The Elf Thief

By singtherage

When a king lost the one thing he ever loved, he turned to the only thing he thought could comfort him: reven... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Sonya
Chapter 2: The King's Son
Chapter 3: The Elf Thieves' Hideout
Chapter 4: The Elf Hunt
Chapter 5: Hunting the Hunter
Chapter 6: Through the Fog
Chapter 7: Discovery
Chapter 8: Jailbreak
Chapter 9: The King's Secret
Chapter 10: Flight
Chapter 11: No Going Back
Chapter 12: Quarrels
Chapter 13:The Guardian
Chapter 14: Fay City
Chapter 15: Answers
Chapter 16: The Emperor
Chapter 17: Dreams
Chapter 18: The Asylum
Chapter 19: Ventar
Chapter 20: Conspiracies, Escape and a Few Hitchhikers
Chapter 21: A Familiar Face
Chapter 22: Eron
Chapter 24: Temper Tantrums
Chapter 25: Ghosts
Chapter 26: Magic and Near Death Experiences
Chapter 27: A Visitor from the Mountains
Chapter 28: A Fear of Failure
Chapter 29: Less Than Warm Welcomes
Chapter 30: The Council
Chapter 31: The Gyresherm
Chapter 32: Gifts
Chapter 33: Leaving
Chapter 34: An Enemy's Ally
Chapter 35: The Pains of a Broken Heart
Chapter 36: The Hermit
Chapter 37: Losing Control
Chapter 38: Of Monsters and Men
Chapter 39: Rulers of the Mountains
Chapter 40: The Naming Game
Chapter 41: The Queen of Dusk
Chapter 42: He Who Stains the Snow With Blood
Chapter 43: The Commander and the Scout
Chapter 44: Homecoming
Chapter 45: The Calling of War
Chapter 46: New Setbacks
Chapter 47: Stained Glass and Shadows
Chapter 48: The Value of a Life
Chapter 49: Ultim
Chapter 50: A Battle of the Broken
Chapter 51: Look into My Eyes
Chapter 52: A New Beginning
Epilogue: 10 Years Later...
Author's Note

Chapter 23: Dealings with a Dwarf

1.5K 65 6
By singtherage

Chapter 23

Dealings with a Dwarf

            The old building seemed to consume Eron’s figure as he disappeared in front of Dearekk. Nyx, the Seer, Sonya and himself were all standing in the alley, waiting while Eron hopefully found a dwarf willing to help them.

            Dearekk’s mind wandered to the rest of their company. Enoka was off on a mission for Eron, and Zabin had stayed behind to talk to some other leaders in the city.

Dearekk let out a snort. Zabin. He had never really like the fay anyways. To be honest he was almost happy that the boy was staying behind. Why Sonya kissed him, remained a mystery to Dearekk. It wasn’t as though there was anything special about him.

Eron stepped back outside the building, jerking Dearekk from his thoughts. “There is one,” Eron said, a scowl on his face. “But his price is not cheap and he isn’t the most…trustworthy dwarf around.”

“What so we’re just hiring a dwarf who is going to steal our money and leave?” the Seer snapped, his arms crossed across his chest as he leaned against the alley wall. He rolled his eyes, a look of contempt on his face.

“No,” Eron shot back, “You are hiring a dwarf who might steal your money and leave.”

“That’s such a comfort,” the Seer replied sarcastically.

Eron’s eyes narrowed. “He wants to see you and the elf-child,” he spat at Dearekk. “But be careful, he’s not in a good mood.”

“Why do we even need a guide?” Nyx asked. “You know where the entrance is, so just take us there!”

Whirling on her, Eron hissed out, “Because I know where the entrance is, but I know nothing after that. What I know is just a door, and after that door is a maze of passages, dead ends and traps. You wouldn’t make it ten minutes in there! I found you a dwarf and that is all I can, and will, do for you.” With those words, Eron began to walk away.

“Wait!” Dearekk called out. “What’s his name?”

Eron didn’t even look back. “Kotn,” he replied just before the shadows swallowed him.

Dearekk turned to Sonya as a grimace crossed his features. “Well,” he said, “let’s go make a deal with a dwarf.”

As he walked into the building, it was as though he was walking into another world. Instead of being abandoned, ancient and full of spider webs like he had expected, it was a merry tavern with people eating, drinking and laughing.

Sonya was the first to make a move. Walking up to a wasted man, she tapped him on the shoulder. As he turned around drunkenly, she asked in a curt voice, “Kotn?”

The man waved his hand in the general direction of a beaten, wood door, and let out an unintelligible grunt before promptly falling off his chair.

Looking at Sonya, Dearekk shrugged and began to walk towards the door. Wrapping his hand around the iron doorknob, his grey eyes met Sonya’s green ones for a second. Then he opened the door.

A dim light lit the room from the glowing embers in the hearth, and a lone figure sat at a table. “What?” a masculine voice snapped. “What do you want? Why are you here?”

Dearekk stepped forward, “We wish to negotiate terms of travel.”

“Ah,” the dwarf said gruffly. “So you are the half-elf Eron was speaking of. Where is the elf-child?” He looked around the room, beady eyes searching for Sonya.

Sonya took a step forward. “I am Sonya Elf-Child, Member of the Elf Thieves and Daughter of the Trees.”

The dwarf gazed at her with something like awe. “An elf,” he whispered, “A Child of the Trees. The time of glory is returning, we have not seen elves in centuries.”

“Will you give us passage?” Sonya asked eagerly.

Suddenly cool and composed, the dwarf leaned back in his chair. “I will,” he said slowly, “for a small fee.”

“A journey wouldn’t be a journey without a dwarf and his, ‘small fee’.” Sonya grumbled as Dearekk tossed a bag of coins on the table.

“Will that be enough?” Dearekk asked, hoping desperately that it would be. It was all that they had.

The dwarf leaned forward and weighed the bag in his hand. “It will suffice. At least for now,” he said with a malicious glint in his eye. He turned to Sonya, “It’s a deal. The name is Kotn. I suggest you get your companions; they are getting restless. The entrance to Mortem is close by.”

            As the dwarf turned away, Dearekk thought he saw something else in his eyes, a sort of deceit behind his brown orbs. Mortem, Dearekk thought to himself. You are much more than you seem, aren’t you Maze of Death?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

            It didn’t look like a door to an underground citadel. It looked old, ratty and worn down. The wooden carvings had been eroded away so they almost looked like natural bumps in the wood. The metal hinges were rusting, and over all, it just looked shabby.

            No wonder no one has found the entrance to Mortem before, Dearekk thought to himself. You could walk by it and not even notice it was there!

            Kotn reached out and placed his hand on the door. While he murmured a few forigen words, the door began to glow, illuminating the alley with a crimson light. The dwarf quickly pushed open the door.

            “Go, go, go!” he hissed, his eyes darting around the street. “Go, before we attaract unwanted attention!”

            Nyx was the first to step though the door. Standing in the entrance, she glanced back at them. “Are you coming?” she asked in an irritated voice.

            Sonya looked at Dearekk, an unspoken question in her eyes: Is this smart?All he could do was shrug in return before following Nyx. Sonya and the Seer trailed in after them. Kotn was the last to come, slamming the shimmering red door in their wake.

            “Let’s move,” he said grimly.

            They tromped though the tight tunnel, it seemed to get smaller and smaller as they went. When Deaerkk looked over, he saw Sonya shaking and sweating. That was when it hit him: the elf girl was claustophobic.

            She obviously had noticed him staring, because she turned and whispered, “It’s like the prison cell all over again. Except this time there’s no...” her voice chocked off with a sobb.

            “This time there’s no Remaduce,” Dearekk quietly finished for her.

She nodded, a single tear slipping down her face.

Dearekk gently rested a hand on her shoulder. “Remaduce may be gone,” he said quietly, “but you are never alone. Remember that, Sonya. Nyx, the Seer, me, we’ll always be here. No matter what, you will never be alone.”

Sonya let out a curt nodd, tears still brimming in her eyes. “I’m sorry,” she whispered, wiping her green orbs angrily and looking down. “I shouldn’t be so weak.”

“Missing someone you love is not a weakness,” Dearekk said, trying to keep the pain out of his voice. Memories flashed through his head, Rith and himself playing jokes on the nobles, his father training him in the courtyard. He had lost friends and family, and even though they had not died, they had to be dead to him. He was an elf now. His past, and everyone in it, lay behind him.

Sonya’s head jerked up, a look of relazation on her face. She nodded slowly before saying, “We should catch up with the others.”

“Are you coming?” the Seer’s voice called from the darkness, distain evident in it. “We found a cavern and Kotn’s lost.”

“I am not lost!” Kotn’s indignant voice quickly followed.

Dearekk couldn’t help but shoot a grin a Sonya. “The Seer vs. Kotn, this should be fun.”

She let out a short laugh before following him down the tunnel into a bigger cavern.

The Seer and Kotn were arguing while Nyx was leaning against the earthen wall.

“There is no way out of here!” the Seer snapped. “If you knew where you were going then we would be in Cretinia!”

“I do know where I’m going and you better shut that arrogant mouth of yours before I leave you for dead!” Kotn shouted back.

Dearekk stepped forward and faced Kotn, “If you know where we are, then please get us out of here. If you don’t then tell us and let us help!” He stopped and turned towards the Seer. “And you should show a little more respect if you want us to get out of here alive!”

“He started it,” the Seer muttered under his breath.

Suddenly, Dearekk felt a small tingle on the nape of his neck. DUCK AND TURN!! a voice shouted in his head. Dearekk rolled on the ground right as a knife whizzed past where his head had been moments ago. Before he really knew what was happening, Ventar was in his hands and he had pinpointed the exact location of where the knife had come from. But when he swung the sword, there was no one there. Instead there was a dwarf hefting an ax climbing up the walls like a spider.

“You think I would betray my people for a simple bag of gold?” Kotn hissed as he clung to the walls above, his feet finding impossible ledges to stand on. “Do you know nothing of the loyalty one has to it’s race? You were a fool to follow into Mortem, the Maze of Death. And now you will die, just like those who came before you.”

With those words, the ceiling opened up and the mercenary dwarf disappeared into the rock.

“NO!” Dearekk shouted and tried to throw Ventar after him. But the dwarf was gone.

“Well there goes our chance of survival,” Nyx said, a mask of indifference on her face. She walked over to Dearekk. “How did you survive? That knife would have killed even the most skilled fay?”

“I don’t know,” Dearekk said, “I just...” he trailed off. Words echoed in his mind, I give you the skill of a master.. Only Sonya knew that he was the Blade-Bearer, The Reaper of the Cursed.

“You just...” the Seer continued, his eyes narrowing in suspicion.

“I just sort of...knew,” Dearekk finished weakly.

Nyx’s looked him over for a moment, before abruptly turning away. “Whatever,” she muttered, and began searching the cavern for a way out.

The Seer, however, was not as easily deterred. He walked up to Dearekk until he stood inches away from him. Even though the grey cloth was still wrapped around his eyes, Dearekk could feel the Seer’s gaze penetrating into him. “There is something more to you, something older. You have always been different, always hiding something. Do not think I am so blind as to miss that.”

(A/N Buongiorno! Greetings from Italy! Sorry for the super, super, super, super late update, but my life has being kind of hectic lately! We are in Tuscany and will be going to Florence and Venice soon. I'm sooooo pumped :] The picture is of Kotn. Anyways, vote and comment please!!)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3K 248 29
It came during the most desperate of times, after a reign of bloodshed. It thundered on in spite of terror, hopelessness and the great chain of inequ...
6 1 3
Magic, blood and poorly explained(questionable) motives. What else could you possibly wish for? For test readers. Unfinished.
40 0 11
In a world full of magic , evil is hidden in the darkness and it's up to the hero's to bring them into the light and stop them. But how is that possi...