Dil Jaanta Hai | ✔

By chaashnee

■WATTPAD INDIA AWARDS 2019 WINNER■ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀▪︎● ● ●▪︎ For the Delhi Tycoons' kids, life has always been to... More

Wattpad India Awards 2019 Winner
before the words
e p i g r a p h
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
dil janna chahega
twenty-one
twenty-two
twenty-three
twenty-four
twenty-five
twenty-six
twenty-seven
twenty-eight
twenty-nine
thirty
thirty-one
thirty-two
thirty-three
thirty-four
thirty-five
thirty-six
thirty-seven
thirty-eight
thirty-nine
forty
forty-one
forty-two
forty-three
forty-four
forty-five
forty-six
forty-seven
forty-eight
forty-nine
fifty
fifty-one
fifty-two
fifty-three
fifty-four
fifty-five
fifty-six
fifty-seven
fifty-eight
fifty-nine
sixty
sixty one
sixty two
sixty-three
sixty-four
sixty-five
sixty-six
sixty-seven
sixty-eight
sixty-nine
seventy
seventy-one
seventy-two
seventy-three
dil janna chahega
behind the words
Sequel/Extended Epilogue: Dil Dhadakta Hai
Book III/Stand alone: Dil Beparwah

twelve

6.9K 690 203
By chaashnee

||CHAPTER 12||
《¤》

Avantika Deewan was the elegance insignia. Her beauty was not something everyone had an eye to appreciate, but I was born with the lineage. Even at the age of sixty eight, she had not only a hold on her skin, but also on her personality.

She didn't know I was watching her until her kohl-rimmed eyes landed on my reflection in the mirror.

"Kya hua? Ready nahi hona?"

I jiggled my pair of ear rings infront of her, walking across the room. "Ye mere ear hole mein fit nahi ho rahe."

She ushered me inside, and I stood beside her. Applying some petroleum jelly between her thumb and index finger, she rubbed it on my ear cartilage, "Desi tareeke hamesha kaam kartein hain."

And indeed, the ear rings did slide in effortlessly.

She turned to her vanity table, picking out a lipstick, and caught me biting my smile from the mirror.

"Hasna hai to besharmon ke tarah haso, ye chhupkar hasna kya dikhata hai?"

"I'm not laughing!"

She raised her eyebrow at me.

"Fine!" I succumbed, "Aapko itna sajte sawarte kabhi dekha nahi hai."

She smiled at me, narrowing her eyes, "Daadiya make-up shake-up nahi kar sakti kya?"

I laughed and stood beside her, imitating her with a different shade. She watched me, her eyes twinkling.

"Vika?"

"Haan Daadi?"

"Tu jo bhi kare, bina sochey nahi, magar bina dare zaroor karna. If you're not afraid about your choices, dare not be afraid of their execution and consequences."

Nude lips and dark eyes stared back at me. I didn't know where all of that came from, but I had a feeling I would be needing that advice.

Turning back to Daadi, I nodded at her. She pushed a strand of my hair behind my ear and smiled.

She was indeed the elegance insignia on earth.

This place made me feel a bit out of place. I couldn't point out what made me feel that way, but the feeling was strong.

The invites-only ceremony that had been held at the Deewan Art Gallery for its inauguration was going in quite well, in the diplomatic sense.

Its not like every living being here actually understood what each piece of art meant. Words were appreciation, but true appreciation rarely required words.

"Honestly though," Jolly bua said, "this looks like a silver hydra in water."

I was no M.F. Hussain, so I had to agree, "But it must be saying something. Tangled roadways of our thoughts maybe?"

She gave me a wide eyed look. "Sounds deep, but mujhe kuch samajh nahi aya. Well, I'm going to see the other-"

"Arvika."

Maybe that's why I was feeling out of place.

Jolly bua and I, both turned around to greet Mr. Oberoi and soon to be Mrs. Oberoi.

It took Jolly Bua two seconds to get into her guarded social look, "Good evening Mr. Oberoi, Maanyata bhabhi-"

"Tum mujhe ab sirf Maanyata bula sakti ho, you know," mother smiled, awkwardly.

And Jolly Bua awkwardly laughed it off.

After recovering from the initial shock of seeing my mother with Mr. Oberoi, I cleared my throat, "I hope you're enjoying the exhibition, Mr. Oberoi?"

"Absolutely," he replied, smiling. "I've actually made up my mind to come visit this place often."

Mother nodded understandingly, "Raman is actually quite a great artist himself!"

"Well, that's nice to hear!" Jolly Bua commented. "Why don't you submit one of your works here? We'd be pleased to embellish our walls with your work."

Raman Oberoi couldn't have understood the bitter truth beneath her words.

"Oh, surely!" He said, turning towards me, "Arvika, why don't you come visit us in Mumbai and pick your favourite then? I'd be very happy to show them to you!"

Oh you would.

I was sick of smiling, so I shared Jolly Bua's favourite grateful face, "One of these days, surely."

They excused themselves, and Jolly Bua went to greet the other guests, but mother lingered back. 

"Kya tum sach mein excited ho?"

"Bilkul nahi."

Her face fell, but I didn't want to lie.

"Aap gharpe Daadi aur hamse milne aogi?"

Instead of replying, she came forward and hugged me. I didn't reciprocate. I couldn't reciprocate.

"I'm sorry, I'm flying back tonight."

"But you just arrived today."

She didn't reply, and didn't have to. When she released me, I smiled at her, not faking it this time. Fate was a funny phenomenon.

Somewhere from the crowd, Raman Oberoi was calling her.

"You should leave. Mai aapke achal ke peechhe nahi chhupne wali."

And so, she left my side, hesitantly, to join her fiance.

From across the room, a pair of dark brown eyes hooked into mine, and never had I ever felt this vulnerable before.

And so, swallowing up my barely emotional side, I swinged towards Vansh Mehra.

"I had a hunch that you're into abstract portrayal of expression."

"You think so? I guess these are just some lucky shots," he shrugged, pointing towards his exhibit, which now had fifteen red dots.

"That's just you trying to sound cool and all."

He looked at me with a knowing smile. "Am I though? Do you know how difficult it is to take a picture? I might as well be trained in gymnastics for the perfect shot."

I frowned, tilting my head. "Are you even interested in photography? Fifteen people wanting that, and yet you're complaining."

"Touche. I do like photography, but I don't like the pain it comes with."

I frowned again. He seemed to be confused too, because his attention swapped to someone behind me. "Your mother's pretty."

And I was taken aback. "I think you're supposed to compliment me right now."

We laughed at the strange joke, which off course, was not meant as a joke at all.

"Well, Arvika Deewan, I have a hunch that you are not into abstract portrayal of expression."

I understood him only when his gaze flickered between me and Maanyata soon to be Oberoi.

"... and so, ladies and gentlemen, please accept my token of thanks and enjoy the night!"

Glasses clinked on my father's acknowledgement. Everyone hid themselves well behind their smiles. I smiled back at people who smiled at me, but stayed in the corner.

"She's going back tonight," Arnav said, running a hand through his hair. "I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing."

"Why to even think about it?" I turned to look at him. "It's not like it's suprising."

"And it isn't pleasant either!" He scoffed. "I hate that Oberoi and I hate the fact that she's marrying him."

"Then what the hell would you want her to do? Re-enter the Deewan household?"

"Well, that'd be freaking awesome if you ask me!"

"Zindagi utni bhi haseen nahi hai, it can stay picture-perfect only for so long," I told him, looking him in his eyes.

He contemplated for a moment, before looking at the painting behind me. "I still don't get why she is doing this."

"It's her life. She's got her own command on it," I turned to gaze at my father talking to the guests.

"Unlike us, who can't even touch the steering wheel," he scoffed again, before giving me a long look and finally leaving me alone.

And at that exact moment, father's eyes landed on me, and he ushered me to his position.

It was the fur lady I met at the Welcome Back Party.

"Good evening, Mr. and Mrs. Nair," I entered their bubble, following my father's direction.

"Good evening, Arvika beta," the fur lady greeted back, in her shrilly voice. "Kaisi ho beta, padhai kaisi chal rahi?"

I couldn't tell her that I had flunked my Physics test, could I? "Jaisi aapki fur business chal rahi hai."

Now that I realised that I had no idea how their business was going, I was content that my reply could hit her both ways.

But Mr. and Mrs. Nair did not give an awkward laugh that I was expecting. If anything, they were gleaming. "Binoy, aapki beti bohot smart hai. It's good to see you again Arvika beta."

Dad sipped his drink, so I couldn't tell if he appreciated me being called smart. Instead, I tried hiding my awkward laugh, by smiling.

They hastily excused themselves after that, and it was Raman Oberoi's chance to have a friendly chat with my father.

"How're you doing, Mr. Deewan?" He started, extending his hands for a shake. My mother was by his side, no trace of awkwardness or guilt shading her face.

"Pretty well, as you can see," Dad said with conviction. "I heard you've been interested in some collaborations?"

Raman Oberoi smirked, glancing at his fiance fleetingly, before looking back at his contender, "Oh, I've been interested in stuff other than collaborations too."

I tried to smile at his feeble attempt to joke as hard as my father tried to keep his smile on his face. I did know how overbearing that crazy man was.

But all the while, my eyes remained glued to my mother's face. This side of hers was something I couldn't decode. She didn't spare me any glance, quietly sipping on her wine and laughing occasionally. No outsider would imagine her to be my mother.

"Well," she finally said, looking at my Dad, "I hope the agreement is fruitful either ways, but at which end, I'm really not sure of."

I don't know where I got the confidence, but I replied to her before Dad could, "In that case, you should just try to keep both ends floating. Load on one extreme can drown your whole boat, don't you think?"

Her expression didn't change much, but she was shocked. I let out a smile only when I looked at Mr. Oberoi, whose expression I really couldn't decipher. "I'd be looking forward to seeing your art pieces, Mr. Oberoi."

"What was that all about?"

Dad had excused himself from the party and had asked me to follow him to the office. So seated on the plush leather sofa, there I was, now being interrogated for god knows what.

"What was what all about?" Oh, I knew exactly what he was talking about.

"You know what I am talking about. Maanyata ke saath uss conversation ka matlab kya hua?"

"She knows exactly what I was talking about. She has her priorities, and I wanted to show her what priorities she was having."

"Rule number one of parties you attend with me and for our company's purpose: Never diss out on the guests. Mujhe laga tha you are smart enough to understand that!"

"I didn't diss out on her," I complained. "And guest?! I'm pretty sure that she is the one who gave birth to me, and has lived with me for quite a few significant years."

He stood in front of me, and then knelt down, sighing. "But tonight, she was here not as your mother, but as Oberoi's plus one. And you, you're not just her daughter, you are Arvika Deewan. And it's high time you understand that from now on, she will be more of an Oberoi than your mother. Grow up, Vika."

That hit me hard. Mothers don't just stop being... mothers, do they?

But again, she was not here to visit me. She was here to see the place her soon-to-be husband had invested in.

"What is your deal with the Oberoi's, Dad?"

His lips curled inside his mouth before he got up to sit beside me.

"For a year now, we've been running in losses."

My eyes widened. Were we going to be... poor?

"How bad is it?"

"Not too bad, but bad in the History of Deewans."

"What does it have to do with just the Oberoi's?"

"Raman and I used to be college mates."

"Oh god, please don't tell me this is some cliche college drama. You just told me to grow up!"

"Fine, I'll just skip to part where him being a new money comes in."

"Okay," I replied, rubbing my face with my hands.

"He has somehow gotten a whiff of the internal matters. He wants to overtake our company. It started with the shares he bought, which now, aren't too small."

"I'm not sure I understand, but I think you are saying that whatever sick plan he has in mind might be working."

My Dad gave out a weak smile, "You are smarter than I thought."

_____

Namoshtaii!

This was like, my most anticipated chapter. This one creates a butterfly effect, trust me.

Guys, keep sending your questions for the characters using #diljannachahega, there is no limit for any reader. It can be any stupid foolish question too! I'd actually have fun answering them, and I bet so would the characters. In fact, I think awkward questions would be most welcomed ;)

I have a series of tests coming up in a week, hence I don't think I'd be able to update until next Friday. But please don't lose hope, I'd be back sooner than you think xD

Anyways, what are your most favourite Indian books on Wattpad?

Read, vote, comment and promote!

~chaashnee.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

360K 21.5K 56
"Vivaah Sampan Hua" Siddharth Nigam, a popular bachelor business man, mafia king is tied in a sacred bond called marriage with a hot, cute girl named...
251K 19.1K 69
■FEATURED ON WATTPAD'S OFFICIAL @dangerouslove ■ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀▪︎▪︎▪︎ In spite of having proven her exceptional business acumen, Arvika Deewan knows that t...
1.8M 85.1K 91
*Completed* Thank you for dropping here, Happy reading Prologue 'Fated But Was It In Destiny'. Love is a beautiful feeling, one to cherish, but what...
880K 35K 56
An heir. That is what Arhaan Ahuja and his toxic family ever wanted. Arhaan had been born in a very toxic family and was brought up with old, orthodo...