No Sanctuary For Old Men [18+...

By ESHurricane

Winner of @The_Dead_Room's Walking Dead Awards in the Best Post-Apocalyptic Story category! When cerulean eye... More

Disclaimer
Cast
I • Waystation
II • Saviors
III • Scarface
IV • Points for Puppies
V • Pretty Satin Things
VI • Cigarettes and Beer
VII • What We're Fighting For
VIII • Tryst
IX • Little Dragons
X • Arat
XI • Underground
XII • Last Day on Earth
XIII • The Interview
XIV • Leiutenants Assemble
XV • Initiation
VXI • Bootfucked
XVII • Nomads
XVIII • Ice
XIX • #Justice
XX • Ex
XXI • Induction
XXII • Mischief
XXIV • Regina
XXV • Red Rocket
XXVI • Please
XXVII • Shiny Red Platter
XXVIII • Fruit
XXIX • Home
XXX • Release Me
XXXI • The Calm Before the Storm
XXXII • Breakfast
XXXIII • Family
XXXIV • End of the World
XXXV • Silence
XXXVI • Buried
XXXVII • Fasten Your Seatbelts
XXXVIII • First Day on Earth
XXXIX • Conference at Negan Industries
XL • Lessons and Obsessions
XLI • Flowers Still Bloom
XLII • Ambiguous
XLIII • Overestimation
XLIV • Queen
XLV • Ezekiel
XLVI • Waltz of the Tigress
XLVII • Stalking Prey
XLVIII • Stallion
XLIX • Knights and Saviors
L • Leverage
LI • Jesus and the Daisy Chain
LII • Fire and Ice
LIII • Realization
LIV • Click and a Shing
LV • Helpless
LVI • Provoke Me
LVII • Darkness
LVIII • Good Shot
LIX • Upside Down
LX • Pieces
LXI • Hopeless
LXII • The Fall
LXIII • Shatter
XLIV • Beautiful Carnage
LXV • Not Quite Yet
LXVI • War
LXVII • Beast
LXVIII • Square
LXIX • Nostalgia
LXX • Nostalgia the II, Esquire
LXXI • Bad
Afterword
Fan Cover by grimygrimes!
Help Me Pick a Cover!! Covers Everywhere!
No Sanctuary en Francais!
A Special Gift for You
Strawberry Cream
Best Fanfiction - Community Hub Awards
The Big 150
Hurricane Discord

XXIII • New World Order

5.4K 252 62
By ESHurricane

Daphne hopped down from the exam table in the infirmary, a vial of ointment in hand. Ariadne removed her nitrile gloves.

"Just keep it as clean as possible," she said, "we've got enough to do without having to deal with self inflicted infections."

"Understandable," Daphne agreed. "How are they doing?" She turned her eyes on the woman in the corner, who was one of the ones they'd rescued the day before. Amber was checking her back, dressed in full scrubs with her long blonde hair woven up into a tight bun.

"Okay, given the circumstances. They are very grateful, if that's what you're asking," Ariadne said wryly.

"That's not what I'm asking." Daphne narrowed her eyes at the short nurse. "I'm worried about their health and mental state. And what they need going forward."

The brunette's eyes softened. "Sorry, it's been a long night." She crossed her arms. "Right now we're just focusing on keeping them comfortable. Three of them are pregnant."

Daphne blinked at her. She hadn't considered that, but it had been bound to happen.

"Only one of the three wants to keep the baby," Ariadne added, answering the unspoken question. "We don't have a safe way to abort the other two, so we're hoping they agree to stay and carry out the pregnancy. There are many women here that would jump at the chance to have a baby."

Daphne nodded. "I would imagine so. And at this point in the world, we really need a next generation." She smiled at Amber who glanced her way, and then quickly averted her gaze.

"Some of them are wanting to go home, but I'm not sure of the logistics of that," Ariadne continued. "Or if they even have a home to go back to."

"I'll get Colin to drop off some of his intake forms, if you can get them to fill them out," Daphne offered. "Then for the ones that want to go home, we can scout out where they're from and see if it's safe. I'd rather that then just shoving them out the door with nothing."

"Okay." The nurse nodded. "Thank you." She paused, and then spoke softly. "And thank you for Amber. We've missed her. I'm glad she got back here before doing something that endangered herself and Mark."

Daphne blinked at her. "I didn't do anything."

"You did enough," Ariadne replied. "Now go on, I have to prep for another patient."

"I'm glad the doc has you guys," Daphne said with a smile, and then left the infirmary. She headed to breakfast, feeling surprisingly good considering the amount of alcohol she'd imbibed the night before.

She'd crashed on Arat's couch, pretty much passing out as soon as her head hit the pillow. When she'd groaned and rolled over in the morning, Arat was already gone but had left her a bottle of water and a few pills on the coffee table.

Whatever the pills had been, they had taken the fuzzy-headedness away and after her trip to see Ariadne about her brand, Daphne's stomach was growling.

When she entered the mess hall, Paula waved her over. The whole crew was there, the kids piled on top of Primo, who had oatmeal in his hair. Talia was nursing the baby, and Molly motioned to a plate beside her.

"Thanks," Daphne said as she sat next to the older woman. "You guys didn't have to get my breakfast."

"Wasn't sure if you'd be able to see straight after all those shenanigans last night." Molly grinned.

"Oh no worries, I'm bright eyed and bushy tailed," Daphne said before diving into her food.

"Good, we've got a long drive today," Paula put in.

Daphne raised an eyebrow and swallowed her mouthful of eggs. "We?"

"You get to escort us to the outpost, little lady," Donnie answered, faking a pretty convincing Southern accent.

"Does that mean daddy gets to stay?" Belle piped up, running an affectionate hand through her father's gooey hair.

"No, honey, she's escorting them," Talia said gently. "That means she'll make sure daddy gets there safely."

"And Grandma?" Belle asked.

Daphne winked at her. "I don't think your Grandma needs escorting. She's a tough cookie."

"I love cookies," Patrick declared, and the adults shared a laugh.

"You and me both, little man," Donnie agreed. 

Arat strode up a few minutes later, and Daphne offered her a smile. "Thanks for the supplies this morning."

"Glad they helped." Arat nodded. "We got you a room upstairs, you can get settled in when you get back. Fat Joey is moving your shit from the barracks."

Daphne picked up her empty plate and stood. "When do we head out?"

"Negan wants everyone out front in fifteen minutes," came the reply, and the blonde nodded.

"I'll meet you guys out there." She waved, and headed to drop her plate at the washing station. She swung by Colin's office to let him know about the intake forms, and then jogged to the marketplace. She stopped at a table where a woman sat with a ridiculous amount of papers.

"Do I talk to you about my points?" Daphne asked, and the woman looked over her horn rimmed glasses at the blonde.

"Yes ma'am," she replied quickly.

"Oh god, no ma'am's, please ma'am." Daphne laughed. "Just tell me how this works."

"I've got your points recorded in this here book, and I move them to where you want to spend them." She shrugged. "Easy as pie."

"Okay." Daphne leaned on the table. "I don't know how much things cost. Can you give Nicola enough to cover two weeks of thread and notions? And I want to buy a little wooden dog from the carpenters' kid."

"That doesn't really have a price, it's a pay-what-you-want kind of deal."

"Give him enough to buy something fun, I guess," Daphne shrugged. "I don't know what there is around here for kids? Maybe if he needs new tools or something."

The woman smiled. "He'll be excited about that."

"Good, okay, do that then." Daphne stood up. "So I can just go collect?"

"You're good to go, dear." The woman extended her hand. "I'm Anna, by the way."

"Daphne," she replied, and shook. "Thanks for your help."

"Anytime," Anna said, and turned back to her books. Daphne made her way to the woodworking station, where Byron was setting up a few new pieces.

"I'm here for my beagle," she announced, and the boy's eyes lit up.

He reached under the table and produced the tiny wooden animal. "I saved her for you." 

Daphne took it and grinned. "Thanks, Byron." She motioned behind her. "I had Anna set aside points for you, I hope it's enough for you to get something cool."

"Maybe I could get a present for someone." He blushed and nervously glanced in the direction of the bakery. 

Daphne followed his gaze and saw a young black haired girl kneading bread dough. The carpenter's son and the baker's daughter; how adorably cliche.

"I'm going on a run, but when I get back, I'll make you a nice present for her," she promised. "Use your points for something for you." She smiled. "I have to jet, thanks for the puppy."

"You're welcome!" Byron beamed at her, and she waved, turning to head for the front doors.

Negan leaned against the wall by the doors, ever the picture of relaxation. He pretended to check a watch on his wrist as she approached.

"You know, considering you didn't tell me that I was going out this morning, you're lucky I'm not still sleeping." She crossed her arms and pouted. "Are you that eager to get rid of me?"

"Don't fuckin' worry doll, you'll be seeing me soon." Negan smiled slyly. "I'm shipping you over there so you can meet Regina, and get a feel for how an outpost runs. Then she's going over to Gavin's, and I'll be picking you up for a little fuckin' trip of our own."

"Picking me up?" Daphne put a hand to her chest with an innocent gasp. "Are you asking to court me, Mister Negan?"

He snorted. "Are you sure I'd have your daddy's fuckin' blessing?"

"Never in a million years." Daphne cocked her head as she opened the door, laughing. Her father was likely rolling over in his grave at the thought of her even associating with a man like this.

"Play your cards right, strawberry," he drawled, "and you can call me daddy."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

418K 8K 75
" This isn't the beginning. It's the end to all things." When the dead risen to eat the living, Kayla Grimes found herself in the middle of survivin...
473 27 18
When the dead started rising three years ago MacKenzie was stuck on her own for 6 months until she finally her dad and brother. Now she is traveling...
8.7K 281 18
"We're all scared, Dwight. Even if we don't show it. He defiantly is more obviously scared." Allie is a Savior, one of few woman that are one. Negan...
46.3K 2.1K 74
'Why are you staring at me like that?' 'I haven't seen you in a while. I was curious to see if you've changed.' 'So what do you think? Did I get old...