Oracle

By Hiddenhearts93

Jaspar spent most of his life hiding because of his power. He should have listened to the warning not to go t... More

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
Part 34
Part 35
Part 36
Part 37
Part 38
Part 39
Part 40
Part 41
Part 42
Part 43
Part 44
Part 46
Part 47
Part 48
Part 49
Part 50
Part 51
Part 52
Part 53
Part 54
Part 55
Part 56
Part 57
Epilogue

Part 45

2.8K 203 6
By Hiddenhearts93

The blonde lady's name was Fran. She worked for a small construction company, helping to organise the paperwork side of the business. She was too weak to help with the actual heavy lifting and didn't really understand the mechanics of any of the building work they did but she could do the paperwork well and her boss liked her for it.

The company was currently in the middle of doing several big jobs. Big enough jobs that Fran was having to stay behind late to finish the work up. Her boss had gone home to his wife hours beforehand. She didn't want to stay so late. She had a date. Still, Fran dutifully called up and cancelled. It was no one important, just a friend of a friend. Still, she felt a little guilty about it. A little guilt, however, was better than angering her boss and risking losing her job.

She really wished she could take it home and get it done there. The docks weren't safe late at night and everyone knew it. There was no point worrying about it now. She was here and the large pile of paperwork didn't seem to be going down fast. She still had a solid few hours of work to do and then she could go home to her cat and relax with a glass of wine

Jaspar whimpered as he came out of the vision of the woman. It was the same woman he had seen being ripped apart in his first vision after being blinded. Her name was Fran. She had a cat. She was doing her work, not knowing the danger she was facing, not knowing that her time might be up in a few hours. Jaspar's chest clenched at the thought and his eyes watered.

He knew that it was another vision like the one which had shown him Nathan being beaten up. Not a vision of the future but rather of the present. Jaspar could taste the lip balm she had used, and the bad coffee she was drinking. The woman was just living her daily life.

Curling on the bed, Jaspar grabbed a pillow and sobbed into it. There were two people who needed saving that night and he wasn't sure if either would survive the fates he had foreseen. Bill had escaped his death, only to almost die the next day. If Bill didn't survive... If Bill died, maybe it was a sign that if Jaspar saw someone's death, they were going to die regardless of his intervention.

"Is this all I'm ever going to see from now on?" Jaspar whispered to himself, mostly to hear another voice in the room. The only sound apart from him was the rumble of voice coming up from the bar below. The rumble was dim though and it was impossible to pick up individual voices. "All I am going to see... is the death of others?"

It was not a pleasant thought at all. Especially because unlike Calder and John, there would be no escape from it.

"Jaspar?" Leo's voice called out, muffled slightly from being behind the door. "Are you awake?"

"Can't exactly sleep at the moment," Jaspar chuckled bitterly, climbing off the bed and feeling his way to the door so he didn't have to yell. "Can you let me out?" he asked, not sure what he could do or even if there was anything he could do but wanting out of the locked room regardless. Fuck Elison.

"Sorry, Jas. Elison took the key with him," Leo confessed sadly. "But I thought you'd like an update?" he offered weakly, his voice breaking slightly. Leo was good in an emergency situation but things were being to hit now it had slowed down again.

"What's happened?" Jaspar asked firmly, steeling himself for whatever news he was about to learn.

"Bill's alive. Just. Doc has got him stable for the moment. They were going to take him to a hospital but Donny gave Oct his car and everyone has had a few drinks so no one can drive. The ambulance services won't come here after dark and the fog is rolling in so... We put Bill in Justice's room. The hope is that the healing charms in the wards will help keep him alive until morning," Leo explained, his words tense. "His wounds are beginning to heal despite the poison which was used so it might be working."

"That's... hopeful," Jaspar said, audibly forcing himself to be optimistic about the situation. "Thank the gods that John put that charm in the wards."

"That's all we can ask for," Leo chuckled, the exhaustion in his voice getting more apparent with every moment. "Bill might not want to wake up after this," he breathed.

A chill went down Jaspar's back at the implication. Bill had been saved in John's pub. John would claim Bill's soul if he was saved. A debt Bill would never be able to free himself from. Even scarier John could possibly still claim the beast tamer's soul even if he wasn't saved. Chances were Bill belonged to John now.

"What will John do to him?" Jaspar said slowly, almost scared to ask but needing to know the answer. Bill was hurt because of him. It had been his favour which had put Bill at risk. Bill was no pretty young man. Just what did John do with people he couldn't use to attract customers to his establishments?

"I don't know," Leo breathed softly. "Bill's not John's typical type but John did say something which suggested he had a plan for if Bill became his."

There was silence for a moment as both men considered that. Finally, Jaspar felt another question niggle at the back of his neck. "Leo? You said Donny gave Oct his car. Where did Oct go?" Jaspar asked frowning. Oct was reacting strangely to Nathan. From everything Jaspar had learned, the demon shouldn't care what happened to the human boy at all but Oct always seemed to be the one playing hero when Nathan was in trouble.

"To find Maria," Leo commented softly. "She's not answering her phone. Not unusual when she's doing something off the clock. We don't have Warden Tim or Warden Isaac's mobile numbers."

"She's guarding the dock so Fran doesn't die," Jaspar murmured, his heart aching as the face of Fran went through it again. "What time is it?" he asked, gripping his forearms tightly. How much longer did Fran and Nathan have?

"Just gone ten," Leo said. "Who's Fran?"

"The woman in my vision. The one I had in Elison's arms which proved I was still a seer. I had flash just now of her. She's working late doing paperwork. She has a pet cat she wants to go home to see..." Jaspar trailed off sniffing as emotion ran through him. They might have to pick between Nathan and Fran. Jaspar felt tears run down his cheek but he wiped them away. He wasn't a teenage girl, he was a man. He couldn't burst into tears every time the prospect of death appeared. Especially if all his visions from now on were going to be about death.

Even as he was telling himself this, the faces of Nathan and Fran filled his mind, along with the almost certain feeling that one of those souls was going to die in a horrific way. Both faces twisted into the looks of pain as he remembered how they died. Jaspar breathed heavily. It was almost too much to bear the thought off.

"Jaspar!" Leo yelled, jolting Jaspar out of his thoughts, "Listen to me!"

"I'm listening. Sorry," Jaspar breathed, pressing his forehead against the wooden door.

"Mari doesn't have to leave her post. We just need the numbers of the other Wardens so we can get their help," Leo said firmly. "Everyone will survive this Jaspar. We will make sure of it."

"I pray to the gods you are right Leo," Jaspar smiled weakly before moving back to the bed and curling up in the blankets. He didn't want anyone to die that night.

Another flash filled his mind. This time of a man Jaspar didn't know crying in a bathroom, curled up next to a vivid green bathtub. The bathroom was dirty and looked like a low rent hotel bathroom. The man had blood on his ripped clothes but wasn't injured as far as Jaspar could tell. Just distressed and not looking up. In the mirror, there was a monster laughing.

Elison growled angrily as he checked the final crematorium on his list. No one had found any sign of Nathan or where the men were planning on burning him. All they could find was cold furnaces, closed for the night on Calder's orders. Calder was on a date and leaving his aid, Peter and his second, Brenton to help. Neither was much use without Calder. Peter knew where everything was but couldn't command and Brenton could command but was dumb as rocks.

"Peter," Elison snapped as the man answered his phone. "Have you got any news?"

"No, Elison," Peter admitted sounding frustrated and slightly angry. "I can't find anything. I've had people check the crematoriums, the incinerators, the slaughterhouses, old buildings that would have used it for central heating... Nothing," he exhaled. "There had got to be something I am missing!"

"Well, you better think about it quick. We are running out of time," Elison growled, not willing to admit he wouldn't have even thought about the last opinion. Then something itched at the back of his neck. "What about closed down slaughterhouses?" he asked, knowing several had gone out of business in recent years due to the bad trade.

"They would have shown up on the list," Peter said slowly. "Unless they were built after... Let me do a search," Peter commented, Elison could hear the man typing over the phone. "Four new options. I'll send you the addresses."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

263K 13.2K 32
His voice dropped a few octaves in a way that made my knees tremble and my body ache, "come here and I'll show you." Kellen Lacroix has suffered the...
570 32 7
I would have never thought I would get to see him again... He stood in front of me with a smile... He looked way different from when we were kids...
234K 5.5K 45
"All this was a misstake. I thought I would get help and be free but I threw myself into another nightmare." My voice barely a whisper. ------- She h...
420 104 39
At times,we feel love is the most beautiful feeling,yet we fail to see the lingering danger!!! You can't escape your fate, whatever you try and howe...