My Daughter (Dramione)

By wantinghemmings

It was the news that shocked the Wizarding World. Hermione Granger, the War Heroine of the Second Wizarding W... More

Prologue (Updated)
Chapter 1 (Updated)
Chapter 2 (Updated)
Chapter 3 (Updated)
Chapter 4 (Updated)
Chapter 5 (Updated)
Chapter 6 (Updated)
Chapter 7 (Updated)
Chapter 8 (Updated)
Chapter 9 (Updated)
Chapter 10 (Updated)
Chapter 11 Pt. 1 (Updated)
Chapter 11 Pt. 2 (Updated)
Chapter 12 (Updated)
Chapter 13 (Updated)
Chapter 14 (Updated)
Chapter 15 (Updated)
Chapter 16 (Updated)
Chapter 17 (Updated)
Chapter 18 (Updated)
Chapter 20 (Updated)
Chapter 21 (Updated)
Chapter 22 (Updated)
Chapter 23 (Updated)
Chapter 24 (Updated)
Chapter 25 (Updated)
Chapter 26 (Updated)
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Book 2
Chapter 44 (Book 2)
Chapter 45 (Book 2)
Chapter 46 (Book 2)
Chapter 47 (Book 2)
Chapter 48 (Book 2)
Chapter 49 (Book 2)
Chapter 50 (Book 2)
Chapter 51 (Book 2)
Chapter 52 (Book 2)
Epilogue: The Final Chapter
Bloodlines Published!

Chapter 19 (Updated)

29.5K 873 700
By wantinghemmings

Chapter 19 *2020 Update*

I dare say the mansion has its beauties. I have seen the gardens and the newly built gazebo. Cormac McLaggen has spared no expense in restoring the parts that were destroyed during the second war. I have seen old renderings of the mansion and it has truly improved. It has been an honor to work on one of the old mansions. I admit I was surprised to have received the invitation to work on the home seeing it needs to be handled by the best people.

I do not know why they needed a second opinion on the repairs. It is planned by one of the most skilled architects and executed by the best builders. He did assure me in his letter that it was to make sure everything was in order for when they return. To answer your question, no he is not here. The groundskeeper has told me that Mr. McLaggen has gone to Scotland for the time being. I also heard he did not go there alone. He is, in fact, with a woman. No, I do not know who this woman but he intends to marry her. At least that's what has been going around. I do not know when he will return but I've spoken to his parents and they haven't confirmed or denied the rumors of their son getting married.

- An excerpt from an architect's letter to a friend

Despite Christmas being the happiest holiday around, a black cloud began to loom over the McLaggen Mansion. During the holidays the home was filled with celebration and joyful moments but for his particular holiday has turned dull and dreadful. Everyone inside the home felt it looming above them. Everyone was careful and anxious. One morning the master of the home had collapsed during lunch. It's been days since and he still hasn't recovered in fact he was growing paler and paler each passing day. Everyone feared the worst.

"How is he?" Hermione asked as the healer closed the guest room door. They had turned one of the spare rooms into Cormac's resting area as per his request. He didn't want to remain in their bedroom in his state.

The doctor pulled something out of his case and handed it to Hermione. "The tests we found were conclusive of poison."

"And the muggle tests?"

"We did as you asked. The muggle doctors have not deciphered anything. They are stumped as we are." The healers explained.

Hermione leaned on the wall and contained the tears in her eyes. Life has some way of bringing her misery at the most opportune moment. This can't be happening.

"However," The healer's voice had a hint of hope. "Based on Mr. McLaggen's travel history, he might have been in contact with the poison in Egypt."

"We funded an excavation in Egypt in January. We were informed that they had found a tomb and went to Egypt weeks before Christmas." Hermione explained remembering how excited they both were about the find. "There was an incident that caused a panic. One of the assistants had gone on her way and forcibly opened the sarcophagus."

"Was he present when it was opened?"

"He was the one who tried to stop him. After that health protocols were activated. He was cleared. Why did it manifest only now?"

"If we were to find an antidote for this it could take weeks or months that he doesn't have." The healer explained. They were all stumped. Despite modern wizard and muggle medicine, they couldn't find a cure. They could delay it but it was not enough.

"M-May I see him?" She asked her voice shaking in the realization of what the healer had said. Death. Another death. Karma. Maybe it was karma or simply punishment.

"I advise you to bring everyone together. I'm sorry Mrs. McLaggen."

"Thank you, healer."

They could only delay the pain. She couldn't do anything. Brightest Witch of her Age? What a load of dragon dung. She couldn't even save someone she cared for. She badly wanted to find that amateur and show her what she had done out of her foolishness but the young girl also had the same fate as Cormac if not worse. She had heard from sources that the young woman had died a week ago.

Hermione's eyes fluttered open when she felt something brush against her cheeks. She looked to Cormac and saw him awake.

"I'm sorry I woke you." He apologized. Hermione simply smiled and held his hand.

"It's alright. Do you need anything? Thirsty?" She asked. She rose from her seat and quickly filled a glass of water. She cradled his head carefully and held the glass to his lips. Every day he was growing weaker and it has come to the point where sitting up was a struggle.

She had spent nights sleeping in the armchair beside Cormac's bed. She wanted to be at his side as long as she possibly can. They both know what his fate was. All the money or the magic in the world couldn't fix this one.

"Hermione." Cormac's hoarse voice tugged her attention. He weakly held out his arm for her to hold. "You've made me so happy. Those years together were the best."

"They were. I never imagined I'd smile like that after what happened."

"I know you still love him and despite that, you gave me a piece of your heart. I'll treasure that always." This moment felt like it was the last conversation they were going to have. Her eyes watered at the thought when memories filled her mind and this weak man she loved smiled at her as if he wasn't feeling any pain.

"Cormac, you can't. No." Tears streamed down her face as she held his hand on her cheek trying to feel what's left of his warmth.

Cormac was about to speak but a violent cough had erupted from his lungs. Hermione lunged forward to try and comfort him. "I feel like this is my karma for forcing you to marry me."

"You didn't force me. It was my choice." She corrected him.

"That or maybe all of those ill advances I made back at school."

"You were an ass." She mused trying to fight off more tears. She placed her hand on his heart and felt his heartbeat weakening. "You can't leave me. I'm still weak."

"No, you're not. I've watched you blossom and grow. You abandoned your broken shell and forged a new one out of your own strength." He was assuring her but he knew she was ready. "Fight. Fight for what you believe in. You are Hermione Granger after all."

"N-No. Who will I talk to? Who will I confide in?"

"Shh. Look at me." Cormac wiped the trail of tears from her cheeks as he urged her to open her eyes to look at him. Hermione opened her eyes and met Cormac's comforting gaze. "You can still talk to me. I can't promise that you'll hear me but I'll still be with you. You started this alone but remember that in your journey you were never alone."

She felt the last beat. It was like slow motion but the sound of the muggle heart monitor echoed inside the room. She sobbed on his chest. This was really her punishment. It felt like another piece of her heart withered like a flower. Memories of their time together flowed through her mind. Cormac's persistence to make her believe he changed, the way he treated her when she was fragile, his warm smile every time he talked about Egypt and his proposal. A part of her heart loved him. She was thankful for everything he did.

She lifted her head from his chest and placed a soft kiss on his forehead and connected her forehead to his. "Thank you. You will forever stay in my heart."

He deserved so much more. She thought.

--

Cormac's wake stayed intimate. Only friends, family, and a few business partners were allowed to attend. For the rest of the week, she had to be present to receive condolences from everyone who regarded her husband as a friend and family. People could see her bloodshot eyes despite her strong composure. She was trying hard to stay in control but they knew behind closed doors her tears wouldn't stop falling. On the day of the funeral, she was approached by the family lawyer about Cormac's Last Will and Testament.

Hermione arrived at the law firm and there was no doubt that she had received a few looks from the lobby. The mysterious Jean McLaggen was arriving in their firm. She was notorious in the business world and only a few had seen her face. When the lawyers in the firm caught wind about the Will reading they couldn't miss the opportunity to see her face and report to their clients about what she looked like but they were once again disappointed when she entered the building with sunglasses covering her swollen bloodshot eyes.

"Mrs. McLaggen, I am so glad you can make it. My condolences." The assistant spoke.

"Thank you." Hermione simply answered.

"After me please, your mother-in-law arrived a few moments ago." The assistant led Hermione to Franklin's office.

Once they reached the office Hermione embraced her grieving mother-in-law. "The mansion feels empty without him," Hermione admitted. "You can return to the mansion. Cormac wanted you to stay there."

"My dear, my heart aches when I see the halls of that home. I see him running and bumping into things. I hear his laughter and his cries as a little boy. I felt something wrong on the day you left for Cairo. I should have listened to my instincts. A mother's instinct is never wrong." Cormac's mother said in pure guilt.

Hermione comforted her, still lost for words. She had been less chatty since he died.

"I loved him with all my heart," Hermione said softly. It was the only words she could say out loud.

"I know. You gave him everything he wanted. You made him so happy. I thank you for that." Her mother-in-law pulled her into a tight embrace.

"I'm sorry for the delay." Mr. Franklin came in holding an envelope that contained Cormac's Will. Bennett Franklin was not only their family lawyer but he was a trusted family friend and the late Mr. McLaggen Sr.'s best friend.

He gave Cormac's mother and Hermione a hug before sitting down on the couch across where the two ladies were sitting.

"I have in my hand Cormac McLaggen's Last Will and Testament. Before his death, he had made changes in his will." Bennett waved his wand and the papers floated in the air and positioned his glasses on his crooked nose. He cleared his throat before he started to read the contents of the Will.

The Last Will and Testament

of

Cormac McLaggen

I, Cormac McLaggen, hereby revoke all wills and testamentary dispositions of every nature and kind whatsoever by me hereinbefore made.

Section 1.a

I, Cormac McLaggen, in the event of my demise, leave all titles, properties, and lands in my possession to my wife, Hermione Jean Granger McLaggen.

In the conclusion of the Will, all properties under Cormac's name were given to Hermione. The properties that his mother already had under the Will of his father remained under his mother's name. Hermione was given the family business, The McLaggen Group to fully control but she asked Bennett to give 25% to Cormac's mother. She was thankful for Cormac's generosity. She would be able to rise up and take back what she had.

"Hermione, I would like to help you." Her mother-in-law said as they were having afternoon tea.

"I appreciate the offer but I would like to do this alone. This is my fight and I promised Cormac." She assured the worrying woman.

"I understand. If you do need anything please write to me or floo."

"I will. Thank you for everything."

--

Cormac gave her weapons. She could fight. She could win. She is ready to fight. Her plans were slowly moving forward. Cormac was right. This was her fight and no one else's. The new year will mark the beginning of an ending. Everything was set. It was time for her to make a move. A small smirk formed on her ruby lips and began the game. She lost far enough to lose again.

I'll do my best, Cormac.

Narcissa Malfoy. You're the reason why this happened. When she apparated from the law firm she ended up a few meters from the Malfoy Manor gates. She felt the scar on her arm tingle as the memories of her torture came flowing back.

No more.

The fire in her study reflected on her eyes. Everything she sacrificed was for the moment to come. The warmth of the fire could no longer melt what was left of her frozen heart.

You made me like this, Draco. You made me cold. All your lies destroyed me.

"I will get her back." She picked up Alicia's photo from her desk and ran her fingertips on the photo.

"Let us see how it feels like to have something you love ripped right in front of you. I'll get her back and you'll finally feel what I felt." It was like the venom in her voice could kill anyone she spoke to.

There was no backing out.

Like a chess game with only a few moves before she could call checkmate. This was war.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

121K 2K 48
Hermione escaped from the Weasleys house because Ron got a girl pregnant and went into the muggle world for a fresh start, accidently being partners...
261K 3.5K 77
Harry Potter is dead. In the aftermath of the war, in order to strengthen the might of the magical world, Voldemort enacts a repopulation effort. Her...
21.9K 372 24
One night was all it took for Hermione's life to change. A pregnant Hermione becomes devastated after finding Ron cheating and runs to someone Unexpe...
20.1K 1.2K 53
After the Battle of Hogwarts, Hermione Granger was the Golden Girl who helped Harry Potter defeat Lord Voldemort. She was celebrated for her achievem...