The Labyrinth of Shalace

By Skylinger

Callista's journey continues as she must rise Tutela Veneficus. Enemies and questions are mounting and findin... More

Astaroth and Minax
This isn't looking Good
A New Life Part 4
Something Doesn't Fit Part 5
Hello Part 6
Who is and Who is Not Part 7
Dream Meeting Part 8

The Labyrinth of Shalace

3.6K 157 40
By Skylinger

Author's Note: This is my story my creation and I own all rights!

                                                             The Labyrinth of Shalace

                                                                        Chapter 1

                                                                (Let The Ring Guide You)

The sun was shining brightly as Callista sat on a waist high wall waiting for Lola to finish eating her doughnut. She glanced over at Vardan to see him shaking her head. “Do you want to listen to her complain until she gets one?” Callista asked.

“No but it seems priorities are not where they should be,” He replied. “We are here for a reason.”

“Yes, and I’m eating one of those reasons,” Lola said proudly. “Whoa!” she said and caught some frosting that almost fell from within her doughnut. “This is heaven.”

“We did tell you she was a chocolate addict,” Brandy said looking and the group of Fae that had accompanied them to the mortal realm.

“How can she eat that much sugar?” Greer questioned. “One would think she’d get ill.”

“She ate a half dozen one night during a sleep over,” Callista informed them. She laughed as their eyes went wide.

“I thought Brandy’s mom was going to kill her; she was so hyper,” Jenna said. Lola stuck her tongue out at her and we all kind of winced seeing the frosting in her mouth.

“Mouth closed Lola,” Brandy scolded. Lola shrugged and went back to eating her doughnut. Everyone simply shook their heads at the redhead.

Callista was watching her friend eat the last of her doughnut when she suddenly felt an almost energy flow over her. She looked away from her friends and as her eyes scanned the area she noticed a tall man that appeared to be in his early twenties get off a bus across the street. Callista didn’t know why but she couldn’t take her eyes off him. He wore light khaki colored pants and a medium blue short sleeved polo shirt. A green backpack was slung over his left shoulder. As if sensing her his eyes turned her direction and for a moment they locked.

She watched as he got a look on his face of curiosity. Then he shook his head and turning walked into a three story stone and brick building behind him.

Something told her to follow him. Before Callista knew it she was on her feet and moving toward where the blonde stranger had gone. The teenager was at the street corner and crossing before she could even acknowledge that she’d left her place on the wall.

“Callista,” Cavin said suddenly at her side.

“I have to get to him,” Callista said. “I don’t know why. I can’t explain it I just…”

“Allow me.” Cavin opened the door and they quickly entered the building. Callista looked around unsure of where to go. “Feel.” Callista looked at him questioningly. “Let your power guide you,” Cavin whispered.

Callista nodded and closed her eyes. She took a couple of calming breaths and feeling a pulling sensation she turned toward a wooden staircase and began ascending the stairs. As she reached the second floor she turned to her left and began walking down the hallway. She passed a few entrances to businesses but continued on. At the end of the hall she found a door with a sun and a moon on it.

Quietly she opened the door and walked inside with Cavin right behind her. As she stepped inside she found herself in a small book store. She walked past a couple of round racks and a large book shelf before the space opened up to reveal a couple of tables. Books lined all of the walls and there were smaller racks of books sporadically placed around the store.

Callista walked past the two tables and headed further into the back. Normally she’d have questioned why she hadn’t seen anyone but her focus was on the blonde man she’d seen outside.

As a curved entryway came up on her right she stepped into another area of the store. She felt the pull of the magic and was surprised to see there was no one there. She looked at the bench seating against the wall and her eyes fell on the green backpack.

“Who are you?” Callista turned to see the stranger standing at an entryway to another hallway off to her left away from the windows and the entrance she had come through. His eyes were full of curiosity and something else.

“Do you truly need to be told?” Cavin asked.

For a moment the blonde man just looked at the captain. He shifted his green eyes back to Callista and then to her right hand. He picked up her right hand and looked at the ring on her finger. The ring he’d seen so many times in his dreams. Looking up he was surprised to find he was so close to her. “Sorry.” He immediately released her hand. Stepping away from her he looked out the window. “It’s true then.” Without turning around he said, “Shalace is real.” Slowly he turned to face the woman and man he didn’t know. “You’re the one we’ve been waiting for.”

“We?” Cavin asked.

“My Uncle Stephawn.”

“What’s your name?” Callista asked.

“Leighton,” He replied. “I’m sorry it’s just…”

“It’s a lot to take in I know,” Callista assured him. “I was raised here in the mortal realm myself.”

“Where is your Uncle?” Braiden asked. Callista was a little surprised to see him but said nothing. She had been so focused on finding Leighton she hadn’t notice anyone else but Cavin.

“Leighton do you…” Cavin and Callista turned to see a dark haired man enter their area. He immediately stopped. A book fell from his hands but he paid it no attention.

“Your Majesty,” he said in both awe and wonder. He immediately bowed to Callista going so far as to go down on one knee.

“Please don’t,” Callista said and touching him guided him back into a standing position. “Who knows who could walk in.”

“What service can I give you?” Leighton’s uncle asked.

“It’s time for Tutela Veneficus to rise again,” Callista told him. “The old and the new.”

“I may be out of practice but it would be an honor my lady,” Stephawn replied. He turned to look at his nephew. “It is time for me to retake my place.”

“And your nephew to join you,” Callista informed him. “I have been guided to him. His destiny lies in Shalace as well.”

“Let me get my trunk from the back and we will go with you.” Callista nodded and Stephawn quickly headed into the back.

She looked over at Leighton to see he was still in awe of what was happening. “Is there anything you need to get?” Callista asked him.

“The only thing I need is in my bag,” he replied. Callista only nodded. A few minutes later Stephawn returned and after meeting up with the others they returned to the Goblin Kingdom.

                                                            ********

Stephawn looked out at the Labyrinth. It had been many years since he’d seen the living maze. The Guardian had always considered the Labyrinth to be one of Shalace’s treasures. Hearing giggling he looked over and smiled at a couple of goblins passing by. The last time he’d been in the Goblin Kingdom was when Aidan’s father had been just a boy. How much the World of Shalace had changed.

He couldn’t help but smile as he watched his nephew play basketball. He’d expected to return to Shalace and had even been open to bringing his nephew. However the thought that Leighton would one day be playing basketball with the heir to Shalace had never crossed his mind.

“Are you alright?” Cavin inquired.

“Yes,” Stephawn replied. “I admit it is strange to see how much has changed since I was last here.” Cavin gave a nod he understood as he came to stand by the window next to the chosen guardian. “I left this world long before Shaylene and Abron came to power.”

“You were the one to take David into the mortal realm and hide him,” Cavin said knowingly.

“Yes. Queen Annalise sensed the end was coming. She gave me the task of safeguarding the heir to the kingdom. She used magic to slow time in the mortal realm while it continued here. How long do you think I have been gone?” Stephawn inquired.

“A few hundred years,” Cavin replied.

The older guardian smiled. “One would think but in earth years I haven’t,” Stephawn replied. He looked over at Cavin and said. “For me it has only been nearly 60 years.”

“What?” Cavin asked.

“She needed him to be grown up before I returned him. She wanted to regain the upper hand and felt it could take time before she could. She never meant for David to never return. Never meant for him to die here,” Stephawn said as a frown crossed his face.

“How did David die?” Cavin asked.

“He was killed in a car accident.  Another driver spun out of control and hit David’s car and sent his vehicle spinning into a gasoline truck,” Stephawn replied sadly. “The truck exploded and they were all killed. I was on my way to meet him. I had just found out he’d been to Shalace and was going to tell him he needed to return to Shalace. I was going to tell him everything. He didn’t know he was the king.”

“It’s not your fault,” Cavin said sensing the guilt he felt.

“I failed him. I will not fail her,” He said sounding determined.

“Do you know where the other guardians may be?” Cavin asked.

“No. The ring will guide her to them. It should alert them to her as well.” He looked over at Cavin and said, “My ring began to glow not long before we met at the bookstore. When she entered the mortal realm it announced the arrival of the heir. It probably did the same thing here when she obtained the ring.”

“She’s only had the ring a couple of days,” Cavin told him. “Her highness did not accept easily. She’s doing this for the people she cares about. She doesn’t actually want to be queen.”

Stephawn couldn’t stop a smile from crossing his face. “Queen Annalise didn’t want the title either. It only means she’ll be a good queen. One that will put Shalace and its people first.”

“Yes she will,” Cavin agreed. “Princess Amara has been chosen to be a guardian as well. So has Lady Marissa. They have some ability already but…Lola, Jenna and Brandy need a lot of training. How is Leighton?”

“He has had a little but not a lot. I was not in an area where I could work with him. I didn’t know about Brianna. I was not aware Alana had become pregnant. When David died I left the area. My mission was over. There was no reason to stay there and I was ashamed to return to Shalace.”

“Leave it in the past,” Cavin told him. “Our focus needs to be on training those that need it.”

“You’re right,” Stephawn said. “We should start working with them tomorrow.”

“Yes well believe me when I say get some rest because you will need it,” Cavin warned. Seeing the question in the older guardians eyes he said, “Lola. Brandy and Jenna are not skilled with a sword.”

“How bad could they be?” He asked.

“I’ll let you judge for yourself,” Cavin said and calmly walked away.

‘They can’t be that bad if they’re members of Tutela Veneficus,’ he thought to himself. It made him wonder what he would witness during training.

Author’s Note: Book 2 has now begun. Stephawn is very old. He only appears to be 40 but he’s a lot older. Leighton is in his early 20’s as stated. Leighton has not received his ring yet and neither has anyone else. Only the remaining members of Tutela Veneficus have their rings and Callista.   Alana will be in the next chapter. In this book you will learn more about what is taking place with the villains. Reviews are appreciated. =o)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

152 56 60
It all begins with Hope. Lies are told, people are tricked and lives are put in danger but Hope still guides the confused. Fear. One word that will m...
71 4 11
One bad choice can change an outcome and set off a chain of events that can destroy worlds. One coin has two sides... Light and Dark, Good and Bad...
951 144 12
Every scarred soul has a story to tell, but they choose to cover it up with lies. Not because they don't want the truth to be revealed. They're scare...
1.4K 73 22
When Adaline is taken to another world her whole life is turned upside down. She has to learn to use her powers and stop an evil from destroying what...