Dark Secrets

By Skylinger

When tragedy strikes Tori and Lucas are reunited once again. It isn't long and Tori quickly finds herself sur... More

Such a Shame
She was lost
Burning Complications
Always read a document
Something's missing
He fought for you
This is unexpected
Weak with Grief
Friendly Sparring
This belongs to you
Suspects emerge
Maylene's Story
Choosing Enforcers
Happy to Red
A Family Secret is Revealed 16
Viktor's Arrival Part 17
I knew Part 18
Yakov's Mistake Part 19
How to Choose Part 20
Time to Speak Part 21
How Far Does This Go? Part 22
Hesitantly Wondering Part 23
Enforcers Selected Part 24
A New Twist Part 25

Do Your Research

2.8K 206 24
By Skylinger

Chapter 14

(Do Your Research)

It was just after 7am as Ken made his way across the sunny courtyard hoping to surprise Tori before she found out he was there. Excitement coursed through his veins. Ken adored Tori and always had. He was excited at the prospect of getting to see Tori a lot more often. Now that she was engaged to Lucas he would see her a minimum of once a month. The enforcer relished the idea. Ken loved being an enforcer and enjoyed belonging to Pierre. The only things he didn’t like was that he rarely saw Tori anymore but that was about to change. He was almost to the entrance of the castle that was closest to his sister’s door when the door opened and Ken came face to face with Ranger.

“What are you doing here?!” Ken demanded suddenly upset; all thoughts of a perfect day gone.

“He’s a potential for Lady Tori, just like me,” Archer said.

“Oh, hell no!” Ken said angrily. Angry eyes looked at Ranger. “You stay the hell away from my sister!”

“Your dad brought him in,” Archer informed him. Ken turned angry eyes on him and then practically pushed them out of his way and entered the castle.

“That could have gone better,” Ranger said with sigh.

“He’ll have to get over it,” Archer said matter of fact. Ranger looked at him less than appreciative of his friends comment. “Sorry. I know it’s a sticky situation,” He said sounding more understanding. “The fact is you are a good enforcer and whether Ken likes it or not this isn’t his decision.”

“Maybe not but he could still cause problems,” Ranger reminded him. “This could be a mess!” He said and rubbed a hand over the top of his head. “Ken and Tori are close this could turn real ugly real fast and not just for me.”

“I hear you but there’s nothing we can do about it,” Archer replied. “I don’t think Warner is expecting Ken to be here right now.”

“I don’t think so either.”

“Let’s give him a heads up,” Archer suggested. Ranger nodded and the two men headed off to find Warner. Damage control was probably going to be needed.

Ken walked quickly through the hallway and entering another one he made a b-line for his sister’s room. Forcing himself to be calm he made his way to her room and knocked on the door.

“Come in!” He heard a voice call happily. A smile immediately crossed his face. He loved how cheerful his sister was. Opening the door he stepped inside and waited.

“Sorry I was…Ken!” Tori exclaimed. She dropped her running shoes and practically sprinted into his arms. “Oh my gosh! I had no idea you were coming!”

“That was the point,” Ken said pleased to be with her.

“It’s so good to see you,” Tori told him as she pulled back to look at him without releasing him.

“It’s good to see you too,” he replied. “Since you’re marrying Lucas I’ll get to see you a lot more often now,” he said openly pleased.

“Really?” she said full of hope. Ken nodded and she hugged him again before releasing him. “I need to get my run in. You know I get cranky if I don’t get some exercise.”

Ken laughed. “Yes you do,” he agreed. “Nah, I’ll let you go. Tomorrow?”

“Absolutely!” she said and walked over to pick up the shoes she had dropped. Picking them up she went to the nearest chair and sat down to put them on. “Are you okay?” she asked sensing something wasn’t quite right with her brother.

“Yeah, run in I could’ve done without,” he replied.

“Everything okay?” She asked.

“I heard dad brought in some enforcers for you,” Ken stated redirecting the conversation.

“Oh yeah. He even tested me!” Tori partially complained. “I of course passed,” she said pleased.

Ken nodded. “What do you know about them?” Ken asked casually. He wanted to find out what she knew about choosing an enforcer and what he should tell her.

“Not a lot,” Tori admitted. “I think they may know court protocol better than I do,” she admitted. “We had narrowed it down to three but then Landon decided I should have more time to choose. He didn’t want any rash decisions.”

“Good,” Ken said openly agreeing with the king’s decision. “You should learn as much as you can about them. You have the right to know anything you want about them.”

“Right?” Tori said.

“They will be responsible for your protection Tori.” He smiled seeing the blonde girl roll her eyes. “I know you will rarely need anyone but still.” Ken thought for a moment walking over by a window. As an idea came to him he added, “You can know anything from how they did in enforcer training to how they did in school. You can even know who their parents are and you should.” Ken turned and looked at his sister. “Leave no stone unturned when it comes to researching your potentials. You might be surprised what you learn.”

Tori watched her brother and listened to not only what he said but how he said it. A sense of concern began to form. She looked into his eyes and knew something was going on. “There’s something I don’t know.” Ken didn’t reply. “Something you can’t tell me but think I should know.”

“Do your homework Tori,” he replied.

“Who’s orders?” The blonde woman asked. Ken remained silent. “You either can’t tell me or more than one person has told you to keep your mouth shut and not tell me.” Ken didn’t need to answer she had learned a lot more about pack protocol since the first time she’d come to Moon Shadow. “Thanks.”

Ken gave her a nod. “Enjoy your run. I’ll see you later.” Ken headed for the door.

“How do I find out?” Tori asked. Ken stopped and turned to look at her once more. “Is there a way for me to access their information?”

“Lucas can help you.” Ken told her. Tori nodded and he added “This conversation…”

“Never happened,” she finished for him. “I won’t let on I know something is up. Not until I know what anyway.” Ken nodded and left the room.

Tori finished tying her left shoe and picking up her MP3 player she headed out for her run with everything her brother had told her running through her head.

She walked out of the castle and within a couple of minutes she was running through the forest on one of the trails that would lead down and around the lake.

Thoughts of her brother’s words ran through her head as she ran. She knew her father loved her and would never put her in danger. Her father had brought all of the enforcers to her. Barbra had been a test but she’d easily passed. What could be in one of their files that would cause her brother to feel the need to bend protocol? She knew none of them would have criminal activity in their past.

As she ran she began to break down the differences she already knew about them. The first difference that came to mind was Anna was the only female. Was there something about Anna she needed to know? Had there been something between Anna and Ken at some point that had gone sour? She thought for a moment and then remembered that Ken had never mentioned an Anna. He always told her if he went out with someone. If it wasn’t Anna though then who was it?

Tori ran over a bridge and as she reached the other side Ken’s comment about parents came to her. He’d said not only did she have the right but she should know who their parents were. The image of her brother as he said it popped into her head. He had practically told her to find out about their parents. She wasn’t sure why parents might be important and then she remembered her run in with Salazar’s men. Could one of them be connected to him?

Slowing her pace she began to walk. The idea quickly left her as she knew her father would never have brought one of them around her. He was protective of her and would never take such a chance. “I need to see Lucas,” she decided and began running back toward the castle. The woman knew she needed to be careful but that she needed to find out about her potentials parents and why her brother would have been ordered to keep his mouth shut. Something wasn’t right.

                                                                ***********

Ken was anything but pleased as he entered the training facility to see his father was cleaning up from doing a training session. “Why the hell did you bring him here?!” Ken demanded.

Warner turned around to face his angry son. “He’s good Ken. He can protect her very well.”

“He shouldn’t be anywhere near her!” Ken snapped. “Send him away!”

“Ken…”

“No! Has it occurred to you how Tori might react if she finds out about him?!” Warner’s son said. “It’s not going to end well. You could lose her as well!”

Warner felt the sting of his son’s words. His relationship with Ken wasn’t what it once was. “By the time she finds out I am hopeful that they’ll be close. Tori is reasonable.”

“Reasonable? Yeah she is but given everything she’s been through you really think it’s a good idea to drop this on her?!” He said angrily. “She has the right to know.”

“Keep your mouth shut Kenneth,” Warner warned as a near growl escaped him.

“Tori isn’t stupid she’s going to find out,” Ken said. Seeing his father’s eyes take on a look of anger he said, “I don’t need to tell her anything. All she has to do is look at their records and she will know,” Ken sneered before turning around and walking away.

“I take it we’re too late to warn you,” Archer said from where he stood just inside another door with Ranger. Warner’s attention went to the two men.

“We were hoping to find you first and warn you,” Ranger told him. The two men watched as a frown crossed Warner’s face. “Do you want me to leave?”

“No,” Warner told him. “Ken may be angry but he’ll keep his mouth shut,” Warner said with a sigh. “Just get in good with her. It’ll help when it all comes out.” Ranger simply nodded.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

134 7 13
Betrayed and sold by the ones she trusted the most, Selena struggles with many regrets till the bitter horrible end. Given a chance by the moon godde...
13.9K 488 22
A wolf-girl who was abandoned by her real mother when she was only a young pup, has to learn how to live on her own the first two years of her life...
178 40 24
tori is now a vampire after saving Charlie and getting stabbed in the process, in her months of changing being technically pronounced dead she has be...
1.4K 149 39
After her sister goes missing, Raven does everything in her power to find her. A year went by with no solution in sight. But once she learns about a...