Shadows of Hope

By MissKYLex

Faith is a regular girl hiding a dark past. She avoids attention in order to maintain a semblance of control... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14

Chapter 12

44 7 28
By MissKYLex

Faith's POV

If he leans in to kiss me will I have the courage to meet him halfway?

This sole question runs rampant in my mind, a pinball that just won't quit. Zade is staring at my lips with the hungry look of a lion about to pounce on his prey. The brown swirls in his eyes heat into a rich, molten chocolate. My desire for chocolate grows exponentially as his gaze consumes me.

All I can process is the nearness of his body. So close in fact that I'm cloaked in a delicious tropical scent reminiscent of peach, melon and pineapple. Leisurely, an involuntary shudder travels the length of my spine. I bite down on my lower lip, a desperate attempt to mask the sigh begging to break free.

Am I actually considering allowing myself to be caught?

Zade leans casually against the counter, lips curled slightly at the corners. Waiting. Watching. Smiling at the expense of my internal battle.

Getting involved with Zade would be like welcoming a hurricane into my life-beautiful, mesmerizing, destructive. But surviving the aftermath of having my heart ripped out a third time? Unfathomable.

Tossie enters the kitchen, saving me from doing something crazy. I leap back in an attempt to create some distance, only to succeed in jamming my butt into the silverware drawer.

"Sugar buns" I spit out roughly, wincing in pain.

Accustomed to my weird phrases, Tossie simply raises one blonde eyebrow. "When you are done playing with the spoons why don't you give Zade a tour?"

Despite my humiliation, I jump on the idea to get out of such close quarters with the only man who can make my temperature skyrocket and my pulse complete a marathon.

I shrug a shoulder and head out of the small kitchen. "This way if you want to see how the peasants live."

Zade ambles up beside me, a full out smirk on display. "You know Faith, if you had wanted to spoon we should have met at my place. I would have been happy to accommodate you."

Shooting him a glare I retort quickly, "That is the farthest thing from my mind."

The arrogant man winks at me before placing his hand on the small of my back. "I plan to occupy your mind for quite some time darlin', so get used to it."

We pass through the small living room and down the hallway towards the bedrooms. Zade stops briefly to admire the Thomas Kincaid painting hanging on the beige wall. Although it is a print and not the real deal, the beauty of a solitary cross illuminated by a golden sunrise cannot be contained in the parameters of a silver frame.

Tugging on his hand, I lead him into my tiny yet comfortable bedroom. Zade glances swiftly from my bed back to me before wiggling his eyebrows comically. I mouth 'no' as I pull him over to the best aspect of the whole apartment: my balcony. Opening the French doors, we are welcomed by a sweet breeze. On the outskirts of Nashville, the view of the city is incredible. I love living far enough away that I'm not suffocated by congested traffic and smog, but close enough to appreciate the lights at nighttime and the music from local musicians practicing their acts in the park across the street.

Zade leans against the wooden railing, smiling in appreciation of the beauty stretching for miles. "I can see why you both chose this place."

Peace settles in to my chest as I stand by his side. "Tossie and I like to bring hot chocolate or wine out here. We talk sometimes, but usually we use the time to simply be still. In a world with so much noise and chaos it's nice to slow down and appreciate the good things in life."

He nods slowly with understanding. Reaching over cautiously, he places a warm hand atop my own smaller one. "Sometimes the noise is of our own making and it becomes the hardest to block out."

Those solemn words pierce deep into the chains protecting the pieces of my patchwork heart. How does a superstar know anything about self-imposed prisons? Could there be more to Zade than his gorgeous looks and multifaceted talents?

I know I should lean away, distance myself from the magnetic pull which keeps placing me inside his tantalizing orbit.

There are so many shadows which haunt my daylight. Between my stressful job, that distasteful prank, and the denial of the grief I still harbor deep within the depths of my soul, there isn't much of me left to add to a friendship. Especially one with someone famous; whose life is always on display, being dissected by thousands of fans and critics each day.

I swallow hard, trying to dispel the lump in my throat. Zade immediately notices my discomfort and releases my hand. Wrapping his arms around me, I'm pulled tight against his broad chest. The sound of his heartbeat echos in my ear as I lay my head down, allowing someone else to be strong for once. Closing my eyes, I wrap my arms around his waist and pretend to be the happy girl I once knew. The girl who dreamed of dancing on stage and flying to the stars. Back before Hope was ruthlessly taken away from me and I learned what heartbreak truly means.

Seconds trickle into minutes as we stand with the backdrop of Nashville accentuating our shadows. Soft lips brush gingerly against the delicate skin beneath my right ear.

"How many walls do I have to scale until you let me help you fight your dragons?"

A sharp intake of breath and five heartbeats later, I allow myself to settle even closer into his grasp. "The prince of entertainment doesn't need to waste his time saving the maid."

Zade pulls his head away to look me dead in the eye. "Everyone needs saving, Faith. The journey to get there is what differentiates each person from all others."

Intelligent, talented and kind. He is way too good to be hanging around someone packing a semi-truck full of baggage. A slice of pain rips through my heart as I acknowledge how woefully inadequate I truly feel. I move to pull away-to distance myself-but bands of steel hold me prisoner.

"I don't know where this is going but I want the chance to find out. A chance for me to take you on date after date in order to get to know the real Faith, not the wax doll you portray to the world."

Zade's words both excite and a terrify me simultaneously. I am unable to hide the rapid breaths which accompany the fist-like pressure in my chest. My hands begin to feel sweaty, clammy. I watch as his eyes widen slightly, roaming over my face with a hawk-like intensity.

"I will be the first to admit, my desire to date a woman has never led to a panic attack before." His words are light but I can sense an undertone of uncertainty.

Perfect words. Overt displays of affection. These do not come easy for me anymore.  While my brain is steadily repeating  the word 'no' my heart screams 'yes.'  The tug of war plays out fiercely with my heart barely the victor.

Before I can process what I should do next, my body acts of its own accord. I place my hands upon his shoulders, secretly enjoying the way his muscles ripple underneath his polo shirt. My lips part involuntarily as I raise slightly up onto my tiptoes, my fingers grasping at the fabric in a brash attempt to bridge the gap between our bodies.

Resting his hands on the flare of my hips, he brings my body flush against his. I can feel a split second of hesitation before he lowers his head to capture my lips with his own. As his mouth brushes mine with a feather light touch, tingles of awareness flood my body to the point I almost believe I'm floating. The roller coaster in my belly races faster, completing loop-de-loops one after another.

The kiss is brief yet perfect. I fear the memory of this night, this moment, will be seared into my mind forever.  A paltry reminder of temporary bliss.

Zade rests his forehead on mine, gently brushing my nose in an Eskimo kiss. I feel, rather than witness, his smirk of satisfaction.

"Is that a yes?" His innocent question is accompanied by the sweep of one finger down the side of my cheek; light as a hummingbird's wings but potent as a Long Island iced tea.

Ready to take a leap instead of tiptoeing through life, I open my mouth to say the words he longs to hear.

"Zade, I" -the bang of my bedroom door flying open douses the intimacy of the moment. Kason barges onto the balcony, only slowing marginally to grab hold of Zade's arm.

"Paps are outside taking pictures. We need to get you out of here."

Zade propels me inside the bedroom, locking the French doors behind him. Kason ushers Zade away before we can say goodbye.  I collapse onto the couch, attempting to wrap my head around the intrusion of privacy.

How did they find him? Did they take any shots of the kiss? What happens now?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2K 104 18
Female OC Autumn Faith Brown has healing powers, and is usually withdrawn to avoid feeling physical and emotional pain from other people. However whe...
43.1K 1.6K 28
This is a story of a girl named Faith, who is a orphan, she lived in a village where orphans are considered the lowest. They are the servants of the...
84.4K 5K 50
| COMPLETED | ~ | Chapters are being Edited | #Wattys2020 ~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~~•~~•~•~~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~• He was a soldier, running towar...
71.7K 598 29
As a teenager, things start to quickly disperse and evolve as years go by and you grow older, such as romance, education, occupations, etc. And it se...