Chapter 12

Faith's POV

If he leans in to kiss me will I have the courage to meet him halfway?

This sole question runs rampant in my mind, a pinball that just won't quit. Zade is staring at my lips with the hungry look of a lion about to pounce on his prey. The brown swirls in his eyes heat into a rich, molten chocolate. My desire for chocolate grows exponentially as his gaze consumes me.

All I can process is the nearness of his body. So close in fact that I'm cloaked in a delicious tropical scent reminiscent of peach, melon and pineapple. Leisurely, an involuntary shudder travels the length of my spine. I bite down on my lower lip, a desperate attempt to mask the sigh begging to break free.

Am I actually considering allowing myself to be caught?

Zade leans casually against the counter, lips curled slightly at the corners. Waiting. Watching. Smiling at the expense of my internal battle.

Getting involved with Zade would be like welcoming a hurricane into my life-beautiful, mesmerizing, destructive. But surviving the aftermath of having my heart ripped out a third time? Unfathomable.

Tossie enters the kitchen, saving me from doing something crazy. I leap back in an attempt to create some distance, only to succeed in jamming my butt into the silverware drawer.

"Sugar buns" I spit out roughly, wincing in pain.

Accustomed to my weird phrases, Tossie simply raises one blonde eyebrow. "When you are done playing with the spoons why don't you give Zade a tour?"

Despite my humiliation, I jump on the idea to get out of such close quarters with the only man who can make my temperature skyrocket and my pulse complete a marathon.

I shrug a shoulder and head out of the small kitchen. "This way if you want to see how the peasants live."

Zade ambles up beside me, a full out smirk on display. "You know Faith, if you had wanted to spoon we should have met at my place. I would have been happy to accommodate you."

Shooting him a glare I retort quickly, "That is the farthest thing from my mind."

The arrogant man winks at me before placing his hand on the small of my back. "I plan to occupy your mind for quite some time darlin', so get used to it."