negative effect on them and it kills me, but I can’t change besides it’s for the best…that way no one will get hurt.

Bianca’s p.o.v

Holding the door open Grace, A.K.A Ms Finch handed me a form. I giggled slightly at her last joke, Renée joining in slightly afterwards. Delilah however just stood there alone in the waiting area, eyes glued to the ground. A pang of guilt hit me, this was her therapy lesson and I had wasted it for her laughing with Ms Finch.

“Bianca sweetie, just fill this form out and bring it in the next time I see you, okay. Umm, the form will help me get a better understanding of Delilah and what seems to be her problem. Okay?” Ms. Finch bid us all good bye as her assistant/secretary led us the way out of her office. Waving us off, Renée, Delilah and I buckled into the glamorous Mercedes.

The drive to Delilah’s school didn’t take long, but all the pamphlets and pictures Dee used to show me could never have prepared me for the sight before me. The school is beyond hideous!  The brick has an extra layer of mould covering it. The windows are either broken or none at all. Pieces of junk yard worthy scarps are scattered around surrounding the three ancient buildings. The ancient buildings, which Dee and Samuel call school and which I now call ‘Filthy’. How do these people live, haven’t they heard of renovating, this place is absolutely…what’s the word, Ah yes crummy. This schools a disaster zone and there’s no way in hell-

Renee’s chuckling snaps me back to reality. A smirk forms slightly on her face, as the car comes to a brief halt.

“Not liking what we see, are we Bianca?” she asked her laugh slipping out fully.

“Not really, this place is a disaster zone. No offence Dee, but it really is…” nodding her head May opened her door ready to go out. She stood there shoulders slumped, satchel balanced on one shoulder fingers tracing her collar bone. Whatever happens in that school has done something to scar Dee. With her back to her mother and me, a small breeze pushes against her body. For a brief second her body looses balance, all because of a slight breeze. Her petite, fragile figure standing before the enormous doors signifies her innocence. Her fragility.  An overwhelming need to be with Delilah takes over me. The need to protect her, even if it’s against her wishes. The need to know she’s okay.

Shutting the door behind me, Renée shot me a baffled expression. Waiting for Delilah to step into the building, I stared pleadingly at Renée.

“Renée, I know Dee might not like this but could I possibly go to school with May. Not school, school. But like, you know kinda like a visitor. That way I can be with her.” Smiling knowingly, she nodded her head.

“You know Bianca; I was actually going to ask you to do that for me. But sure I can arrange that for the school.” She beamed happily, whereas I frowned. What did she mean? Leading me into the dysfunctional office Renée, spoke in a hushed voice with the school principal. The two of them turning to me, every few seconds. The school principal shook her head stubbornly, but all it took was for Renée to frown and whisper something harshly at her for her to agree.

The assistant at the front office gave me a visitor pass for the next three weeks. I’m required to follow all school rules and will be given the same punishment as any student if caught doing something wrong. I might not need to wear the school uniform but I have to wear at least one piece of navy coloured clothing. Delilah tried to not pay attention, but she doesn’t seem pleased with this arrangement.

****** 

“Do they always stare at people, god it’s like they’ve never seen a hot girl who’s not a slut?” nudging at Dee playfully, she ignored me, resuming to her writing. Right, now I’m being ignored. Not that she ever spoke to me properly. Sinking into my seat, I attempt to ignore people’s gazes on me. Connecting to my Facebook account on my phone, the battery died.

“No. No. Noooooo! Fuck this shit!” the phone beeped once, before shutting down on me. Slamming my useless phone onto the table, I received an annoyed glare from Dee.

“Sorry, it’s just that my phone died.” Apologising for swearing, may fished out her barely touched phone and handed it to me.  Students kept filling in to classroom. Their eyes continually falling on me, the girl next to Delilah. Another four students entered, followed by a middle aged man. closing the door behind him, he wrote his name skilfully on the chalkboard. Chalkboards, pfft can this school be anymore ancient? The students took their seats hurriedly, eyeing the teacher in charge.

“Class, your teacher Dr. Harvey is absent today. I understand that this class is a mix of three grades, so yr tens, I’ll go easy on you, whereas the seniors I don’t want any mucking about. Is that clear?” throughout the room eyebrows are raised.

“My name is Mr. Rubik, call out ‘present’ once I call your name.” Ticking of the roll, the door burst open. In came the short school skirt, skanky clothing and heavy makeup. The boys at the back broke out, sending cat calls towards the skank standing at the front of the class. Smirking slightly she whipped her blonde hair over her shoulder, hip dance in tow. An older student entered right behind her. His gray eyes fell on me briefly. Taking the seat closest to the door, his eyes still fixed on me. Biting my lip nervously, I allow my eyes to rake over his handsome figure, his hair and lastly his pale lips.

“How dare the two of you barge into the room like this? Why are you late?” Mr. Rubik’s voice broke me away from my delusional trance.

“You, girl at the back why are you late?” his chubby finger pointed accusingly at the skank. Shrugging her shoulders she returned to filling her nails. Sighing in defeat Mr. Rubik resumed to calling the roll, ignoring the boy completely. The classes chatter raised as the teacher continued going through the roll. Returning to Dee’s phone I logged into my Facebook account, updating my status ‘Just saw a cute guy, Swoon’.  The chatter which once filled the room dimmed down to nothingness. An awkward silence engulfing us all, placing the phone down I looked around the room. Most of the students fidgeted in their seats. The skank at the back stared murderously at May.

“I said Is, Jayne Ryan here?” Mr Rubik’s beady eyes scanned across the room. Skank let out a nervous cough, still no one replied.

“I said is Jayne Ryan-“

“No!” cute boy interrupted him rudely, his face evidently pissed off.

“Okay, who’s next? Ah yes, Delilah May Evans?” raising her hands anxiously, she murmured a low present.

“So the freak is here?” sneering, skank raised an eyebrow challengingly at Delilah. The class immediately broke into a wild chatter, laughing amongst themselves at the stupid comment. Clenching my fist closed, Dee continued writing with a straight face, unmoved by the words. Ready to pounce on ‘skank’ I clench my fists close. The nerve she has to do that, I mean who the hell does she think she is? Slamming his fist on his table, Mr. Rubik turned an ugly yet dangerous shade of purple in anger.  Pointing his stubby, chubby fingers at ‘skank’ accusingly he pulled her out of the classroom muttering how she’ll be paying a visit to the principle. Well skank should have seen it coming, if the teacher hadn’t done anything well I would have caused her some serious damage to her fake face.

With the teacher now gone, the class turned in an uproar. Laughing, talking and casting odd looks towards Dee and me. Smirking slightly at my new found attention, I continue scrolling through Dees never been used phone. Sneaking a few glances across the room, cute boy avoided my gaze his attention fixed on his mates.

“So are you like new?”  Seating himself in front of me a blonde haired boy spoke, a smirk growing on the side of his lips. Raising my eyebrows at him, I pushed my sandy blonde hair past my shoulders. Boy is he trying way too hard here.

“No.” I answered, my blue eyes not once leaving the phone.

“Are you like some exchange student then?” some whiney voiced girl questioned, rolling my eyes in response I shifted awkwardly under everyone’s gaze.

“So what school do you come from then?” slamming the phone on the aging wooden desk, I turned to face my new formed audience. Their eyes filled with curiosity some of them envy and jealousy in others. Sighing I decide to give in to their questions.

“”okay, listen up. I’m not a new student nor am I a transfer student otherwise I’ll be wearing your lame school uniform...which by the looks of it none of you are wearing. Before you ask I’m just a visitor for a while and my real school is Aschem. Any other questions you wanna get off your chests?” looking around the classroom, each student stared at me bewildered, mouths slightly hanging open. Blonde haired boy blinked his eyes rapidly, a weak smile forming.

“Aschem? As in the same place Evans girl went to?” The blonde haired boy inquired. At this I raised my eyebrows, oh the nerve these people have. The sound of a chair scraping across the floor had me turning in the direction of ‘cute boy’. Meeting my eyes for a fraction of a second he exited the room, slamming the door in the process. Shaking my head I turned back to blonde hair dude.

“Evans girl?”

“Yeah, you know the girl sitting next t-“

“I know who the ‘Evans girl’ is, and her name just so happens to be Delilah.” I snapped whilst glaring at him. A bead of sweat trickled down my neck, my exposed thighs sticking to the cheap plastic chair. The overwhelming heat suffocating me, as the remaining students crowded around me.

“Do you not have Air cons in this bloody school?” I asked, opening the closest window I melted at the touch of cold breeze. A girl towards the back turned the ceiling fans on full blast.

“Not yet, we only got fans here. Does Aschem have Air conditioners?” picking at my newly manicured nails, i smirked slightly.

“Oh we have a minimum of three air conditioners in each classroom.” seating myself on top of the teachers desk, each students eyes are glued on me, their eyes full of awe. Oh Aschem has a lot more than just air cons, and these...disadvantaged kids are going to get a little bit of enlightenment on the richer way of life, from me.

******

“You have scouts going to your school, as in like Olympic scout for the junior Olympics?”  The red head stared at me admiringly. I’ll admit we don’t usually get scouts at Aschem but we have before...once but the kid didn’t get in. sure I’m lying and all but it’s not like these kids would ever know. Continuing to lightly stretch the truth about Aschem’s highly condemned features; I smiled as I gathered the attention towards me yet again.

I continued chatting excitedly with a few of Dee’s classmates, but my continuous bragging of aschem didn’t hold their attention for long. The second the door opened again, their gazes left me to see who had now entered the room. Samuels familiar dark hair came into view, his tanned, lean silhouette stood at the entrance of the room. His dark chocolate eyes scanned the room before falling on me. The girls around me seem to be held in a trance, each one staring at him admirably. Samuel, always the crowd stopper but he always had eyes for one girl, Delilah. Pity they never had the chance to date.

“Samuel? I didn’t know you were in this class.” Skipping towards Samuels still body, a couple of the girls upfront sent me odd glances. Brushing past me, he walked off sitting at the nearest spare seat.

“It’s nice to know you’ve already forgotten my name Bianca, I’m not Samuel I’m Zack. I don’t know where you got Samuel from.” His eyes stared deeply into mine; opening my mouth I closed them again. Something about his intense stare told me to speak later and go with the act.

God, I know you probably don’t like me using a string of swear words and if Dee could hear me right now she would probably have my head. But why the fuck did Samuel just tell me his name is Zack?

******

“So you mind telling what that was all about?” I questioned while I jogged to keep up with Samuel long strides.

“I can’t tell you now so don’t ask questions. I just need you to trust me.” Frowning at his response I let out a frustrated groan.

“Is that you’re answer for-“

“Shh, Delilahs coming our way.” Following Sammy’s gaze, Dee’s body made its way towards us. Hands clutched to her text books, but not in fear. Her eyes are kept downcast but it gathers her a lot of attention from the surrounding students. I don’t think she’s realised she walking straight towards us, but she does seem to be in a hurry to get somewhere. With only a metre separating the two of us from Dee, ‘skank’ rolled out of a classroom, tugging and pulling down at her skirt some guy heading out after her. Simply disgusting.

Delilah’s p.o.v

My encounter with Brandon Ryan wasn’t friendly, ever since Bianca’s appearance in class today, his hatred towards me seems to rocket higher than the roof top. I stumbled into him when I was returning a couple of books. The look on his face scared me a bit, ever since that night he’s done nothing but prove his hatred towards me. He may have not said anything to me but he indicated he didn’t want to see me.

The hallways are extremely busy, to many people for my liking and way too many odd looks. The familiar whiney voice came into hearing, stopping me dead in my tracks. Maysee.

“Hey bitch, come here for a second!” her voice screeched. Holding onto my books tighter, her figure came to my sight. Her platinum bottle blonde hair fell past her shoulders, her fake blue lenses piercing straight at me. I like her better before it happened, before that night. Before I killed her life. She may not know the truth but she knows enough to blame me. I’ll tell them, soon enough.

“Because of you I had to pay a trip to the principal’s office, and since you’re the golden student; little miss Aschem.  I now have to serve a week detention. You know what that means?” taking three steps towards me, her body towers over me. Her eyes stare right down at me. Shaking my head I avoided her gaze.

“You don’t, do you? What sort of dumb idiot are you? And they call you the golden student!” her acrylic nails dug deep into my skin, with one push she sends me to the ground. My wrist falling at an odd angle, an overflowing source of pain soars through my body. Lying there in the middle of the hallway, an echoing chant of ‘Fight! Fight! Fight!’  Fills my ears. Kicks are sent to my sides, but not a tear drop falls. The tears have long stopped.

My vision slightly blurs as a familiar set of voices come into perception. The kicks stop, so do the punches and the yelling dims to a dull finish. Warmth engulfs me as someone helps me up. Bianca’s voice rang through the hallways, as she yelled a string of curses at Maysee.

“– you, you, you Whore! I don’t wanna see you near her again, you filthy slut!” Samuel led me in the opposite direction as Bianca continued to screech out censored words at Maysee. She yelled one last time at the growing audience and marched our way. Maysee however stared dumbfounded at Bianca, her eyes watering before marching off with her group of friends. It’s not her fault though, her hate towards me fuels me with the energy I need, it’s just her way of coping. Coping for her loss, the one I took away from her.

Bianca’s p.o.v

She just stood there, she’s not scared, she’s... it’s like nothing happened, like she never felt any of it. Mays eyes stayed glued on ‘skanks’ body, not once meeting either Samuels gaze or mine.

“Dee, you okay?” Samuel held her shoulder; she flinched slightly moving from his touch.

“You shouldn’t have done that.” Her eyes travelled back to ‘skanks’ retreating body.

“Dee, she tried to hurt you and you did nothing!” Attempting to keep my voice calm I failed, my voice rises to a deathly level.

“Thank you, but it’s not her fault... I have to go now.” Avoiding our worry filled gazes she walked of in another direction, leaving Samuel and I flabbergasted by her reaction.  Why would she just walk away from that? She didn’t stop her; she just lied there doing absolutely nothing. The Dee I know would’ve done something said something not nothing. Allowing a profuse amount of obscene curses slip out of my lips, I glared at the remaining of the diminishing crowd.

“Swear one more time and I swear to god I’ll have your head on a silver platter, don’t judge people.” Samuel hissed.

“Fine but she is a disgusting god forsaken-”Samuels glaring eyes had me shut up. Rolling my eyes i secretly muttered the forbidden “S” word. Samuels left palm clenched to a tight fist.

“You know you’re just as bad as her. what with the short shorts and all. Besides Maysee wasn’t always a ‘skank’ you know.” At hearing the new voice Samuel and I both froze in our places. Following the sound of the voice the same red headed boy stared smugly at me, his eyes wandering to places they shouldn’t be lingering in. Ready to pounce the small asshole, Samuel held tightly to my arm.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN I’M JUST AS BAD, HOW DARE YOU INSIST I’M A SLU-” Samuels large hands clamped their way around my mouth, cutting me off completely.

“What do you mean she wasn’t always that bad, and is Maysee the girl who Bianca reckons is a you know what?” Samuels relaxed tone only irritated me more, red head boy just smirked as I continue to struggle breaking away from Samuels grasp.

“Yeah that is Maysee. You know it’s not only Evans girls that changed, so did Maysee. Sure she was popular before, especially with the guys. She just wasn’t...slutty popular, not until what happened to Jayne.” Stopping at her name a small smile played at my lips at hearing her name, I know Jayne! Kneeing Samuel in an inappropriate place I burst in happiness as he grunted in pain. Releasing myself I stood in front of red headed boy.

“I know Jayne! She’s who I haven’t seen yet, oh my god where is she I miss tha-”

“Shh! You don’t say her name like that! What is wrong with you?” He hissed back.

“Why not?” I asked, slightly confused and feeling a little stupid after my little outburst.

“You don’t know what happened to Jayne? Of course you don’t, look at you screaming out her name like it’s the most normal thing to do.” Taking a cautious step back, Samuel looked at me confused.

“What happened to her?” the two of us asked, red headed boy looked between the two of us nervously.

“If you don’t know, it’s best we keep that way.”

And there you have it. tell me what you guys think, you know theres a 'vote' button somewhere on the right, which you should press. just saying. anyways i'm signing out, and good bye!

XD De2ire

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

96 2 10
After her best friend, Marci, killed herself, Olivia Jensen goes back to school and tries to just keep her head down and not be noticed by anybody, l...
15.2K 920 46
"You're even more badass than before," Caleb said, his blue eyes twinkling in amusement. - Bianca moved on, she grew up. She mended her shattered pie...
Traces of Delilah By April W.

Mystery / Thriller

156K 16K 30
[Cover made by @Vanoeuxx] After moving to Connecticut to room with her best friend for the summer, Chastity Blake doesn't know what to think of the c...
1K 919 51
The truth is a strong term. Knowing the truth always is a better option but what happens when you don't get the truth. Sometimes it may be for the b...