Chapter 4

Faith's POV

Catching the reflection of a young woman in the doors of FitNow I feel as if I am pulled magnetically to a standstill, unable to step inside. Dark bags underneath her eyes are in stark contrast to her pale skin and a wrinkled pant-suit, which has seen better days, hangs loosely at the hips and legs. Exhaustion is her only companion and a lonely one at that.

It would be so simple to pretend it's just the distortion of the glass which casts such a bleak image. That there really is a beautiful, fun, successful woman starting back at me. But reality, although perhaps not as palatable, is what lingers while the distortion of a dream bursts as the first ray of daylight peaks over the horizon.

A tap on the glass pulls me away from my own morose thoughts. Instead of my reflection glowering back at me I'm met with a bright toothy smile which puts my frown to shame.

"What ya doin' Miss Faith? You were starin' an awful long while," Asher Brown, grandson of the owner and self-proclaimed 'Towel Boy,' inquires with his refreshing candid take on life. He stares through the panes of glass, puzzlement creasing squiggly lines across his forehead, small hands gripping the handle as he opens the door to let me inside. "I don't see nothin'."

"Just thinking too hard Awesome Asher." Holding a fondness for a certain energetic eight year old, my mood instantly shifts from somber to content. I hold out my left hand to complete our secret fist bump-firework-finger snap-handshake. Sticky knuckles bash into my fingers, leaving remnants of peppermint and orange. Internally I chuckle. Asher has been sneaking candy out of Sally's desk again.

Skipping alongside me through the foyer, Asher maintains his puzzled expression. "Thinking too hard will hurt your brain Funny Faith. Try laughing more." At this he nods his head decisively, sure he has found the definitive answer to all of life's problems.

"Come up with some gym jokes for me and I will." Even as I say the words I'm grinning. Asher returns my grin before bolting down the hall to pick up a towel another gym patron has dropped. "Next time I see you I'll have a bucket load of 'em" he shouts, waving to me as I duck into the woman's locker room to change.

Chlorine, a floral perfume, and the stench of sweat envelop me all at once. Despite the odd combination of smells, I'ld bet my favorite necklace that the men's locker room has an odor that's ten times worse.

Quickly I change into an azure colored tank and short ensemble, pulling my hair up in a messy side ponytail, ready for whatever Tossie wants to throw at me. An aquatic center and all-purpose gym, it offers a variety of aerobics classes. I've spent many hours acting as a model of what not to do in Tossie's classes. Tonight is Latin Night so Zumba is on tap. Try as I might to hide in the back, miraculously I always end up standing front and center.

Exiting the locker room, I'm ambushed by a flurry of pink, black, and green. "Hey Cuz, so glad you made it." Tossie takes hold of my left arm and leads me in the opposite direction of the aerobics studio. "There's been a change of plans. Caleigh is teaching my class tonight."

"Oh." I shrug one shoulder in acceptance; undeterred by the change in plans. I'll get a work out one way or another. At least this way I'm not in the spotlight.

"I have a private hour-long personal training session scheduled and the client is amicable to the idea of you both sharing the time." Glee radiates off Tossie in waves, her mega-watt smile bursting at the seams. She should be in one of those dental commercials; her teeth are so white they make snow appear dull.

"Wait a minute." Gently, I slow my footsteps until she is forced to come to a halt in the middle of the corridor. "I think I'll just hit the elliptical tonight. It was a frustrating day at work and I don't have the will to play 'happy client' in front of your new torture victim." I take two hesitant steps backward toward the cardio-centered portion of the gym.