The Disappearance of Jessica...

By WritingAvengerA113

BOOK 3 OF THE JESSI STARK SERIES. Jessica Stark has found herself on the run with the government at her heel... More

:)
1. The Disappearence
2. Maddox Lee Barton
3. The Farm
4. Ames Justice
5. New York
6. Coffee
7. Morgan
8. The Flare
9. The Bleachers
10. Lights
11. Pity
12. Justice
13. Bird Man
14. Better
15. Hallway
16. Jessi Stark
17. Anchors
18. Spider-man
19. Tonight
20. The Tower
21. New York City
22. Battle of the Skies
23. How it Ends
24. Feels like War
25. Home
26. Heartbreak and Celebration
28. The Stare of a Thousand Eyes
29. Be With You
30. Red Capes
31. 177A Bleecker St.
32. Loki
33. I Promise
34. Benedict
35. End Credit Scene

27. Armistice

7.9K 280 90
By WritingAvengerA113

      There was still so much legal in work to take care of, and also tons of catching up to do. I'm still technically a criminal which is kinda funny when you think about it. The media was not yet aware of my return. Cameras did however catch me outside of the enflamed apartment building last week, but that's about it.

      I was doing my best to keep a low profile here at the compound until things settle down. My Father hasn't left me alone since my return, and if he wasn't able to be around then someone else would watch over me. Either Vision or Pepper would take his place until he returned from whatever he was doing.

       I spent a majority of my free time searching, searching for clues, or answers to my burning questions. Bruce Banner was still nowhere to be found, Thor was off world somewhere in the universe, turns out Natasha was working against us during the 'civil war' just like I was... so she had dropped off the radar as well. That didn't surprise me all that much. Almost everyone from before is gone. Clint, T'Challa, Sam, Wanda. I didn't like the feeling of not having them around.

Steve was just gone. No trace, no nothing.

      I was sitting on my perfectly made bed inside my bedroom. Outside the window, a man was mowing the green lawn. I found myself thinking about my Aunt Sharon. Who knows where she is now. I'm not sure if she was involved with Steve during the whole Accords mess two months ago.

      But then again I could be wrong, which I always kind of am. I sighed and set my phone down on the bed. There was nothing interesting on there. I laid back on the covers, turning my head slightly to see Steve's shield resting against the wall.

      "How much you want to risk?"
His words echoed in my mind. I could picture him standing in the hallway of the Wakanda facility where Bucky was refrozen. He asked me to become what he originally was suppose to be.

      "I risked everything" I said angrily, staring at the red, white, and blue shield. Bucky hugging me goodbye just before he was put in the freezing chamber flashed in my mind. I pushed off from the bed and grabbed the shield, with all my might I threw it against the wall. It created a dent in the wall and clattered on the floor unscratched "I'm no damn Captain America" I gritted my teeth "and I never want to be" I picked up the shield and threw it inside the closet under some clothes.

Then my bedroom door opened "Kid, someone is here to see you!" My Dad called.

      I exited my closet and closed it behind me, letting my back rest against the door for a moment "Okay" I nodded lazily, not meeting his eye.

      He noticed my attitude, and also the new dent in my wall beside the dresser. He linked his fingers together behind his back and inspected the small damage. I then felt bad, it's my first week back and I'm already breaking shit "We'll paint over this" he said simply "I've been wanting to put a new layer on this wall anyway" Dad removed his glasses and rubbed his eyes.

"I'm sorry" I apologized, looking down at my toes.

      "No need" he shook his head "How are you doing?" He asked, placing his glasses back on over his dark eyes. I kept my head down, my brunette hair fell over my forehead. There was so much to say, but I didn't know what it was. I felt almost trapped inside my body, trapped and the key to my escape was lost at the bottom of the sea. Dad sighed slowly and crossed his arms. I pressed my lips into a thin line.

      Part of me still felt lost even though I had already returned "You know, I haven't asked because something has told me not to..." I didn't meet his eyes, too afraid to hear the rest of what he has to say "... but you've peaked my curiosity, honey"

      "Are you going to marry Pepper?" I asked, hardly blinking. The diamond ring that she wore on her finger when I saw her yesterday stood out as obvious as the sun. Only one person could have given her something as precious as that.

      "Wh-" he began, caught off guard by my off topic question "W- Well..." he said slowly and sat down on the edge of my bed "That's the plan, that was always the plan" I rubbed my arm and nodded lightly "Jessica" he said my name and gained my full attention.

"Hm?"

      "Where did you go" He asked, but it wasn't a question. It was more of a demand. I took a deep breath. In that split second of a moment, I decided against the idea of telling him about Laura Barton and her kids.

      I chose not to tell him about Ames or my time at the Pennsylvania high school. He already knows about Henry Morgan, and that's all he needs to know "Why are you so reluctant to tell me?"

      "Because it's not about where I went, or what I did" I contemplated my words, knowing that they could be used against me "It's about what I found" he squinted his eyes at me in confusion and let his head tilt to the side "I found peace and disaster, love and heartbreak, friendship and betrayal, deception and truth. I found myself at the center of attention, and also in a place where only the street lights seemed to notice me" I pushed myself off from the closet and walked over to my Dad. He had his fingers linked together in his lap "and guess what?" the smallest smile formed on my lips "I discovered something... something that no one on this earth ever knew"

"And what's that?" Dad asked quietly.

      I thought of Ames and his death, how utterly horrific it was, but that caused him to reunite with Evangeline. They walked hand in hand into the sunshine until their bodies dissolved. I thought of Peter and his kiss. How I was sure that he had forgotten about me since I had left. He loved me.

      "I found that darkness only exists... to make the light truly count" I smiled again "that beauty is in the embers of a once blazing fire. Th- that my future is..." I looked towards the window of my bed room, allowing my eyes to scan over the beautiful green yard of the compound. My mind went blank for a moment, but then I quickly remembered the ending of my little speech "My future is brighter than any flashback can be"

      "Hm" Dad stood up from my bed and adjusted his grey blazer "Very poetic kid" he placed his hand on my shoulder "You should write a book"

God, if ONLY HE KNEW.

                                    ***

      "Now before you see this person-" Dad warned just as I strolled casually into the compound conference room. A man with a grey suit and white hair along with a mustache stood at the front of the table. He was well into his fifties. I stopped in my tracks "Secretary Ross" my father greeted awkwardly "I-"

      "You!" I pointed my finger, remembering how much I dislike this Secretary of the United States of America "You're here to arrest me, aren't you? Well guess what? I have the right to an attorney, I plead the fifth, I know my rights!"

      "I'm not here to arrest you, Miss. Stark. Just have a seat if you don't mind" he gestured his hand to the chair at the opposite end of the table.

      "Oh" I pursed my lips but did as he told. I sat down in the chair and linked my fingers together on the the conference table "This is very shady" I added. The last time I was in this room, the team was receiving the Sokovian Accords for the first time. It feels just like yesterday. Dad leaned against the glass wall with his arms crossed.

      Just then, the door reopened. I looked over my shoulder, feeling my heart immediately drop to the floor. The heat seemed to drain from my face completely when Rhodey limped into the room. He had to use a crutch to get around.

      I remembered how it happened all to well. Vision fired an energy shot from the gem in his forehead during the airport battle, and it was aiming for Sam Wilson. I pushed Sam out of the way, oblivious to the fact that Rhodey was in the path as well.

      He became paralyzed because of me. I felt my chest beat a mile a minute. He hardly noticed me as he made his way to Secretary Ross, holding a dark green file "Here you are, sir" Rhodey handed him the file, leaning against the grey crutch.

      "Thank you, Colonel Rhodes. Why don't you have a seat?" Ross offered. Rhodey nodded and sat in the chair a few spaces away from mine. Then he smiled at me. Like a friendly kind of smile, like what I did to him during the battle didn't matter.

      My eyes were wide with shock "I bet you're wondering why I'm actually here" Ross continued. I didn't answer "This is the warrant for your arrest" Ross opened up the file to show me the papers inside. I stared at the papers as my body flickered with heat. Was Ross messing with me? Did he want to see me at my most vulnerable moment? Was Rhodey here to make me feel guilty? I looked down to the wooden conference table, my lips sealed tight.

      Ross slowly walked around the table, passed the chair and right passed me. I watched him from the corner of my eye as he strolled to the opposite side of the glass room where the small trash can was placed. My mouth parted slightly as I watched him deliberately drop the whole file into the trash can without hesitation. He threw away the warrant for my arrest.

"W-what are you doing?" I asked, sitting up in my seat.

"You're free" Rhodey said simply. I looked to him, still extremely confused.

      "In light of all that has happened over the past two months, I've decided to drop the charges placed against you" Secretary Ross explained, placing his hand on the table and leaning against it "You may have been a traitor, but you did deliver Zemo to me, you took down April Killian and assisted in stopping that crazy junk gang led by Adrian Toomes. So, I thought that I should give you something in return"

      I leaned back in the chair and soaked up every word that he said. This crazy man, I can't wrap my head around him. He hates me, yet he is grateful. Pick a side man, pick a side!

      Actually, never mind, don't pick a side. We don't want another civil war on our hands "I, uh... I appreciate that, seriously" I looked him in the eye "that means more to me then you know" I smiled "You came all this way just to be nice to me?"

"Apparently So" Ross shrugged.

      "Does that mean that we have to be... nice to each other?" I asked with sincerity. It was certainly a question that was burning in the back of my mind.

Ross scoffed slightly "Of course not, just think of this as an armistice"

I laughed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.8K 41 15
Book 1 - Based on first and second Iron Man
8.5K 146 14
OVER 60K READS ON FANFIC.NET After her father was kidnapped in Afghanistan, Morgan Stark thought her life was over. But when Tony Stark returns with...
163K 2.4K 29
{FINISHED} This story is about Y/N as the daughter of the famous Tony Stark. Your powers are the same like Wandas and Steves. Your life isn't easy bu...
26.7K 572 51
Book one of the Samantha Stark series When the one and only child of genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist Tony Stark becomes interested in on...