ȼhɨℓď ๏ƒ ƒɨя€ (ώąţţ¥ ąώąяď$ 2...

By darkphoenix

This is the old version of COF that is oddly mixed with edits. I decided to start a whole "new" story. This o... More

Child of Fire
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8: Murder
Chapter 9: Dragons
Chapter 10: The King's Wrath
Chapter 11: Gypsies
Chapter 12: The Future
Chapter 13: Elijah
Chapter 14: The Past
Chapter 15: Payback
Chapter 16: Training
Chapter 17: Discovery
Chapter 18: Dragonfire
Chapter 19: Home
Chapter 20: Prepare for War
Chapter 21: The Siege
Chapter 22: Life after Death
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Epilogue

Chapter 5

924 32 4
By darkphoenix

Ignore the fact that there are some consistency issues with the names, lol sorry about that!

Chapter 5

My world was being obliterated and there was nothing I could do to stop it, any of it. My anger vanished but it was replace with numbness. I had become so overwhelmed that my mind had given up trying to process it all. I looked at the trees around me and took a deep breath. I was acting like a child who was throwing a tantrum. This was my family and I had to take care of them in any way I could, even if it meant marriage, regardless of my reservations on the matter.

Standing I picked up the sword and returned it to the hiding spot. I also grabbed the dragon's egg. It was warm to the touch. I smiled. Warmth managed to grow within me blotting out some of the darkness. With a heavy heart I removed my apron and wrapped the egg in it and placed it beside the sword in the tree. Not only were my family safer with the egg here but so was the dragon. If it were hidden no one could hurt it. It frightened me by how much I had grown to care for the egg in such a short amount of time.

I began to walk; I had no intended destination. I was not sure how long I had been walking when my foot snagged an exposed root. I fell forward my hands bracing my fall at the expense of my hands. I felt blood well on my palms. I did not care the scratches seemed trivial compared to the sickness that was stealing my mother from me.

I rolled onto my back but made no attempt to rise. My cloak was like a blanket protecting me from the ground but was probably caked in dirt. My hair was splayed around my head in a mess of curls and snarls. I most likely looked as if I had just fallen over and died.

I just stared into the sky. Redwoods towered above me and were soon lost in a dense fog that had begun to crawl along the forest floor. The crisp winter day did nothing to warm my chilled body. The wind began to chap my lips. Laying here was a silent way to scream. I had to find a way to live differently. I felt sick inside just thinking of it.

"What is that?" a voice hollered, it startled me out of the nap I had drifted into. The pounding of horse hooves thundered my way stopping within a few feet from me. Footfalls replaced hoof beats as people surrounded. I did not even spare them a glance I just continued look at the sky.

"Miss? Are you all right? Can you tell me your name?" a man's voice asked their hand brushing against my cheek. The voice belonged to a young man with brown curls. His eyes were filled with concern. His touch jolted me from my stupor. I sat up so quickly the men who surrounded me tumbled back in surprise.

"Are you all right?" the brown haired man asked again. I surveyed my surroundings; eight men circled me. Six wore the traditional leathers and tunics of royal knights but the others were dressed differently, more regal.

"Miss?" he implored again. My gaze returned to the man next to me. I took more time to take him in. His eyes where an unusual gold like hazel with a darker almost black outline. They were strangely haunting. His jaw was strong and lined with slight stubble. It was after a few moments of me just watching I noticed his ring, a huge ruby with an emerald halo, the ring given to the crown prince.

"F..f..ine your Highness." I stuttered partially from the cold and partially from being in the presence of royalty. This was the royal convoy from the previous day.

"Ah," he sighed. "please do not worry with formalities I do not very much like them. You may call me Tristan. My I ask what your name is?"

"Gwendolyn." I paused. This situation was growing more uncomfortable by the second. "I apologize for my inconvenience but I should take my leave."

"Gwendolyn." The prince repeated my name and smiled. "Beautiful name. I feel as if we have met before?"

"Uh." I was unsure of how to reply.

"Wait; you were in the market the previous day?" I could recognition form in his eyes. "Why were you in such a hurry?"

"I was late." I replied dumbly. I tried to stand up but I wobbled at least three men attempted to catch me. The Prince reached out and grasped my arm.

"Are you alright?" he asked.

"I will be alright, thank you for your concern but I really should be returning home." I replied dusting off my dress.

"You look far from fine. At least allow us to accompany you home," The prince began.

"Thank you for your kindness but I believe can manage on my own."

"As prince I command you to allow us to escort you home." My insides squirmed. I did not want to spend any more time than I already had with the Prince.

"Is your father Archer Markworth by chance?" The Prince asked.

"Yes." I answered slightly unsure.

"Your father speaks incredibly highly of you. You share his hair I see." The Prince smiled. A blush crept into my cheeks. I was not used to being complimented by strangers.

"Thank you My Prince." I said bowing my head.

"I also give you my condolences." He added. My heart sank and I gazed at my feet.

"Mine as well Miss Gwendolyn." Another gentlemen added. Looking up he stood just behind the prince. Short blond hair was cropped close to his scalp. His features reminded me that of a fox, sly and cunning.

"Thank you."

"Name's Gideon Richards." He outstretched his hand. I clasp his hand and he shook it. "When Tristan is King I will become his right hand man." He boasted. "We have been friends since we were boys."

"Your Highness!" Someone called from up ahead. A scout came thundering up on his horse. "You need to see this!"

"What is it?" Tristan asked.

"I am not sure Your Highness, it is hard to explain."

"Gwendolyn if you would so kindly take my hand?" Tristan reached down and offered his hand. I took it nervously. He pulled me up and on to the horse so I was sitting just in front of him. My stomach turned over in knots wondering what the scout had found.

"Sorry if it is a tight fit." Tristan apologized. From the corner of my eye I could see a faint blush rise to his cheeks.

"Do not be embarrassed My Prince you are a man." I smirked hiding my laugh. Once everyone was back on their horses we took off behind the scout at a brisk pace.

We reached the indicated location within minutes. And with each passing minute my stress increased.

"What in the world," Tristan's breath ruffled my hair. He dismounted his horse and walked up to the red wood. He brushed his hands over the foot deep gouge in the tree's trunk. I cringed.

"And these; look." Gideon added as he dismounted. We lowered our gazes to the ground. Black charcoaled handprints were etched into the ground. Those were mine too. I was beginning to feel faint.

"What could do something like this?" Tristan asked bewildered.

"It could not be," one guard muttered his voice deep and gruff. He rode a massive black draft horse. "They are all gone, but it is the only thing that makes a shred of sense."

"And what is that?" Asked Gideon.

"Ascensorem." I cowered back at his words; hopefully the prince did not take notice.

"We killed the last dragon yesterday; father searched to ensure it was truly last. How can there be an Ascensorem with not dragon? Do they not draw their strength from the dragon Percival?" Tristan inquired.

"From what I know when dragon numbers plummet rather than laying a clutch of eggs they only lay one. The newest generation is then born in the breath of a dying dragon directly into the hands of their Ascensorem." The guard attempted to hide his appreciation. "It can be safe to assume that who ever this Ascensorem is, that they now have your sword in their possession." The guard said in a tight voice silence followed his comment.

"Father is not going to like this. He is not going to like this at all." Tristan groaned distraught.

"It is also said that the Ascensorem are fiercely protective of their own." he paused. "Which means that you my Prince are in grave danger." Percival's gaze landed on the prince.

"Then we best get out of the Redwood before we stumble onto more surprises." Tristan sighed.

"Can I go home?" I asked gripping tightly to a chunk of the horse's mane. "I do not feel well." A nauseous feeling rose in my throat and I felt clammy.

"Oh yes of course; this is not talk to burden a lady with." Tristan said returning to his horse.

The convoy took me all the way to my front door. As we rode many stares followed us. The outskirts of Auchendale was a tight knit community and everyone knew who I was and were wildly curious why I was riding with the royal convoy; let alone with the prince on his own horse. I tried to keep my head down as best I could.

"Gwendolyn?" Tristan asked. We had slowed down to a walk when we entered the busier part of the city.

"Yes? Please just call me Gwen. Gwendolyn is what my parents call me when they are angry." I smiled.

"I heard some chatter this morning in the armory as we were leaving."

"What kind of chatter?" I murmured holding my breath.

"That your father was looking for you to take a husband; I know some good men working within the castle whose sons have been looking for wives. It would set you off well and allow you to help your father; I can tell family means a lot to you."

"Yes; they do." I clutched the saddle tighter sadness over coming me again. As we came upon my house my father sat on a crate just outside the door his head in his hands. His head lifted when he heard our approach.

"Gwendolyn!" My father cried racing up to me. He pulled me from the saddle and straight into his arms.

"I am sorry. I am so sorry!" I begged.

"Archer," Tristan said dismounting. They were clearly by far more acquainted that I had realized.

"My Prince;" My father replied bowing his head in respect. "Thank you for bringing my daughter home."

"My pleasure. I give you my condolences on your dear wife. I heard she was a wonderful woman and mother. Having over heard idle chatter I heard that Gwen will soon be taking I husband and I would like to help." As Tristan spoke I cringed into my father's chest.

"I am but I could never ask such a large favor of you your Highness."

"It is not even a favor, I merely wished to help."

"Yes, thank you your Highness. I do not know how to go about any of this." I pushed from my father's chest looking at him in disbelief. I had a slight hope that he would reconsider the idea of marriage but I was wrong to hope at all. "Gwen I am sorry. You know this is the last thing I wanted to do." I did not even want to look at him. I had grown weary of other people dictating my life. I stood there trying not to let myself cry. I was tired of crying I was tired of being weak.

"Gwen I am sorry." Tristan stepped forward attempting to console me.

"Please just leave me alone." I begged, my tears were becoming harder and harder to hold back.

"I am just trying to help." He grabbed a hold of my arm.

I turned to him tears spilling from my eyes "Please." He let go of my arm, his face bleak of emotion. I slipped through the door and nearly plowed over Myla.

"Gwen?" she wrapped her arms around me and I fell apart in her arms. Heavy sobs racked my body. For once she was the one taking care of me not the other way around.

"Papa told me, I do not want to lose you Gwen. I cannot lose you both." She cried.

"I will not leave you; I will never leave you Myla. I promise you; I will always find you I will always protect you." I promised her. My tears dried up, as I became the strong one again.

"Gwen, Gwen," Mother croaked from her room.

I wiped what remained of my tears and treaded lightly into her and Papa's room. I took a seat on the edge of the bed. She looked even worse than she had the day before. It would not be long before I lost her for good. Her once luscious hair had dulled and grayed. Her skin had a sickly parlor and her blue eyes lost their sparkle.

"I overheard you and your father;" She began.

"I am sorry Mama; I cannot do this, once you are gone who will take care of Papa and Myla?"

"Archer is a strong man and by far more resourceful than you give him credit to be, and Myla," she sighed. "Myla is smart. She will find her way. But now it is time for you to find yours." She took a hold of my hand. "Marry a good man, then you will be able to take care of your family. Your father will not let you marry the wrong man. He is even more upset about this prospect than you are. Do not worry. Everything shall turn out alright." My mother was the woman who made me strong but without her I did not know how I would manage.

"Of course Mama," I sighed. "I am going to miss you so much." My tears reappeared. It was a wonder that I still had tears to cry.

"I will always love-" Mother broke off into a horrid coughing fit. She was gasping for air, her face went slack and she fell back. She was gone. My mother was gone.

"Mama? MAMA!" I screamed shaking her. Myla and Papa came rushing in. Myla's face was white as a sheet; she fell against the door frame. Papa raced to my side and took her in his arms, tears streamed down his cheeks.

"Wren." He murmured placing his head against hers.

"Gwen." Someone said. Looking up I noticed Tristan standing in the door his hand resting on Myla's shoulder comfortingly. Getting up I pushed past him motioning him to follow me. I stood by the fireplace allowing it to hold me upright.

"My deepest apologies," He began, but I held a hand up silencing him.

"Just find my sister, Myla, a decent wage, and me," the words died on my lips I was weak and defeated.

"A husband?" He asked. I merely nodded lacking the energy to do more.

"Gwen," He started again reaching for me. I cringed back from his outstretched hand.

"Please just go," I wept. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

413 24 7
𝘈 𝘴𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘴 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘮𝘺 𝘛𝘪𝘬𝘵𝘰𝘬 𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘯𝘦𝘥 𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘰 𝘢 𝘧𝘢𝘯𝘧𝘪𝘤! (It's a rewrite I intend to span from the start of the story to the...
476 40 22
I hated my old story 'the last dragon' so i made a new version but changed everything
312 197 43
this is my final product! my revised, and edited story. thanks for reading the original but this is a step up! please support me, for I am entering t...
3.6K 24 13
This is my first story I ever wrote so please be aware if something's bad.