How Far Does This Go? Part 22

Miguel felt very pleased as he left the Council chambers with Izyan and Bakari. Tori had proven beyond a doubt they had made the right choice at accepting her as a bride for Lucas. "That went very well and we finally know what happened," he said as they stepped outside of the building and began walking along the outside of the courtyard under the covered walkway.

"Yes, though we can't prove any of it," Bakari agreed. "Logan will never rule. Though I am still concerned."

"Concerned why?" Miguel asked. "Do you doubt our future queen?"

"Not at all," Bakari assured the two men. "My concern is of Tori going looking for River's killer."

"She no longer has any right to seek out his killer," Izyan reminded him. "Only the Marks family may investigate the matter."

"While that may be true she was not pleased with our announcement," Bakari said knowingly.

"This is true. While we have told her to leave it to the Marks family it does not guarantee she will," Miguel agreed understanding Bakari's concern. "Our future queen has a sense of justice within her that might lead her to go looking."

"She cannot be apart from Lucas at all during their first year of marriage," Izyan said reminding them of the stipulations in the agreement. "The Marks' boy is no longer in the way and the kingdom shall be secure when they are wed very soon," he added glancing over at Tori and Lucas from where they stood together in the small courtyard. Watching the couple from where they stood there was no doubt in their minds that Tori and Lucas were truly in love with each other. "River should never have had her. They lied allowing him to marry, and they will pay for it."

"Indeed they will," Miguel agreed. "We should send them somewhere after the sentencing. Tori should not witness anything. She was close to the Marks family and will not want to see them suffer."

"They haven't been found guilty yet," Bakari reminded them.

"Do you honestly think they won't all be found guilty?" Izyan asked him. "River was guilty and has been punished for it. His family will suffer next."

"River was murdered not just punished," Miguel reminded him.

Izyan shrugged unconcerned. "It matters not. In the end we are getting what we want. Whomever killed River did it in the best interest of the kingdom. Some might even consider the actions of those responsible to have done a great service to the kingdom. After all if River were still alive we wouldn't be here."

"Perhaps we would," Bakari suggested. "At least in another six months. Two years and no offspring would have raised a lot of questions."

"River's body is still missing," Miguel informed them not hiding his concern.

"What does it matter?" Izyan questioned.

"It shows that there are several individuals involved for one," Bakari replied. "There are several actions to hide evidence of River's murder. Whomever is responsible had to at least have help from someone higher up." Izyan simply shrugged.

"Izyan, if Tori goes looking and finds out who is responsible her life will be in danger!" Miguel warned. "We need her alive not dead because she found something she shouldn't have!"

"You are both worrying for nothing," Izyan told them. Before either of them could speak he added, "Do you honestly think those responsible did not consider the possibility Tori might learn the truth?" Sensing neither of the two men become more relaxed he said, "Those responsible are not about to kill the future queen. Even if the girl does learn the truth she will not be harmed."