Burning Complications

Chapter 3

(Burning Complications)

Warner drove Karen’s white Chevy Suburban as they headed for the accident site. While Tori had volunteered to drive, everyone had protested against it. The blonde girl might have snapped out of her shocked state but she had no business driving to a potential crime scene involving her late husband.

“What the hell?” Justin said upon seeing billowing smoke.

Police cars were everywhere and traffic was at a halt. As the car moved a few more feet they quickly realized everyone was being turned around and the road had been closed. In the distance the vehicle occupants could see flames.

“The scene is being destroyed.” Tori said knowingly.

“Yeah and until the fire is put out we can’t get to the scene.” Warner agreed.

“White Wolf.” Tori said suddenly.

“You want to go to work?” Trevor questioned.

“No, but I think after being here we can all agree it’s odd River was out here.” Tori replied. “Maybe we can find a clue as to why at the office.”

“She’s right.” Ryker agreed. “You sure you want to go?” The dark haired body guard asked looking at the new widow. It wasn’t that he wanted to discourage her from finding the truth, it was just he knew she hadn’t been there since River’s death. The high prince’s enforcer was well aware there would be memories at the company she had helped rise with late husband.

“It might not be easy but…I have to.” The blonde woman glanced at Lucas. The blonde man gave her an encouraging nod of agreement.

“Alright.” Warner turned the vehicle around when the directing officer instructed him to and the group headed for White Wolf, with any luck they’d find some clues. Unlike a public roadway White Wolf belonged to the Marks.

They drove for a little while and then arrived at White Wolf to an unexpected scene. There was new asphalt on the parking lot.

“Did you…”

“No and we know you didn’t.” Warner said pulling out his cell phone.

Tori abruptly got out of the car and walked further into the property. “Casey!” she called seeing him.

The short curly blonde man turned to face her direction. “Tori!” he said, openly surprised to see her.

“Who ordered this?” Tori said not hiding her concern.

“Is it the wrong color?” He asked and swallowed uncomfortably.

“I didn’t order this.” Tori replied gesturing to the newly paved parking lot.

“What? Donna got an order from you for it.”

“No Casey. Is everything paved over?” She asked clearly unhappy.

“No they were just about to go over the side.”

Tori’s eyes widened. “We have to stop them!” The blonde woman instantly took off to stop the workers before they destroyed the scene where River’s car would normally be parked. Casey didn’t question it and ran along side of the newly widowed woman.

“Stop!” Tori yelled and ran out in front of the construction vehicles.

Instantly all the vehicles came to a halt. Each driver looking at the other confused. It was a mere second or two and the foreman came forward. “Is there a problem?”