DragonInk (Eragon Writing Com...

By _DragonHeart2407_

A Hands on Eragon writing competition :) we are not the originally creators of the "ink" competitions, that i... More

DragonInk (Writing Competition)
Human 1- Dagny (impossible_colours) {ELIMINATED}
Human 2- Tazarlhuin "Taz" (HannahSaphira){ELIMINATED}
Human 3- Eran (Pennator){ELIMINATED}
Human 4- Verity (LydiaSparrow) {ELIMINATED}
Human 5- Arnuïl "Arn" (thatrandomdutchguy){ELIMINATED}
Human 6- Marcel (DragonRider4){ELIMINATED}
Human 7- Belle Liressdaughter (Nikkisha16)
Human 8- Andraya "Ray" (AbigailC13) {ELIMINATED}
Elf 1- Amamaiwen (UnicornPrincess15){ELIMINATED}
Elf 2- Lanalynn "Lana" Morningstar (bookworm12600){ELIMINATED}
Elf 3- Roslyn (RiderFirnen)
Elf 4- Lothiriel "Thiri" (32onedoesnotsimply){ELIMINATED}
Elf 5- Adurnaë (Lauren19997){ELIMINATED}
Elf 6- Reona (LydiaGiVi){ELIMINATED}
Elf 7- Nemeen (PrincessElf){ELIMINATED}
Elf 8- Ryan (VentusRex){ELIMINATED}
Round One: Welcoming Your New Soul Mate
Round One: Entries
Round One: Voting
Round One: Results
Round Two: Disturbances Afar
IMPORTANT UPDATE!!!
Round Two: Entries
Round Two: Ratings and Voting
Round Two: Elimination
Round Three: Missing Heart of Hearts
Round Three: Ratings and Voting
Round Three: Elimination
Round Four: To Anger an Elf
Round Four: Entries
Round Four: Ratings and Voting
Round Five: Finding Oneself
Round Five: Entries
Round Five: Ratings and Voting
Round Five: Elimanation
Round Six: Rescue Mission
Round Six: Entries
Round Six: Ratings and Voting
Round Six: Elimination
Final Round Details
Final Round: Blood Is Shed
Final Round: Voting
Final Round: Results and Important Announcements!

Rond Three: Entries

147 2 0
By _DragonHeart2407_

*Eran

The night sly was clear. The stars were shining like diamonds and the moon was completely full. It was extremely silent. Most of the elves were asleep and me, well, I was bored out of my brains. That night I was on guard duty, for half the night! Sure the other's had to do the same thing but it wasn't like I could do anything about it.

I was in one of the elven halls, which was made out of mostly wood. I was at a door guarding Eldanuri, or that's what I thought they were called. They were supposably the dragon's heart of hearts. When Aloth explained them to me I was at a complete loss and hardly listened during the lesson.

I sat down on the floor and drew my Draumr, my sword. I placed a little bit of energy into the diamond in the pommel then sat back against the wooden wall. It was oak, I think.

For the past few weeks really nothing had happened, since that poison breathing Fanghur anyway. I had asked the elves about it but they were just confused at it as me. I was thinking something along the lines of the Fanhur had been living on Vroengard, and was affected by the poisonous air there.

The training had gotten more intense, and I was actually training with other riders. In sword training I was mostly pitted against an elf named Lana. She was amazing with a sword, to say the least. I hadn't beaten her yet, but I was determined to. There was also Adurnea, who I was often in dragon classes with, like flying manoeuvres and the like.

I sighed, then remembered something. Lana was the next on duty. There was something about her that was... different from the rest. What it was I couldn't tell yet, but I like it.

'Hey, Farran, you still awake,' I said with my mind, trying to link to Farran.

There was no reply. He was definitely fast asleep. I took a couple of swings with my sword, imagining there was an invisible enemy there. I blocked an imaginary sword stroke then quickly stabbed under the guard.

"Nice job," said a voice from behind me.

I spun around to see a person standing there, shrouded in a dark cloak.

"Who are you?" I said with a frown.

"Who I am isn't important. What's in that room is," said the figure.

It was definitely feminine, and from the posture I think it was an elf. I narrowed my eyes.

"What do you want?" I snarled at her.

"You, out of my way," she replied.

"Oh yeah, bring it on," I said.

Suddenly a gigantic, mental, pressure hit my mind shield. I gasped in surprise, and the shield didn't last that long. The elf invaded my mind. I cried out in pain, then felt the blackness hit me hard in the face.

I woke up suddenly, groaning. There were about twenty voices in the room, all talking quickly. They all went quite. I looked up to see Ayra, Aloth, Lana, and a few others.

"He's awake!" someone said.

'Well da,' I thought in m head, 'But what happened?'

'I'll tell you what happened,' said the booming mental voice of Farran, 'You were attacked by an elf. She broke your mind and knocked you unconscious before running off with one of the Eldanuri.'

'What!' I said with surprise, jumping up.

"Hey, take it easy," said someone else.

I looked over to the voice, realising it was Aloth. He walked over to me and put his hand on my head, muttering something in the ancient language.

"There you go," he said, "Feel any better."

I was about to say no, but my mind was beginning to fell less foggy and I started to think straight again.

I nodded, "Yes, thankyou."

Aloth nodded, "Good. Now that that is over, why don't you tell us what exactly happened last night."

I thought back, which required a little bit of effort. I then told them about the elven girl with the hood. How she knocked me out with her mind and she wanted the Eldanuri. By the end everyone was silent. Arya mumbled something to Aloth and he nodded back.

"In the room the elf left a note," he said, "That or it dropped out of her pocket."

He reached into a pocket of his trousers and pulled out a scrunched up piece of paper. He carefully unrolled it and held it out to me. I took it and looked at the words.

'Your orders a thus...

You are to travel to Ellesmera and steel one of the Eldanuri. This shouldn't be very difficult for an elf of your skill. You are then to travel through the forest and get to Ceunon. Make sure nobody follows you. I will be waiting at their inn. If you succeed in bringing the Eldanuri to me functioning and well, you will be richly rewarded. I don't need to tell you what will happen if you fail.'

I frowned as I looked at the massage.

'It definitely dropped out of her pocket,' said Farran.

'Shut up,' I replied thinking.

I looked at the others, "I'm assuming you want to send me to Ceunon?"

"Your assumption is right," this time it was Arya, "And you should take someone with you. We think this will be much more dangerous then fighting off a Fanghur."

"I'll go," said Lana instantly, "That is, if Eran doesn't mind."

I was slightly surprised she volunteered, "Yeah sure, it would be good to have and elf's help."

I smiled slightly at her and she smiled back.

"Okay then," said the queen, "You will need to leave as soon as possible if you're going to catch up with the thief."

I nodded and got out of the bed, "Well, I'll grab my spears and then we should be ready to go."

"I'll grab my bow," said Lana, "Meet me at my house."

I nodded, before walking out of the room, leaving Ayra and Aloth to talk with themselves. Lana took a different root. When I walked back into the open I took a sight of relief. The open air always seemed to refresh me, especially when I was inside for a long time.

Farran was already waiting for me. I climbed onto his back. He opened his wings and with a huge flap was off into the sky. A few of the flower plants below were torn from the ground by the gale.

'Wow, you really need to work on how strong you flap your wings,' I said, grimacing at the scene below.

'I am, that's why it was so strong. I'm thinking if I flap hard enough above another dragon and rider I might be able to knock him, or her, from the saddle, or knock soldiers off walls,' he replied.

'I like the idea,' I stated, 'But do you really need to take out the whole forest.'

'Just practicing,' said Farran innocently.

I shook my head. He could be so difficult sometimes. We flew over to Aloth's hut. We didn't live in a dragon rider house like the rest of the people. I preferred to sleep on the ground under Farran's wing. It wasn't as comfortable, but I felt more content with it like that.

I ran into Aloth's house and grabbed my six elven spears. After I had used them against the Fanghur a few of them had snapped so I had to get knew ones. They were still just as perfectly made, which I was glad for.

I put them into a quiver and grabbed my old fishing spear as well. Since the Fanghur, whenever I had gotten bored I had sat down and started to weave enchantments into the spear. Not it was basically indestructible, but it was still just an ordinary fishing spear.

I put the fishing spear into my belt, and ran back outside to Farran.

'Finally ready,' he asked with a dragon's grin.

I smiled back at him, 'Yes, not let's get going to Lana's.'

I jumped onto his back and we took off . This time Farran knocked a poor squirrel off a tree. It landed on the ground and scampered off.

'Okay, you can practice that when we don't need to do something important,' I said to him.

'Your no fun,' replied the dragon sulking slightly.

'No, I'm just reasonable,' I replied smugly.

The dragon snarled and I laughed. It wasn't often I one a verbal battle with Farran.

We were over Ellesmera now and nearly at Lana's. Farran flew down and landed in front to see her tightening the saddle on her dragon, Solista. She looked up to me and smiled.

"Look who finally arrived," she said, "Ready to go?"

I nodded, "Yep, let's go get that elf."

She nodded and leapt gracefully onto her dragon. Solista opened her wings and with a huge flap was in the air. Farran followed her into the air. They circled around Ellesmera for a few minutes, gaining altitude, before flying off to Ceunon.

We flew for almost for five hours before we spotted Ceunon in the distance. I had my eye glued to the diamond in the hilt of my sword, scanning the ground below with its magnified vision. The only thing I could see were rabbits and the occasional dear, along with hundreds of trees and bushes.

Lana had cast a spell that allowed her to see through Solista's eyes. We had agreed to search the ground with our minds, just in case we did come across the elf and she noticed us.

I was beginning to get afraid that she had given us the slip, when I felt someone gently knocking on my mind wall. I hesitantly let them in, to find out it was Solista.

'Hey, ' she said, 'I just want to tell you that we have spotted someone running through the forest. It had a dark cloak on, so I think it's the elf. She's just over there.'

She showed me a picture of where she was. I directed my crystal towards her, and smiled. That was definitely her.

'Yep, that's her,' I said, 'So, do you want to get her now or wait for Ceunon.'

I waited a bit for Solista to relay the information to Lana.

'Wait for Ceunon,' was the expected reply, 'Then we may be able to find out who is really behind this, but keep hidden until then.'

'Got it,' I replied.

I noticed that she was carrying something and angled my diamond towards it. There was a huge red gem, a bit bigger then a dragon's egg. It was perfectly round with no blemishes what so ever.

'Wow, that's what an Eldanuri looks like,' I said with surprise.

'Yes,' said Farran as if it was obvious, 'How long did it take you to find out?'

'Shut up,' was my reply.

We continued to fly, now slowing down a whole heap, trying to keep behind the elf. From what I could tell from up here, she was exhausted, painting and heaving and there was sweat shining on her forehead. I wasn't surprised; she had been running all night, without sleep. Even an elf would be tired after that.

It took us another hour before we finally got to Ceunon. The dragons landed silently in a small clearing in the forest. We hopped of them and made our way to the front of the forest, watching the elf we were hunting make her way to the gate.

Lana had tired a long sleave around one of her arms.

"What's that for?" I asked.

"To hide the Gedwey Ignasia," she replied, "I suggest you put some gloves on to hide yours as well."

I nodded, then realised something, "Umm... do you have an extra pair. I didn't bring any."

She gave me a look. I smiled sheepishly at her.

"Didn't think we would need them," I said.

She sighed and walked back up to Solista, taking a pair out of a pack on her side. She chucked them to me. They were a deep forest green, and were extremely soft. I quickly put them on. On my hands they looked more like boxing gloves.

"Why are they so big?" I asked surprised.

"I usually use them when I'm flying high," she replied, "Keeps my hands from freezing."

"Oh," I said.

She cast a spell and the colour of her eyes changed from purple to green. She took a deep blue cloak from her pack and swung it over her shoulders, hiding her elfish features and her weapons.

"I take it you don't have a cloak either," she said.

I shook my head. She pulled out another cloak, this one green as well, and threw it towards me. I caught it and swung it around my shoulders. I was surprisingly comfortable, and my sword and spears all were nicely hidden.

"You ready to go?" she said.

I nodded and together we made our way out of the forest. The elven girl was at the gates and seemed to be chatting with the guards. I pulled the hood a little bit more over my face, just in case she turned back and recognised me. I noticed that I couldn't see the Eldanuri any more, until I noticed a bulge coming from her stomach. It almost looked like she was pregnant.

"She's smarter then I thought," I whispered to Lana.

She just nodded in answer.

The guards let the elf through, they probably felt worried for her. She nodded her thanks and began to go through the gates. She looked back and I almost froze in place, but Lana gripped my arm and kept me going. The elf frowned at us, then turned around and began to make her way into the city.

We made our way to the guards, and they put their spears in front of us.

"Halt!" one of them said.

We stopped.

"Names," said the guard.

I was about to answer when Lana cut me off.

"I'm Anna and this is my brother Steven," she replied to the guard, "We have been travelling through the woods and spotted Ceunon, and decided we would drop by."

"And why were you in the forest?" said the guard.

Lana hesitated for a second and I decided to speak.

"We were hunting. The forest is full off fat game. It is a great place," I said, "We weren't successful though."

The guard nodded, "Just be careful you don't let the elves catch you. They can be very protective of their forest."

"A bit to protective if you ask me," I said with a grin.

I heard Lana gasp slightly.

The guard returned the smile, "Yes, that they are. You may pass, just don't cause any trouble."

We walked past the guards and into the city. As soon as we were passed them Lana elbowed me in the ribs.

"Hey," I said protesting, "What was that for?"

"We aren't over protective," she said, "Just... concerned."

"Hey, it worked didn't it," I said, "And I had to get you back for calling Steven."

She glared at me, "I chose the first name that came to mind."

"And it was Steven," I said.

"Yes!"

I just sighed and looked around. This place was huge, well not as big as Teirm, but still very big. There were people rushing around like they were after chickens, and shot vendors calling out there prices to anyone who would listen. I began to move over to a shop that smelled like beef. I loved beef, and hadn't had enough meat since I entered Ellesmera.

Lana pulled me back on track and told me to concentrate. I looked mournfully at the food stalls, before focusing back on the task. The elf was pushing her way through the crowd, and it seemed like she was heading towards an inn that was near the end of the main rode.

She walked up to the door and looked around, before entering. Lana hurried after her. It took me a few seconds before I realised what was happening and started to run after the elf. We arrived at the door and Lana took a few deep breaths, calming herself down. I did the same.

She opened the door and we entered the smouldering heat of the inn. I almost coughed as we entered. I forgot how stuffy a place like this could be. I glanced upward to see the elf jogging up the stairs to the rooms above.

I tapped Lana's arm and pointed upstairs. She nodded and began to push through the crowd of people towards the stairs. That was when my wards saved my life. I suddenly felt a huge drain of magic as something hit my wards. I gasped and yelled out in surprise. A throwing dagger dropped to the ground. It had been directed straight at my face.

Lana reacted quickly.

"Brisingr!" she shouted, pointing in the direction of the user.

The stairs exploded in a swirl of fire. Everyone around us started to rush for the door all at once, almost taking me with them. I discarded my cloak and drew my sword, after that everyone parted before me.

I ran towards the stairs. The elf in the black cloak had a dagger drawn. She was staring down at Lana, seeming to wince occasionally. I instantly new that they were in the middle of a mind battle. Deciding that I didn't really need to get involved with it so I bounded past the elven go and found a man, human, clutching onto the red Eldanuri.

He was wearing dark clothing and seemed to be chanting something. He had deep brown hair that looked like he had just been zapped with electricity. He was murmuring something quickly in the ancient language, something about dragons and control.

I walked up to the man and struck at him, only to fin my sword to bounce off his wards. I attacked his mind only to find that he was so focused on his task that it would be impossible to break his mind.

I started to swing my sword at his wards as quickly as I could, and kept a close look on his mind as I did. The elf girl behind cried in pain, Lana had broken her. I started hammering faster and faster until suddenly the man smiled. The Eldanuri glowed a deep red it floated into the air. The man glared at me and got up. He drew a small dagger from his belt, and attacked.

I blocked the first blow easily, but the second stroke was so fast to return that I didn't have time. It clanged against my wards and I felt a slight amount of energy left it. I backed up, Draumr held in front of me.

'Men aren't supposed to be so fast,' I thought.

'It's the Eldanuri,' replied Farran, 'It's feeding him energy and making him extremely strong.'

'Well that's unfair,' I thought back.

I blocked a blow and started to back up towards the stairs, trying to keep my distance from the man. He suddenly jumped towards me and I felt a huge mental attack at the same time. I growled in annoyance and started to repeat my favourite song in my head.

I blocked again, then twisted around so I was behind him, before taking another stroke at his wards. It seemed they had been regenerated, and strengthened. The only thing that was on my side at the moment was that the man was extremely clumsy with his dagger. He may have been fast, but it was more like fighting an untrained elf.

He swung his dagger again and I was able to get out of the way. The force on my mind increased dramatically, I cried out in pain as I felt the mind walls crack. Suddenly the man backed up in surprise. Lana was at the top of the stairs, with her bow drawn. She had shotten an arrow at him, which had bounced of his wards, but for some reason it took out a lot of energy.

The man turned around to face Lana. The elven girl was behind her, unconscious. I took the opportunity and struck a couple more times at the man's wards. It still did nothing.

'Try the fishing spear,' said Farran, 'If he had thought of that then I would be very surprised.'

'Good idea,' I said.

I with drew my sword and took out the fishing spear, and stabbed at him. The spear wasn't affected by any of the wards and punctured through the man's back. He cried out in agony, then gasped as Lana slid her way into his mind. He fell unconscious.

I took a step back, breathing in relief.

'Thank goodness for elves,' was my first thought as I looked at the man.

I looked up to Lana and smiled at her. She smiled back, grimly.

"Did you find out why they wanted the Eldanuri," I asked.

"Power," she said, "As usual. What I am surprised at was how he found out. A dragon told him, though I didn't get what dragon."

I frowned, that was strange indeed. I walked over to the red Eldanuri and picked it up. As soon as I did I gasped. I could suddenly feel all the thoughts of the dragon inside. I let it drop back onto the floor and stumbled backwards.

"You all right?" she asked.

I nodded, "Something happened when I touched it. It was like all the dragon's thoughts were suddenly my own."

"Oh," she replied.

She looked at the stone. She took of her cloak and passed it to me.

"Put this around it," she said, "I may work."

I knelt back down and covered the Eldanuri with the cloak and picked it up. It worked, mostly. I could still feel the dragon's general thoughts and feelings. I decided to see if it was still alive. I reached out my mind towards it.

'Hello,' I said hesitantly.

There wasn't any reply but I felt something stir within.

'Hello,' I said again.

'Who are you!' replied a booming voice in my head.

'Hey, settle down, I'm just trying to help,' I said quickly, 'I'm Eran, the rider.'

The Eldanuri brushed against my mind, taking in my thoughts and feelings.

'Okay, that's good,' said the Eldanuri, seeming to breath a mental sigh of relief, 'Thankyou for saving me by the way. That spell the man was casting was much like one I had felt before.'

'Really?' I said.

'Yes, it was much like the spell Galbatorix used when he took control of us,' it said.

'What?' I replied, slightly confused.

'At first he found it extremely difficult to break our minds, so he decided to try this spell. I thought it was lost. Apparently not,' said the Eldanuri.

I frowned, 'We need to tell Arya.'

'Ayra, the oldest dragon rider?' said the dragon.

I nodded.

'Yes, tell her. You must,' he said.

'Okay, I will,' I said, slightly taken back by the dragon's urgency.

I looked at Lana, who was leaning against the stair rail, smiling at me. I felt my cheeks redden slightly.

'Umm... I got the Eldanuri to talk," I said.

She nodded, "And what did the dragon say?"

I quickly told her about the conversation. At the end she was frowning.

"Yes, we do need to tell the queen, and as quickly as possible. If this spell is being used then more people may know it and come for the Eldanuri," she said.

I nodded, "Call your dragon. We'll take the quick way out of here."

I hauled the Eldanuri up and started to walk down the stairs. The people still in the inn were looking at us with surprise and fear on their faces. I smiled at them.

"Don't worry," I said to them, "It's just us dragon riders."

There faces instantly went from fear to joy. They started to yell and run up to us. I was asked so many questions at once that I didn't hear any off them. I hurried through the crowed, thinking that it might have been a bad idea to tell them we were dragon riders.

Lana was close behind, carrying the two unconscious people. She had healed the man's wounds, and made sure he didn't die. We both managed to make it to the door and outside. Many of the people followed us.

Farran and Solista were waiting outside. I hurried up to the blue dragon and crawled hurriedly onto his back. The people, seeing the dragons, kept there distance, but still cheered.

Lana hauled the two unconscious people onto Solista's back before jumping up herself. Both dragons opened there wings simultaneously and launched themselves into the air, flying away from the people below and towards Ellesmera.

*Verity

He was walking in the woods, very near the Menoa tree. All of a sudden, he heard an ear piercing scream. He run towards the source of the sound. He lost his breath as soon as he saw her. She was wrapped in thick, huge roots that were squeezing her like a lemon, and she was screaming his name. She was screaming for him to help her.

He shook himself out of his shock and starting climbing on the roots of the ancient tree that Linnea inhabited. Taking another step that was bringing him closer to her, he was puled back by something unknown. He tried to move his legs, but it was a futile effort. Roots had trapped him, too, and now they were wrapping around his arms, and torso, and neck, and he watched her scream unable to do anything. And the shade laughed, and he was loosing consciousness. All he could hear as he passed out was her shouting, her begging for him to come save her, as the shade laughed, and laughed, and laughed.

"Belle..." was all he could whisper before darkness took hold of him.

Verity jumped up in his bed, drenched in sweat and breathing hard. He looked around frantically, before realizing that he was in his tree house, safe and sound.

It was just another dream, he thought. He put his head back on the pillow, and his hands above his stomach. Those kind of dreams had been very frequent in the past three weeks. Ever since that night, he doubted he had managed to sleep a whole night two times in a row. But it wasn't the lack of sleep that bothered him. It was the content of his dreams. It was always about Belle getting hurt and he was always unable of doing anything to help her. And most of the times, the final words of the dead now Shade would repeat in his mind.

"He has already awoken. And I have already planted it in her."

Verity couldn't stop wondering. Who had awoken? What was it? And...by her...he couldn't possibly mean Belle, could he? Those unanswered questions bothered him all day and all night long. He couldn't fully focus on anything, he couldn't enjoy a moment. And even though after killing the shade the people's behavior towards him had slightly changed for the better, he was totally oblivious to it, as he didn't pay any attention to anybody but his teacher, Murtaugh, his dragon, and of course, Belle.

When they got back from their ''adventure'' in Du Weldenvarden, Belle was taken by the elves to be taken care of. A day after she showed up in training, acting all normal. But that didn't mean only not mentioning anything about the shade, or the Menoa tree. She never even implied anything about the peck on the lips Verity had given her, and had started to worry that she was totally blacked out at the time, or that she pretended not to remember. And he was almost 100% sure that she lost consciousness after the kiss. So he believed that she didn't like the turn the events were taking and pretended nothing had happened. And he was devastated, but , as usually, he did his best not to show anything. But, after a week, when by chance they found themselves all alone on the top of a hill, Belle had come near Verity and had said:

"Verity. Have I done something to offend or anger you? Have I bothered you in any way?Have I done anything to cause you to change your approach towards me?" she had asked him, true worry and pain in her voice. He had looked at her, surprise imprinted on his face, one of the very few times his emotions could be read so easily.

"How could you ever say that? You have never caused me the least bit of annoyance. Belle, you know that when I am with you, it is the best part of my day. " he answered once he overcame his shock. Once again, he had voiced his thoughts without considering their meaning, but this time, it was on purpose. He wanted Belle to understand his feelings towards her were more than friendly, that he didn't plan on giving up easily on her.

"Then why is it, Verity, that I have to come and ask you to kiss me again?" she had asked, looking him straight in the eye.

Verity remembered how his heart had skipped a beat at that moment. He remembered drawing a deep breath and saying,

"My lady, I am unforgivable. I am sorry to have kept you waiting." before he gently pulled her face close to his own and softly kissed her for a second time.

Verity opened his eyes as he came back from the land of daydreaming. He realized that the sun had almost completely risen. With a groan, he got out of his bed and headed to the washing room. After cleaning himself, he picked up the mirror to check, once more, if there was any hair on his face that needed shaving. As always, there was no such thing. For some reason, Verity never grew hair on his face. The only thing he saw in the mirror was his eyes whiter-than-usual face, that gave away his restlessness. It would be pretty hard to hide it any longer. Well, no use worrying about it. If people noticed, there was nothing he could do about it.

He got dressed in simple training clothes, and prepared to head out, when he remembered. Shrewd. He was so tired that he had forgotten about him.

"Shrewd. Wake up."he said, but there was absolutely no reaction. He sighed. As if it was going to be that easy.

"Wake. Up. NOW!" he shouted, and was left with a headache because of the effort. He really needed a nap.

"Ok,ok. Relax. I'm up. See you downstairs"the dragon said , and Verity heard the loud thump the dragon made as he landed outside the tree house.

As soon as he got there himself, Verity jumped up the black dragon's back and they headed to the training grounds. Belle was already there. Verity hoped down his dragon and run where she sat on a rock to greet her.

"Good morning" he whispered in her ear. She giggled and turned round to meet his eyes.

"Good morning"she said too.Verity smiled. An actual smile that only Belle could bring out.

The moment was interrupted by a loud voice calling out to them.

"Alright, guys, let's get started,please. I have something important to say after we are done with our training."Murtaugh shouted.

Verity's face returned to it's normal state, as he offered Belle a hand to get up. He tried to hide his annoyance at the moment being ruined. He and Belle stood side by side as they waited from Murtaugh to explain what they were going to do today. Verity hoped that it wouldn't be sword fighting. He didn't have enough energy.

"So! Today there will be no fighting of any kind. I want you to practise your communication, your perception of the world. Go somewhere peaceful, each individually, and open your mind. Observe, and then , come tell me what you have learned." Murtaugh finally said.

Verity sighed. He was hoping that he would get to spend the day with Belle, but now they had to train separately. Knowing he had no choice, he mouthed a "see you in a while" to her, and went to find his own peaceful place.

He spotted a tree on the top of the little nearby hill that was perfect. He went and sat under it's shade. Closing his eyes, he relaxed. Pushing out all his feelings, he stretched outwards, becoming one with the plants, the birds, the insects, the nature. But all of a sudden, everything went black, and he couldn't feel anything. Verity opened his eyes, and realized he couldn't see anything either. He started to panic. Where was Belle? Was she alright?

"She is right here." He heard a voice that was familiarly cold. He turned his head to see the supposedly dead Shade, holding Belle firmly, his hand covering her mouth. She was squirming under his grasp. Verity tried to take a step towards her, only to find that his legs wouldn't obey.

"What?Have you realized? You were so relaxed that I entered your mind and took control of it without you even realizing.After all, you cannot save her. I told you. I have already planted it in her."

Verity was filled with rage and hate. He put all his strength in trying to move his legs, but it was pointless. Belle bit the Shade's hand, and he released her mouth. She screamed "VERITY!"

"VERITY!!"

"VERITY!!!"

"Verity!"

He opened his eyes and shot up. In front of him stood Belle, her face wet with tears.Verity hugged her immediately. She sobbed on his shoulder.

"Shh. It's alright. It's alright. What happened? Why are you crying?" he asked her. She pulled free her face but dint leave his embrace.

"I...I came he-here to call you, Master Murtaugh told me to, and-and I found you on the ground. It appeared as if you were sleeping, so I shook you and I called your name, but you wouldn't wake up, and then you started crying, and I shouted your name and you wouldn't wake up...and-and..I w-was scared...."she said, and once again hid her face on his shoulder.

He stroked her hair until she relaxed, and then held her hard as she led the way towards Murtaugh. So all that had been a dream. He must have fell asleep...

"There you are. Took you long enough. Well then, shall we get started?" their teacher said when they got to him, showing them two big rocks, obviously wanting them to sit on them, and so they did.

"Well, then. You have been Riders for some time. It is customary, that about at this phase of your training, you will be given a task that will be alike to those you will have when you become a complete Rider, but much easier and much safer. Each and every trainee, will take turns guarding the Room of the Eldunari, up in the Egg Tower. Your watch will last six hours, and then somebody will come to replace you. So. Eragon said that one of you two should start. Who will it be?" He asked looking at his two students.

Verity didn't hesitate a second. No matter how tired he was, there was no way he would let a girl, and especially this girl, have the first watch without getting any sleep.

"I will go first."he said. Belle jumped up from he seat.

"Verity, this is nonsense. You cannot go first. You think I cannot see it? You haven't been getting proper sleep. You cannot have the first watch in this condition!" she shot back at him.

"Belle..."he started..

"NO! This is not under discussion! You need to sleep! I am alright, cant you see? And tell me, Verity, in the unluckily chance that something happens, what help will you be when you can barely keep your eyes open?" she attacked him.

"But, Belle-" he tried again..

"Verity. I am afraid she is right. You are in no state to stay awake any longer. In fact, I suggest you go rest immediately. Belle will have the first watch and I will come take you when it is your turn." Murtaugh cut in.

To that , Verity couldn't say anything. He couldn't oppose his teacher. He had no choice but to go and,at least try, to get some sleep.

He was in a trance like state during the whole flight back to his house, and didn't respond to any of Shrewd comments. While he took a batch, he felt as if he was watching himself from above, and it was the same while he ate. By the time he actually got to bed, it was almost dark. He knew that Belle would soon go to the Egg Tower for her watch. He closed his eyes and tried to sleep so that he would be in perfect form when his own turn came.

For a while, his sleep was dreamless, peaceful. But suddenly, he started seeing something. He was walking up and down a corridor, past an enormous wooden door. All he could hear was the sound of his footsteps and the clang-clang of the key on his sword. He kept walking up and down, up and down, continuously. He was trying to think of a way to make those six boring hours pass faster.

Suddenly, he thought he heard a sound from behind. He turned, but saw nothing. But he knew better than putting his guard down that easily.

"Who is there?" he shouted, but his voice sounded strangely thin...

He felt a sharp pain on the back of his head. Before he could comprehend the situation, another hit followed, and he found himself flat on the ground. He felt the black casting over his eyes and the last think he heard was an unfamiliar voice calling in his head.

"Belle!".

For the hundredth time that month, Verity woke from his sleep breathing fast and he felt his shirt stuck to his back with his cold sweat. But he wasted no time trying to relax. He knew that this time, his dream wasn't a nightmare coming to remind him of the incident in the forest. This time, he knew, but he couldn't explain how and why, he had dreamed of something that was happening at the time.

And it was something happening to Belle.

"Shrewd! SHREWD! Wake UP ! NOW! Belle is in DANGER!!"he screamed to his dragon between their link, and this time, Shrewd was up in seconds.

In mere moments Verity was dressed, outside, on his dragon's back and flying towards the Egg Castle, that was located in the opposite part of the town than Tialdari Hall. It was a long way, but the urgency he felt surged through his dragon, and Shrewd managed to make the flight in half the time.

As soon as Shrewd's talons came in contact with the ground, Verity was already running towards the entrance of the tower. He stopped only to momentarily observe the two unconscious Elvin guards on the main entrance. Then he left them and went on. He started wandering around, not knowing exactly where the Room of the Eldunari was located, but hoping he would have a very hard time finding it.

""Shrewd. Go contact Murtaugh, and then together go to the Queen. Be swift. I know we will need someone to tend Belle urgently. And those two guards. Hurry." he said to his dragon.

"Alright, I am going. But, just so you know, the Room of the Eldunari is on the third floor, behind the large wooden door." Shrewd said and took off.

Verity stopped running around, bewildered.

"H-How did you-?"

"I simply asked the Eldunari inside. Now go. Your friend needs help."

Verity needed no more than that. Shooting to the third floor, he immediately found the large wooden door. And in front of it...

Belle was on the floor, and he could see the small blood pool that had formed under her head. He run towards her, and noticed that there was also a bruise that had formed on her forehead. He gently shook her shoulders, not knowing what to do. He placed his palm on her neck, feeling her weak heart beat. He put his hands over the wound, trying to stop the blood, but to no avail. He felt an invisible hand clench his heart. What was that feeling? Could it be...could it be fear?

Verity knew the answer already. And he now also knew what he was supposed to do. Shrewd was not coming back anytime soon, but if Belle was left like that for another minute...he knew the outcome wouldn't be nice. He had to do it himself.

He had to cure her himself.

He knew the words he had to use. He just....hadn't tried it before. But now, he had no time for doubt. He had to act.

Placing his palm, the one with the gedway ignasia , over her head, he said, clear and slow:

"Waíse heill" with a voice surprisingly calm. He felt the energy leave him, but at the same time, he saw the bruise fade, and noticed that the flow of the blood had stopped. He ceased the spell, and he was surprised that the only symptom he had was feeling a bit hungry.

Belle slowly opened her eyes, and as soon as she saw him, she hugged him roughly, and for the second time the same day, she started crying on his shoulder.

...................................................................................................................................................................

Verity squeezed Belle's hand lightly, to give her courage to continue her story. She gulped and looked at him gratefully. Then she took another breath and went on.

"Then, after the second hit, I blacked out, but not for long, I believe, as when I regained consciousness, I could hear him inside the Room, looking for something I suppose. I felt dizzy, so it took me a while to get up, but as soon as I managed to, the thief got out of the room. I noticed a large bag on his shoulder, containing something round. I tried to unsheathe my sword but my hands were unsteady. The thief approached me, and with the hilt of his own sword hit me hard on the forehead. I passed out again, and I woke up only after Verity healed me." she finished.

Verity raised his glance to look at the serious and concerned faces of Queen Arya, Eragon Shadeslayer and his own Master, Murtaugh.

"Well done, Verity. You saved the girl's life, you know. " Eragon praised him, but Verity couldn't care less. All he was thinking about was the thief, and how he had to find him and make him pay for what he did to Belle.

"The thief must be chased. But I cannot go, and neither can you, Eragon. As for Murtaugh..."Arya said.

"Yes, I know. We might be accomplices. But who will go then?" Murtaugh asked.

"I can go." Verity volunteered, hoping that once more they would trust him with an important mission, but this time, for his own reasons.

"I do not think-" Arya was cut off by a voice Verity had never heard before.

"The boy should go. He has potential. And we need to catch the thief and take back what was stolen." the voice said.

"Elbithril, are you sure?"this time, it was Eragon that spoke. Verity then understood who the voice belonged to.

"Eragon, it is final. The boy will go, but he can take somebody for help with him. We need to retrieve what was stolen" the voice insisted.

"Alright then, Elbithril. It was an Eldunari that was stolen, right?" Eragon asked.

"Yes" the voice confirmed.

"And whose Eldunari was it that was stolen, Glaedr-elda?" the queen asked this time.

"It was Umaroth" the great dragon answered. Everyone gasped. The dragon of the former leader of the Riders. That was serious.

"I will come, too." Belle said. Verity;s head turned towards her so fast, he heard his neck cracking in protest.

"You cannot be serious" he said.

"I cannot be more serious. Look, Verity, this is all my fault. I have to help fix it." she countered back.

The boy opened his mouth to protest, but was cut off by his teacher.

"Verity, I agree with her. It is her right-"Murtaugh started but he was interrupted.

"DO I NEED TO REMIND YOU WHAT HAPPENED THE LAST TIME YOU AGREED WITH HER? " Verity roared at the top of his lungs.

Everyone looked surprised beyond belief, watching this forever-calm person loose control in that way.

"I will not let you put her at harm's way again. I will be going alone." he added, after relaxing a little. Then he left them all there, staring at him in awe.

He met up with Shrewd not very far from there. He hoped on his back, and they took of, blending in with the darkness of the night.

Verity and his dragon spent all the hours to the sun rise looking for the thief. The covered the most part of Du Weldenvarden in unimaginable speed, but they managed to find nothing. Nothing at all, no clue to where the thief might have gone. So, just about five in the morning, they agreed to have a two hour break, after a seven hour search.

But just as Verity was about to drift into sleep, he heard a noise, as if somebody was making his way through the plants. He got up and unsheathed his sword, following the sound. He froze at what he saw.

Once again, completely by chance,they had stopped to rest near the Menoa tree. And that was what he was looking at now. But in front of it, there was a dressed-in-black figure, that was holding something. As the figure placed the something down, on the roots of the tree, Verity got a better look at it.

It was definitely Umaroth's Eldunari.

Verity charged at the man or woman, he couldn't make out, but the figure run into the trees , and no matter how short the time was until Verity reached those trees, no matter how hard he searched, once again, he could find no clue to where the mysterious person had gone. Disappointed, he walked back to the Eldunari. Carefully picking it up, he went back to Shrewd, and they flew to Ellesmera.

.......................................................................................................................................................

"So, you say, the person disappeared in the trees without leaving any clues?" Queen Arya asked him.

Verity nodded.

"I see. And Glaedr-elda, has Umaroth told you anything at all about that thief?" she turned her attention to the golden Eldunari.

"No. I sadly have to report that Umaroth, ever since his return, has no uttered a word, has not acknowledged my words, has not reacted in any way to anything. I say, and I am not glad to admit it, that we have no idea what has happened to him, or who did it." the dragon answered.

The silence that took over the room was depressing. Finally, Arya turned towards Verity again.

"You may leave now. Well done on retrieving the Eldunari."she said.

Verity bowed slightly, but didn't leave.

"Is it something you wish to say, young man?"the Queen asked him.

"Yes, your Magesty. I was wondering. The thief, having knocked Belle out, cold have taken as many Eldunari as he wanted, but instead, took only one, and the one of the dragon of Vrael. There are much larger or older Eldunari. I do not understand why he did this" Verity voiced his question.

It was Glaedr who answered him.

"Boy, we cannot be certain about it, but my guess is, that, because the thief was only one, and most likely human, and because the Eldunari in that room are of great size, I believe he aimed for Umaroth, as he is an Eldunari that can be carried by one person, and could provide both unlimited knowledge and energy. As to why he returned him, and so soon at that, I have no theory,yet."

Verity inclined his head towards the golden Eldunari, then the Queen, and exited the room.

After leaving the palace, he wondered what he should do. No. He knew what he wanted to do. The question was, were would he find her?

He was successful on his first guess. She was sitting at the top of the hill he had chosen two meditate at. She appeared to be enjoying the warmth of the afternoon. Verity approached her, and sat next to her. Touching her had softly, he asked.

""What are you looking at with such interest?"

"The sun." she answered, and then turned to find him staring at her face with a smile.

"What are you looking at with such interest?"she asked him back, a bit of playful irony in her voice.

Without taking his eyes off her, Verity answered.

"The sun".

*Arnuil "Arn"

Has not turned in entry

*Marcel

Tenebare and I were now great fighters. After we stopped the merchant from Ceris, we looked over the forest with Nemeen and Adurnae since they were both elves and the forest was part of their home and I felt responsible that my home town was tearing down the forest for their own profit. Nemeen assured me that it wasn't my fault, but I still felt responsible for what happened.

Lately, the other riders that remained had been and I had been put on patrol for guarding the new dragon eggs and the Eldunari, the gem like stone that held a dragon's essence. Tenebare would never disgorge his Eldunari unless he had too, like Glaedr did so long ago with Eargon. Nemeen's watch was about to end and mine was about to begin. Nemeen and I had become good friends and our dragons had become a great team.

I walked into the chamber to find that Nemeen had fallen asleep. I couldn't blame her, though. She hadn't been getting enough sleep since her watches were at night and training being early in the morning.

"Nemeen, wake up." I said, shaking her shoulder.

She jolted awake and rubbed her eyes.

"Marcel...Oh, no did I...?"

"You did. again." I told her. "I can't keep covering for you and lie to Eargon and Queen Arya."

"I'm trying Marcel."

"Count?" I asked, counting for the eggs and Eldunari in my head.

"Fifty eggs, fifty Eldunari." She said.

"Fifty? I'm counting forty nine."

"Forty nine?" she asked, counting them. "Oh-no."

She was thinking the same thing I as: A thief came in while she was sleeping and took an Eldunari. I walked to the missing Eldunari's place and noticed something. The crest of the merchant from Ceris. I snorted and walked out of the chamber.

"Nemeen, can you cover for me for a little bit? I'll be back in twenty minutes." I told her, saddling Tenebare before she could ask why.

Tenebare was a fast flyer and he could make it to Ceris and back before Eargon or Arya knew I had left. He understood my anger and why I was angry. That was my home town and he had disgraced it twice.

Tenebare landed outside the merchant's house and burst in the door. He was drinking mead and looking over papers.

"Where is it?" I shouted at him.

"Where is..."

Before he could finish, I picked him up and shoved him to a wall with one arm.

"Do not play games with me. You took an Eldunari! Where is it?!"

"Marcel!" A silver voice rang in the air.

I turned to the woman who had stood in the doorway with a small girl standing behind her.

"Let him go." she said, softly.

"Not until he reveals where he hid the Eldunari. That is a dragon's essence. Not a priceless gem to trade."

The woman opened a chest and held the red Eldunari in her hands. I thought she would break it, but held it out to me. I let the merchant go and took the Eldunari. Before I left I turned back to the merchant.

"This is the second time you've disgraced my order. A warning to you both: Disgrace my Order one more time and I will kill you. I do not care if you are my father or not."

I saddled Tenebare and he flew back to Ellesmira. The small girl's face still embedded in my mind. She held fear. I didn't want that. I wanted to be remembered, not feared.

*Belle Liressdaughter

Belinda Liressdoter shrieked as the wind roared past her ears, her eyes watering in her struggle to keep them open. Raugmar echoed her with his roar, and they continued to tumble down through the sky. Her scream became laughter as his magnificent wings stretched out to catch the air and stop their descent, turning their dive into a glide so that they swooped fingerbreadths above the trees.

Maintaining his breakneck speed, Raugmar angled his wings further to send them soaring back up and vertical with the cliffside. Belle grinned at the exhilaration, feeling the pure joy of flight echoed in her dragon's mind. He reluctantly flapped to slow down as they reached their destination: the Crags of Tel'naeír.

His Rider started to unbuckle the straps as he landed without a jolt, as only to be expected from a wind dragon as talented as he. Yes, one day he would as famous and as well known as his predecessor, Raugmar the Black. He idly wondered if the ancient dragon was still alive, sleeping his days away in the north as a creature his size surely would. However, this Raugmar would not be pacified with such a fate; no, he would be as active in his old age as he was in his youth.

I shudder to think of what that means for our future world, the partner-of-his-mind-and-heart teased.

He snorted, blowing back her windswept bangs as smoke rose from his nostrils. The world will be grateful that such a mighty and ferocious dragon as I still honors it with his presence.

She rolled her eyes at Raugmar's haughty words. Of course! How silly of me to think otherwise.

You are correct. But do not think that your sarcasm has escaped me. For that, I think I shall join Shrewd in his hunting.

"What!" Belle yelled aloud as he flapped hard, rising from the ground. "At least come back to get me!"

I could, Raugmar began, his violet eyes twinkling down at her, But then again, only a mighty and ferocious dragon would do something such as that.

Raugmar! He just let loose a coughing growl before flying off, leaving Belle to frown and call, I won't ever forgive you if you leave me stranded up here!

Yes, you will.

The girl grumbled to herself as her dragon's consciousness left hers, and she began wandering along the edge of the Crags. She hated when he was right, and for some reason Raugmar almost always was. Remembering why'd he brought her here in the first place, Belle turned around to face the trees, but her foot slipped out from under her. It was then that she remembered where she was precariously perched.

Terror seized her, and her arms desperately began to windmill as gravity took hold and she began to fall. There would be nothing but empty air to catch her, and this flight would not be an enjoyable one at all. Suddenly, her left hand jerked forwards and sent her tumbling onto the firm ground.

She lay there for a few moments, stunned yet extremely relieved, and waited for her heartbeat to slow. The adrenaline dissipated as Belle climbed back to her feet. Brushing off the dirt that now clung to her once white jerkin, she looked down at her hand. On the palm glimmered her gedwëy ignasia, the silvery oval seeming to be no more active than usual. Below it, shell fragments from Raugmar's egg glittering around her wrist just like his scales in the early morning sun. Her mother had made the bracelet for her, imbuing it with spells of protection. Could that be what had saved her life?

The niggling sensation of guilt was slight yet present. Belle had not spoken to Liress for nearly two months, ever since she'd gotten back from her encounter with the Ra'zac. The enchantress had tried to get into contact, but she had cast a spell so that the other couldn't scry her and ignored her older sister's inquiries. She couldn't talk to her mother, not while doubts still whirled around in her head, doubts that originated from the Ra'zac's last words.

When the three apprentices had arrived back at Ellesméra the following morning, after helping the elves to heal the damage to the forest before it could spread, they'd went to Tialdarí Hall to debrief. The council and the queen had been shocked to hear of the monstrous creatures who had poisoned Du Weldenvarden, and even further when Roslyn had explained how Belle had seemed to sense them. She'd contradicted the elf hesitantly, struggling to describe the cold being whose presence she had detected. Her correction had not endeared her to Roslyn any further, who'd quickly proclaimed that she had been mentally scouring the area and detected nothing. "Plus," the senior apprentice had continued, her slate eyes cold and critical, "How could something be neither living nor dead? There is no in between."

Noticing the skepticism on the faces of all the older Riders, Maggie included, Belle had ducked her head and stuttered out that she must've been mistaken. In the past weeks this followed, she'd managed to convince herself that the whole thing had been a trick of the mind - almost. Shivers still occasionally wracked her despite it being already being spring, and sometimes it felt as though someone was watching her.

There was also the matter of how the Ra'zac had called her "Princess". When Verity had been explaining their ordeal with the creature, Belle swore she'd seen Queen Arya's face pale at the words. Even the council seemed worried, and her sister had shot her several glances which she didn't understand. Why would it matter what she'd been called? After all, in the ancient language, her second name almost literally meant the same thing. The main concern was the new enemy: the ghost king.

Pushing her turbulent thoughts aside, Belle carefully walked back to the edge of the cliff and peered down. Even though she and her dragon flew together daily, the staggering height made her stomach clench. She wondered how far she'd have to lean for the bracelet would save her?

"Belle!" a voice hissed from behind her just as a strong arm wrapped around her waist to pull her away. Turning, she looked up slightly to meet a set of piercing gray eyes. "What in the name of the gods are you doing?"

"Hi," Belle replied breathlessly, heat coloring her high cheekbones. "I, ah, was just...experimenting with something."

"Was it death?" Verity sighed and released his grip, running a hand through his dark hair in an uncharacteristic show of agitation. "Isn't there a saying here in Alagaësia that 'curiosity killed the rat'?"

She couldn't help but giggle. "It's the cat, actually."

He just sighed again, bending down to collect the sketchbook he dropped when he'd quickly rushed to whisk his companion away from danger. Fear was such an unsettling emotion, and one the boy had never had to deal with before Belle. But as he saw the grin that stretched across her soft lips and how the golden flecks in her irises twinkled, Verity knew it was worth it.

"Did you bring yours?"

Patting the book she'd lashed onto a belt loop across from where her falchion hung, her head bobbed once shortly, making the braid she wore whip up and down. "What spot did you find this time?"

He stretched out his hand, and Belle didn't hesitate in taking it. "This way. I like what you've done with your hair." The style made her stunning facial features stand out even further.

"Thanks." Following him through the trees, she marveled at how easy it was to be with Verity. Before she'd been nervous and stuttering whilst he was cool and reserved, but now their hands were clasped together and fingers intertwined. It had been two months since he'd first kissed her, and they'd shared many more close moments. Her heart seemed to swell each time she read the warmth in his gaze. Even with concerns of the Ra'zac and her unknown father still lingering, being with him made Belle feel as though she could handle whatever the future brought.

Verity paused and looked down at her, the corners of his mouth quirked upwards in his own version of a widespread grin. "You're going to love this."

Pushing back the low hanging branches, he gestured for her to step past, and she did into the small glade. A single birch tree stood at its center with Lianí Vines climbing up its trunk, but as clouds finally uncovered the sun, the true treasure was revealed. Her hands flew to her mouth to hold in the gasp at the gold that glinted at its base. The flowers were fixated in between its roots, their petals and stems reflecting the light as if they were gems - for they were gems.

"Are...are these..."

"Kuldrfëons," Verity confirmed as Belle wandered further into the clearing. "The offspring of the lily made by Eragon and gilded by the spirits."

She bent down to further examine the flowers. Inside their white petals, red and blue gems flashed, like water and fire buried between walls of ice. "They're beautiful," she breathed, stretching out one hand to gently stroke the bud. Somehow, despite it being made of metal, it still felt silky to the touch.

Soft footsteps came from behind her, and Belle turned to see Verity bend down. His hand stretched outwards too, but it was her face he cradled in his palm. "You're beautiful."

Her face grew warmer as he kept his grip on her cheek and leaned closer. Their eyes closed and their mouths met in a kiss that was as soft as the kuldrfëon's petals. Pulse racing, she raised her hand to cup the back of his neck, sliding her fingers between the strands of his hair as he slid his tongue between her slightly parted lips. A tingle from her face all the way down to her toes, but it was soon replaced by a strong shiver. Verity pulled back, his gray gaze a molten silver of longing mixed with concern. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing..." she murmured, running a hand down her bared arms and suppressing the urge to shudder at the goosebumps she felt. "Just a chill, that's all."

He nodded, pressing one last quick kiss upon her forehead through her bangs and backing away. "Well, let's get what we came for, shall we?"

"Yes, let's." Moving toward the edge of the small glen, Belle reluctantly drew her attention away from her beau and to the task at hand. Unstrapping her sketchbook from her belt, she flipped through it to reach the next blank sheet and removed her pencil from its place between the pages. After getting herself comfortably seated, her dark brown eyes fixed themselves to the birch, studying each line and curve before her hand began to move across the parchment.

Drawing had always been a passion for her. She loved being able to capture the detail and intricacy into a form which one could see without actually viewing it in reality. While fairths accomplished the same thing, the satisfaction of making the image without the use of magic was one Belle treasured above all else. Rhunön the swordsmith had once told her it was the same feeling she had when making a blade, despite the roundabout way the elf had to go about accomplishing the task. And it was this love of art that the girl had discovered long ago which Verity shared.

Now that the two were a couple, they often came together in the early morn to sketch. The silence was as comforting as the companionship, one in which words were not needed and indeed would not be appreciated. A few candlemarks passed, long enough for the sun to climb higher in the sky and change the angle of the light. Luckily, Belle had already captured the image. Now she was filling in the minute details, and even though she abhorred using magic in her artwork, she felt color would enhance the sketch. The tip of her pencil changed to the shade she willed in her mind, not speaking aloud lest she disturb her companion.

Once she was done, she stuck her pencil behind her ear and examined her drawing. The shades of gold and green had truly brought the image to life. Hearing the silence of the boy beside her, she turned to show Verity the image. "D'you think she'll like it?"

He did not answer immediately, analyzing her work as thoroughly as he did everything else. Belle waited with bated breath until he gave her that small, barely-there smile of approval and said, "I can already imagine her saying how much she - "

~ ~ ~

" - absolutely, positively, completely love it!" Adurnaë finished squealing, spinning around as she continued to stare at the picture in delight. "You are brilliant! Thank you!"

"I'm glad you like it."

"Like it?! This is much too amazing to just be liked! Let me hang it up." The elf ran forwards to her bed, positioning the frame just above her nightstand before letting the wood meld into the wall with a quick spell. She turned back around to launch herself into her friend's arms. "Thank you [so] much."

Laughing, Belle squeezed back, careful not to muse the fine dress she wore. "You're most certainly welcome. Happy birthday."

Adurnaë pulled back, her eyes sparkled like Miremel's scales. "I love you, Belle."

There was no hesitation as she replied, "I love you, too." The two roommates had become as close as sisters during their months in Ellesméra training to be Riders. The elf was as curious as her real sister Maggie, but unique in her own incredible way: headstrong, hot tempered, and with a bigger heart than any person she'd ever met. Living with Adurnaë was what Belle imagined having a little sister would be like; they'd had their share of tiffs, as only to be expected when two (nearly) only children were forced to share a home with a virtual stranger, but their bond had only grown stronger.

"I really wish you could come to my party," the younger girl pouted slightly, finally releasing her.

Grinning, Belle tugged on one of her red ringlets. "I do, too. But you'll have plenty of your other friends there, like that long-haired young man who seems to be quite taken with you."

The elf flushed all the way up to the points of her ears. "We're just friends and fellow Riders, that's all!"

"Uh huh," she replied disbelievingly, making the other stick out her tongue before nervously straightening her garment.

"How do I look?"

With a critical eye born from having an enchantress for a mother, Belle stared at her roommate. Adurnaë was clothed in a lámarae gown that matched her dragon Leafian. The bodice was a bright aqua blue with thin straps, and the turquoise green skirt hung just below her knees. Blue satin flats covered her feet, and from her neck and ears dripped turquoise gems. With her maroon hair curled and her lips painted to match, she looked stunning, and the brunette told her so.

Adurnaë smiled in relief before a grimace flashed across her lovely face. "I still can't believe the elves practically declared my birthday a holiday."

"Just because we don't have lessons doesn't mean it's a holiday," Belle said, trying not to smile at how the birthday girl distinguished herself from the rest of her race.

"The party will last till midnight!"

The older girl merely shrugged. "Elven revels are known to last quite long." She held back her giggles at the redhead's grumbling.

"Can't you at least walk me to the Menoa Tree?" begged the elf.

"I have to return the naiad mirror back to Niaomi before I forget about it again. It's already been two months, and I feel like a thief for having kept it this long."

"Speaking about scrying, have you spoken to your mom recently?"

Fiddling with her belt buckle nervously, Belle resisted the urge to glance away and muttered, "Ah...not really..."

Shaking her head, Adurnaë gripped Belle's hands and peered deeply into her eyes. "You have to talk to her eventually, Belle. She's your mother."

"I know that," the brunette replied, slightly annoyed. "But I - "

"That doesn't matter. She deserves an explanation as much as you do."

She sighed and smiled ruefully at her friend. "When did you turn so wise?"

The elf grinned. "Well, I have just turned five-and-ten."

Chuckling, the older Rider tugged on one of the ringlets once more before walking backwards. "I best be on my way now."

"Have fun on guard duty!" Adurnaë called wickedly.

Belle just stuck her tongue out at her before turning around and leaving the room. She walked down the hall to her own, closing the door behind her. Glancing in the mirror, sweat stains greeted her, and she hurriedly changed her top for another two-strapped one, this one a burnt orange. Pulling her braid out of the shirt, she took just another second to admire the hairstyle her roommate had created. It enable her to pull back her hair and keep it out of her eyes yet let most of her bangs remain.

She walked forwards to pick up the handheld mirror that lay on the vanity table below the larger reflective surface. The bronze glinted in the light that shone threw her west-side facing window, the leaf embellishments intricately detailed along the frame. Holding it upwards, Belle stared, slightly bothered by how big her nose looked (she was still a woman, after all), before tucked it into a belt loop opposite her sword and leaving her bedroom.

Her boots pounded on the mossy forest floor as she quickly made her way to the Leader of the Order's tree. She quickly walked passed the dwellings, nodding to the elves who greeted her with warm smiles. Every elf knew of the hand she had played in stopping the destruction of their beloved Du Weldenvarden. The looks of slight suspicion she had first been greeted with now gave way to approval. But all it did was make her wonder why she'd received the first looks.

Belle looked for Raugmar with her mind to ask him, only to realize he was still out of her mental range. Worry slowly crept in; it had been nearly eight candlemarks since he'd left her on the cliffs, and Glaedr had flown her and Verity back down. She'd assumed her dragon was caught up in hunting with Shrewd, who he held a great admiration of. But why was he not back yet? Could something have happened to him?

Distracted, she didn't see the elf hurrying in the opposite direction until they collided. Landing on her backside, the breath whooshed out of her lungs as she groaned in pain. Blinking her eyes rapidly, she looked to see Roslyn standing before her, more annoyed that usual.

"Sorry," Belle automatically apologized, scrambling to her feet. She looked down, breaking eye contact though it was rude, and saw the scrolls that littered the ground. "Oh, let me gather them for you."

"It's fine." The elf's sharp voice stopped her midway to the ground, and she glance back upwards to meet a pair of stormy eyes. "Just watch where you're going from now on."

"I-I was just trying t-to help," she stuttered as Roslyn bent down and retrieved the scrolls.

The senior apprentice snorted, rising back to her feet and shouldering past the girl. "Well, don't, since you generally make things worse."

That was it. Already stressed about her missing dragon, Belle's usually small temper flared.

"What's your problem?" she called, voice heated.

Roslyn halted in her tracks but didn't turn around and asked in a flat voice, "What."

"What. Is. Your. Problem?" the younger Rider repeated, emphasizing each word through gritted teeth. "Ever since I arrived in Ellesméra, you've been condescending and downright rude to me. So I want to know why. I want to know what I've done that's irritated you so much though I've been nothing but nice to you!"

The elf spun around, sorrel hair swinging with her as her eyes flashed. "You want to know what you've done? Well, you're right; you've done nothing but be your usual upbeat, perky, nice self - and, quite frankly, it's annoying."

"Well," Belle continued, her anger rising at the other's cooly stated words, "I am so sorry that not everyone is as gloomy as you!"

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me! I'm sorry that you're so jealous of me, of my ability to be cheerful when all you can be is sad. That's all you are, just plain sad."

Some of the elves around them had stopped walking once they heard their argument, whispering among themselves from a respectable distance away. Roslyn saw this, and twin spots of red appeared high on her cheeks. "What's there to be jealous of?" she spat with a scornful laugh. "Your beauty? Your beau? All those pale in consideration to your lack of talent."

The comments stung, but Belle had finally spotted a crack in the elf's seemingly impervious armor. She spoke in a voice loud enough for everyone to hear and said, "But they don't pale in consideration to your lacking of either."

Her boldly stated insult caused the flurry of whispers around them to grow. It was an unbelievable thing for one of another race to insult an elf about their looks, as they were not called the fair folk for nothing. But she was the daughter of an enchantress, and through her blood flowed the same substance that made her mother so alluring.

She expected Murtagh's senior apprentice to be embarrassed further, perhaps so much that the older Rider stormed off with a flushed face. However, Belle was not prepared to see how the elf's mouth fell open slightly, her lips trembling as her grays eyes grew cloudy with pain. Her own empathy surged as guilt struck her and cooled her temper, but the other still had one piece of ammo left in her arsenal.

A steely resolve grew over Roslyn, hiding her hurt as she whispered, "At least I'm not the daughter of the one who first betrayed our order."

Not understanding, Belle shook her head in confusion. "Liress wasn't the first to - "

"I'm not talking about your mother!" The shout silenced all in the vicinity. "I'm talking about your father. The Rider who near annihilated the dragon race and whose gloves made from the great Belgabad's wings you still have the nerve to wear."

Looking down at her bare hands, she realized that it was her Ascûdgamln gloves that the other spoke of, the ones she wore often though not at this moment. Understanding began to dawn on her as she shook her head again, wilder this time. "You're lying."

Roslyn's eyes did not waver from hers, and Belle could read the truth in them before she stated in the ancient language, "I'm not lying. You're father was Galbatorix."

It was silent besides for the pounding of her heart as the blood drained from her face. All of a sudden, the surge of memories struck her:

In Aroughs, when her sister had begun, "Mother, she deserves to know the truth about her - "

On the trip to Ellesméra, she'd overheard Linden saying, "The king and the girl do look quite similar."

In Tialdarí Hall, where Arya Dröttning had commented, "I guess that it is no surprise that you too are a Rider, like your family before you."

And then Blagden's strange riddle that, "Bad is bad. Good is good. But when bad turns good, and bad adds bad, is it bad or good?"

Outside of Ceunon as the Ra'zac hissed, "Mark my words, Princess - I will have my revenge in some form."

Tens upon tens of little moments, weird looks and strange comments that she hadn't piece together until now. And worst of all, Belle remembered what her mother had said the day she'd left home.

"Both my girls, Riders. Looks like it's a father's blood that wins out in the end."

She'd known. Of course Liress had known who her father was - and she'd never told her. Instead, she heard the crushing words from a fellow Rider who hated her no doubt because of who her father was. Is that why her mother hadn't told her? Because the blonde hadn't wanted her words to become the truth? She hadn't wanted her daughter to betray the Order like her father before her?

Nearly hyperventilating by this point, Belle knew she had to escape. She had to get away from all the eyes that were watching her. Her feet stumbled as they carried her backwards and away, too fast to see the flash of guilt in Roslyn's eyes.

The trees rushed by her as she sped past, weaving through the well worn paths and heading for some unknown direction. Who else knew? Who else had kept the truth from her?

***

A knock sounded on his door, and Verity struggled to ignore it. There was still a candlemark left until he and Belle had to take up guard duty with their dragons, and he fully intended to spend it alone in peace. Thinking of dragons, a frown furrowed his brow as he wondered where Shrewd was. It was not unlike him to go off, but he usually always informed the parter-of-his-mind-and-heart.

The knock came again, and the boy closed his book with a sigh before getting to his feet and walking down the steps. Opening the door, he found the girl before him lowering her hand as if she'd been about to knock again.

"What is it, Reona?"

"Can I come in?" the elf asked, her wide blue eyes as serious as always. He stepped make and gestured for her to make her way inside, and she walked to his common room and took a seat.

Following her lead, Verity sat down on the chair across from the other Rider and asked again, "What is it?" It was unlike her to come calling unannounced.

Reona was not one to beat around the bush. "This is about Belle. She's the daughter of Galbatorix."

His eyes widened briefly, the only sign of his shock. "What makes you believe this?"

She reached into the pocket of her trousers as she explained, "I found a picture of the despised king while doing some research for my master. It was from one of her personal collections of books, the work of some Kuastan illuminator. I copied the picture to show you."

He took the paper from her outstretched fingertips and unfolded it. It only took one glance for him to see the uncanny resemblance between Belle and the man. They both had the same bladelike nose, strong jawline, and thin lips. Something in his stomach curled at the sight of that mouth he loved so much on the face of the Rider's greatest enemy. "Is this all the evidence that you have?"

"There's more," the elf answered, her curtain of pale blonde hair swinging forwards as she leaned closer. "As Ruby's apprentice, I overhear many things which I'd otherwise not. One of those was a discussion between Mahogany and her about a growing rebellion in the Kingdom. Apparently, there have been rumors circulating around Queen Nasuada's court about the 'true' heir to the throne, a daughter of Galbatorix. Ruby said something about how it was good that they suspected Mahogany of being the heir and not her sister. It didn't make any sense until I looked further into things and found this."

Verity was silent, which wasn't an uncommon attitude for him to adopt. Reona waited patiently for him to adjust to the news. She herself was shocked by the news, but now it all made sense. It had never settled well with her how close Belle had grown to the only boy who could be considered as her closest ally. They were both quiet people, natural introverts who took appreciation in being able to spend time together without the pressures of a normal friendship.

Recently, the brunette had been an unwanted intrusion into Verity's )and thus hers) life. The girl's naïveté and overjoyed outlook bothered her in a way she couldn't quite put her hands on. Reona definitely believed that Belle was much too young in the mental sense to be handled, and so she usually tried to avoid her. But seeing how much her ally liked the other Rider made her worried, enough so that she set out to find more.

And so she had.

"Why are you telling me this?" The boy's question brought her attention back to him, and she met his eyes. They were old for someone so young, as if they'd seen more tragedies than any one ought to in their lifetime. Those piercing irises always stole her breath away.

Clearing her throat, Reona replied, "Because I think Belle should know, and it would sound better coming from you than it would me. Also, the rising faction against the human queen is troubling. If she were to publicly declaim herself from being a contender to the throne, than the rebellion would lose its foothold."

"What about Belle?" Verity argued. "There would be much backlash; no doubt some would protest her being a Rider at all."

She shrugged her shoulders. "And what of it? We must think of the common good, not of the happiness of one human child."

"Were those truly your only reasons, Reona?"

What did he mean? Of course they were. "What other reasons would I have?"

He stood to his feet and walked over to kneel in front of her, taking her hands in his and staring into her eyes. "I know what he took from you. This isn't the way to bring them back."

Her breath caught again, but this time because of his words and not his eyes. "What are you implying?" Reona demanded in a cool voice.

"No one should be judged for the actions of their parents," Verity continued, his gaze remaining on her face even as she looked away. "No matter how horrible they were."

Pulling away, the elf rose to her feet, her eyes seeming more bluer than before. "I must go. Do what you wish with the information."

Watching as the blonde nearly sprinted out the door, the boy sighed and ran his fingers through his dark hair, idly realizing that he needed a trim soon. However, that thought was just secondary; his primary concern was for Belle. He couldn't keep the news from her, as she deserved to know the truth. But how would she take it?

***

"The hour approaches, Areq. Are you prepared?"

"Of course, my lord. I am ready to seize both prizes as soon as they are within my reach."

"Make sure you stay well away from Ellesméra's borders," the first cautioned, seated on his throne as he looked into the mirror before him. "It would not due to have Gilderien learn of your presence."

The second gave him a feral grin through the glass. "Believe me, Lord Galbatorix, I have no wish to taste the White Flame."

Galbatorix, disposed king of the Empire and breaker of dragon's hearts, merely nodded at his servant's words. "My daughter shall arrive soon, and remember that she is not to be harmed at all costs. We will travel back north from there."

"Yes, my lord." He ended the scrying once Areq had bowed, only to begin another. This time, the mirror showed the image of a young girl walking towards the heart of Du Weldenvarden. His black eyes narrowed slightly as he spotted the infernal boy running up to her, but then a wicked smile graced his face.

"Enjoy your time with her, child. For soon, Belinda will be no more."

***

"Still no sign of them?" Belle asked Verity as he jogged up to her side.

"No, but your sister said that she and her dragon would go searching for them."

Her sigh was one part relief and two parts worry. She trusted Maggie and Miremel to find Shrewd and Raugmar, but she still wanted to search for them herself. Instead, the two apprentice Riders still had to follow through with their assigned task: keeping watch over the Eldunarí. From the little that their teachers had told them, these were the souls of dragons whose bodies were gone - or, in the case of Glaedr and Vervada, an existential part of them.

They were always under constant watch by two Riders, and tonight the honor was bestowed upon Verity and Belle since it was Adurnaë's birthday. All the elves, even some from beyond their capital city, were gathered to shower the young elf with gifts, blessings, and praise. Therefore, it was decided by the council that a pair of younger Riders would be chosen each year on the day of occasion. And this year, it was Murtagh's apprentices turn.

The Menoa Tree came into view, as grand as ever. As the two walked closer, they could see the flashes of color that marked were the Eldunarí rested. Each had its own place in one of the massive trunk's divots, cradled and protected by Linnëa's sleeping spirit. There was no better place for the dragon's hearts to be housed. It was a truly beautiful sight, but right now, Belle was only concerned about one dragon...and one question.

"Verity, I need to ask you something," she said, pausing yet not turning around.

His footsteps also stopped as he asked, "What is it?"

"D-did...did you know about - about my father?"

It grew quiet, and that was all she needed to hear. Grasping her chest to dull the ache, she spun around to face him, her eyes filled with pain. "Why? Why didn't you tell me?"

"Why does it matter?" he retorted, stepping forwards to grasp her shoulders and only squeezing harder when she tried to shake them off. "You'll always be you. Who cares you're parents are?"

"I do!" she shouted back, finally managing to wrench herself away. Holding back a sob, Belle said in a weaker voice, "I do. I care who they are. Because if it weren't for them, I wouldn't be here."

"Belle - "

"But I guess it would've been better, wouldn't it?" She tried for a laugh, but it sounded more like she was choking. "I mean, if it weren't for my father, all these Eldunarís would still be inside their dragons. Funny how it's [me] whose now protecting them."

He couldn't stand to see her like this, looking as lost as the day she'd arrived. "Belle, listen to me. I - "

"Stop." The order was not yelled, yet it halted Verity in his tracks. "You probably didn't tell me to try and protect me, right? Just like my mother."

Glancing down at her left wrist in disgust, Belle ripped off the bracelet she'd worn since Liress had given it to her and threw it at the boy's chest. "Well, I don't need either of you's protection, and I don't want it! I - "

Her tirade was cut short as she doubled over with a gasp, goosebumps crawling up her flesh. It felt like she was freezing, and when the other Rider grabbed her, it felt as though she'd been burned. A scream rose up in her throat, but it never made its way out of her mouth before her mind went blank.

"Belle? Belle!" Verity lunged forward as the girl slumped forward, panicking at the feel of her icy skin. "What's wrong?! Gods, Belle, please answer me."

Her body suddenly stiffened, and she straightened to her feet. Relieved, he pulled her into a right hug before pushing her back to stare into her eyes. His mouth fell open slightly at what he found: dark irises without a trace of the hazel flecks he loved so much. They crinkled at the corners as her mouth twisted into a mockery of a smile. "Hello, boy."

Instinct had him hastily backing away, his eyes never leaving Belle's. "W-what - "

"Now look who's stuttering," she stated in that flat, cold voice, cocking her head to the side as if Verity was an interesting insect she wanted to examine. "I don't quite see what Belinda sees in you."

He might have been confused, but he wasn't slow on the uptake. Grabbing the hilt of his sword, his eyes narrowed as he demanded, "Tell me who you are and what you've down with Belle."

She was now examining her own self. "Why couldn't that damned enchantress have graced me with a son?" whoever was inside of Belle grumbled, patting her chest and making his neck flush.

"You get your hands off her!" Verity snarled, drawing his sword even as possible strategies ran through his mind. He couldn't harm her, but whatever malicious entity had taken over could not be allowed near the Eldunarí, for he had a duty to his master and the Order.

The girl laughed cruelly, those dark as night eyes glinting in the twilight. As the sun disappeared below the horizon, the Erisdar began to illuminate Ellesméra. One light directly above them as she mocked, "Don't you mean 'her' hands?"

"Who are you? Why have you possessed her?"

"I grow tire of your questions, boy," the female Rider stated, raising her left hand. Verity raised Syrgjiat in response, and she only laughed. "And what are you planning to do with that? After all," the spirit said, affecting Belle's own vocal cadences, "You could never hurt me, Verity."

He hesitated, and that was all the opportunity his opponent needed. Lifting her arm higher, she shouted, "Jierda!"

The snapping of a branch came from above, and he raised his head in time to see the lantern come crashing down. His reflexes saved him from being hit, but weren't enough to push him out of the blast radius. With an echoing boom, the Erisdar exploded, throwing Verity backwards into a tree and knocking the boy out cold.

The other Rider was unharmed, as she - or rather, the person possessing her - had warded herself and taken cover. Grinning wickedly, Belle's puppeteer walked to the Menoa Tree and bent down to eye one of the glowing gemlike hearts. "Why, hello there, Cuaroc. I always wondered where'd you gotten off to."

Before the dragon's conscious could flare up, her hand reached out and grabbed the purple Eldunarí, whispering a phrase that made its light dim. Grinning, the girl's body quickly began running towards the outskirts of the city, shrouding the heart from sight with another spell. She avoided all the other inhabitants, though nearly all were at the festivities. Approaching the border, her feet were about to cross when a bright white light shone down in front of her.

Skidding to a stop, she raised one hand to cover her eyes until the glow dimmed, and lowered her arm to find Gilderien the Wise, the guardian of Ellesméra. His insubstantial body, so much like the true form of the one wielding Belle's, wavered as he asked in a voice that echoed with power, "Where do you go, Apprentice Rider Belinda Liressdoter."

Hearing the name of the enchantress made her mouth grimace slightly before it said in a slightly worried yet determined tone, "I need to go out and search for my dragon, Raugmar."

"He has not yet returned from his venture this morning, that is true." The ancient elf proclaimed, eyes sharp and probing. "But are you allowed to venture out after him?"

"Yes," her voice firmly stated even as the possessor cursed the delay.

There was a pause before Gilderien's body began disappearing as the light did with him. "Very well. You may pass." Her head bowed in thanks, disguising how her lip curled in disgust, and she waited until he was gone before continuing her mad dash.

Gods be damned, every tree in this forest looked exactly the same. How was he ever to find his way out of this hellhole? Well, it didn't matter, as Areq would soon find the girl. And then, he would be out of this accursed female body. Galbatorix smiled with his daughter's lips.

The ghost king would not be a ghost for much longer.

***

Head pounding, Verity awoke with a startled cry, only one name on his lips. "Belle!"

Scrambling to his feet, he clutched his aching skull and gritted his teeth against the pain. He had to go after her, bring back the girl he knew and cared for so much. The girl, he suddenly realized with a start, that he loved. With a new resolve, he healed himself so that the worst of the headache was gone before running off.

Verity had already spotted the missing Eldunarí, and he now feared the worst. No doubt Belle's possessor was attempting to flee from Du Weldenvarden before the elves discovered the theft. But why would she be used instead of him? Thinking back to her earlier words, he paused in his tracks.

Could the entity really be Galbatorix?

Sprinting faster, his mind whirled as the keys finally clicked into place. The Ra'zac had said they worked for a ghost king, and Belle was the heiress to an empire that no longer existed (it was the Brodding Kingdom once more). It would make sense for her to be used, as Murtagh had taught them both that a primary part of dark magic was blood. And their master would know from experience.

He should contact him and the other council members, but there was no time. Each sliver of a candlemark that passed was another step Belle took away from Ellesméra. Verity didn't have time to stop and tell anyone. However, there was one who stopped him.

Gilderien materialized in front of him, causing the boy to stumble to a halt. "Well well, this is the second apprentice Rider to go charging off into the night. Are you looking for your dragon, as well?"

"What?" he replied, confused for a moment before realizing what the guardian was talking about.

"You mean Belle passed this way? Which direction did she head off in?"

"Straight ahead due north. But why are you looking for her?"

Speaking as quickly as he could, Verity explained the situation. "Something has possessed her and made her still one of the Eldunarí."

Shocked, the elf shook his head in denial. "I would have known whether a dragon's heart of hearts crossed the border."

"Yeah, well, you didn't," Verity stated bluntly. There was no time to feign politeness. "And each moment we spend talking, Belle gets further away!"

"Go, Rider. I will alert the council." Gilderien vanished as quickly as he'd appeared, but the boy didn't spare a moment to contemplate on it. Instead, he continued onwards.

The light of the half-moon was shrouded by the pines, submerging the forest floor into a murky darkness. If Belle was herself, then no doubt she'd be terrified. However, Verity doubted that Galbatorix - if that was indeed who'd taken control - would be out off by such a small thing as a lack of light. Indeed, as he traveled further, his ears picked up the sounds of another up ahead.

His speed increased further, until just before him he could see the bobbing braid of his love. "Belle!"

Cursing, the girl spun around, drawing her sword to face Verity as he approached her. "You just don't know when to give up, do you, boy?"

"I know who you are, Galbatorix," he replied, his own blade still clenched in his right hand. "Now release Belle from your enchantment."

She - he - chuckled, spinning Sundavr around with one hand in a move that looked effortless. "I've been hoping to have a heart-to-heart with you. In all honesty, I don't like the way you've been staring at my daughter."

Jaw clenching until he thought it would snap, Verity managed to curb his anger enough to bite out, "Let. Her. Go."

"You first," Galbatorix replied, setting the now visible Eldunarí on the ground behind him before launching himself at the apprentice Rider.

He was barely able to swing Syrgjiat up in time to block the swing, unprepared for the sudden assault. They didn't cease as the possessed Belle launched a flurry of attacks so unlike her usual fighting style. High, low, side, side, high-wait, feint!-low, thrust. There was no rhyme or reason, only the clatter of brightsteel as the black blades clashed together. Verity didn't have an opportunity to go on the offensive, as he was too busy trying not to be killed, dancing backwards.

Eventually, he slipped up - literally. A root caught his foot as he stepped back to avoid another thrust, and it pulled his body down onto the mossy ground, cushioning the fall. Bringing his sword up an instant before Belle's hacked him down, he grunted at the strength behind the falchion as its wielder continued to press his advantage - also literally.

Sweat broke on Verity's brow as he struggled against Galbatorix. The other smiled as the boy's arm was slowly pushed back further and further. "Any last words for your precious Belinda?"

"Yeah," the boy said, and did the last thing the ghost king was expecting. He smiled. "Never anger a dragon."

The girl's face frowned. "What - " A thunderous roar cut her off, and the darkness was suddenly burned away by two twin streams of black flames. Spinning around, Belle gaped at the sight as she lowered her sword and whispered, "Raugmar?"

Now was his chance. Emboldened by Shrewd's strength and hearing the change in her voice, Verity leapt up and tackled the Rider to the ground, both of their swords skidding away in the process.

Pinning the growling girl down, he reached into his pocket and removed the bracelet. Sending a quick prayer for it to work, he clasped the bracket back around her wrist and waited, his hope growing as he saw the golden brown specks return to her eyes. "Belle."

"V...Verity?" she asked, blinking her eyes in confusion. "What...what happened? ...and what are you d-doing?"

Realizing her was still atop her, Verity hurriedly stood up and said in a rather loud voice, "Nothing, nothing but helping break you from Galbatorix's spell."

"I don't understand..." Belle struggled with her foggy mental state as he pulled her to her feet. "The last thing I remember is being at the Menoa Tree...and - Raugmar!"

I was wondering when you'd remember me. The trees were far enough apart to give both dragons room to land, and hers coughed up smoke before asking, You wouldn't happen to have any fireweed on hand, would you?

"Raugmar!" she exclaimed, tears gathering as she ran towards him. In her peripheral vision, she saw Verity approaching Shred in a similar, albeit less excited, fashion. Leaping upwards, her arms fastened around her dragon's neck as she began to weep.

Hush, small one, Raugmar soothed, wrapping both wings around her in his own embrace. I am fine, and so are you.

Hiccuping, Belle buried her face into his scales, still warm from his fiery entrance. You breathed fire, she congratulated him mentally, not willing to pull away so that he could understand her verbal speech.

The throaty rumble emerging from his chest signaled his pleasure at her words. Of course I did. What kind of dragon doesn't breathe fire besides a hatchling?

Guess you're all grown up now, Belle teased, the knot of fear that had been balled in her stomach loosening now that Raugmar was back at her side. Finally pulling away, she addressed him and Shrewd as she asked, "What happened to you two?"

"I happened to them." All four companions froze at the sound of a voice from behind them, and they all turned to see a living nightmare standing before them and holding the purple dragon's heart. "But please, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Areq, and I serve our beloved and temporarily deceased King Galbatorix."

"B-but you're a...y-you're a-a..." she stuttered, terror gripping hold of her. The creature before her was scarier than the dark (which she was too preoccupied to notice), a thousand times more frightening than the Ra'zac, whose eyes reminded her of Adurnaë's hair yet were somehow a much more sinister color. He, for it was a he, had papery white skin and long hair that reached his shoulders, a crimson curtain that only added to his overall terrifying appearance.

Delighted at the horror that had struck the human girl's face, Areq finished her sentence for her. "A Shade."

This is not an ideal situation to be in, Shrewd told his Rider, golden eyes narrowed as smoke rose from his nostrils. Only four people in the history of Alagaësia had managed to defeat a Shade.

I know, Verity responded, a grimace marring his handsome features. His hand went to his scabbard, and he silently cursed upon remembering that Syrgjiat was lying on the ground along with Sundavr somewhere nearer to the Shade than to them. Things were definitely not looking good.

"This was much easier than expected," Areq mused, his voice smooth considering how it also carried the cadence of promised death. "Both prizes are here for me to claim. I thought I'd have to hunt you down."

He was looking right at her, pinning Belle in place with that blood red stare. "M-me?"

"Who else would Daddy want to see?" the Shade said, amused by the vicious growl Raugmar uttered. "Now now, don't be upset that you didn't get an invitation as well. But you can come along with Belinda irregardless. I don't have time to deal with irate dragons."

"She's not going anywhere with you," Verity said, stepping in front of the other Rider and ignoring her whimper of protest. "And neither is that Eldunarí."

"Really? And who's going to stop me?"

"I will," a new voice proclaimed, one that was much more familiar and dear. Belle's paralysis was suddenly gone at the sound. "And I'm not letting you take my little sister anywhere."

Maggie appeared at her side, placing one hand on her shoulder as she glared at Areq. He merely looked even further amused. "And who are you to stop me?"

"I am Mahogany Liressdoter, Connoisseur of the Order, Rider of Miremel Ilumëohjarta, and one pissed off woman."

For the first time, the Shade did not look quite so confident. Belle fingered her belt as he drew a long sword from the scabbard at his side and pointed it at her sister. "You wish to do battle with me? I hope you are prepared to die."

"As soon as I attack, I want you two to hop on your dragons and get out of here," Maggie order in a low voice. "No arguments."

The sound of her blade being drawn masked Belle's own movements, and Areq laughed as he read the glyph on the sword. "Sverd? Was that truly the only same you could think of?"

"No, but it was the only name that fit," she retorted, raising her sword and fixing her eyes on the Shade. "It serves its purpose as my blade soon will."

Now it was obvious Areq was nervous. His attention was fully focused on Maggie, who he believed to be the biggest threat to him. However, as the younger girl slowly raised her arm, the true threat was yet to be revealed. Only Verity - and Raugmar, of course - saw it coming. As the elder Rider lunged forward and her sister's arm stretched outwards, two blades made their way to the Shade, and only one was deflected.

He was already preparing himself for Mahogany's next strike when a great pain exploded in his forehead. Screaming in agony, Areq reeled and raised his hand to find the hilt of a knife that was now buried in his skull. His maroon eyes darted around wildly to find this new threat when they met the brown irises of the girl, who was lowering her arm as if after a throw. Rage coursed through his veins, and though he could not kill Belinda, he could enact vengeance.

Areq raised a shaking hand, pointing it at her before whispering a phrase. She immediately slumped to the ground, causing the boy to run to her air as her dragon roared in anguish and anger. The Shade merely laughed weakly as the other Rider approached him, her hazelnut eyes glinting.

"What did you do to hear?"

Still grinning despite the pain, he wheezed out, "She shall sleep. She shall sleep until I come back for her."

"Why you!" Before Maggie could get her hands on Areq, his body disintegrated into a black shadowy shape that was soon dispersed. "Gods be damned! May Tartarus curse you all!"

She swore some more as Verity held Belle in his arms. He'd gotten her back, only to lose her so soon afterwards. "Wake up," he began gently, trying to keep from becoming frantic. "Wake up, please. You have to wake up. Belle, Belle wake up. Wake up!"

It won't work, a voice sounded in his mind. It belonged dragon who was not Shrewd though he'd heard him before, and he tore his eyes away from the other apprentice to see Raugmar staring down at him. Something in his violet gaze made a part of Verity break inside. She's not dead, but her mind has been turned off.

"It's the Shade's spell," Maggie stated from behind him, and the boy turned to see her carried the two black Rider swords and the Eldunarí Areq had left behind, her posture weary. "He said she'd sleep until he came back for her."

But how long can she survive in this state? Shrewd questioned, his tone analytical as always yet not emotionless. Unable to eat or drink or move?

"Long enough for us to find a cure," Verity answered aloud, rising to his feet with Belle's limp body in his arms. "There must be someone in Ellesméra who can help her."

***

"I can't help you!" Lanalynn Morningstar yelled, sweeping her books off her desk as she folded her head in her hands. There was no response, as always. There was never any response from Belle.

It had been a week since Adurnaë's birthday, and Lana was feeling more and more powerless as time went on. The brunette's condition continued to deteriorate despite the daily energy she was being given, her bronze skin turning waxy and her near-black hair losing its luster. Running a trembling hand through her pale golden ringlets, she looked upwards and sent another prayer to God, if He was even listening.

The elf had always held a love of knowledge, and she'd studied the ancient lost religions of the Grey Folk. Not all had believed in the Olympian gods and goddesses; a sizable faction had made the claim that there was a higher power. The so-called gods were merely existential beings with great power. Lana had become fascinated with this belief, and was a devout practitioner of the faith called Christianity.

She knew that she was blessed: the violet eyes that were indicative of a seer, the strange gedwëy ignasia that extended up her forearm, the glyph for "healer" that had been tattooed upon her left wrist. Indeed, Angela the Soothsayer had wondered for a time if it was a sign that she was to be Apollo's next oracle, but Elva had already been chosen. Plus, Lana didn't believe Apollo was actually a god. However, lately she'd been running out of options. Whatever gifts she had still refused to reveal themselves, and all the texts on magic and medicine offered no help, not even those from Du Breoal Abr Kvaedhya. And she needed them. She needed them to save her friend.

On the beside behind her lay Belle, her breathing even but much too deep. The blonde had exhausted all her resources, and nothing was working. Spinning her silver ring around her finger, she sent another prayer to God and then took askance (not praying) of Apollo. [I don't believe your really a god, but I know that you're real, and I know that you claim dominion over medicine and the sun. So please, help me now to save my friend. She can't die...not like this. Not when I can save her.]

The door to the chamber open, and Lana looked up to see Verity entering. He always came by at this time of day, but one this occasion he'd brought a gift. "How is she?"

"The same." She grimaced and then told the truth. "Somewhat worse. I can't find anything. I can't do anything."

"You'll be able to do it, Lana. I know you will."

The elf winced. They all had such faith in her: him, her master Niaomi, Belle's roommate Adurnaë. Even Roslyn believed in her abilities, but she was starting to doubt them herself. Changing the subject, she asked the boy, "What'd you bring her?"

"A flower," Verity said with a small smile, showing her the blossom.

Her mauve eyes widened in awe. "Is that a kuldrfëon?"

"It is."

Looking at the flower's metallic petals, a sudden understanding blossomed as her palm tingled. "Let me see it."

He obligingly handed it over, and the blonde reached inside its petals without reserve. The other Rider gasped, affronted. "What are you doing? That's a gift!"

"It surely is," Lana said joyously, laughing as she removed the tiny rubies and sapphires. Crushing them in her palm, she whispered, "Heill," before walking over to the girl and putting the powdery substance to her nose.

On her next deep breath, Belle inhaled the seeds of the kuldrfëon, and a moment later her eyelids began fluttering. Verity gasped and knelt at her side, his hand trembling as it reached up to touch her cheek. Opening her eyes, she looked at the boy and smiled. "Verity."

"Belle. Oh, thank the gods." He buried his face into her side as Lana watched them with a smile, sending a prayer of her own upwards as well.

*Andraya "Ray"

Dropped Out

*Lanalynn "Lana" Morningstar

***Six moths ago***

White, not a dull dingy white but a pure iridescent white. A white that reflect all other colors, making the room shine with the colors of the rainbow. If not for the color, she may have thought that it was just an ordinary stone, shaped by a master hand but as it begins to wobble uncontrollably, without anyone's touch persuading it to do so, she know that is not just a simple stone, nor even one imbued by magic. IT is an egg, a dragon egg to be exact.

Arya, her second in command, Takari, and the guardian of the eggs, stand around the wobbling egg, eyeing it curiously.

"Hand me the mirror Takari." Arya says never taking her glance off of the egg.

"Yes, Arya Dröttning." Takari replies. Arya can hear her voice portraying the awe that is, surely, sparkling in her blue eyes. She can hear Takari's leather feet, making hardly any noise on the marble floor. Takari approaches Arya once more and hands her the mirror. Arya takes it and hoping that he is there to help her, she reaches or the magic and whispers the words in the ancient language. The mirror comes to life, a dark grey mist roils on its surface. In a few seconds the mist subsides and at first, the only thing projected on the mirror is a white surface. Slowly the scene fades in, it appears to Arya that it is a simple bed room, a table to the left with a half-eaten loaf of bread on it, directly in front is a window, showing darkness of the night shrouding the area outside the room. To the right, she can see the edge of a bed, peaking out of the corner.

"Eragon, Eragon! Come quickly," she says into the mirror, anxious for him too answer.

"Arya?" replies Eragon, sleep still obviously coating his voice.

"The mirror, Eragon." She says, her voice cracking with a mixture of sadness and longing.

She doesn't want to admit it but every day her choice of staying behind still haunts her. Sometimes she even wonders if he would still take her if she flew to him at the very moment. Does he even miss me? Almost daily that question plagues her thoughts.

His face appears before the mirror, shaking her out of her thoughts. He still looks exactly how she remembered him, his dirty blond shaggy hair resting over his brow and he bright blue eyes smiling at her. For a moment she forgets everything and gets lost in his eyes, but only for a moment.

"It is good to hear from y-"

She cuts him off abruptly. "Something strange is happening Eragon." Urgency replacing the earlier sadness in her voice as she turns the mirror towards the egg, ever quickening its rocking.

"That's wonderful! Who is the rider?" he asks.

"That is the thing, there is no rider. No one has touched it." She explains.

Arya can see the confusion cross his angular face, his elven features still not as prominent as her own. "Only one explanation is possible, but it is quite unbelievable." He trails off and Arya looks at him expectantly. "It must be wild."

A resounding crack is heard, originating from the egg. A long crack is seen, stretching the length of the egg. Quickly, more fractures stem from it and soon the whole egg is covered with fissures. A small head pops itself through and looks around, eyeing each of them intently. Arya reaches out with her mind and touches its conscience.

I am Arya, queen of the elves, rider of Firnen, and friend to you. You are safe here, I promise you. She says in the ancient language, doing her best to try and convey the feeling to the small dragon, knowing that it may not completely understand her.

Arya, it is my pleasure. Arya's mouth gapes at the masculine voice at fills her head.

How can one as young as you talk so fluently?

You underestimate the ability of wild dragons. We are born to be independent as soon as we are born so we must be able to speak to others and defend our minds.

She relays all of the information back to the others and they are just as shocked as she is.

Do you have a name? She asks.

Glimdring, the first wild dragon since The Fall of the riders.

***Six months later***

POV: Lana

Flying was the most exhilarating thing I could ever have imagined. I felt so free, not bound to anything or anyone but Solista. It was just the two of them, no one else mattered.

Do you remember the first time I took your flying?

Yes, I was completely terrified but it ended up being the best experience of my life! I wanted to spend every minute in the air. That is until we landed and I could barely stand for an hour afterwards!

We both laugh at the memory and continue gliding through the brisk morning air. On the horizon, the sun is just beginning to peak its head over the mountains, its long rays illuminating the darkness. The rising sun shines on Solista's scales giving off a lustrous glimmer. Contrasting between the oranges and reds of the rising sun is a blue silhouette, steadily growing bigger as it approaches.

A smile breaks out on my face. I expand my mind and shout ERAN!

LANA! He responds with equal enthusiasm. I can feel Solista surge forward, pushing herself to reach Farran. I have noticed that she has seemed to take a liking to him but she isn't sure of her feelings. Ever since the incident with the Unseelie, Eran and I seem to be a lot closer. Just as friends. I keep telling myself but something inside me pulls when I say that. It is like a sour taste in my mouth.

Why are you up at this hour of the morning Eran? I ask him, expanding my thoughts to his.

I could ask you the same question. But actually I'm here to let you know that you are wanted at Tialdari Hall. Arya wishes to speak with all of the trainees. He says. Sometimes I wish he would keep talking just so I could hear his deep voice roll off his tongue like honey.

Oh, and do you know why we are being summoned at such an hour?

I don't. My only instructions were to find you and bring you to Arya Dröttning. Solista and Farran begin gliding in the direction of Tialdari hall, completely aware of our conversation, yet choosing to stay out of it.

And how were you stuck with the task of finding me?

He pauses for a moment before answering. I volunteered. I give him a suspicious glance but he refuses to meet me gaze. Prickling silence fills the air throughout the rest of the journey, and even though it was a short ride, the quite unsettled me.

Landing at Tialdari Hall, Eran and I unsaddle and walk inside the large oaken doors that stand closed. The hall is eerily quiet as we walk through it and into the conference room.

The room is rectangular in shape with window on the outside wall. The floor is covered in a green rug and on it rests a long ovular table. Seated at the table is Arya, Eragon, and the other fourteen trainees. They all look at me annoyed with my lateness.

"Please take a seat Lana and Eran, then we shall begin. I look around for Roslyn but see that both chars beside her are taken so I take a seat by Belle and Thiri. Eran sits on the other side of Belle with Adurnaë on his other side.

"There has been an incident." Arya begins, seeming a bit on edge. She looks to Eragon for reassurance and he nods.

"To get right to the point, an Eldunari has been stolen from the chamber and we need to find out who did it." Eragon says bluntly. Everyone around the rooms breaks out into a small whisper. "Quiet please. Arya and I believe that we know who has taken the heart-of-hearts but we need your help to assure this theory. Four of you will be assigned the task of finding this Eldunari and the thief, but we need to know, which four."

"I will." I say, without hesitating.

"I will go," I hear Eran say.

"Me too." Roslyn says and I smile. The three of us, just like it was the first time. Then suddenly a voice comes to life that I didn't expect.

"I am going too." Belle says. I can hear Roslyn harrumph even from where I am sitting. It is no secret that she hates Belle and Belle isn't too fond of her either.

"Then it is settled. The four of you will be assigned this task. Everyone else please return to your duties and whatever you do, do NOT speak of this." Arya says, stressing the point to get it across. Grumbling, everyone gets up exits the room.

He four of us look at Eragon and Arya expectantly.

"Who do you think it was?" Belle asks, he curious nature showing through.

Eragon and Arya look at each other, as if not quite sure how to begin.

"About six months ago, something happened that we did not expect," Arya begins. "A dragon was born that was bonded to no rider. A wild dragon." She pauses to let it sink in.

"We did what we thought was best, we let him be wild. We barely saw him once in the few months that was growing up."

"Okay but what does this have to do with the missing Eldunari?" Eran questions.

This time Eragon answers, "The last time he was seen was over two months ago but recently people have been reporting a white dragon about his size being see on the edges of Ellesmera. On the night before the Eldunari was stolen, he was seen circling above, doing his best to stay hidden above the clouds. The guard that was on duty at the time of the theft remember seeing a flash of white before being but into a deep sleep by a spell. The Elduinari belonged to Vrael's dragon Umaroth. We believe it was, Glimdring, who stole the Eldunari but we need you four to find both the Eldunari and Glimdring and bring them back safely."

I let it all sink in. "It is up to you now. Go with our hope in you and pray that will be enough." Arya says.

The two of them exit and leave us sitting in silence. Although my mouth isn't moving, the wheels are turning in my head.

"Okay, I have a plan." I say, the others turning to me. "I am going to talk to the Menoa Tree"

***

I place my hand on its rough bark, and breathe through my nose. Here goes everything.

I let a trickle of energy flow to the tree and through its limbs.

I am Lanalynn, hear my call, oh great Menoa Tree. I call though my mental link.

Who are you elfling and why have you disturbed me?

Menoa, I need your help.

Why should I help you elfling, you are of no more consequence to me than the ant crawling on my branch

I am the Voice of Nature, the one who is gifted with the ability to speak to trees.

A silence brews and bubbles as the Menoa contemplates her response. To the Voice, who saved me and my brethren from the Unseelie, I am obliged to answer your question.

Thank you. Do you know where the wild dragon Glimdring might be along with the Eldunari of the great dragon Umaroth?

You shall find him on the border between the Hadarac and Du Weldenvarden. If that is all please leave.

"I know where to find him." I say opening my eyes and addressing Eran, Belle, and Roslyn "How do you all feel about the Hadarac?

***

It was a long journey, especially since I had to listen to Belle and Rolsyn bicker the whole way there. Finally, at dawn on the third day of travel we reached the boarder. The sun burned down hot on our backs and I was thankful for the water. The dragons seemed to love the heat, basking in the sun any chance they could.

Instead of approaching the Hadarac on dragon-back we decide to do so on foot. Our dragons stayed up in the air, hidden behind clouds while we walked through the sand dunes on foot.

"Whose smart idea was it to walk and not ride?" I mumbled to myself as sand blew into my eye.

"Yours." Eran whispers into my ear. I grumble and walk on.

"Cast you minds as far as you can in every direction" I say to the others and they do as I said. I do the same and I find absolutely nothing.

"Did you find anything?" I ask but I cannot hear their responses over the loud gust of wind that just hit. The sand moves beneath our feet and as I try to steady myself I see something glint in the sun. I recognize the shape as the end of a white dragon wing. The wind must have exposed it from the sand. I draw my sword and point at it. I see everyone nod as we walk toward it.

I expand my conscience and shout, Glimdring, we are here as friends, not to harm you but to help you. In order to help you must give over the Eldunari.

The sand dune shifts once more but this time not because of the wind. Glimdring emerges from the dune with the Eldunari between his claws.

I am sorry. Is all he says.

It is okay Glimdring. But can I ask you why you took it in the first place?

He hesitates before answering. As a wild dragon, I am granted with many gifts bonded dragons do not have but they have some that I do not. All bonded dragons are born with the knowledge of who their parents were but we wild dragons are not. I wanted to know so badly who my parents were and since no one would help me, I took matters into my own hands. I took one of the oldest dragon's Eldunari and asked it questions about my past. I was going to return it the night after I took it until I found out who my father was. He stops for a moment to look down at the Eldunari. My father was Umaroth, the dragon of Vrael himself.

*Roslyn

I screeched in my sleep. It was happening more and more often now, these night anxiety attacks. I would yelp, weep, and scream in my sleep. The perspiration from my night terrors covered every crevice of my body and sheets as I bludgeoned my pillow and tore viciously at my blankets. My red hair would be so immensely drenched that my sorrel hair would turn brown and my jaw would become so forcefully clasped my teeth and jaw would ache throughout my whole face.

This night, I yelped loud enough to wake myself. I lay, saturated with my own secretion, heaving on my mattress. I brought my palm to my forehead and caressed it before closing my eyes in attempts to steady my breathing.

Gereth stirred from his nest abruptly, his eyes skimming me.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to wake you, I said.

My love, never be sorry. Are you alright? What was it this time?

You. And Belle, and the rest of my friends. You all were dead. There was blood everywhere.

My night terrors had occurred after the events at the edge of Du Weldenvarden. My mind had once been a passive solitude, where thoughts for only myself and Gereth resided. Now, I felt I was no longer secure in my own mind. When I had awoken from the terrors that had killed the doe in the forest, I was back in my dwelling here in Ellesméra. I had been informed that after Belle and I had been ruthlessly tortured, Solista and Lana had called Raugmar and Gereth to the scene who immediately returned us back to Ellesméra. Gereth had anxiously waited for me to come back to consciousness to tell my tale of the events.

After Queen Arya and the High Council were informed of what had taken place, Belle and I had been told the attacks on the forest had ceased. My assumption to why the attacks had taken place was to get that ominous declaration across to the Riders before whoever had caused the attacks could unveil their true plans.

The night terrors had begun shortly after I had become conscious, consisting of horrifying images of my friends, family, race, and home being ruthlessly destroyed and tortured. I had tried to search through the nightmares while they unraveled to find a culprit, but every time I had become remotely close, the edge of my nightmare would turn hazy and it would end only for another to begin.

I also began to experience the relationship between Belle and I periodically become more distant and then become closer. My assessment of the situation had been that both Belle and I were experiencing these visions and we felt it was solely the other person's duty to console the other.

Gereth rose from his nest, almost silently, and sauntered over to my mattress. He thrust his snout over me, exhaling hot vapor over my body. The cool scales on his snout brushed my cheek and I instantaneously embraced his snout with my forearms. I began to sob passionately; my throat began to constrict painfully and tears burned my cheeks.

Still clinging to his snout, Gereth carefully raised me from my mattress and carried me to his nest.

It is over now, he reassured me. I shall shelter you. Gereth carefully lowered me to his nest as if I was as fragile as glass. As I lay on his mattress, my body began to shake violently and I began to cry.

What is it now my love, do the night-demons still haunt you?

No, I said. I just don't understand why this is happening to me. It keeps happening. Even after all I've been through. Gereth collapsed onto the nest and with one large paw, he maneuvered me until I was against his belly. Still, I continued to sob relentlessly.

The gods give their hardest battles to their strongest soldiers. You are stronger than both these demons and your own. Everything will one day fall into place. You are mine, my love, and I am yours. Never forget that.

My sobbing ceased momentarily only to turn into silent wails. I curled myself into a ball as Gereth soothed me with his gentle caress. He stroked my back with his snout before lowering one immense, green membrane over me, and shielding my mind from further terrors.

I am old enough to be strong. I am old enough to be wise. Why do I still feel this vulnerable? Why do I feel this terrified? I am a coward, I accused myself.

The only cowards are these apparitions. No one is ever too old to be scared or naïve. You are only one piece in this puzzle, but you're the most significant. I will always love you, Roslyn, even if you feel as if no one else does and if you cannot love yourself. We said nothing further on the subject, as I slowly and hesitantly let sleep drag me into the abyss.

~ ~ ~

Roslyn. Roslyn, you're on guard today.

"What?"

If you don't hurry and wake up you're going to miss you shift. You're guarding the Eldunarí chamber today with Belle.

I opened my eyes abruptly to blurry surroundings and a sour taste in my mouth. I blinked with repetition until I could see properly. At first, I was confused at my location. A green tent seemed to surround me and I gingerly reached out to touch it. I found it to be of very soft texture and warm temperature. Quickly I recollected the events of the previous night. I scrambled to have Gereth raise his wing to release me from the makeshift cocoon.

I discovered that our room was still dark; with only one window and the candles extinguished, our dwelling was draped with shadows.

"Brisingr," I whispered as I hurried to my feet. The room was instantly illuminated, easing the continuous strain on my eyes. I struggled to rummage through my drawers and find my guarder's uniform. A dark gray uniform had been given to each of the Riders in case they were asked to guard the Eldunarí. Belle and I had been assigned the task relatively often in the months after the assault on our minds. We had also been routinely visiting the Healer for loss of memory or other side effects of the attack. This would continue for two more months until the Healer was positive our consciousness was intact.

Once the gray uniform was located, I bounded into the washroom to change. I quickly stripped myself of my night garments and dressed myself in my uniform. The uniform for females consisted of gray breeches, a gray cropped tunic, and a gray wrap which I wore as a headband.

In my impatient stampede I decided not to latch on my dragonclaw belt and only wrap Feahthum's scabbard around my hips. I also scurried though the careless mess on the armchair in the common room to find my black leather gauntlets. I hurried to slip them on as well as my black training boots.

I will be back at around noon when Lana and Thiri come to replace us. I will bathe and then I have to got to the Healer. I have training with Pælnor afterwards, I told Gereth.

Give my regards to the violet sun and Lothiriel when they come to relieve you of your post. Also, please try not to be irritable with Belle today, I suspect she had a similar evening to yourself.

I will make sure to tell Lana and Thiri you wish them well. If I am irritable with the girl it will be because of her ignorance, I said, putting emphasis on Lana's name. The 'violet sun' was starting to get on my nerves.

Do as you wish. I shall see you in a few hours. After your swordsmanship we have an aerial combat lesson remember?

Aye, I said as I extinguished the candles and exited our dwelling.

The weather outside of our dwelling was windy and humid. Thankfully the gray uniform had the cropped top and I would not soil it as quickly as a long-sleeved tunic.

The wind tore at my hair viciously, I hoped that once I had descended the stairs the wind's torrent would decline. I swiftly began to jog down the spiral staircase, sure to have one hand gripping the railing if I happened to trip.

My morning jog down the staircase seemed endless; the staircase seemed to remind me every time I ascended or descended just how lofty our dwelling was.

The wind, as I had hoped, began to lose its stamina the lower my altitude became. At the base of the steps the wind was almost completely deceased. I was winded and heaving; I grasped the railing for balance as I buckled over and heaved for oxygen.

"You really should put your hands behind your neck and bend backwards if you want more air."

I glanced up to find Lothiriel standing next to me. The elven girl, being younger than myself, was quite stout for an elf. She was very curvy, however, with wavy, platinum blonde hair. Because of the bright sun, her hair appeared to shift to a pearly white color. Lothiriel, or Thiri, had blazing emerald eyes, similar to Gereth's hide. Thiri and her amethyst dragon, Daenyris, inhabited a dwelling in the same tree that Gereth and I lived in.

Thiri sported black leggings, brown leather riding boots, and an indigo fitted tunic.

"Thanks f-for the tip," I said, slowly unconstricting my back, still heaving. "Why are you still here, don't you have group swordsmanship or something?"

"I've never guarded the Eldunarí Chamber before. I was given permission to observe your shift before I take mine."

"So you just waited down here for me? Sorry I kept you waiting, I had somewhat of a sleepless night."

"It's quite alright, you're not late yet, but we'd better get going." I nodded to her and after I began breathing normally, we headed north into the forest.

I kept my hand on Feahthum out of habit as we walked and I observed that Thiri, after noticing my grip on the sword's pommel, wrapped her fingers around the hilt of her indigo blade, Sercyll.

"Beautiful day isn't it?" Thiri asked, attempting to start a conversation. I shrugged, "Well enough. I'm hoping that we'll get a storm soon, I love the rain." Thiri scrunched her nose, but was quick to unscrunch it.

"What do you plan on doing for our rest day this week?"

"Sleep," I said. "I haven't had a good rest in who knows how long. Ever since Belle, Lana, and I went on that stupid quest..." I trailed off into silence. Ebrithil Eragon and Queen Arya had specifically asked the three of us to not discuss the events of our journey. I couldn't quite understand why, but our elders must have had a reason.

"How about you?" I asked. "Do you have any plans?" Thiri shrugged and kicked a patch of grass, "Not specifically, no. If it's a nice enough day Daenyris and I will probably fly to the Hadarac Desert and back." I nodded, acknowledging I had been listening. I didn't reply; instead I tucked a strand of ginger hair behind my ear and lowered my head to stare at my feet as I sauntered.

"I'm going to run ahead, Belle will be agitated if I don't get there soon. You can jog along if you'd like," I told her.

"That's alright. You have an obligation, I won't trouble you further." I replied with a grin and jogged ahead of her.

She's a very nice girl you know. You shouldn't be so quick to ditch her, Gereth said.

Stop eavesdropping on my conversations. She shouldn't be too offended by it, I do it to everyone. Gereth receded from my mind and left me to my own thoughts.

~ ~ ~

I sighed heavily, my breath aimed at a strand of sorrel hair that had collapsed on my forehead. I frowned, guarding the Eldunarí Chamber, in my opinion, was a waste of my time. It was also hot guarding the chamber and my whole body felt sticky and my odor was no where near pleasant.

The cave was behind me, the mouth sealed by a boulder only to be moved if an urgent request was given. It was extremely heavy, but one could roll it to the side with a spell.

Trees surrounded the cave which was positioned at the base of a hill with a sandy compacted 'courtyard' near the entrance.

Belle stood beside me at the other side to the entrance to the cave, appearing equally as bored. Lothiriel sat crossed-legged in the grass on the tree line. Her eyes were closed and her hands were in her lap. For the first thirty minutes of our shift she had paid close attention to Belle and I before she became bored. She had decided to meditate and expand her mind before her shift began.

"Roslyn, did you dream again last night," asked Belle. I tried to ignore her, but the subject was something only the two of us shared. Instead of responding with words, I nodded at Belle. I loathed being around her, but I couldn't help calling her 'friend.' We shared something I didn't share with Gereth, Lana, or Lothiriel; I shared it only with Belle.

Belle sighed and straightened her back, trying to appear professional. She wore the same gray uniform as myself, but her hair was pulled from her face in a tight bun.

She's trying to understand you. What does she have to do to befriend you? Gereth asked me.

I have to change before we can be friends. When I can stop being jealous and when she can stop being irritating, we could be very close friends. Gereth was frustrated with my behavior, I could sense it in the tone of his voice. I decided that we would discuss the situation later, and I too straightened my back. She had been spending far too much time with the Rider known as Verity. They had an intimate relationship as far as I could tell, and it bothered me. It had been something I craved, yet it came so easily to others that were not me.

"What was it this time?" Belled asked. Internally I groaned, I wasn't in a talking mood.

"The message that thing sent came true. All of the Riders, all of the elves, and all of the dragons were dead. I was dead too but it was weird, I was a spectator, I was a pawn," I paused. "Can we please not talk about it anymore?" I snapped at her. I was not in the mood. I was exhausted, bored, and I didn't want to talk.

"Yes of course," she murmured, almost in a whimpering tone.

~ ~ ~

"Time for your shift!" I yelled, trying to get Thiri's attention. Startled, her eyes flew open from her meditation and she collapsed backwards into the grass.

"What's your deal Roslyn, jeez!" I laughed at her before helping her to her feet.

"Lana should be her shortly," Belle said. "Would you like us to wait here with you for her?" Thiri shook her head, "That's alright. If you see her on your way back though will you please tell her I'm here?" We nodded.

"Where's your gray uniform?" I asked.

"Queen Arya said I didn't have to wear it this first time, but I did have to wear it the next time I guarded." I nodded with realization.

Belle and I waved our goodbyes to Thiri and we trudged into the forest. The greenery greeted us with fresh scents and the sounds of distant birds and the wind in the leaves ahead.

"I'm sorry I asked about your dreams, it is your business alone. I just thought we could help each other out with these visions," said Belle when we out of earshot.

"It's only right to be concerned, I'm not the only one with these nightmares. I snapped at you because I haven't gotten a good night's rest in almost two moons now. I'm exhausted beyond measure," I replied. She nodded and crossed her arms as we continued to trudge through the dense foliage.

"If it gives you any comfort I receive the same dreams on the same nights. At least in the back of our minds we can realize we're not alone." I pondered the thought before something stuck my train of thought, "Why don't we reach for each other tonight, in our dreams. Maybe if we can connect, it will be less terrifying and we can more thoroughly search the dream." Belle nodded as she walked, the idea assuring her.

"It's worth a shot," she finally said. "But we should practice now, so that we recognize each other's touch."

"Practice what?" I looked up to see Lana as she ambled towards us, her hands on her hips.

"Our mental strength," I retorted defensively. "Our magic."

"Alright, alright, I didn't ask your bathing routine," Lana said with a startled expression.

"She's just tired," Belle interjected.

"I guess! Have either of you seen Lothiriel?" she asked.

"Yes," Belle answered, "she's waiting for you at the chamber entrance." Lana nodded her thanks before sprinting off in the direction of the cave.

~ ~ ~

Welcome back my love, Gereth greeted me as I entered our dwelling once more. How was your shift?

"Endless. Boring. Tiresome," I snapped.

Those are only adjectives.... I ignored Gereth and strolled into our bedchamber. My head hung low along with my eyelids and sore muscles. I was tired. Extremely tired. Gereth eyed me curiously as I entered the chamber with complete misery and disgust.

Won't a hot shower aid you? Your muscles can't be too sore, Pælnor will demolish you in training and aerial combat won't be any fun if you're too exhausted.

"The shower will help, but I'm afraid that my mind is far too tired to concentrate any further this afternoon. I'll try my hardest to stay awake, please inform Ebrithil Eragon that I may be late for aerial combat if my swordsmanship runs longer than normal."

I shall.

I raised the teardrop membrane for Gereth and gazed in silence as he unfurled his wings and flew out of my vision. Sighing, I rummaged through my drawers, leaving the membrane raised, for a towel and clothes for after I emerged from the shower. I proceeded to the washroom grudgingly, reluctant to further any activities. In the back of my mind I knew I would fill my obligations, but the temptation to dismiss them was intriguing.

I entered the washroom and hurried to relieve myself of the burden of my soiled uniform. I tossed the clothing into a disorganized pile against the wall and summoned the hot water that sprayed from the shower head.

The droplets drummed against the porcelain as I quickly slid through the shower curtain. I flipped my hair until it was clear of my face and I lathered it with the water. I sighed heavily. Steam rose and water droplets condensed on the shower curtain.

My shower was short. Gereth had been correct in his hypothesis, the shower had eased some of my tension. Now, it was off to the Healer's.

I dressed myself in a rush, drying my hair with a quick spell and accessorizing as quickly and efficiently as I could. Reluctantly I began yet another jog down the spiral staircase, again balancing myself with one hand on the railing.

With no surprise to me, I was just as winded when I reached the bottom as I had been that morning. Instead of buckling forward, I experimented Thiri's tip. I entwined my figures together, formed a bowl liked formation and caressed the back of my head. I leaned into my hands, and sure enough, I inhaled more air than I would have if I had buckled over.

After catching my breath, I steadily began to amble towards the sea of tents in the elf-made glade. Unlike normal, there was plenty of activity in and around the area. I greeted elves who walked past me with friendly gestures as I angled my way through them in attempts to get to the Healer's.

The sea of tents was never-ending, at least that's how it felt to me. Maybe it was just the condensed space with all of the people, but I was getting impatient.

When I finally reached the tent of the Riders' Master Healer, Freyona, several minutes had passed from the time I had left the base of the tree dwelling.

"Freyona, it's Roslyn, may I come in?" I called into the large, leather medical tent. A voice quickly answered me in the Ancient Language, permitting my entry.

"Freyona isn't here at the moment," said the supervisor, Auryk. "She's out collecting herbs. Just wait on the cot and she'll be her in a moment." I nodded my thanks and sat down on the blue pigmented cot on the far side of the tent. The tent was so large that, even during the day, it was full of shadows. Lanterns, suspended by wires, hung from the crease in the tent's roof. There were makeshift shelves strewn across the tent with jars of herbs, ointments, and oils.

I crossed my legs on the cot, carefully maneuvering my boots so that mud didn't fall onto the cot. I hadn't practiced my expanding skills in a long time, so, I decided that while I waited I would try to extend my barriers. I closed my eyes and attempted to steady my breathing. I began to mute the sounds around me, so I could easily lower my barriers.

I succeeded in lowering my defenses. After lowering them, I was content to maximize my senses my mind drifted from its normal surroundings.

I collided with many a consciousness, mostly elves and humans, for they were the closest to me. Some of the minds I touched recognized my mind's aurora, but others completely ignored or rejected my presence entirely. I shrugged them off, and I continued on my, my mind exploring new territory. As I drew further from the elves and my body, I became closer with the forest and the wildlife. I brushed the minds of small animals and I grasped the essence of the foliage with my consciousness. I lost myself exploring the forest, I felt as if my mind was sinking into the trees and it was molding with the animals.

"Roslyn, Roslyn, wake up." I jumped, completely unaware of the events around my own body. My mind flitted back to my head, colliding with it painfully. I yelped when it collided as pain erupted in my skull. I blinked my eyes open as I rubbed my temples. Freyona stood in front of the blue hued cot, concerned with my condition.

"Are you alright Roslyn?" the tall, blonde haired elf asked me. "It isn't the apparitions again is it?"

"No, no," I said. "I was expanding my mind, my consciousness just returned to me rather quickly."

"Aye," she said with understanding. "It has happened to me many a time." The Healer was dressed in her uniform: a white tunic, leather overcoat and black leggings. She was tall, blonde, and her skin was fairly pink. She had sweet rosy cheeks to match her plump cheeks. "Are you alright?"

"Of course," I responded. "Just give me a few moments and I'll be ready to get checked." Freyona nodded and left me on the cot to recover; she began to refill jars of herbs. I closed my eyes, continuously rubbing my temples.

Moments later, I was disturbed by yet another abruptly perturbing noise.

"Roslyn, Roslyn, come quick! Lana and Thiri! It's an emergency!" I glanced up quickly, my eyelids flying open. The entrance flap to the tent was folded inwards, and standing in the gap was Belle. Her eyes were lit with worry and her dark hair was frazzled with static. I jumped from the cot, dismissing my headache.

"Where do you think you're going missy?" Freyona snapped away from her sorting.

"My friends are in trouble, my problems can wait." With my icy comment, I followed Belle out of the tent.

~~~

"I'm s-so sorry! I d-don't know what h-happened, it was a-all black, a-and when I-I woke up h-he was g-gone," Thiri struggled with her words. Her throat was tight, and scorching tears coursed down her cheeks. Her face was greased with saturation, and her nose was running like a faucet.

Lothiriel and Lana had been found unconscious at the entrance to the Eldunarí chamber when their replacements came, Lana had been found distorted with broken ribs. Thiri had been found with numerous cuts and bruises layering her epidermis, her sternum containing most of these blows. Thiri had woken on her own accord, but Lana had remained unconscious due to the damage inflicted upon her ribs.

Now, at the base of our tree dwelling, Lothiriel was wailing on Belle's shoulder, Belle attempting to soothe her. Thiri tried not to cry, I don't think I remembered ever seeing her cry. But an event as traumatizing as this, I would've thought her mental to not. An Eldunarí was stolen after Thiri and Lana had been knocked unconscious, and not just any Eldunarí, the Heart of Hearts that had been stolen was that of Glaedr, dragon of Oromis, Ebrithil to both Queen Arya and Eragon Shadeslayer.

Lothiriel, was also crying because she was also well known for despising being wrong and failing, for any reason.

I watched the events unfold before me, a hard knot in my throat. I swallowed hard, Lana was still unconscious. Freyona couldn't heal her ribs, and if she had tried with spells they would have healed wrong, causing her pain. Instead, the Healer had wrapped Lana in bandages soaked in minty ointments and creams. She had given Lana the milk of the poppy seed so she could sleep, it would also help numb the pain.

Thiri's flesh injuries had been severe, but luckily she had none that were internal, and she was quickly healed and placed under eye witness security under the Queen. She had told her tale, how she fought a hooded figure with a distorted physique. She described how its mental and physical power had quickly overwhelmed herself as well as Lana. I spell had been placed upon the both of them before knocking them unconscious, the spell's intention was to keep them stunned longer than nature intended.

She is a strong girl, so is Lana. They will, and should not, be held accountable for this monstrosity, said Gereth. Glaedr will be brought back safely.

I sure hope you're right, Gereth.

~~~

Faster, faster, I said. It can't get away! I urged Gereth forward vigorously, my knees gripping his sides. I was leaning forward in my saddle, the wind surging around me, my rain drenched clothing clinging to my skin. Gereth's wings surged around me, tossing my soaked hair and jolting me in the saddle. His nostrils flared intently, steam collided with the pellets of rain that stung his hide.

After Glaedr's Eldunarí had been stolen, Queen Arya had solely chosen Gereth and I to hunt whoever, or whatever, took the Heart of Hearts. She had high hopes for us, Gereth was the fastest flyer out of the dragons, as of now at least.

Gereth ascended, my breath catching in my lungs, the rain stinging my nostrils. The rain already stung my skin and Gereth's hide, but it was either rain or disdain.

"Skulblakas Ven!" I yelled, my vision becoming a tinted emerald. My irises turned from slate gray, to emerald, and my pupils slanted. I was viewing the present through Gereth's vision. With increased dragon vision, I could up to two leagues ahead of us, and the smallest details to the shimmer on the rain and the veins on the leaves could be easily perceived.

Not too far ahead of my flying steed was a black charger with a black hooded figure, ruthlessly beating his horse to gallop faster. Gereth would be on the charger in minutes, but our worst fear was that the hooded figure would shatter Glaedr, Eragon's greatest treasure.

My nostrils began to flare with agitation. I gripped the saddle in front of my with my left hand, my knuckles turning white, and my right palm was secured around Feahthum's pommel.

Almost there, almost there. Gereth's muscles bobbed faster, I could feel the burning sensation on his ligaments through our bond.

The figure had spotted us minutes before, even though we had been leagues away, a sign of heightened eyesight. This thing was neither a human nor an elf.

Gereth was above the charger now as it charged through the mud, water, mud, and gravel churning under its hefty strides. Gereth roared, his power reverberating in my skull. His roar didn't startle or slow the charger, but my dragon had trumpeted his challenge.

He pulled his wings close to his sides for the offensive dive, he was going to trap the charger. I leaned forward even more, squeezing my legs against Gereth's sides so tight, my knees became numb. His descent began, I felt my body lift from the saddle, my ears ringing with anticipation. He fell, gravity tugging him to the earth, begging him to defy it or we would suffer the consequences.

The charger spotted the oncoming threat and slowed its pace, much to the dislike of the hooded figure who continued to spur the poor creature.

Gereth landed on his hind legs, fanning his wings to startle the stallion, the impact jolting my from the saddle. The charger skidded to a halt, mud flying in different directions. It whinnied as Gereth bore down upon it, snarling at the creature on its back.

The hooded figure didn't appear to be frightened, but struggled to remain on the back of its steed. The figure did not intend on fleeing, his body language did not suggest that. Rather, he attempted to calm his mount under Gereth's piercing gaze.

The charger continued to dance, but the figure dismounted it swiftly, tugging harshly on the reins.

"Speak creature, enemy of the Riders!" I yelled, jumping off of Gereth's back.

It cannot, Gereth said, He speaks only as I do.

Your creature is correct in his statement, but this is not the only way I can communicate. I can speak in ways you creatures cannot fathom, a malicious voice resonated. It was cold, almost dead, like a moan. Before I continue further let us take care of something. The creature drew a falchion from a black scabbard, and swiftly brought it down on the neck of the charger. The horse whinnied in pain for a moment before limply falling to the ground, crimson droplets spraying onto the creature's cloaks.

My heart ached. My love for horses flared in my chest along with grief and rage. I scowled at the creature.

You have murdered your only means of transport fowl one, Gereth growled. A disgraceful move.

I did not plan on escaping DuWeldenvarden alive. It appears that our previous message didn't scare the Rider's enough, this should get their attention, the creature pulled out a package, about a foot in length from under his robes, concealed by wool wrapping. The creature unwrapped the object, only to reveal Glaedr's golden Heart of Hearts.

Out of habit Gereth tried to reach Glaedr's mind, but his contact was greeted with impermeable walls. Gereth and I stood very still. Any sudden movements and it would kill him, shatter him. But, our efforts were not enough, the creature before us tossed the Eldunarí into the air, and met it was the clanging of the falchion. The Heart of Hearts was destroyed. Glaedr was gone now, forever.

My throat constricted. Tears seeped from my eyes and my breath was stolen from my lungs.

"No!" I wailed, drawing my sword. "Damn you! Damn you and your wickedness!" I swung madly and tirelessly, only to be met with the obsidian falchion. Gereth wasn't going to let me die in my enraged state, he engulfed us in emerald flames, I was protected by wards. The creature screeched in agony and his flesh bubbled and his cloaks were engulfed. I was satisfied with his shrieks of pain.

The torrent of green was endless, and beautiful. When it ended I was overwhelmed with grief. I was mentally drained. The figure before us was now distorted and rugged. I wanted to know who these tormentors were, but all I could see was a retched face with eye sockets. It was ugly, disfigured. It would've been the same even without the burns. It was not human, elven, not even a Ra'Zac. Whatever it was it had a grudge against the Riders, and more of them were trying to get that message across, and strike fear in our hearts.

I kicked it. Multiple times in the head as I screamed. The corpse of the horse was also horribly disfigured and burned. Crimson drenched my boots. I prayed for the horse, thanked it for its life.

I cried and wailed for Glaedr, myself, my friends, and my race. I screamed repeatedly, my anger boiling. But when even that became mundane, Gereth and I reluctantly returned home, the shards of Glaedr in my arms.

*Lothiriel "Thiri"

"-and following the hatching, the pupa must feed. Now, can anyone tell me on what do the Ra'zac pupa feed on until maturity?"

Murmurs ripple through the classroom. Pages of carefully written notes are rifled through, in an attempt by those who don't know the answer to find it. Hands rise, including mine, and finally Ebrithil Eragon chooses Lana.

"As a pupa, Ra'zac feed solely on human flesh and blood," she says confidently. "Once matured, they will eat anything and everything that moves."

"Correct," he says. "Now how many of you have actually seen a Ra'zac or Lethrblaka, which, if you recall, are both their parents and winged steeds?" Again, hands raise, but fewer this time, now consisting of the elves and very few humans.

"Good, that's most of you. For those who have not, very few drawings and fairths have been made of them, however I have some here with me..." The rest of his speech is cut off as he bends down and picks a pigmented slate off of the floor.

"Will you not come and save me from this lesson? I already know all there is to know about these creatures, who are now, I remind you, extinct. I believe that Ebrithil at times forgets that there are some older than even him in his lessons, and yet even those who know must be forced to sit through lectures about what is already known," I complain, connecting my mind to Dae, who currently sits outside in the glade with all of the other dragons.

"Yes, well I could say the same thing, but I won't, as I am actually intrigued in what Master-Saphira-blue-scales is saying. Did you know that some little-round-ears actually know about the Eldunarí? How they found out, we do not know, but I believe that they should be strung up by their hamstrings for the black-wing-crows to peck out their insides. Common folk should not know of the most imperative secret of our race!"

"Yes, yes, of course." I groan internally. Like this, Dae will never be a good distraction. Grumbling, she pulls away from the connection, leaving me to the agony that is our lesson. Out of boredom, I pull a book from the leather saddlebag that sits beside me and start to read. I always seem to learn things from the books I read, before Ebrithil gets to it in our lessons. This particular book is about the Grey Folk, those who bound magic to the Ancient Language, long before even the Du Fyrn Skulblaka occurred; both things being immensely more entertaining than the topic of today's session.

Suddenly, muted shouts can be heard from the other side of the door. "Äftakaí! Aí Eldunarí hávro waíseí äftakaí!" they cry, their voices filled with misery, anger and despair. As they burst into the room, their cries only get louder and more distressed. "Argetlam! Argetlam! Aí Eldunarí Argetlam!"

There are three of them, all elves from Eragon's original group of spellweavers who assisted and attended him in the Rider War. Their delicate features are distorted with anger and worry, their eyes flash with what seems to be pure unadulterated hatred. As he hears the words that flood from their mouths like wine from a jug, his face turns deathly pale. Some of the humans seem confused, not catching the words as they spill from the elves; those that do are shocked. The elves in the room react immediately, some sinking to their knees, astounded, others, like me, jump up, filled with untamed and unequaled fury. My book falls from my hand to the floor, my chair topples over, joining it. Those who do not understand are silent, exchanging glances, realizing that something is deathly wrong.

When the elves stop talking, Ebrithil turns to us and takes in the confused faces of some, and the fury of others. In his eyes, there to resides our newfound anger and sadness. Slowly and silently, he sets the fairth down and sits down. Studying the table in front of him, he then explains, "For those who did not understand this exchange, I have just been informed that there has been an Eldunarí, a Heart of Hearts, that has just been found missing. This particular one contains the consciousness of Valdr, a wild dragon, who was killed by the Mad King himself." He sighs, his voice full of sorrow, then continues. " He is the oldest, largest, and strongest Eldunarí that we have, and it is imperative that we get him back into our hands as soon as possible."

My mind whirls, anger destroying any thought that I could have, destroying the barrier that contains the magic as if it were dust in the wind. My fingers tingle, the magic yearns to get out, to hunt down the wretch of a creature who would disturb the existence of one of the oldest dragons left in Alagaësia and kill it. In the very back of my mind I feel Daenyris. She tries to reach me, to calm me down, but as she realizes what induced this storm in my mind, she too becomes angry. We can all hear the growls coming from outside. The dragons must now know.

After a moment, Eragon speaks again. "Saphira and I have decided that one of you shall track the thief down, and return the Eldunarí back to it's rightful place. Any volunteers may step forward now."

Without thinking, I step forward. Out of the corner of my eye, I see another elf, Roslyn, stand and do the same.

"Perfect." he says, looking us straight in the eyes. "The two of you will root out this thief and bring him back here for questioning. You will leave immediately. You are dismissed. The rest of you..."

His words fade away as we walk out of the pine tree that contains our classroom and across the glade to where the dragons are gathered. They are a frightening sight to behold; the entire group have their hackles raised, lips curled upwards to show glistening white teeth, sharp enough to slice through bone as if it were soft butter. Many are growling, deep sounds that seem reminiscent of distant thunder. Their anger is discernible, matching ours. I can feel it emanating from the group, even from the dragons not bonded to me; the air around them seems thick with it.

Saphira Bjartskular senses us first. Lifting her massive head, she speaks to us. "So you are the two elflings that partner-of-my-heart-and-mind-Eragon sent to save Valdr." With one massive blue eye, she looks us over, inspecting every inch of us. The entire time, we hold her gaze. "You will do." At that, a small smirk flashes across Roslyn's face, her eyes lighting up slightly.

Suddenly, I feel a warm breath on the back of my neck. Whirling around, I find myself face to face with Gereth, Roslyn's dragon. His deep green eyes bore into mine, and I hear a deep, musical voice resonate in my head. "Hello, elfling."

"G-greetings," I say, startled.

"You will be joining us? You and Daenyris?"

"Yes. I assure you that w-"

"Good," he says, cutting me off. As suddenly as he entered my mind, he withdraws and steps back, kneeling down slightly for Roslyn to climb into the molded saddle strapped to his back. His eyes however, stay locked on me, watching my every move. Slightly shaken, I turn and walk towards Dae, who has humor in her eyes.

"I find it quite amusing that you are frightened by him. He is only a dragon, like me. Are you scared of me as well small one?"

"Of course not. And he just startled me. I wasn't really expecting for a huge, fire-breathing, winged lizard to be standing inches away from my face!" I retort.

"I would think that you would be used to it by now." she says. "It is part of the job to be around as you say, 'fire-breathing, winged lizards.'"

"Just shut up." I huff, clambering up her back and into the smooth saddle.

In one swift movement, they jump up, flinging themselves into the air, flapping their wings to get altitude. Once they breach the thick canopy, they fly west, towards the cave of the Eldunarí.

An hour later, after flying over miles of trees, we stride into the mouth of the cave. Acknowledging the elven guards on duty, we extend our minds towards a snowy white gem in the center of the room.

"Greetings Umaroth-elda," Roslyn says, her voice full of respect for the ancient dragon.

"Hello Roslyn, Lothiriel. And greetings to you Gereth, and you Daenyris as well." the old dragon intones, his voice regal and calm. "Why do you, at this moment, come to speak with me?"

"Umaroth-elda, we wish to ask you about the thief who ventured in here recently. The creature who stole the Eldunarí of Valdr. Ebrithil Eragon sent us to find Valdr and the thief. We would believe that you, or another Eldunarí would be able to tell us information that we could use to find them." I reply.

"Yes, yes, I think that we may be able to help you with this." Suddenly, the four of us are mentally barraged with hundreds of memories of a singular figure, in a black, floor length cloak, illuminated by the moonlight flowing in through the cave entrance. Every memory comes from a different Eldunarí, each with different emotions and impressions layered on top of each other. Recurring feelings jump out; surprise, helplessness, frustration, confusion.

"Late last night, an intruder came in cloaked in black, like a shadow. A spell was placed on us, a spell that made it impossible for us to act against it. We could not stop it, but we could watch. So we watched. Thankfully it only took Valdr and no others, nor did it take any eggs. Simply a single Eldunarí. As soon as it was gone, the restraints on us vanished. We tried to contact the guards, but it seemed that the thief had knocked them unconscious. A few hours ago, they woke up. When they did, we showed them what had happened. They ran out of here, fast as a dragon flies. We assumed that they would tell the queen, or Eragon Shadeslayer. And so we waited," Umaroth tells us as the flood of memories begins to slow.

"We stretched our minds out to find them both, but we could not feel them anywhere around here, nor in Osilon, the closest town. However, when we went farther out, towards Ellesméra, we felt Valdr's consciousness. It was only a flicker of life, but we felt it. It seemed to be at the Menoa Tree. We do not know why, and we do not know who it was that took it, but it is up to you to find it. With that, I say good luck to you Shur'tugalar. Gánga un atra du evarínya ono varda."

"Atra esterní ono thelduin, mor'ranr lífa unin hjarta onr un du evarínya ono varda Umaroth-elda." we murmur.

After a moment of silence, Roslyn speaks. "We should leave. Check the Menoa Tree, see if that is where they are truly headed. If they are headed there with evil intent, we all could be doomed. She is not helpless, Ebrithil Eragon and Saphira can attest to that, but with an Eldunarí as strong as Valdr's is, she might not be able to hold her own."

Worry clouds her stormy grey eyes. Her gauntlet covered hands have gravitated towards her sword.

"Agreed. Let us linger here no longer. They will be of no more help to us." Turning, we leave the Eldunarí to their dreams and the guards to their duty.

As we walk out, something catches my eye. I stoop down, and pick up a small piece of dark cloth. Upon closer inspection, I find that it is a piece of lámarae. Odd, as none of our clothes is ripped, and the guards' tunics are completely hidden under their armor. As I'm jogging to catch back up to Roslyn and our dragons, I come to the realization that it must have ripped off of the cloak of the thief. When I reach them, I hand Roslyn the scrap of cloth. She looks at it for a moment, before looking up at me.

"Where did you find this?" she asks.

"On the ground, next to the entrance. It was caught on a piece of wood that jutted out of the floor."

"Do you recognize the pattern on it? The Lianí Vine?"

"Yes. Of course! House Valtharos weave it into all of...their...clothes." As I say this, I come to the same realization Roslyn had. "But why would they steal an Eldunarí? The most prized possession of Lord Fiolr is a Rider's sword! Why would they-"

"I don't know." Roslyn cuts me off. "But what I do know is that we must hurry to get to the Menoa Tree before this thief does." With a final look of disbelief at the piece of cloak, I close her hand around it. "Take it," I say. "Hide it somewhere. A saddlebag, a pocket, somewhere. Keep it hidden, keep it safe. It is our only evidence against him." She nods, and runs over to Gereth. Sighing, I turn and leap into the saddle on Dae's back.

"You've been awfully quiet Dae. What are you thinking?"

"I'm thinking of how I shall rip pointy-eared-traitor-elf-Lord Fiolr's limbs from his body, one by one, as he deserves; I believe that Gereth feels the same."

I smirk as image of a legless and armless Fiolr enters my mind, Dae laying next to him, teeth bloody. "And you think that Arya Drottning would just let you do that? He may be a traitor to his own kind, but he still is a lord."

"He won't be when I'm done with him. There won't be enough of him left to even wield that sharp-green-stick-sword of his," she retorts, snorting in amusement.

When we reach Ellésmera, we head straight for the heart of the city. The dark, twisting branches above us and the roiling root system beneath us seem to give off a foreboding and ominous feeling that we cannot shake. Silently, we decide to split up, Roslyn and Gereth heading around the right side of the tree, Dae and I taking the left. Not even minutes later, I hear a deep, throaty growl come from the other side. Quickly, I tear Sercyll out of it's scabbard, the blade gleaming violet in the half-light. In great leaping strides, I run to the other side of the tree.

When I get there I see Roslyn, her emerald-colored sword also unsheathed and pointed at the throat of a figure whose face I can't seem to make out. Gereth has continued to growl the entire time, now I hear Daenyris joining him. Sword in hand, I run up and place myself beside Roslyn, the razor sharp blade I hold swings up to a position next to hers.

Arms trembling, she raises the tip of her sword up to catch the hood of the person's cloak. In one swift movement, she shoves it backwards and returns her sword to it's original position. As we gaze upon the face of our thief, I release a gasp of horror. It is an elf, but hardly recognizable. Deep scratches mar its face. Crimson blood oozes down its cheeks and forehead. Its eyes are glazed over, its mouth slightly parted, however, no sound comes out. It is dead.

Tenderly, I reach out with my mind, calling for Valdr in a quiet, calm voice. Finally, I feel him respond from under the body. Gingerly, I use Sercyll and push the elf's body over, flipping it, so that we no longer have to stare into the bloody gashes. Squatting down, I wrap my cloak around the Eldunarí and pick him up, staggering under the weight. Roslyn slides her sword back into its scabbard and helps me carry Valdr over to a patch of grass, where we set him down and sit ourselves around him. Together, we reach our consciousnesses out and try to contact him. We repeat soothing words to him in an attempt to open him up. No such luck. Finally, we stop and simply sit, waiting.

After almost an hour passes, we feel his immense mind reach out tentatively towards ours. I lower the mental barriers around my mind, and feel Roslyn, Gereth and Daenyris do the same. Cautiously, Valdr reaches into our minds, one by one, and goes through our memories, making sure that we have no intention of hurting him. When he gets to mine, I feel his tiredness, his weariness and transfer some of my own energy into him, hoping that the simple action will help him realize that we mean him no harm. Finally, after examining our minds, he shows us fragmented memories of what happened. No words accompany them, so we watch.

A figure in black. Arms reaching around him. Picking him up. Holding him. Anger coursing through him, yet able to do nothing. Darkness, surrounding him. Then, light. Miles and miles of wilderness. Hours of moving. Finally, stopping. Talking. "So much energy is within you, secrets long forgotten. You, the most powerful of the Eldunarí. That is why I chose you; only you. You can help me can't you? Your secrets; do they include one which can bring the dead to life? Surely they do. You must help me. No one else can. Lord Fiolr, knows nothing about what I need, nor does he know of this. He cannot help me, his own son. But you can. My daughter, she has died. My only joy, gone. The light of my life, gone. You must bring her back, you must! For I fear I cannot keep living without her." Silence. But during the speech, Valdr had gotten his power back. Anger filled him once again. But pity filled him as well. He reached out with his mind. The elf was delusional. One cannot bring someone back to life. He tried to explain that to the elf, but the elf, in his madness, would not accept it. He exploded. Anger poured from his mouth. He threatened to destroy Valdr, but forgot to restrain him again. The talk of destruction continued. Threats that replaced the pity with anger. With fright. In defense, Valdr took control of the elf's mind. It snapped beneath the dragon's might. The elf could take it no longer. He took a blade, a dagger, a knife. Cut at his face, his hands, his neck. Blood flowed freely. Finally, he died. His blood spilled into the dirt. Valdr hid himself, hid his mind. Until now.

After that, the memories stop. Appalled and shocked, I retreat into my own mind, blocking everyone and everything out. I couldn't stand to watch, but I did anyway. I can feel myself start to hyperventilate. The death replays itself in my mind, over and over and over. I cannot escape it. I curl myself into a ball, as if to shield myself from my own mind, for I have control no longer. I cannot breath, and yet I am breathing. I feel the air rushing in and out of my lungs. I cannot see, and yet right before my eyes, clear as day, I see the elf die. I cannot think, and yet I think of the elf. I think of how out of control he was, how I am like him; out of control. Suddenly I feel myself start to fade, and my last thought, is that I am not afraid to die.

When I awake, I am in my bed. My head upon a pillow, my sword, belt, and bow are all on a chair, across the room. Next to my bed, stands Ebrithil Eragon, a smile upon his face. Dae is laying on the other side of the bed, large purple eye, trained solely on me. I give her a weak smile, and look back at Eragon.

"Good work. Valdr is back with the rest. The body has been buried, Lord Fiolr notified; Roslyn showed me everything. I thank you for this service," he says, a ghost of a smile his face. "Is ther anything that you would like to add?"

After a moment's hesitation, I say, "I just hope that...people understand. He only did it to bring back his daughter. Nothing more. And I hope that people do not condemn for what he did. That, Ebrithil, is all I have to add."

*Adurnaë

Nothing has happened much lately after Leafian and I killed the shade I had been called shadeslayer which is different because i'm still not use to getting attention from other people let only the other elves. Training has being going good me and Leafian have being bonding ever since the close encounter.

Anyways back to what I'm doing. I'm walking over to the lake with drawing book in hand. I have a free hour for now. I sit down enjoying the silence of the forest. I clear all unwanted thoughts.

I sigh slightly escapes my mouth. I open up my book and grab my pencil that has been left in my book. I look around the beautiful forest so much green and animals are so full of life. Shifting my weight slightly to be more comfortable i look across the lake to see a deer drinking the water. The deer looks so peaceful and calm.

I draw the deer with as much detail i can on the page before the deer wonders off. My brown eyes look down at the picture i had drawn, its decent enough but not amazing like Marcel's drawings.

I grab my book and decide I will go back to the training area for the riders. I search my mind to find the connection between me and Lefian. I find the familar connection and look through Leafian's eyes to see that he is with Tenebere (who is Marcel's dragon) the black dragon is playing with Leafian while they await for their riders.

I get out of Leafian's mind for a bit to give him some privacy i walk into the training arena to see that i'm late. Shit. I quickly walk over to see that Marcel, Eran, Belle, and Mai sitting off to the side on the ground. I sit down next to Eran and Marcel. Both of them look at me suprised.

I think someone likes you little one Leafian says to me.

I snort in my head I doubt any guy would like me in that way and besides I'm barely sixteen yet.

Leafian just chuckles back at me.

I sigh silently and listen to what Niaomi and Murtagh are saying.

"Seeing as all of you have proven yourself as worhty oppenents to both your enemys and other felow Riders, so we are giving you all a schedule to who guards the Eldunari and the eggs room" Niaomi starts.

"The first two people and their dragons that will be on guard tonight is Adurnae and her dragon Leafian, and Marcel and Tenebere please be careful and make sure that you cheak the schedual to see who you have to get for the next shift" Murtagh says and winks at me.

He did that on purpose god damn it. Out of all the people he had to pick me and Marcel for the job. I sigh and reply back "Yes Shurtagle" both Marcel and I say in unison.

We both look at each and smile. All of the other riders and their dragons go back to their rooms for a break, some of them staid back and practised but seeing as its darker now.

I walk over to the schedual to see that its Belle and Mai who guarding after Marcel and I. It says that the time we have to get them or contact them through their minds is at 1:00am.

Looks like its going to be a long night.

~~~~~~

Marcel and I have being guarding the egg/Eldanauri room for four hours now, nothing has happend so far.

Leafian is having a riddle competion with Tenebere. I on the other hand have being going through my drawing book. Marcel has being sitting against Tenebere and is thinking inetenly for a while now.

I look down at the page that my drawing book is at to see a drawing that I don't remember drawing I frown at the page. It appears to be a drawing of two dark sillohoute's they are both turning downwards at a glowing light like round object, the room itself that they are in appear to be ruble of the sort. The two sillohoute's hands have a dark like magic coming out of their hands.

"hmmm.. this is a strage drawing" I mutter to myself.

"Whats strange?" Marcel asks me.

I jump out of my skin.

"Whats strange?" Marcel asks me.

I jump out of my skin.

"You scared me half to death Marcel" I say.

I give my book over to Marcel to look at the picture. Are you ok little one, you don't look so good Leafian says to me quietly. I nod my head knowing that if I respond I might spew up.

I look over at Marcel to see him frowning at the picture thats when I feel a dark presence close by. I shiver slightly and look around. Nothing.

I shrug off the feeling and ask Marcel "What do you think it means?"

"I'm not sure, are you sure you drew this because I don't remember teaching you how to draw sillohoute's " Marcel replies still scrutnising the drawing.

"I don't remember drawing it or rem-" I'm cut off by whoshing noise. I feel the dark presence again and when I look up I see two dark figures aproach us. I stand up and grab sword out instantly, Marcel follows suit. Leafian is standing to his full height towering over the two shadows. Tenebere being the darker out of the dragons is hard to make out.

"What are you doing here? Who are you?" I ask as i take threatning step forward.

The two sillohoute's say nothing. Feeling slightly frustrated. I realize all too late that they had been circling us with wicked sharp blades that glint in the very little light. Using Brisgnr Wyrda, I say in my mind letting the power flow into my sword lighting up the room in red and green flame. I aproach the sillohout thats closer to me and swing at him.

The sillohoute dodges. Both me and my opponent share blows that is until the sillohoute turns around and puts me in a headlock feeling scared I reach out to Leafian.

Leafian roars angry both because I'm trapped and that he is held down by magic, which I didn't realize until now.

"Stop fighting Rider or else this pretty elf will die!" the sillohoute holding me says to Marcel. I look at Marcel and shake my head saying no. But he wont look me in the eyes and nods his head in submission.

The other sillohoute that Marcel was fighting used the back of his hilt of the sword and knocked Marcel out cold.

Knowing that he is alive by the sound of his heart beat I sigh in relief.

A massive pain hits me at the back of my head making me fall to the ground unconscious.

-----

I wake up feeling pain going through my head. Why would my head be in pain? ...hmm I look through memory lane. The last memory I remember is looking at the drawing.

It dawns on me right then the two sillohoute's had attacked when Marcel was looking at the picture. Why would they specifically target then to attack.

I open my eyes to see that the egg door is open.

I see that the other three are still knocked out. Knowing that there is not much time before the imposters escape with the egg/Eldanauri. I grab my sword thays lying on the cold hard ground.

I walk into the room. Using my mind I reach out to the other Eldanauri and with my thoughts I ask quietly Is anyone missing and did you see who the imposters were? I inquire.

One of the Eldunari responds back to me They took Gladr and their is a shard of glass that one of the imposters stepped on from the vase they broke near to the left.

I thank the Eldunari and I see where the Eldanauri meant. I pick up the shard of glass to see black blood still warm their is also some piece of black cloth.

I run out of the room and using my mind I sent a message to everyone that was asleep to wake up and intruders alert.

I look down at my drawing in my book and to see that their is a message written down. It says:

To Adurnaë,

Please show up at this location alone, otherwise we shall kill the beloved Gladr.

sincerely

-Darkness.

What does this mean?

I have to save Gladr.

I run out towards the location.

----

I approach the cave to see the two imposters standing and waiting for my arrival.

I look up knowing that Leafian has my back if anything goes wrong.

Are you ready? Leafian asks

Ready as I ever will be I reply back.

I walk out of the shadows and towards the two imposters.

" I'm here now , so please let Gladr go" I say calmly.

They both chuckle a deep gurgling noise, making me almost shiver. I push back the feeling.

" Why ever would we do that darling when we need a sacrifice a elfling" one of them says.

My face pales instantly, using my elf speed and grace I jump over the two imposters grabbing the gold Eldanauri known as Gladr.

I pull out Brisinger Wyrda, I say the words in my head lighting up my sword in green and red flame.

The two imposters seem shocked at first then charge at me. Using one hand holding onto Gladr and the other swinging the sword at the first imposter cutting his chest heavily.

LEAFIAN HElP! I yell using my mind. The imposter I hit seems to be dying so I leave that imposter. The one thats still running at me swings their sword downwards at me. I block barely, until Leafian swoops in and using his magnificent talons he grips the imposter and throws it into the and shoots out green flame burning the imposter.

" There is more of us we will keep coming until every dragon,rider, varden, elf, dwarth, urgal is under our control or is dead" the dying imposter says coughing up blood and with that takes its last breath.

*Reona

Has not turned in entry

*Neemen

Dropped out

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

78.3K 2K 30
A little AU where Lucifer and Alastor secretly loves eachother and doesn't tell anyone about it, and also Alastor has a secret identity no one else k...
280K 13.1K 61
ပုံတိုင်းဆောင် +ရာချီဒွေး သူကြီးသားလေးနဲ့ အပေါင်ဆိုင်သားလေးတို့ကိုဖတ်ပေးကြပါအုန်းရှင့် တောရွာပုံစံလေးကိုမှ ကြိုက်နှစ်သက်ရင်တော့ဒါလေးဖတ်ဖို့တောင်းဆိုပ...
222K 34.6K 90
ပြန်သူမရှိတော့ဘူးဆိုလို့ ယူပြန်လိုက်ပြီ ဟီးဟီး ဖတ်ပေးကြပါဦး
153K 3.4K 60
imagines as taylor swift as your mom and travis kelce as your dad