The Disappearance of Jessica...

By WritingAvengerA113

BOOK 3 OF THE JESSI STARK SERIES. Jessica Stark has found herself on the run with the government at her heel... More

:)
1. The Disappearence
2. Maddox Lee Barton
3. The Farm
4. Ames Justice
5. New York
6. Coffee
7. Morgan
8. The Flare
9. The Bleachers
10. Lights
11. Pity
12. Justice
13. Bird Man
14. Better
15. Hallway
16. Jessi Stark
17. Anchors
18. Spider-man
19. Tonight
20. The Tower
21. New York City
22. Battle of the Skies
23. How it Ends
24. Feels like War
25. Home
26. Heartbreak and Celebration
27. Armistice
29. Be With You
30. Red Capes
31. 177A Bleecker St.
32. Loki
33. I Promise
34. Benedict
35. End Credit Scene

28. The Stare of a Thousand Eyes

7.9K 258 85
By WritingAvengerA113

      Rhodey and I stood together on the balcony that over looks the grounds of the compound. Multicolored leaves blew around in the blue sky. There were hardly any clouds, and the air was cool. Autumn was always my favorite season. It reminded me of a simpler time.

     A time where my Mother and I would grab hot chocolate at the local coffee shop in Washington D.C. A time where the only thing that mattered was getting E's and S's on my report cards. The time where my world was small and protected. I looked back on my younger self and ponder... if I had a time machine, would I travel back and change things? Would I have the courage and strength to somehow in someway keep my mother alive.

      She didn't deserve death, she should have lived. But if she did, then I would not have met my Father. I wouldn't have known who that playboy, philanthropist was, and he wouldn't have change. Who knows if Dad would be the person that is now if I hadn't have showed up. I'm not taking credit for changing him, or giving him a reason to correct his ways, all I know is that I at least played a small part in his journey of amends.

      I recall the first couple of weeks living in his home almost as if I was a ghost. He hardly noticed my presence. Later, after years passed, we became inseparable buddies. He taught be things, chatted about randomness, helped me through problems, he became the Father that I never had before. I knew that he loved me.

      I'd see it in the simplest ways. He'd cook (or have someone cook) my favorite meals, hang up photos of us, purposefully turn down the music in the car just so he could talk to me, stop by In and Out burger because he knew that their fries were my all time favorite. I could go on. On and on and on.

      But the one thing I always loved was when we'd just sit together. Wether that'd be in the workshop in Malibu or on the couch in Stark Tower, or even in the kitchen area of the compound. I'd work on homework and he'd be designing or filling out paperwork, and we'd just keep each other company. No talking, no nothing, just comfortable silence.

      "Don't think that I'm angry, or resentful" Rhodey said out of nowhere, breaking the silence between us. I had almost forgotten that we were standing together on the balcony. He was leaning against one of the crutches, his other hand was firmly on the rail. I shoved my hands into my jean pockets, my dark flannel shirt blow slightly in the cool wind.

      My hair was acting in its own way, dancing in the wind and getting caught on my lips. I tucked a few strands behind my ear "I just... want you to know that" his voice faded. I rubbed my lips together, feeling my eyes burn already. Just thinking about the damage I caused was bringing me to tears "I know that you were just trying to protect Sam, and I know you would never intentionally hurt anyone"

      I leaned my elbows onto the silver railing and stared down to the yard below. Some of the agents were below on their lunch break "...but I did" I said plainly "and what I don't understand is why you aren't pissed, why isn't anyone mad?!" I asked, raising my arms up in a shrug "Not even Secretary Ross is mad, I just, I don't understand" I let my head hang.

      "You want me to mad at you?" Rhodey asked, sounding confused. He raised his eyebrow slightly at me.

      "I feel like I deserve it" I replied. He should punch me, hit me with his crutch, throw me off the balcony. Do something.

       "Well, unfortunately for you, I'm not" he nudged me in the arm, gaining my attention "Im actually getting stronger every day. I should be good as new in the next few months"

      I looked up to him and crossed my arms over my chest "I'm really sorry Rhodey, I really really am, I never intended to do this. Your life shouldn't be like this, I..." I took a deep breath in hopes to hold myself together "I can't express how sorry I am"

      He gave me a pitiful smile and leaned forward, placing his hand on my shoulder "You were forgiven a long, long time ago Jessi" he said warmly. Colonel James Rhodes, War Machine aka Iron Patriot (that name still sucks btw), and also my friend. He's been there since day one. And I'll know he'll continue to be there till the end. I placed my hand over top of his.

Everything is going to be alright now.

                                       ***

      "What do you think about this?" Pepper asked me that next morning. It wasn't even 7am yet. I rubbed my tired eyes and looked at the shirt that my redhead Mom-to-be was holding up. The sun was just about to rise over the horizon and wake the world. Pepper was holding a purple blouse that would definitely suit someone who enjoyed looking like a purple pumpkin.

      "I'll just... stick with a t-shirt" I gave an awkward smile "but thanks though" I dropped to my knees and searched through my dresser in hopes to find a nice shirt to wear. Pepper shrugged and disappeared back into the closet. A pair of Hollister jeans rested on my perfectly made bed, all that was needed was a top to go with it "I'm nervous, Pepper" I admitted, holding up a t-shirt and examining it before shoving it back into the dresser.

      "I know you are" Pepper stepped out of the closet and closed the door behind her. She held a grey shirt in her hands. It was a plain long-sleeved shirt with a pocket on the chest. I liked that one. I stood up and she handed it to me "and it won't be easy, trust me. People will talk, and stare, it's what they do"

      I nodded, slipping the grey shirt on over my tank top. I still wore my pajama bottoms, still not ready to slip on the tight jeans. It's too early in the morning for that "I should be use to this by now... I've restarted at school a million times" a chuckle escaped my lips "At least Peter will be there, he's really all I need there anyway"

      "Oooh" Pepper nearly squealed and threw her arm over my shoulder "Is he your boyfriend, Jes?"

      "What?!" My mouth fell open "No! Well, not yet. He hasn't even asked me out on a date yet! Can you believe that?" I laughed out loud. He's such a weird fellow, but I like it.

      Pepper smiled, clearly just messing with me. She squeezed my shoulder before pulling away. I went to my bed and jumped into the skinny jeans, feeling how they squeezed the air out from my legs. These are safety hazards, no joke. I looped a brown belt through the straps and paused in front of the mirror before leaving my room. Sixteen year old Jessi Stark.

      This is my shot to start over... once again. Who knows how many more times I'll get this opportunity. I won't screw up this time, I'll be careful. I'm going to finish my education, go to college, and get a job that doesn't involve the Avengers. A teaching job would be nice, or a business owner, or a doctor! I hate needles but it could work.

      My short hair was down and touched the tops of my shoulders. Pepper was busy out in hallway, she was taking a business call. I ran my fingers through my hair and thought of Henry and Stephanie Morgan. They had already left while I was knocked out from the surgery. Dad said that they went across the world to Dubai or something.

      Who knows why they'd go there. Matthew Westbrook was off the radar as well, he probably returned back to his History Teacher job at Patrick Stewart High. He was a big help in the moment I needed him most. I'll miss that guy.

      "Miss Stark!" A voice called from outside my door, it was Vision. He stood in the doorway with his hand resting on the wall "a lovely breakfast prepared by yours truly awaits you in the kitchen"

I rolled my blue eyes, but hurried out of the room for the food.

***

      I stood in front of Midtown High, feeling my heart beat under my ribs. It was early November, multicolored leaves blew across the front stairs to the building. Kids my age laughed and talked with each other on the campus. They walked together towards the doors with their book bags on.

      I recognized a majority of these people from before I left. Behind me, Dad and Pepper were giving me grins along with a big thumbs up. They stood side by side next to the sports car. I nodded to them over my shoulder, seriously not wanting to return to school. Out of nowhere, a warm hand slipped into mine.

    His old spice scent filled my nostrils. I looked over to meet his deep brown eyes. He gave me a dimply grin. In a quick flash, a majority of my fears ran away to the dark alleys of my mind. If Peter Parker was with me, then I know that today is going to be a good day.
I adjusted my book bag over my shoulders and together we started down the walkway.

      Instantly all eyes were on me. They pretended not to stare, but failed miserably. I looked over to Peter "I feel as if I'm an exhibit at a zoo" I whispered to him, my hand still intertwined with his. My other hand wrapped around his wrist as I spoke to him "God, I'll never get use to this" I breathed, keeping my head down.

      "These people will never understand" Peter replied, making sure to hold his head up high. I watched the rays of the sun hit his wavy brunette hair, a few strands blew in the wind. I admired how calm he was, it gave me a a lot of reassurance.

      "I don't want them to see me as Iron Man's daughter anymore, Peter" I leaned against his arm which was covered with a soft red jacket. He always looked good in red "I just want to be Jessi" I admitted as we finally reached the front stairs. The eyes intensified as we took it one step at a time. Whispers were floating around.

"Jessi Stark is alive?!"

"I thought she was a criminal"

"Is that Peter Parker?"

"Why the hell are they together?"

      "That's what you should show them" Peter said, leaning his head towards mine. We were talking quietly so no one else could listen in. I met his eyes, wondering what he meant by that. People stepped out of the way to let us enter the school building. They were actual frozen statues "Show them whatever you want. If you want to be Jessi, then that's what you give them"

      I squeezed his hand tighter, admiring how mature he was in that moment. Even though I was a full year older then him, and soon to be seventeen, he had a wise demeanor to him. That's something I never noticed. The school building looked the same. The lockers were exactly as I left them. Flyers and papers littered the walls. Nothing changes here.

      "Jessi!" A girls voice spoke from out of nowhere. A tall blonde haired girl stepped out from the crowd. It was June. Wow it's been awhile since I've thought about her. She was my friend here, but that's was it. Sure, we hung out in the city and went shopping sometimes, but our relationship always halted there.

      I never told her the real things about me. She knew the millionaire's daughter side, not the actual me "Wow, look at you" she stopped us from continuing down the hallway. She cut her eyes to Peter, giving him a slightly annoyed look as if he was causing some kind of disturbance "You look good, it's been awhile"

      I never really noticed how fake she acted until this exact moment "Yeah, it has" I said in my most uninterested voice in order for her to catch my drift.

      "I always knew you'd come back" she lied "best friends always come back for each other, right?" She asked with a laugh, expecting a certain answer. Peters words replayed in my mind.

      I looked away from June and to Peter, giving him a warm smile "Yeah" I nodded, not taking my eyes from his. June's laugh faded "We do come back"

      Then we walked passed her to the first class of the day. That was the last time she spoke to me.

A/N : HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE. I'm thankful everyday for you guys, every single one of you. 

      I just wanted to say this. You guys are beyond unbelievable. I wake up every morning, knowing that I have an amazing Wattpad family. You guys keep me going and writing even when I feel like giving up. It has been an amazing trip, and it's not over yet.

     There are still some more chapters left in this book, and a recent Marvel movie *cough cough Thor* has given me a good idea as to how to end this book. I think you may like it, or maybe you won't... it's up to you to decide. Thank you all so much for your kind comments and messages, I read them all. You mean the world to me, and you've given me hundreds of reasons to be thankful this holiday season.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.7K 572 51
Book one of the Samantha Stark series When the one and only child of genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist Tony Stark becomes interested in on...
5.3K 383 30
❛tony stark has to live, you have to make sure of that❜ ↳ in which evi tries to win a battle that is already lost !the witch is back! fem!ocxpeterpa...
283K 10.2K 60
BOOK 4 OF THE JESSI STARK SERIES. "Show me where my armor ends, and show me where my skin begins" In the beginning, there was an idea. The idea to b...
3.8K 41 15
Book 1 - Based on first and second Iron Man