The Cliche Gone Wrong

By youdontevennomi

THIS STORY IS NOT YET FINISHED! ****** This is almost a typical love story. Girl meets boy. They fall in lo... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Character Introduction
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-one
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-three
Chapter Twenty-four
Chapter Twenty-five
Chapter Twenty-six
Chapter Twenty-seven
Character Introduction
Chapter Twenty-eight
Chapter Twenty-nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-one
Chapter Thirty-two
Chapter Thirty-three
Chapter Thirty-four
Chapter Thirty-five
Chapter Thirty-six
Chapter Thirty-seven
Chapter Thirty-eight
Chapter Thirty-nine
Chapter Forty-one
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-three
Chapter Forty-four
Chapter Forty-five
Chapter Forty-six
Chapter Forty-seven
Chapter Forty-eight
Chapter Forty-nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-one
Chapter Fifty-two
Chapter Fifty-three
Chapter Fifty-four
Chapter Fifty-five
Chapter Fifty-six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty One
Chapter Sixty-two
Chapter Sixty-Three

Chapter Forty

1.7K 117 17
By youdontevennomi

I try to act casual as I wait outside my first period, leaning against the row of lockers as I stare toward the doors that exit into the parking lot. A group my friends chat around me, talking about what they want to do this weekend. I struggle to pay attention to Connor's animated retelling of what happened at his house last night when but my eyes keep drifting to those doors every time they open.

"Hey Jude," a girl flirts as she sidles up beside me.

I turn to face her completely, grateful that I don't have to crane my neck anymore to look at the door. Instead I just stare at the doors that are in the background behind her, hoping I come off as aloof instead of just an asshole.

"Oh hey uhh...." I draw a blank on her name.I know I've seen her hovering around the edges of our group. I think its like Ashley or Michelle or Tami with an I. "...Uhh what's up?"

"I heard about what happened during lacrosse practice yesterday." I barely stop myself from rolling my eyes as she bats her overly made-up lashes at me. She should go more natural like Kille—I mean Kenedi.

Like Kenedi. Wow, I'm really going to need to get used to saying that.

A touch on my arm pulls me back to the one-sided conversation I'm engaged in. "Are you afraid your coach is going to bench you?"

"I'm the fucking captain, he's not going to bench me!" I snap at her, suddenly giving her all of my attention. "Where the hell did you even hear that from?"

Before she can respond the bell rings, signaling for everyone to start making their way to their classes. Quite a few people from our large group break off to head toward different parts of the school. The few remaining reluctantly make their way into Mrs. Baez's layer, preparing themselves for an hour of torture.

Connor purposefully bumps into my shoulder as he pauses outside of the door, catching my attention. "You coming in or what?"

"Yeah..." I trail off, my eyes flickering to the doors at the end of the hall but not seeing the person I'm looking for. "Just give me a minute."

He looks at me curiously but doesn't push it, following the rest of our friends in with loud laughs from another one of their many inside jokes. I move to the side as more people stream down the hallway toward the classrooms, the echoes of doors slamming closed repeatedly throughout the hall making my nerves start to fray.

She's always late. Why would today be any different? I shouldn't be nervous. Maybe I should text her.

I pull out my phone as the one-minute warning bell rings, drawing up her contact information to send her a quick text. But what should I say? I stare at the last message she sent me yesterday when we hung out during lunch. Before I can even draft a text my phone is yanked out of my hands. 

"What the fuck?" I question looking up furiously only to see Alan in front of me, scrolling through my conversation. "Dude, what the hell are you doing?"

"I was just about to ask you the same thing." He murmurs distractedly as he squints at the screen. "Why are you texting Killer? I thought you were staying away from her."

"I never said I was going to do that." I spit as snatch my phone out of his hand and tuck it into my pocket, all thoughts of texting Kil—Kenedi out of my mind.

"You've got to be kidding me!" Alan groans loudly, drawing the attention of the few students that are scrambling to make it to their classes on time. "Why do you insist on fucking yourself over?"

"You have no idea what you're talking about, man!" I hiss.

"I know more than you fucking do!" Alan yells right back, not bothering to keep his voice down.

The final bell rings at that moment. The hallways are now empty and silent, since everyone is in class. And if we keep yelling at each other like this, someone is sure to notice and come out into the hall

Alan takes a deep breath before continuing, his voice barely restrained. "I know you're probably just looking for a last fling before college, but did you have to choose Killer? Can't you just fuck some random sophomore and then move on like you did a couple weeks ago?"

I flinch at that reminder, trying not to focus on the hazy details of that night or I'll get a headache. "This isn't like that."

"Sure it's not," Alan rolls his eyes as he crosses his arms over his chest. "Jude, what're you looking for? What do you want?"

The double doors that lead to the parking lot crash open and we both turn to stare at the sudden sound. Killer is running down the long hallway, her hair flying behind her as she fails to make it to class on time. Her eyes lock onto me a few seconds later, a slight smile transforming her face, but that quickly turns into a frown as she sees Alan standing next to me.

"I don't even know," I say quietly to Alan as I watch Killer's run slow to a jog and then a walk. "But I think she'll help me find it."

He doesn't have time to respond before Killer is next to us, standing awkwardly in front of the door to our first period with her hand on the handle. But she doesn't go in, her eyes locked on me as if she's waiting for me to acknowledge her or something.

"Morning Ki—Kenedi," I smile at her.

A bright smile takes over her face as she stares at me. God, she looks so beautiful. Should I hug her? Is that something I'm supposed to do? Maybe give her a high five?

Her eyes flicker to Alan briefly before she looks at me again, her smile uncontained. "Morning Shills." She starts to open the door but then stops, biting her lips nervously. "I mean, Jude."

I laugh in surprise, not used to having her call me by my first name. But Alan just groans loudly as he walks off down the hall toward the class he should have been at 5 minutes ago.

"What's his problem?" Kenedi asks, taking her hand off the door as she turns to completely face me. Something tightens in my chest at the way she's staring at me. When did she start looking at me like that?

"Beats me," I shrug, not really wanting to tell her what we were talking about.

She nods silently but keeps staring at me, her eyes twinkling.

"What?" I ask, touching my cheeks self-consciously. "Is there something on my face?"

She shakes her head equally as silently as she looks at me for a few seconds longer, before reaching out to grab the door again.

"You wouldn't want to skip again, would you?" I ask suddenly wanting to spend some more one-on-one time with her.

"We should really go to class," Killer frowns, but she doesn't open the door to go inside.

"But we could go see Chiiii..." I tempt her, knowing that she hasn't seen Chi in a couple days.

She seriously contemplates that idea, but after a few seconds she shakes her head. "We're already here. Let's just go to class." She bites her lower lip. "But I don't have work today; so maybe I can come over later to see her? I miss my baby girl."

I think about the party that Connor is throwing at his house later tonight, but I don't even have to weigh the options of getting drunk with the same people while talking about the same things and throwing myself into the act of pretending nothing is wrong or spending time with her.

"Yeah, we could do that." I try to be nonchalant, but the mischievous grin on her face makes me know that I failed.

"Perfect!" Killer—Kenedi smiles before she throws open the classroom door and walks in.

"Ms. Hayes, Mr. Shills." Mrs. Baez stops her entire lecture like she always does, forcing the entire class to pay attention to us as we stroll in late. "Thank you for finally gracing us with your presence."

Kill—I mean, Kenedi ducks her head down as she walks quickly to her desk, but I take my time, practically floating across the room and drawing the attention of all eyes as I slowly make my way to my seat.

"You seem to be enjoying yourself Mr. Shills." Mrs. Baez scoffs, crossing her arms over her chest. "Well, since you seem so happy to arrive to my class late, you should be happy to spend an hour after school in detention. And Ms. Hayes, you can join him!"

K—Kenedi muffles her groan from her desk a few rows behind mine but I have a completely opposite reaction. The idea of spending even more time with her is... I don't even know. It just is.

My smile is absolutely genuine as I finally slide into my desk, Mrs. Baez's punishment music to my ears. "Mrs. Baez, I couldn't think of anything I'd rather do this afternoon."

A/N Sorry I didn't post last night y'all! I was dead tired after helping my sister move into her new house, but here's the new chapter!

Is this the kind of run-in you were expecting between Shills and Killer, I mean Kenedi? Does this remind you of that awkward encounter after a drunken one-night stand where neither of the people know what to say? Except neither of these two were drunk.....and they didn't even fuck.....yet *cue evil laugher* 

I personally feel like they're still just trying to get used to each other, and figure out what is even going on between them. Because things have really changed so much from their initial encounters to now...

But moving on! What do y'all think of Alan? Do you still think he's just a caring best friend, or is he bordering on overbearing? Is he just looking out for Shills, or maybe he has his own motives? What do you think??

Let me know! Comment, like, and follow me!

Much Love,

Naomi

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

218K 6.4K 51
Have you ever dreamed of finding...the one? Of course you have, we all have. We hold on to that hope that there is an invisible string attached to o...
1.2K 145 26
[COMPLETED] A story between a girl and a boy who talk on the phone together. The girl thinks the guy is someone else, but the guy knows who the girl...
2.2K 56 11
Story about a broken girl and not so broken boy. ✴▫✴▫✴ Let's repair the broken.
2.6K 164 33
Just another typical love story. Maybe with a twist?