Do Your Research

Chapter 14

(Do Your Research)

It was just after 7am as Ken made his way across the sunny courtyard hoping to surprise Tori before she found out he was there. Excitement coursed through his veins. Ken adored Tori and always had. He was excited at the prospect of getting to see Tori a lot more often. Now that she was engaged to Lucas he would see her a minimum of once a month. The enforcer relished the idea. Ken loved being an enforcer and enjoyed belonging to Pierre. The only things he didn’t like was that he rarely saw Tori anymore but that was about to change. He was almost to the entrance of the castle that was closest to his sister’s door when the door opened and Ken came face to face with Ranger.

“What are you doing here?!” Ken demanded suddenly upset; all thoughts of a perfect day gone.

“He’s a potential for Lady Tori, just like me,” Archer said.

“Oh, hell no!” Ken said angrily. Angry eyes looked at Ranger. “You stay the hell away from my sister!”

“Your dad brought him in,” Archer informed him. Ken turned angry eyes on him and then practically pushed them out of his way and entered the castle.

“That could have gone better,” Ranger said with sigh.

“He’ll have to get over it,” Archer said matter of fact. Ranger looked at him less than appreciative of his friends comment. “Sorry. I know it’s a sticky situation,” He said sounding more understanding. “The fact is you are a good enforcer and whether Ken likes it or not this isn’t his decision.”

“Maybe not but he could still cause problems,” Ranger reminded him. “This could be a mess!” He said and rubbed a hand over the top of his head. “Ken and Tori are close this could turn real ugly real fast and not just for me.”

“I hear you but there’s nothing we can do about it,” Archer replied. “I don’t think Warner is expecting Ken to be here right now.”

“I don’t think so either.”

“Let’s give him a heads up,” Archer suggested. Ranger nodded and the two men headed off to find Warner. Damage control was probably going to be needed.

Ken walked quickly through the hallway and entering another one he made a b-line for his sister’s room. Forcing himself to be calm he made his way to her room and knocked on the door.

“Come in!” He heard a voice call happily. A smile immediately crossed his face. He loved how cheerful his sister was. Opening the door he stepped inside and waited.

“Sorry I was…Ken!” Tori exclaimed. She dropped her running shoes and practically sprinted into his arms. “Oh my gosh! I had no idea you were coming!”

“That was the point,” Ken said pleased to be with her.

“It’s so good to see you,” Tori told him as she pulled back to look at him without releasing him.

“It’s good to see you too,” he replied. “Since you’re marrying Lucas I’ll get to see you a lot more often now,” he said openly pleased.

“Really?” she said full of hope. Ken nodded and she hugged him again before releasing him. “I need to get my run in. You know I get cranky if I don’t get some exercise.”

Ken laughed. “Yes you do,” he agreed. “Nah, I’ll let you go. Tomorrow?”

“Absolutely!” she said and walked over to pick up the shoes she had dropped. Picking them up she went to the nearest chair and sat down to put them on. “Are you okay?” she asked sensing something wasn’t quite right with her brother.