Darkest Light

Od Bella1951

Mel's life is no good and doesn't seem to be going anywhere but down. Her boyfriend, Cal, is abusive and poss... Viac

Darkest Light
New Year Same Life
Blood and Tears
Interference
Essay Partners
Lost Possibilities
Secrets Exposed
Perfect Day
Giving Him All of Me
Numb
Christmas Gifts
Looking to the Future
Family Ties
Home Sweet Island
Will It Work

The Fangs Out Of The Bag

2.5K 43 16
Od Bella1951

"Edward," I exclaim in awe. I have never seen anything so inhumanly beautiful than Edward in that moment. He looks like the brightest of angels, come just for me. 

"Mel, you need to hang on," begs Edward, stepping out of the light and scooping me into his arms. 

"I'm not going anywhere," I say, surprised at how weak my voice sounds. The cold from Edward's skin seeps through my clothes as he holds me close to his chest. I look over at Alice and her eyes are pitch black. I can't even see her breathing. 

"Go Alice!" demands Edward. Alice stares for a moment longer and then her head tilts in a tight nod. I don't even see her move, but one second she is there and then she is gone. "Hold on Mel, you will be fine." He sounds breathless and his voice is almost a growl. 

I focus my energy on staying awake. I look up at him and notice that his jaw is clenched so tight that the veins in his neck are raised. Then I notice my surroundings. We are no longer in Cal's house. We are somewhere in the forest, surrounded by trees, but they are whipping past so fast they are merely a green blur. 

"What are you?" I whisper and notice how his eyes darken and flash. 

"It isn't important. Once Carlisle fixes you up, I will take you home and leave you alone." His voice is tortured with an ancient sadness. 

"Why? What did I do?" I ask confused. At that he drops his agonized gaze to my face. 

"What do you mean? You didn't do anything. I am leaving you alone because of what I am. It will be better for you...safer." He looks away again and I notice that he as slowed. Shock flickers through me as I realize we are already at his house. He lays me gently on a couch and then a man who can only be considered an angel is hovering over me as Edward describes what happened. He is talking so fast I can barely understand the basics. 

As soon as he is done, the Adonis like man that must be his father disappears, only to reappear seconds later holding a large black bag. He pulls out a pair of scissors and cuts off my shirt. Edward is standing behind Carlisle and as soon as the ripped remains of my shirt falls away, he turns his head. His hands are tight fists at his sides. After a minute and a couple shots the pain is gone. I manage to stay awake while Carlisle stitches up all of the cuts and then Alice appears with a new shirt. She helps me sit up and pull it on while Carlisle digs through his bag and pulls out 2 white pills. 

"Take these. They will help the pain and let you get some rest. You should come back and see me in two weeks," says Carlisle in a musical voice. 

"Thank you sir," I tell him and pop the pills in my mouth. 

"Please, call me Carlisle," he says and then turns to Edward. He doesn't say anything, but he just stares for a moment and then Edward apparently answers some unasked question. 

"I'm going to tell her the truth." He sounds resigned and before Carlisle slips away, he places a hand on Edwards shoulder and nods. Then we are alone. 

"I should get you home. I will explain everything to you there," he says and once again scoops me into his arms. 

"You will tell me what is going on?" I ask. 

"I will tell you everything." 

He runs back to Cal's house with me in his arms and then he drives my bike home with me on the back. Once there, he parks the bike in the garage and helps me to the door. 

"I will be waiting for you in your room," he says and then he is gone. 

Thoroughly confused, I walk inside and am greeted by Sylus's screaming cry. My grandma is sitting in her rocking chair with Sylus on her lap, rocking back and forth frantically. She has a bottle in one hand and his pacifier in the other. 

"Oh thank goodness you are home. He hasn't stopped crying for an hour," says my grandma and forcing myself not to cringe as my stitches are pulled tight, I pick up Sylus and cradle him against my shoulder. His crying dulls to a gasping whine as he rests his cheek on my shoulder. 

"Why don't you go out for a while? I'll take care of Sylus," I tell her and she hugs me in gratitude. 

"You are such a good girl. I don't mean to ruin your first weekend off, but Aggie has asked if I want to go to Seattle for a couple days. I will be back Sunday night. Will you be okay with Sylus?" she asks. 

"You go and have fun. We will be fine here. Do you need any help packing?" I ask. 

"Oh no, you just rest and put that grumpy brother of yours to bed. I will stay at Aggie's tonight so we can leave early tomorrow. I will call your school and tell them you won't be there tomorrow. I am sure you could use a day off anyway, unless you have something important," she says. 

"No, it will be okay. Fridays are usually pretty dull," I tell her. 

"Okay, I will just pack a few things and be on my way. You two be good and call me on my cell phone if you need anything. I love you," she says, kissing us both. 

"Love you too grandma," I say and grabbing Sylus's bottle and pacifier and head upstairs to my room. 

Edward is standing by my window when I walk in. I walk over and sit cross legged on my bed, placing Sy on my lap and giving him his bottle. He immediately starts sucking loudly, his eyes locked on Edward. 

"So what is going on Edward? What are you?" I ask. 

"Have you ever wondered if myths are true?" he asks. 

"I have never really thought about it," I shrug, confused. 

"Well they aren't all false. Some of them are very real," he says darkly. 

"What are you Edward?" I repeat calmly. 

"There have been many names for us around the world, but you would call me a vampire." 

"Your a vampire?" I ask. I am surprised by my lack of disbelief. It is very obvious that Edward is something other than human and though I have never considered the fact that he is in fact inhuman before, I find it surprisingly easy to believe. 

"Yes, as are the members of my family." 

"You don't want to...bite me, do you?" I ask, just a bit nervous. 

"Of course not, I never bite humans, none of us do. We live off the blood of animals," explains Edward. 

"Why? Why deny what you are?" I ask, realizing too late that my question could be considered rude. 

"We don't want to hurt people Mel. Just because I am a vampire, doesn't mean I have to be a monster," he says with passion. 

"Of course you aren't a monster Edward. You saved my life, you are a hero. Cal is completely human and he is the definition of the word monster," I remind him and for the first time I see a spark of hope in his face. 

"You aren't scared?" he asks with disbelief. 

"Why would I be scared? Just because you are different? Don't be ridiculous," I say shaking my head. He walks quickly over and sits on the bed in front of me. 

"You are telling the truth." It isn't a question, but he seems unable to believe me. 

"Why would I lie? I do have a question though," I tell him. 

"Ask me anything," he says. 

"How did you know where I was today?" I ask and watch his eyes darken a shade. 

"Alice knew what was going to happen. She has a...gift. She sees things, before they happen. She saw what Cal was going to do to you and I knew I had to stop him. I was almost too late, I should have been there quicker. I am so sorry," he says. 

"You saved my life, you have nothing to apologize for. Can you see the future too?" I ask. 

"No, I have other gifts. I can hear the thoughts of the people around me," he says quietly. 

'Can you hear my thoughts?' I ask in my mind and he smiles. 

"Yes, but your thoughts are different from everyone else's," he answers. 

"How so?" I ask. 

"I hear your thoughts in music and I can even see the music in your mind. It is quite amazing. I have never heard anything like it," he explains. 

"And you can understand it? You know what I am thinking?" I ask, intrigued. 

"I can read your thoughts as clearly as my own," he says. 

"What about Sy's thoughts. Can you read his mind?" I ask. 

"His mind is mostly pictures and feelings. He loves you very much," he tells me and I can feel my chest tighten. Sy is sitting up in my lap, watching Edward. 

"Thank you Edward, for saving me," I tell him, watching Sy. 

"I will always be here for you Mel. All you have to do is ask," he says. 

"I'm scared Edward. Cal won't give up that easy. He will be back and he might try to hurt Sylus or my grandma," I confess. I feel his cold hand cup my cheek. 

"He will never hurt you again. I won't ever let him near you again," he promises. 

"You can't protect me 24/7 Edward," I remind him. 

"Yes, I can," he assures me. 

"What about at night? You have to go home and I will be alone," I say quietly. 

"I won't leave you Mel. I will stay downstairs all night every night if I have to. That is the thing about vampires, we don't have to sleep," he says. 

"You don't have to stay downstairs. If you want...you can stay up here, with us," I say and I can feel my blush to the ends of my toes. 

"Stay here with you?" he asks disbelieving. 

"You don't have to, it was just a suggestion," I say, thoroughly embarrassed. 

"I would like nothing more," he says and then leans forward and touches his lips to mine. The kiss is soft and full of emotions and feelings that I am only beginning to understand. His hand slips through my hair at the base of my neck. I feel Sylus writhing between us and we break apart. I am breathing hard and so is he. Sylus reaches out is hands to Edward who carefully picks him up. 

"I have to get him ready for bed," I say and Edward smiles. 

"I'll help," he offers and carries Sylus into the bathroom. I quickly grab his jammies and meet them in there. This time, I don't obsess over the life I can never have, because now, with Cal gone and Edward here, I can actually envision this life. We easily get Sylus ready for bed and then, once again, Edward sings him to sleep. 

We head back to my room where I strip out of my clothes, extremely aware of Edward right behind me. I know how ugly my bruises and scars are and now I have three more long cuts disfiguring my skin. I don't hear him approach, but suddenly he is right behind me and his arms slip gently around my waist. 

"You are beautiful," he says with such obvious sincerity that I can't help but believe him. 

I turn and plant a kiss on his jaw and then finish getting ready for bed. When I slide between the sheets, Edward stands there, looking uncertain. Smiling, I pat the bed beside me. 

"Are you sure?" he asks quietly. 

"Come to bed Edward, please," I plead and without further inquiries, he lays down next to me. I lay my head on his hard chest and slip an arm over his stomach. With a contented sigh, he wraps his arms around me and kisses the top of my head. I can feel the drugs Carlisle gave me pulling me towards oblivion. I let the fog of sleep swallow me, content in the knowledge that I am safe in my vampire's arms.

Pokračovať v čítaní

You'll Also Like

100K 2.3K 17
IMPORTANT NOTE: This is the original version of Emily Swan's story. The Rewritten version is Our Forever containing Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, Brea...
48.4K 1.3K 13
IMPORTANT NOTE: This is the original version of Emily Swan's story. The Rewritten version is Our Forever containing Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, Brea...
467K 16.4K 57
B O O K T W O ; Christina Swan had only managed to survive the first year of supernatural, but things were starting to heat up. She didn't want to f...
90.2K 2K 26
Brinley Holt just moves to Forks, Washington to help her parents out since they decided to move up here. Mom works in Port Angeles, and dad works at...