Mechanics and Mistletoe

By tufano79

Bella, an uptight, cold executive, is on her way home for Christmas. The first Christmas she's been home sinc... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Five
Epilogue

Chapter Four

1K 35 4
By tufano79

Okay, I wanted to give back to my readers. Something light, fluffy and filled with some citrusy good times (and some drama). I posted something in my Facebook group: Tufano79's Twilight Fanfiction Appreciation and I got some great ideas. Clo came up with an idea that really captured my attention and I think I can finish it in five chapters. So, thank you to everyone who helped me brainstorm or offered me ideas. If I get a chance, I'll work on writing those, too, but they would lend themselves to a longer story. I wanted something short and sweet.

Now, none of this is mine. It never will be ... I just like to play in the world that Stephenie Meyer created with Edward and Bella. I want an Edward. Just saying ... Also, thank you to Angel for the information about the debt forgiveness regarding the deceased. She opened my eyes in a conversation we'd had on Friday on FB. You rock, girlie.

We're going to have one more chapter after this, wrapping up the drama with Jasper and having Edward and Bella go back to Chicago. Will she try to convince him to stay or will she move back to her home town?

Chapter Four

BPOV

Edward was fidgeting. He was dressed in a pair of black pants, a button-down and a sweater. I'd woken up early and went to a nearby store to pick up some clothes for him, not cast-offs from my father's closet. Plus, Edward was taller than Charlie and the pants would be floods on him, as well as slightly big in the waist, too. "I'll pay you back, Bella," he said.

"I know," I replied, putting on my earrings and slipping in my shoes. "But, for now, just enjoy this time off."

"I need to go to the police department tomorrow," Edward murmured. "Jasper is being held and I need to decide if I want to press charges."

"You know my thoughts," I scowled.

"I do know that, beautiful," he chuckled, grimacing as his ribs gave a tweak. "But, I also know that Jasper is an expectant father. He may be an asshole, but he deserves to know his child." He walked over to me, taking my hands. His palms were rough from his work, but his gesture was so sweet, gentle. "The police are checking to see if Jasper made that call. I remember him speaking on his cell phone, but I had a concussion. I still have a concussion."

"Do you need your pain pills?" I asked, my heart stammering.

"I'm fine, Bella," he said, pulling me into his arms. I slid my hands around his waist, pressing my ear to his chest. I listened to his steady heartbeat and allowed his masculine, clean scent calm me. "Now, let's head to your parents' place. Dinner is waiting."

I nodded and squeezed his waist gingerly. I looked up at him, smiling up at him. His face was clean-shaven, but his bruises on his face were on display. I traced his jaw and he smiled crookedly, bending his head and brushing his lips against mine. He sighed, holding me closer to his body. I melted into his embrace. He chuckled quietly, pulling back and staring at me. "You have no idea how much I love being able to do that when I want," he said, his green eyes sparkling along with lights in the guest house. He leaned his head forward, pressing his forehead to mine. "I can do that, right?"

"Any time you want, baby," I smiled. My phone rang and I pulled away, seeing the land line of the house dancing across my screen. I answered the phone. "Hello?"

"Are you coming?" Mom asked, her voice excited.

"We're on our way, Mom," I said. "Be there in a bit." I ended the call and squeezed his hand. "Ready?"

"No," he snorted, shooting a dubious glance to the house. "I know your mom likes me, but your dad? He's so much like Jasper ..."

"My dad is an asshole, but ..." I trailed off. "He's an asshole. Hopefully, he'll be on his best behavior since it was my mom's idea to have you over. His days with her are numbered and he refuses to leave her side." Edward squeezed my hand, giving me an understanding smile. He reached for my coat and slid it over my shoulders, while he put on the new leather jacket I'd gotten for him. He offered me his arm, despite being injured, bruised and a bit clumsy, making our way to the house.

Once inside, we smelled cinnamon, ginger and cloves. There was a fire roaring in the fireplace and some old Christmas standards playing over the intercom. My dad was walking down the stairs, helping my mom. She looked better today, with a festive scarf around her bald head and her skin didn't appear so sallow. She glanced up and beamed when she saw us. "You both look so happy," she cooed. "Doesn't Bella look happy, Charlie?"

"She looks beautiful, Rennie," Dad answered.

Mom hugged me. Out of the corner of my eye, Charlie held out a hand to Edward. With a noticeable swallow, Edward shook his hand and nodded nervously. They spoke quietly, but from the short responses, neither man was comfortable with the other. Mom must have noticed their discomfort and she waddled toward Edward. She took his hand, kissing his cheek. "You look very handsome, Edward. I hope you're hungry."

"I am, Mrs. Swan," he said. "It smells really good in here."

"What did I say yesterday, Edward," Mom chided, tugging him into the living room. "Call me Renee."

"Bella, can we talk?" Charlie asked, shifting uneasily on his feet. My dad was never uneasy. "In the kitchen? I'm working on dinner."

"You're cooking?" I snorted.

"Yeah," he said, his mustache twitching. "We gave our staff the holidays off and what we're eating was planned for yesterday, but with ..." He offered me his hand. I looked at Edward, who was being doted on by my mother and being shown baby pictures. Oh, hell. "Edward will be fine. Your mom wants to mother him."

"And you probably want to kick him out," I growled, shooting my dad a glower. He ducked his head, sighing heavily. "Yep, I knew it."

"Bella, no. I ... I would never condone what your brother did," he said, dragging me into the kitchen. He pulled out a cutting board, slicing some vegetables for the salad. "Yes, my opinion of people who made less than me was ... I thought they were not on the same level as me. I worked my ass off to get my millions and build my empire. It afforded me the ability to retire young and pass along the reins to my family, my children. Jasper tried his hand at my job, but he wasn't cut out for it. He was more ..." He narrowed his eyes. "Jasper is not me. As much as he acts like me, he can't make decisions like me or follow through."

"He followed through with that bullshit with Edward," I snapped. "He punched him in the face and ..."

"I know what he did and I know who's working with," Dad said, his voice disappointed.

"You know what happened?" I asked.

"I do and I've spoken with the police about Jasper's actions," Dad sighed. "What does your brother do?"

"We really don't talk, Dad. I know that he makes good money," I answered. "He's able to purchase his house outright and his wife ... yeah, she's a piece of work."

"His wife is the daughter of some bigwig at a bank. Their marriage is not one of love, but of convenience. The baby? It's not Jasper's," Dad explained. "He told me that she had an affair, but they cannot divorce because Jasper works at the bank with his father-in-law. He works in loans."

"Wait, he's a loan shark?" I squeaked.

"For the job at the bank, he's the head of the loans department, but on the outside, he provides loans to some seedy characters. He has an army of enforcers. That's who attacked Edward, at Jasper's command."

"How do you know this, Dad?" I asked. "And why do you care?"

"I know this because the FBI approached me to discuss my son," Dad replied. "Jasper's in a ton of trouble, Bells. They're talking federal time for money laundering, racketeering and extortion. Now, this assault charge? It's icing on the cake, Bella."

"Wow," I said. "How did it get so bad?"

"I don't know," he shrugged. He stopped his chopping, tossing the veggies into the large bowl in front of him. "I know your mom told you about my indiscretion with Elizabeth Masen, Edward's aunt."

"She did," I told him, icily. "Why, Dad? Don't you love Mom?"

"I love your mother very much. It's breaking my heart that I'm losing her," he said, his voice cracking. "I can't lose her and by the grace of God, she forgave me for my poor judgment. There was no excuse for what I did. At the time, I could say that I was lonely. Your mother was here with you guys and I worked in the city. I missed my wife, my family and I wanted to feel."

"Did you love Elizabeth?" I asked.

"It was a different feeling with her," he explained. "She was beautiful, smart, witty and sexy. She made me feel like a man and our affair was passionate. I cared for her, but I didn't love her. It was physical and I thought of her as a friend." He chuckled quietly. "Elizabeth was the one who suggested that I retire early to be with my family. She saw how much I loved you and Jasper; how much I loved your mother. She was just a warm body to share my bed."

"And the fact that she was a cleaning lady?" I pressed.

"I didn't care about that. I should have never cared about that. It's the person, not their money, that makes them who they are," Dad said, scrubbing his face. "Elizabeth was a good person and she lived in a shoebox. Edward is an amazing man and he's been dealt a shit-hand of cards. I want to help him."

"He won't accept help," I said. "An investor? Yes, but not help. Part of it is his pride." Dad's mustache twitched and I recognized his face. It was 'business face'. He was trying to figure out a way to help Edward without having him pay him back. "Dad, it's not worth it. Edward won't accept it. And I don't blame him. His father's suicide and his mother's hospital bills, they have him hemorrhaging money."

"He shouldn't have to pay his mother's hospital bills. It's his mother's debt, not his. Not his father's," Dad said. "I can help him with that and that will be one less stressor in his life."

"But, his dad mortgaged the business in order to have the money for the treatments," I said.

"I'll help, Bella," Dad reiterated. He put down the knife and moved around the island. He pulled me into his arms, squeezing to his chest. I was honestly shocked. My dad was not a demonstrative man. He never hugged or held us. That was Mom's job, but here he was, cradling me close to his body. "I love you, sweetheart. I know I didn't say that often, but I do love you."

"I love you, too, Dad, but it'll take some time for me to forgive you for what you did," I whispered. "With Elizabeth."

"I understand, Bella," he said, releasing me and cupping my cheek. "And I fear that my indiscretion with Elizabeth caused Jasper's hatred toward Edward. She was his aunt."

"Did you help with her treatment? She was sick," I asked.

"I helped her as much as she would allow, but she's a lot like your Edward, proud and stubborn. She worked until she couldn't and when she was unable to work, she just disappeared," Dad sighed. "My card was found on her body and I was called to identify her." He paused. "I called Esme and Carlisle. You and Edward were in fourth grade, I think." Swallowing, he continued. "I paid for her funeral, disguising it as a life insurance payment. It was the least I could do. I had to do it. I gave her the funeral she deserved and a proper burial. It's the same plot where Esme and Carlisle are buried."

I nodded, trying to come to grips with what he'd said. He kissed my temple and went back to cutting the vegetables for the salad. I idly spun a snowman candle on the island. "Go to him. I've got this. Spend time with your mom and your boyfriend."

"You're okay with us being together?" I asked.

"I am, sweetheart. I saw how much you cared for him in high school. Those feelings have obviously grown since then and unbeknownst to me, your separation was caused by Jasper's prejudice and hatred of the Cullen family due to my indiscretion. I'm so sorry, Bells," he whispered.

I nodded jerkily and pushed the snowman candle back, standing up from the kitchen island. I looked at my dad, unsure how to handle him. So, I just turned and walked to the living room, needing my mother and my Edward.

EPOV

After sitting with Renee as she showed me baby pictures of Bella for an hour, the woman in question came into the living room. She sat down and snuggled close to me, her hand finding mine and twining our fingers together. She was quiet, listening to her mother tell me about Bella's penchant for falling on a flat surface prior to puberty. There were so many pictures of her in casts, sporting bruises and scrapes and she laughed through all of it. As the pictures changed from adorable photos of her as a child, I saw her as a gangly pre-pubescent girl to a teenaged girl, looking very similar to the woman who was snuggled to my side. The only difference in the teenager to the woman now, was the eyes. My Bella as a teenager was free, fun and lively. Now? She was more reserved, guarded and life has taken its toll on her.

When Renee started showing me pictures from Bella's college years, Charlie called us to the dinner table. It was a large table, filled with more food than I'd seen in months. It a smelled delicious and my stomach snarled angrily. Bella chuckled, tugging me to the chair next to her and pouring us both a glass of wine. I didn't drink it because of the pain medication I was taking for my injuries, but I did dig into the food: prime rib, creamed spinach, cheesy potatoes, green bean casserole and a small ham. Renee kept piling more food onto my plate, harping that I was too thin, which was true. But, food wasn't high on the list of priorities in my world. I ate what I could, but was stuffed. Bella got up after we finished eating and she began clearing the plates. I went to help. "Nonsense, Edward. You're a guest," Renee said, stopping me with a motherly glare. "Why don't you have a nightcap with Charlie in the living room? I'll help Bella."

"Don't push it too hard, Rennie," Charlie said, twisting his wedding band.

"I'm feeling good, Charlie," she retorted. "Today was a good day. I want to spend time with my baby girl and dish about her handsome boyfriend."

"Mom!" Bella gasped.

"What? Edward's a sweetie and those eyes," Renee giggled, following Bella into the kitchen.

"My wife, she's never been one to hold back," Charlie chuckled anxiously. "She's clearly taken with you and my daughter adores you."

"The feeling is mutual, sir," I said.

"Come on, Edward. You can't be comfortable. You've been shifting in that chair for the past half hour," Charlie said, getting up and leading me back to the living room. He stoked the fire, adding some more logs. "Do you want something to drink? Scotch? Bourbon?"

"I'm on some pretty hefty pain killers for my ribs," I answered. "Water or a soda would be great."

"I'm sorry. I'm an idiot," he grumbled. "Proof of your injuries is plain as day on your jaw and ... Coke or Pepsi?"

"Whatever is fine, sir," I shrugged, settling back onto the comfy, overstuffed couch. I tugged at the sweater and frowned, seeing the quality of the fabric. Bella had spent too much money on me, but it's not like I had much of a choice when it came to the situation. My garage was still a crime scene. Emmett went there earlier today and said that it had been dusted and pictures were taken. In addition to the damage to the building, all of the petty cash had been taken from the safe, which had been torn to shreds by whoever attacked me. Charlie walked back, handing me glass filled with soda. "Thank you, Mr. Swan."

"Call me Charlie," he said, sitting down across from me with a glass of scotch. "How are you feeling, son?"

"I'm sore, but I'll be okay," I said, sipping my drink. "They were trying to prove a point, which they obviously didn't do since I'm here."

"I'm glad you are here," he whispered, his voice quiet. I arched a brow. "I see something in my little girl that I haven't seen in a long time. A genuine, happy smile. Yes, she's grieving the impending loss of her mother, but she's happy with you. I know she was lonely in Chicago, working herself to an early grave. She got that ambition and work ethic from me, but she has her mother's heart, all goodness and kindness wrapped up in a feisty brunette shell."

I snickered, groaning as my ribs pressed against my bindings. "Ouch."

"Sorry, Edward," Charlie said. "I'll try to refrain from making you laugh."

"It's been a while since I've actually laughed, Charlie," I shrugged. "I kind of turned off my emotions after my dad died. I didn't have the luxury of falling apart."

"I can imagine, son," Charlie whispered. "Look, I did some digging and you shouldn't have to keep paying your mother's medical bills. Technically, the debt is hers, not yours. And any damage to your garage, I want to help you. Not as an investor, but as a good person. It was my relationship with your aunt that caused all of this bullshit, Edward. My son, he ... he took things too far and he separated Bella from you. He used his prejudices and hurt both you and Bella irrevocably."

"Sir, I can't accept your help," I said. "I appreciate it, but it's not your problem. It's mine."

"Edward, it is my problem. My child did that," Charlie said, his eyes flashing in anger. "He may not be able to atone for his sins. I want to make it right. Not because you are with my daughter, but because it's the right thing to do."

I sat back and let his words reverberate in my mind. I blinked over to him, seeing nothing but sincerity in his eyes. "Can I think about it? To be honest, I ... I don't know if I want to keep the garage. Yes, this was a family business and I was proud of the work I accomplished, but I don't know if this is my home. I have too many memories, painful memories here. Perhaps, I'll go to Chicago or somewhere else?"

"What about Bella?" Charlie pressed.

"No matter what, I want Bella in my life. We've lost almost twelve years because of Jasper's meddling. I don't want to lose any more time. I just need to think where my future may take me," I shrugged. "But, no matter what, Bella is in that future, if she wants me." I looked at the fireplace. "We need to get to know each other as adults and come to grips with how different our lives are. Is this just a ...?" I trailed off, afraid to voice my fears.

"Edward, I can tell you that Bella cares deeply for you and that hasn't changed since she knew you in high school. She took your perceived snub very seriously, but she didn't know the truth. Hell, we didn't know the truth until recently," Charlie growled. "I believed what Jasper said and I thought it was probably for the best that Bella not get involved so close to high school graduation, but you didn't see her. She was just lost, dejected and angry. She wouldn't talk to Jasper or me, really. She knew my thoughts on people who weren't ... um, of the same station as us ... I didn't regard them in the same way. She clung to her mother until she decided to move out and do some work in my company before starting her college education. We didn't see her much after that until ... well, her graduation from University of Chicago. Then? It was her return now. It's been almost ten years since I last saw my little girl. Yes, I spoke to her on the phone, but it wasn't the same as seeing her. And it was my son who had pushed her away."

"Were Bella and Jasper ever close?" I asked.

"No. Jasper was close to me, but when he graduated college and he failed at maintaining my business, he ..." Charlie frowned. "He pushed away from me, too. He didn't want to be perceived as a failure, but everyone in the company thought he was ineffective as a leader and he was a failure, but he was still my son. I suggested Bella take over the company, but she was adamant to make a name for herself, away from Swan Industries."

"Do you think she'd consider it now?" I questioned.

"I don't know. I don't know if the company would accept her as their leader. Jasper's inability to lead the company is still strong. Bella is more like me, with her drive, ambition and ability to lead a company, but I don't know if she wants it," Charlie shrugged. "Regardless, I'll support my baby girl."

"And Jasper? Will you support him?" I asked, trying to keep my anger at bay, but it bled into my tone.

"Jasper is my son and I'm extraordinarily disappointed in him and his choices. I will love him, but I cannot condone his actions. He made his decisions and he has to face the consequences," Charlie replied coldly. "He got mixed up with some bad people and they morphed his mind, making him a cold, angry man. A lot of it is due to his wife, Alice. She is a master manipulator, as is her father. But, ultimately, it was Jasper's decisions, his choices. He will have to pay for those decisions and to be honest, he's fucked." He sipped his scotch. "I can't tell you more, son, but I can tell you he was responsible for what happened to you yesterday. That's why I want to help you, to make what he did ... to make it right."

We sat in the living room and eventually Bella and Renee came back into the living room, with a tray of cookies, coffee and other sweets. Charlie got up and picking up presents from under the tree, handing them to Renee, Bella and to my surprise, me. Bella received some new gloves, a pair of gold earrings and a card with a donation to her favorite charity, the ASPCA. She loved animals and wanted a dog, but her condo in the city had a strict no-pet policy. I received several pairs of new jeans, sweaters and button-down shirts. Bella got me a new cell phone since mine was destroyed in the attack. It was a high-tech iPhone, added to her corporate account. Charlie gave me an iTunes gift card so I could purchase apps and songs for my new phone.

I was humbled by their generosity. I had nothing to give them in return, but Bella said it wasn't about the gifts about making the memories. With that, she took my cell phone and set up the timer and settled us all together, taking a picture in front of the Christmas tree, with the fire roaring behind us. She sent the picture to her dad and to her own cell phone before handing it back to me. "A family photo," she said quietly, snuggling to my side and I smiled, holding her in my arms.

Shortly after presents were opened, Renee said she was exhausted and she and Charlie went upstairs for the night. Bella and I stayed in the living room, watching the fire slowly burn itself out. "I need to go to Chicago," she said quietly. "Before the end of the week. I need to sign the paperwork, approving my FMLA leave. I also need to close up my condo since I'm planning on staying here for the foreseeable future, until my mom ..." Her voice cracked.

Her face crumpled up and she cried. I held her tightly, giving her as much support as possible. I knew how helpless she felt. It was the same feeling I had when my mom was given her death sentence. "Cancer sucks, beautiful. It takes the life out of the person fighting it. I hate it," I whispered. "I wish I could do something for you."

"You are, baby," she sniffled. "Being here. Holding me. Supporting me."

"Always, Bella. Even when we were apart, I followed your career. You're kind of a big deal," I said, kissing her forehead. She shrugged. "You are, Bella!"

"But, at what cost? I live and breathe my job. I've never opened myself up to a relationship. I'm closed off and ..." she cried. I stopped her rambling with a soft kiss. She melted against me, clutching my sweater and trying to get closer to me. Her mouth was pliant against mine and I tasted her sweet lips, wanting more of her, but not here. I pulled back, panting heavily and holding her closely. "How can you do that? Make all of the ugly go away?"

"It's a gift," I said, caressing her cheek. "But, I understand why you focused on your job and the relationship is all because of what Jasper did. I'm the same way. I focus my attention on the garage and the few relationships didn't pan out because they weren't you. You were my ideal, beautiful. You still are. You are what I fantasized about at night. I only wanted you, to make love to you and be with you. In reality, that didn't happen, so I tried to substitute ... failing miserably. None of the women I dated or whatever, they never measured up to you, Bella."

"We were miserable apart and now that we're together?" she whispered. "I don't want to lose this. But, it's fast."

"I agree," I nodded. "We're in a unique situation, beautiful, but we'll navigate it. For now? We deal with the aftermath of what Jasper did to me and I'll help you deal with what you need to do in Chicago." I stood up, offering her my hand. "Now? I want to make love to my girlfriend."

"But the doctor?" she gasped.

"Okay, let me rephrase. My girlfriend is going to make love to me," I said, kissing her swiftly, tasting her sweet mouth. "I need you, Bella."

"I need you, too," she smiled, threading our fingers together and guiding me back to the guest house.

BPOV

After the night of making love, we slept in late the following day. I would have loved to spend the day in bed, but my cell phone rang. It was Emmett, trying to get a hold of Edward. We got dressed, begrudgingly and went to the police department. Edward met with the detective in charge and told him that he would press charges against my brother. However, it was just the tip of the iceberg. Jasper was in heaps of trouble and was not even at the police department. He was picked up by the FBI and was awaiting his arraignment in Chicago for numerous federal charges, along with his father-in-law. The cops did have a few leads on the bruisers that had attacked him and there were warrants out for their arrest, but his garage was no longer a crime scene. He could go back.

So, we piled into my mom's SUV and drove to his garage. Emmett was already there with a stunning blonde woman. They were standing in the center of the garage, staring blankly at the mess before them. "This is bad," the woman whispered. "Nothing is ..."

"I'm sorry," Edward mumbled. They jumped and turning around. The woman ran over to him, hugging him tightly. He hissed in pain. "Rose, my ribs are broken. Easy, please?"

"Oh, Edward," she frowned. "I'm sorry." She blinked over to me, her warm expression freezing over and she pursed her lips. "Who's this?"

"This is Bella. We knew each other in high school," Edward said, his arm sliding around my waist.

"And wasn't it y our brother who did this?" Rose snapped. She pointed to the door, her eyes swirling with anger. "Get the fuck out. You caused this!"

"Rosalie!" Edward snarled. "Stop it! Bella is not the reason behind this attack. Her brother is an asshole, but she had no idea ... she never did." Rose turned to look at him. "I love you, Rose, like a sister, but I won't have you talk Bella that way. She was special to me in high school and her brother drove us a part because of his prejudices. Our feelings? They haven't dissipated over the years. I care about her, a great deal. I want to give us a chance, despite the situation I'm in." He blinked to the damage to his garage, frowning deeply. "I'm sorry about all of this. I don't know when I'll be able fix all this. Even with Emmett and I working around the clock, it's going to take time and money that I don't have. I can't believe how much damage was done. And I'm so sorry about your car, Bella."

I looked over Emmett's shoulder and saw how destroyed my car was. However, my car could be replaced. The man whose hand I was holding couldn't be replaced. "It's a car, Edward. I'd rather have you than that car any day."

Rose scoffed. Emmett glowered at her. "Can it, Rose. I know you're pissed at what happened and the uncertainty of our jobs right now, but it'll work out. I'll find another job."

"You have it good, rich bitch," Rose sneered. "You can replace a car with a flick of your credit card. We don't have that luxury. And don't even think about trying to buy us off. You may have Edward snowed, but not me." She sighed heavily. "I'm going to look through the want ads since I'm out of a job thanks to your rich bitch."

"God damn it, Rose. It's that kind of attitude that caused this whole fucking situation in the first place," Edward yelled, glaring at her. He was normally soft-spoken, respectful. "Yes, Bella has money, but that does NOT make her a bitch. I appreciate everything you've done for me over the years, but I'm still your fucking boss. I thought you'd be happy for me that I finally ... that I'm with someone that I care for ... possibly, even love. I've been alone for so long. I don't feel alone anymore." He thrust a hand into his hair and stomped away, walking through the destruction of his garage and out the back of building.

Rose stood there, her mouth opening and closing like a cod fish. She looked at Emmett and he was following Edward, worried about his friend. She blinked to me. I just shook my head, leaving her and following Emmett's lead. He was crouched down outside, leaning against the wall of the garage, his hands thrust in his hair. Emmett was crouched with him, speaking quietly to him. I watched their dynamic. Emmett loved Edward, worried about him and wanted him happy.

"I can't believe Rosalie would say that shit," Edward said, his voice low and angry.

"Me, neither, man," Emmett replied. "I like Bella. She's hot and feisty and good for you. She could be your sugar momma."

"Don't make me junk punch you, Emmett," Edward growled.

"I'm kidding, Ed," Emmett said, sitting down on a bucket. "She makes you smile, man. You love her, don't you?"

"I loved her in high school, but now? We need to get to know each other as adults. Our lives have ... things have changed, you know?" he said. "I just don't want people to see the money and ... I don't fucking know. Maybe, I'm not good enough for her."

"That's bullshit," I said, stomping out and crossing my arms over my chest. "Don't let Jasper's words creep back into your mind. My family loves you. My mom has adopted you and my dad has accepted you. I'm not surprised if he offered to get this all repaired."

"I told him that I wanted to think about it," Edward said, standing up stiffly and grimacing. "This is always going to be a point of contention."

"Not if we make it an issue," I said. "Do you want to be with me? I'll walk away if you don't. It would break my heart, but I'd do it."

"I can't imagine my life without you, Bella," he murmured, taking my hands. "I lived too long without you and I hate that ..."

"I'll handle Rosalie," Emmett growled. "I love my fiancée, but she was very wrong about you, Bella. I can see that you love each other, even if you can't recognize it yet. Don't let that go away." He hugged me and kissed my cheek. He hugged his friend, their brotherly love apparent. "Please don't stress about the garage. You're injured and you need to get away. I'll clean this mess up, get quotes on the repairs and we'll go from there."

"I can't pay you," Edward whispered. "With no clients, that means no income."

"We'll cross that bridge later, Ed," Emmett said, squeezing Edward's bicep. "Now, I'm going to talk my girl down and give her a piece of my mind. She'll come around." He looked at me, winking. "I like you, Feisty Bella. You make my best friend smile. And with that, you're golden in my book." He left us in the back of the garage.

"How much did you hear?" Edward asked.

"Enough to know that you loved me in high school," I said, tugging him back inside and into the cramped office. There was a pitiful sound coming from underneath the desk. I found a beautiful gray cat with blue eyes. "Oh, kitty. Have you been here all alone?"

"Probably," Edward frowned. "That's Nicodemus. He's a stray but he stays around since it's warmer in here than out there. Plus, Emmett feeds him tuna." The cat walked out and hopped up onto the desk before plopping onto Edward's lap, purring happily. "He must be hungry."

"Bring him with us," I suggested. He arched a brow, unsure if I meant it. "I'm more of a dog person, but he's cute. He also missed you." He nodded and picked up Nicodemus, cradling him to his chest and whispering to the cat. We packed up Nicodemus, his litter box in the corner of the office and a few of his toys into my mom's car. We made our way back to Edward's apartment, grabbing his few belongings he wanted from there. Mainly, he wanted clothes, a few photos – which our prom photo was in his few cherished photos he kept – and his decrepit laptop. When we were done, we drove back to my parents' home.

We stayed there for a few days, holed up in the guest house. I spent my mornings with my mom, while Charlie disappeared doing whatever things Charlie needed to do. Edward was researching what to do with his garage, but his main issue was lack of funds. He also spoke to the creditors about his mother's medical bills, with Charlie's help, and they released him from the remaining amounts. I think my dad was working with the creditors to get the money back to Edward, with interest. He shouldn't have had to pay them in the first place.

Emmett came over on the weekend, checking on Edward and Nicodemus. I was wary if Rose was coming, but let out a breath when she decided to stay home. I gave Emmett and Edward some time, spending the afternoon with my mom and keeping her mind sharp while playing gin rummy. "Gin!" she sang, putting down her cards.

"Crap," I groaned. "When did you become a card shark?"

"My first round of chemo," she answered. "I was bored out of my mind. A nurse came over and she played gin rummy with me while that poison was forced through my veins. She became my card partner throughout that first bout of cancer. She made me a card cake when I was proclaimed cancer free."

"Do you still play cards when you go in for chemo?" I asked.

"I'm not, sweetheart," Mom said. "It's my time, baby girl. I tried and it was too much. The chemo wasn't make any difference, but making me sick and tired. Without any treatment, I'll have another month or two. I've discussed hospice and it's how I want to go."

"There's no hope?" I asked.

"No, sweetie. I've lived my life. I've forgiven your father. I've seen my son, as despicable as he may be, get married and my daughter is finally happy, with the man she should have been with in the first place," Mom smiled softly, gripping my hand. "It would make me happier if you were married."

"Mom, really?" I said, arching a brow. "We're trying to navigate our lives without the prejudices of money, get to know each other as adults. You know?"

"I know," she snickered. "But, I also know that Edward loves you. I've seen it in his eyes when he looks at you. You're his whole world, Bella."

"And he's mine," I said, blushing furiously. "But, how will this work? Our lives are different!"

"It'll work, baby girl. Anything you put your mind and heart to, you always manage to find a way to make it succeed," she said, kissing my knuckles. "Now, I'm tired. It's time for my afternoon siesta. Go, spend time with your sexy man and his friend."

I nodded, helping her up to her bedroom and tucking her into bed. I checked on Charlie, telling him that Mom was resting. He smiled sadly. I went downstairs and back into the guest house. Edward and Emmett were sitting on the couch, discussing something. "Planning world domination?" I quipped. Nicodemus hopped up onto my lap, purring like a freight train.

"Not really," Emmett snickered. "We got something in the mail at the garage. Or rather, Edward did."

"What is it?" I asked.

"A rather large check," he said, handing me the envelope with a check made out to my Edward. "That's credit company we used to mortgage the garage when Mom got sick. I called them, asking if this check was sent as a mistake and it wasn't."

"Ed, we can use this check to fix the garage, reopen it and build the business," Emmett said. "This is a good thing."

Edward wrinkled his nose and looked at the check. He felt responsible for his friends, not wanting to let them down, but he was certain that staying in our little town outside of Lake Geneva was not home for him. "I'll deposit it into the business account. You can contact the contractor and begin the repairs. I just need more time, Emmett. Bella and I are going to Chicago early next week so she can meet with her boss to sign her FMLA paperwork and close up her condo."

"Okay, man," Emmett said.

"How's Rosalie?" Edward asked.

"She's ... she's embarrassed," Emmett answered. "She feels like a total bitch for calling Bella what she did. She's also pissed off that she's ... the money. I get that. I really do. I'm picking up more shifts at my janitorial job and I've found some seasonal work as a plow truck driver. This is one crazy winter. There's another storm on its way tonight. Overnight runs mean time and a half. And Rose? She's now working at the trade school. She's in the registrar's office. It doesn't negate her actions, but she's truly sorry. To both of you."

"I'll believe it when she says it to my face," Edward said, his voice taking a hard edge. He looked at the check and sighed. Picking up a pen, he endorsed it. "Deposit this, Emmett and do what you need to do. I'll be back soon and by then, I'll have a decision regarding the garage."

"Okay, Edward," Emmett replied, taking the check. "Have a safe trip back to Chicago. Love you, man."

"Love you, too, Emmett," Edward said, hugging his friend. Emmett left and I sat down next to him. I snuggled next to him, taking his hand. "I don't know what to do."

"We have time, baby," I said. "We have time."

"I think us going to Chicago is probably for the best," he said quietly. "Perspective, a moment away."

EPOV

After the weekend and another snow storm, I drove us from Lake Geneva to Chicago. Bella's fingers were threaded with mine as we made our way through the traffic to her office in the Willis Tower. Parking the car, Bella slipped on a lanyard and put a parking pass into the window. She was dressed casually in a pair of jeans, with boots and wool sweater. I was in a pair of jeans and a button-down shirt. She took my hand, swiping her card as we entered the elevator. She held a file folder with her FMLA paperwork filled out, with no return date.

Walking into a sleek office, she smiled at the older woman at the receptionist desk. "Hey, Shelly," Bella said. "Peter is expecting me."

"Yes, sweetie. I'm so sorry about your mom," Shelly frowned, getting up and hugging Bella. "I'm praying for a miracle."

"Thank you, Shelly," Bella said, returning her hug.

"And who's this handsome thing?" Shelly asked.

"Shelly Cope, this is Edward Cullen. We went to high school together and we reconnected when I was caught in the snow storm on Christmas Eve. He's my boyfriend," Bella blushed.

"Nice to meet you," I said, shaking her hand.

"You as well, Edward. Take good care of our girl. She deserves to be spoiled," Shelly quipped.

I smiled tightly and Bella tugged on my hand, leading me through a maze of cubicles. She stopped at one of the corner offices. She unlocked it and gave me a timid grin. "This is my office," she said. It was as sleek as the rest of the office, but held a warmth as well. The walls were painted a soft grey, with accents of purple, silver and black. Her black lacquer desk was clean, but held several photos. One of which was our prom photo. Our teenage selves were smiling without a care in the world. I stared at the picture often when I stayed in my apartment, wondering what if? "Despite what happened, I still kept that picture. You were so handsome in your tuxedo, Edward. I can only imagine what you'd look like in a tuxedo, or even a suit, now."

"I'm not a suit guy," I chuckled, putting the picture back onto the desk.

"I know, but a girl can imagine," Bella giggled. "I just wanted you to see where I work."

"It's very ..." I trailed off. "I don't know what to say. You've seen my garage."

"Oh, Edward, I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable," she said, taking my hand.

"I'm not, beautiful," I said, tugging her to my side and kissing her gently. "I'm proud of what you do and where you do it. You've worked hard to earn this, Bella." I looked around and squeezed her tightly. "Be proud of this. You've got a corner office in the Willis Tower."

"Fuck that shit. It's the Sears Tower," she snorted. "Assholes who renamed this iconic building. It's like taking Wrigley Field and changing it to Joe Schmoe Stadium. Nope, not for me. This place is the Sears Tower."

"Don't hold back, Bella," I laughed, gripping my side and trying to ignore the pain in my ribs. Bella pursed her lips. "I'm fine, beautiful."

She shook her head and picked up a few things from her desk, along with a high-tech tablet. "Come on, handsome. Let's meet Peter. He's the guy who hired me when I graduated from college and took me under his wing." We threaded our fingers together, making our way to a larger office in the opposite corner of Bella's office. Where Bella's office was warm and inviting, this office was a bit colder, but no less sleek. An older man, with graying hair and ice blue eyes, sat at the desk, typing furiously on his laptop. "Peter, you're a workaholic."

"Bells," he sang, looking up and smiling brightly. He stood up and enfolded her into a tight embrace. "How are you doing, Swan? How's your mom?"

"She's ... she's not continuing treatment," she sighed. "But, she's done fighting, Peter. From her eyes and her expression, she's accepted her fate. She wants to spend as much time with her family as possible. I'm staying in the guest house until ..."

"Bella, you take care of you," Peter said. "I know I put a lot of pressure on you, but it's important that you be with your family, especially now." He blinked over to me, smirking. "Who's this?"

"Oh, this is Edward Cullen. We knew each other in high school and we got together after he rescued me from that nasty snow storm," Bella replied, tugging me closer. "Edward, this is my boss and probably my closest friend in the city, Peter Nomad."

"Nice to meet you, Peter," I said, shaking his hand.

"You a model, Edward?" Peter asked.

"Oh, no," I chuckled nervously. "I own a garage in Lake Geneva."

"You could be a model. That jaw? Could cut fucking glass," he winked.

"Hey, hey! Stop flirting with my boyfriend, Peter," Bella said, smacking at his arm.

"What? It's true. You have to admit his jaw is a work of art, Swan," Peter wailed, scowling at Bella. "Sorry, man, if I made you feel uncomfortable. You're gorgeous and if you ever decide to start modeling, call me. We need some handsome, masculine blood in some of our shoots for this ..."

"PETER!" Bella barked, laughing quietly. "You're sounding creepy."

"Okay, fine," Peter grumbled. "Do you have that paperwork for me?"

She handed him the file folder. "I don't know when I'll be back, Peter. With my mom's illness and her impending death ..."

"Sweetie, you be with your family," Peter said, his voice softening. "Spend some time with your family and with your handsome boyfriend." He winked at me, waggling his brows at me.

"Peter, I'm flattered, but I'm very much straight and Bella ... she's important to me," I said.

"If you ever decide to come bat for the other team, Edward," Peter pouted. "Bella has my number. You could be my personal model. I have some sheets ..."

"Peter, so help me, I'm going to smack you stupid," Bella sighed. Peter just chuckled, hugging her tightly. He whispered in her ear and she clung to him.

I saw their relationship. It wasn't one of a boss and employee, but of two friends, or even an older brother caring for his little sister. She sobbed against his should and she nodded. He pulled back, wiping her tears away. He kissed her cheek and turned to me, putting her hand into mine. "Take care of her, Edward. She's strong, but ..." Bella punched in the arm. "But a pain in the ass."

"Bite me, asshole," she said, wiping her face. Peter just rolled his eyes and she snuggled in my arms, tears still falling down her pink cheeks. I shook Peter's hand again and we made our way back through the office. Shelly wanted to say something, but seeing my girl crying in my arms, she smiled sadly. We rode down the elevator and I helped her into the car. "I'm sorry, Edward."

"Don't apologize," I said. "Why are you apologizing?"

"I don't even know," she sniffled, using a Kleenex to dab her eyes. "Can we go to my condo? I live in Trump Tower." I wrinkled my nose, my distaste for the man becoming clear. "I didn't vote for him, I just live in his condo building."

"Okay, okay," I snickered. She guided me through the streets and parked the car in her assigned spot. She grabbed her keys and we rode up the elevator to one of the top floors. "Penthouse ... fancy ..."

"It was foreclosed and I got a good deal," she said, opening the door. "Originally, the condo was worth millions, but the man who lived here couldn't afford it and it was repossessed. It was also in horrible shape with awful décor. So, I worked with an interior designer and yeah, this was the result." It was bright and airy, with light gray walls, walnut floors and comfortable furniture. She wrinkled her nose. "Ugh, something went bad in the fridge." She threw off her coat and pulled out the garbage can. "Feel free to explore, Edward. What's mine is yours."

I shrugged out of my coat and walked around the condo. It was everything Bella, wrapped up in a 2200 square foot condo. However, I also saw evidence of her loneliness. She had a lot of books and very few photos around the place, save for a picture of her family on her nightstand. There was a phone on the nightstand, as well. It was blinking with a new message. I shook my head, knowing that she had had a life prior to coming back home. Bella came back into her bedroom and pressed the button to the answering machine. "Hey, Isabella, it's Jake ..." She punched erase button quickly.

"Boyfriend?" I asked, trying to be casual, but my heart was stammering in my chest at the implications of Jake.

"More like fuck buddy," she blushed. "I was supposed to go his company's New Year's Eve party tonight, but that isn't happening." She sat down, twisting her watch anxiously. "I ... I never had relationships with men, Edward. It was always sex. I didn't want to get attached. I didn't want to be cast aside, like ..."

"Like how I acted in high school," I frowned. "I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault," she said, her eyes shooting up to mine. "I know that now." She patted her bed and I sat down next to her. She took my hand, leaning her cheek against my shoulder. "We have a long way to go ... I want this. I want us."

"Me, too, beautiful," I said. "But, your life is here."

"Is it?" she questioned. "I lived here. I did my job. I worked hard, but I only existed. I think you were in the same boat."

"I think we shouldn't be making any decisions. Not tonight. Not until ... well, you need focus on your mom and being with her. We're here tonight and I'm not giving this up, giving us up without a fight, Bella," I said. "But, can you fall for a guy who works with his hands? I'll come home, covered in grease."

"I don't care," she said. "I like that you work with your hands. They're rough and they remind me that you're all man. You're a hard worker and you know so much." She looked at me, her eyes twinkling and her lips wet. "Make love to me, Edward. Make me yours. I only ever wanted to be yours."

A/N: Okay, so originally, I wanted this to be five chapters, but I'm thinking it will be probably six. The next chapter will be the last real chapter (which will post on Christmas Eve) with the epilogue posting on Christmas Day. I'm warning you, the next chapter will come with a tissue warning.

Leave me some!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

78K 1.9K 16
"And so the Lion falls in love with the lamb" "What a stupid lamb" "What a sick, masochistic lion." (Yes, i know, thats Edward and Bellas quote but...
100K 2.4K 30
Edward Cullen is the heir-apparent to the most infamous crime families in Chicago. He was notorious for his time with his enemies, his many dates and...
299K 7.3K 31
Winter Swan intelligent carefree who loved anything that had to do with the snow and cold weather. She was excited to go back to her hometown of fork...
97K 3K 77
Margaret Allie Brandon. A 17-year-old girl stuck living with an abusive guardian since her mother died in a car crash. The same car crash that left M...